Bomb proof coloured cob, no real interest why?

Patches

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
As he had a damned good grounding with me before daisychain had him, i can vouch that he is 100% what she says he is.

He is a fabulous stamp of a cob...and he is rising 4...so more than capable of doing what DC has asked of him so far.

As he is a well marked leg in each corner type, i'm VERY surprised that interest is low, DC.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too JM. He'd be perfect for Hannah IF I was looking to buy this year.

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
He's very nice, but the wording of your ad does sound as if he's been rather 'busy' for his age. Perhaps rephrase; saying 'regular hacks' sounds like rather more than 2/3 times a week and 'several fun rides' the same. I'd play it down a bit. Also, as others have said; better to say 'rising 4' than 3 and a half. Perhaps remove one of the jumping pics?
Not that I'm a great seller of horses, of course!!
blush.gif

3BayGeldings

Visit site
This forum... anyone posts anything about a 2,3,4 year old horse and everyones hackles go up. "What do you mean you broke in a horse at 6?! I always leave mine until they're fully matured at 12.." etc
grin.gif

Like others say, i think generally people looking for a bombproof cob only look at the older ones and skip over the youngsters.

Kallibear

Visit site
Personally I don't think he appeals to any 'market'

He's too young to be of interest to the Nervous Nellie fraternity who want a safe and quiet bombproof cob, and are willing to pay the premium on one.

And he's too expensive to be of interest to those wanting a youngster to bring on. They're much less interested in his 'bombproof-ness' and therefore aren't willing to pay the extra.

His ad also sounds like he's done far too much. The level of jumping shown (a decent sized XC in the second jumping picture) and the amount of work stated (i.e fun rides) assumes he does lots of preperation, fittening and schooling to get to that level. He maybe hasn't (in which case he can't be as bombproof and experienced and therefore suitable for a nevous novice as you suggest) but your ad reads like he has.

I have a colour cob youngster a year younger and there is no way I'll be doing that much with him next year.

millitiger

Visit site
totally agree with Kallibear- he doesn't fit suit any particular market.

he is a nice looking horse but peronally i would turn away and re-advertise next spring as a 4yro.

Helen010382

community.webshots.com
I think he does suit a market imo.

I would certainly be interested in him if I was in the position to buy (which I'm not unitl I get moved - unless something 'really' special comes along)

I have ridden for years and have had youngsters in the past but have also had a big knock in confidence which with the help of lessons has improved. I don't want a dead to the leg horse. The idea of a youngster like that really appeals to me.

What he has done doesn't bother me either. He looks in good shape and it sounds like he has done it all at a nice gentle pace.

DC - I can offer you 20 quid - thats all I have in my purse. Oh and a kit kat
tongue.gif

Divasmum

Visit site
He looks like a very nice stamp of cob. I think that horses are just taking longer to sell at the moment. Perhaps give it a little longer and then think of dropping to £2,500.

Daisychain

Visit site
Thankyou everyone, your input is much appreciated! Thankyou JM07 obviously you know him very well, and know what work i have done with him!

I am negotiable on price i have stated ono, i think people are possibly frightened to make offers, but you have to start somewhere! And as i keep stating he is a real joy to ride, to me he is worth every penny.

AND HE IS NOT OVERWORKED!
grin.gif
He actually has a very easy life!

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
[ QUOTE ]

I have ridden for years and have had youngsters in the past but have also had a big knock in confidence which with the help of lessons has improved. I don't want a dead to the leg horse. The idea of a youngster like that really appeals to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep - I think there are buyers for this sort of horse - I could have sold him a couple of weeks ago to an older lady - small - looking for her 'last horse' (she was experienced and capable but just aware of her capacity to break!!) I sold her one of my 3 year olds who was larger - but she wouldn't have minded smaller!!

He hadn't done 'formal' fun rides - but hacked out in company popping over fallen trees and ditches, had met traffic etc and was as bombproof as a 3 year old (or a 12 year old!) could be. Since she's had him home, the only thing that has spooked him was a herd of cows galloping down a fence line towards him, but it was only a little spook!

I sold another very similar mare (3 - but bigger) to a younger - still capable - girl who wanted to do low level dressage and a bit of jumping - but mostly wanted a nice, sensible, unspoilt youngster which she could bring on, without having to sort out mistakes and ingrained bad habits! Said mare is now on a LARGE livery yard where no-one believes she is only 3 and backed 4 months!!

Both were sold for quite a lot more than asked for this very attractive cob!! A very quiet and sensible 3 year old who has been properly started - and is brought on properly - usually stays quiet and sensible - and SHOULD command a premium!!

I should add that I tend to send out 3 year olds who have been backed a few months as the 'sensible companion' for a JUST backed 3 year old!!
grin.gif

Daisychain

Visit site
Thankyou Janet, that is just the sort of home that would be great! Someone who has a nice seat and can ride, who wants a compleately no nonsense baby!

On one fun ride we were on, it was really funny because we came to the edge of a steep incline which led to a small stream, where you then had to scrabble up the other side to get over, my cob was up front and dived straight through without a blink of an eye, i turned round to see my friends 9yo horse standing verticle.... so we turned round and went back through to give them a lead!
grin.gif

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
I just think the right person hasn't seen your advert yet. I have seen unbroken 2 yo coloureds advertised for not much less than you're asking.

