Bone spurs on hocks

Michen

Visit site
I agree that he's a lucky boy to have you and I know you'll your best for him. My lad went lame three or four years ago now. I used to compete BE with him but as soon as he went lame I forgot about all of that and set my stall out that I just wanted to get him back to hacking again. He's my horse of a lifetime and it was far more important to me that he's here than anything else so all the schooling and stuff just went out of the window. I've never missed the competing and life is less stressful without it anyway.

I get the impression from what you say that you feel the same about Ludo as I do about my horse. If so I think you'll be happy just to do whatever you can with him because it's being together and enjoying life with each other that matters the most.

Totally agree with this. As much as it can pang when you truly love a horse in this way you just want them alive and happy and anything else is a bonus.

I’d give up ever riding again so long as my horse lives a long, happy life. Any ride is a bonus on top of loving the horse itself.

It’s not often you find a horse that you feel like that about, so it’s amazing when you do

scats

Visit site
So sorry to read this update ycbm, I completely missed this since your earlier postings. I’m so sorry to hear about Ludo, I’m in a semi similar situation in that i was told Millie would likely only be able to hack last year, after discovering she has navicular and arthritis in various joints.

Ludo is very lucky to have you x

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
So sorry to read this update ycbm, I completely missed this since your earlier postings. I’m so sorry to hear about Ludo, I’m in a semi similar situation in that i was told Millie would likely only be able to hack last year, after discovering she has navicular and arthritis in various joints.

Ludo is very lucky to have you x

I know I'm lucky that this is something which should be able to be prevented from ever coming back simply by not repeating the exercises which caused it. You don't have that with Millie, and I should be more grateful for the positives I have.

I'm struggling this morning to work out how to do a walk rehab from the yard. The journey to go anywhere will be work in itself for those feet (and he is travelling badly, it was one of the first signs), which would leave me a hack so short as to be impractical to start with.

I think I will have to risk the road downwards, which is safer than the fast blind bends upwards. We're all having the weekend off first though, the OH deserves it, he's been so supportive.

scats

Visit site
I know I'm lucky that this is something which should be able to be prevented from ever coming back simply by not repeating the exercises which caused it. You don't have that with Millie, and I should be more grateful for the positives I have.

I'm struggling this morning to work out how to do a walk rehab from the yard. The journey to go anywhere will be work in itself for those feet (and he is travelling badly, it was one of the first signs), which would leave me a hack so short as to be impractical to start with.

I think I will have to risk the road downwards, which is safer than the fast blind bends upwards. We're all having the weekend off first though, the OH deserves it, he's been so supportive.

I am likely moving yards this year, as I need better hacking. We have an on-site route that is great, but it gets repetitive and I need to be able to venture out for longer. Millie isn’t great on roads because she can get nappy. I have places I can box to within a short distance but it’s not always practical and ends up taking a huge chunk of a day up rather than just 1-2 hours.

I echo TPs recommendation about Angela Holland. If you wanted someone to help with his general comfort and way of going during the rehab. She treats both my girls and has been fantastic, particularly with getting Polly to where she is now. She was the one who recommended Mark Andrews to see Millie about her performance issues, and he has been absolutely fantastic with her too.