Bramham horse trials accident

Visit site
Are all all-weather race tracks bad? I thought if not waxed, they could have their own slip, like the older non waxed arena surfaces do.

I hire the all-weather track at Lingfield about once a month for faster work. Though I have noticed if they have deep harrowed it, my horses go a lot faster on the grass gallops we have access to at home.

To be honest I try and stay as far away from beach donkey Derby racing as I can! I end up at Wolverhampton every so often with a 5f sprinter sometimes but I don't take much notice of the track itself soni couldn't tell you what or how much wax is in it.

Galloping on all weather is fine every so often. Our heavier jump horses don't like it as it rides too fast for them and the flat horses we run on it more often than not have joint issues. So I wouldn't say it is great in the long run with lots of use.

Jump racing and show jumping on a surface are 2 entirely different things. Jump racing you need that extra bit of give and slippage on take off and especially landing to make it safer for the horses. They are going a lot faster and are more skimming over jumps and landing with their legs out in front of them so they need the give to take up part of the impact. Show jumpers are up and down and land with their legs almost underneath them. They don't need as much slippage but more of a springy give under foot.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
All passports go back to the BHA when a horse dies. You do not need to tell them why or how it died so whilst they would have accurate data of on track fatalities they will not have accurate data for horses at yards.

The BHA used to publish statistics of where horses had gone when they left training. (As an aside, they used a 3 dimensional representation of a pie chart which is, statistically, a complete fraud which I'll explain if anyone wants me to.) But somebody pointed out that all the horses that were marked as having gone to stud couldn't possibly be at stud otherwise the studs would be overflowing, and shortly after that (whether it was connected I don't know) I've been unable to find clear figures on what happens to horses when they leave training.

Maddie Moo

Visit site
The BHA is now putting together a new tracing system for all UK racehorses. It’ll be interesting to see how it all pans out.

The BHA is also developing an all-encompassing and integrated thoroughbred database as part of its “whole life” approach to equine welfare. This database will combine information gleaned from 30-day foal notification, throughout a horse’s racing career and post-retirement.

The database will allow the BHA to make defined, appropriate, evidence-based welfare decisions for thoroughbreds. It will also enable us to identify any gaps through which animals are being lost from the industry.

I can’t remember who was asking but the fatality and falling rate is here going back to 1994 and 1997 respectively.

I wish they would follow in line with many of the US state racing commissions that release details of horses specifically eg NYS gaming commission. It not only improves transparency but also prevents groups like AA from spreading misinformation. For starters they cannot be aware of the specifics of injuries unless they have X-ray vision as this information is not available to the general public (unless of course a trainer discloses injury specifics).