I don't think you've done too much on him, and he certainly looks well built enough to take the odd jump with a light (and good!) jockey. I would wait til he's four and try again then, then you will get people who do want a reliable PC/RC cob.

My last horse was broken and hunted as a 3/4 year old and hunted as a hireling. He was a bit tapped in the head, but not sure if this was to do with his upbringing, or was just him - and you certainly aren't doing anything anywhere near that
smile.gif

DarkHorseB

Visit site
I think he looks a lovely sort and am surprised you have not had more interest tbh. There is definitely a market for a horse like him. I always think Spring is a better time to sell though if you can wait. As he is still a youngster he would be better off not in the hands of a beginner and you are obviously very experienced yourself so he is used to a good rider rather than a bad rider - which can make a difference when they are rehomed particularly if going to a child. I hope you get him a lovely home where he is appreciated - he is the sort who will be someone's horse for life.

Also agree alot of Irish horses will have done alot more than him!

guido16

Visit site
Hes a nice looking wee thing.
Dont have a clue about Cob prices but agree that you should be careful not to attract a total novice.

However, have to put my 2 pence worth in.

Why are folks having such a fit about what he has done?
Jeez, its not as if hes been doing Burghley!

Nothing wrong with the work he has been doing. The experienced owner has no doubt set his work load to HIS pace.

I have my 3 year olds out and about. No doubt that makes me a terrible person. I have mine out competing (jumping) as 4 year olds.......shock, horror

Daisychain

Visit site
Come and try him lol! You wouldnt be dissapointed, but i do prefer 'Yorkie' bars
wink.gif

Oh just for anybodys concern, i wouldnt actually sell him to a novice rider, i dont mind someone who can ride but he is still learning after all.

Gemsie

Visit site
Hi Daisychain,

I think he looks like a fab little cob! I think some people are just a bit suspicious of a bomb proof rising 4 year old - I didnt think they existed until I bought my then 4 year old warmblood - who does have her occasional moments schooling (I think she tries to liven it up a bit) - but I have to say she has always been 100% bombproof out hacking - and we generally hack alone.

I know of another pony near me who was bought as a bomb proof 3.5 year old - for a pair of pretty novice horse owners - mother and daughter - I was unbeliveably suspicious when they first got him (if I am honest I just though the novice owner and young horse combination was a recipe for disaster) but again I have to say he is literally the perfect pony - and they have done fabulously with him, and are now taking him out to his first shows - its really lovely to see.

I think because this laid back, willing and lovely temperament is quite rare - people just dont think it exists!

Its also a pretty bad time of year to sell - I know a few people who are going to wait until winter has passed before buying, so they have longer evenings to get to know their new horsey, if I was in your position I would hang onto him over the winter, and then advertise in the spring.

He looks lovely, I dont think he has been overworked at all. Good luck with selling him, I am sure you will find him a perfect home,

Gem

lucys_stick

Visit site
Just to stick my oar in,my pony went to senior camp aged four as that is the age pony club allows them to go!He did schooling and jumping every day culminating in a one day event at the end of the week.He has certainly not suffered in the long term from having a busy,but not overstressed,upbringing.Things may have changed now of course as i last went to camp in 1983,but am still riding the same pony!!

Spudlet

Visit site
He looks lovely and I'm sure he hasn't been overworked. However I would look at the words '3yr old' and 'bombproof' togther, go 'naaah' and move on - but then I have a slight issue with any horse being called bombproof anyway!

I personally would think of a 3yo as needing at least some bringing on because there will be things they have not experienced and I would be introducing these for the first time. So would not consider such a young horse as 'bombproof' for that reason. Maybe you could try changing bombproof for something like 'sensible and safe' and then explain the bombproof bit when people enquire? Just a thought.

Pricewise I am not totally sure, I might have thought that price was a bit high for such a young horses but that's just my opinion.

So that's my two penn'orth anyway
grin.gif

I'm sure you'll find him a good home but it might take a while in this market. He looks a lovely type
grin.gif

3Beasties

Visit site
Good Point Mad Dog.

At Junior Camp this year there was a pony that was 4 and had only been backed 2 months, was doing showjumping, La Trec, X Country, Dressage and a chase me charlie. They were in the top group so it was pretty full on. The pony was a star, started off quite green jumping but by the end of the week was flying over everything, never stopped or put a foot wrong, they received the trophy for the most improved rider/pony combination and they thoroughly deserved it.

Helen010382

community.webshots.com
[ QUOTE ]
Come and try him lol! You wouldnt be dissapointed, but i do prefer 'Yorkie' bars
wink.gif

Oh just for anybodys concern, i wouldnt actually sell him to a novice rider, i dont mind someone who can ride but he is still learning after all.

[/ QUOTE ]

I ate the biscuit and raisin yorkie I had yesterday
frown.gif
frown.gif

itsme123

Visit site
I think he sounds lovely, and just what I'm looking for. Except his age. If i was to pay that much for a horse (and i wouldnt) I'd want something that's been there and done a bit more, maybe aged 7-9.

If I bought something aged 3 I'd always have in the back of my mind what it hasnt yet learnt and the hours i'd need to put in.
a 4yo is a different matter. Breeder I used to work for always said nothing sold aged 2-3, but as soon as they turned four people would snap them up. Bombproof ponies would always fetch a premium price (esp 14.2hhs) even at age 4.

Try again next year.

traceyann

Visit site
I would buy him i agree with the others seem to have done a bit to much but when i bought my three year old cob he had done the same and was bombproof and only fifteen hands when turning five he became a little s*** not bombproof and now a huge 16.1 ithink as they get older they get cocky but i still got him after fourteen years but three year olds do change but he lovely if he was cheaper would take your arm of for him

Theresa_F

Visit site
Not a lot is selling well at the moment. Friend has several nice coloured native/cob youngsters for sell but not much interest, or silly offers.

He is a nice looking chap - sounds very similar to my lad at the same age. At 3 I was only hacking with 10 mins schooling at walk and trot, and the occasional loose jump as my chap is more heavy in build.

We started cantering at 3 1/2 and a few very low jumps rising 4. He is now about to start jumping competitions at 5 but this is because I have been concentrating on showing so far this year.

On hacking, he would go past just about anything with no trouble. That said, he could on occasion have a baby moment so was not suitable for a novice.

At 4 he could be ridden by a confident novice but not a nervous one as he occasionally needed reassurance from the rider.

At 5, different little horse - just about anyones ride, but does have the occasional sharp moment as he is not a plod and far more stronger and confident in himself.

If you can, I would keep him ticking over during the winter and then do a few competitions - SJ, dressage, maybe XC and few showing shows and try to sell him in May.

As a four year old with a competition record, he will sell for that no problem, and you may find you will get more than you are now asking. Nice coloured 4 year old cob/native types with all round competition record will and do still sell for £4,000 - but the showing record was a good one. I turned down this last year for my boy - he is not for sell, I am too fond of him and I have kept all mine to the end.

If you can him registered with BSPA/CHAPS and get some of their shows under his belt that will really help selling and price.

Obviously it will cost to do this, so you may rather drop the price to sell.

I hope you find a great home for him - he looks a lovely honest chap, and will be a great little chap for someone.

Daisychain

Visit site
I think what some of the non professional people responding on here fail to realize is that i break a few ponies and horses in to sell on occasion.

When they are sold i want them to have a good grounding and be faced with most situations. Everything i have sold on to people has gone on and been a pleasure.... Everyone of those people keeps in regular touch with me...

If giving my pony a good start by hacking him quietly and jumping a few small fences is wrong, im a bit lost for words tbh.

To produce a pony properly takes alot of time and care, and thats exactly what he has had, he has not been rushed or phazed in any situation, he most certainly has not been galloped around and jumped on hard ground. He has actually done very little jumping, but is a complete natural.

Kat

Visit site
I'd certainly be interested in a sensible but young cob. As an experienced rider who hasn't owned before. Sadly he is too small as DH is 6ft2".

I think the ad reads a bit too good to be true. I'd change your wording to say that he has hacked alone and in company on the roads and in open country and always been sensible rather than talking about pleasure rides etc. Make him sound more like the fab baby that he is, rather than overselling him as a suitable for a novice type.

Maybe emphasise his propects for competition too as it is likely that you will be looking at more experienced buyers who will be more ambitious too.

He'd be a lovely show prospect as a cob or a coloured, and if his jumping continues well maybe a working cob too.

I'd take out the second showing picture as it isn't very flattering and the bigger jumping picture. Maybe add a nice head shot too.

Oh and I think he is a bit pricey for his age and size.

Looks super though, if i (and DH) was shorter I'd be round for a look!

walkingman

Visit site
I think you're right about the non-professionals, but I would also guess that its the 'non-professionals' who will be looking at your advert.

He looks fantastic, and I wouldn't mind betting he's worth every penny of what you're asking, but maybe the response here demonstrates that if you reworded the advert you'd have far more takers.

Either that, or leave him til he's 4 and get even more for him?

Either way, you've obviously done a sterling job on him, good luck with getting him sold for a decent amount.

MagicMelon

Visit site
Not sure why you're referring to "non-professional" people. It makes no difference to us if you have bought and sold horses & ponies before. So have I, doesn't make me a professional - I do it for fun. What Im saying is that I know plenty of "professionals" who I would not touch with a barge pole to back a horse!

I also would not touch a 3yo who'd done so much, but then I wouldn't even BEGIN backing them until they were very nearly 4. I think in the advert, your horse looks really nice but I do personally think he's done too much already. I think he's not selling purely because of his age and the fact that most people looking for sensible cobs generally wouldn't consider a horse so young.

Maisy

Visit site
I also dont understand the 'professional' comment. You asked WHY you had got no interest.....people are expressing their opinions as to WHY......

I am not professional. I have never claimed to be. I dont know you, and quite frankly, dont care how much work your youngster is doing, as I am sure you know what he is ready for.....I was trying to be constructive........