Breaking in saddle?

charliesarmy

Visit site
Looking to next summer and my (will then be 3 year old) was thinking of saddling him, but just wondering what to use? Try and get a cheap synthetic,a adjustable,or just keep buying as he changes shape (costly) what do you do?!?!

Blitzen

Visit site
I think a decent adjustable gp saddle would be your best bet. I have an adjustable thorogood for my 3 year old, he long reins in it at the moment, and it will hopefully last him a while! It will need tweaking every few months, but much cheaper than buying a new saddle and having it fitted every time he changes shape. x

maggiesmum

Visit site
I agree with treeless, I have a big issue with people using cheap not professionally fitted saddle for a horses first experience of weight bearing. I cringe when I see adverts for old knackered saddles with the words perfect for breaking! Surely the idea is to make it pleasant for the horse to prevent future problems? I understand there is some correlation between poorly fitting saddles used in the breaking process and cold backs.

A decent treeless will probably do the job nicely and will hold its value should you wish to revert to a tree'd saddle at a later date. :)

Stacey6897

Visit site
I used an old Wintec for 2 horses, and a treeless that looks/rides like a normal saddle, was ideal for my boy who refused to stop growing

Ladydragon

Visit site
Not sure what your budget is but when our TB arrived in really poor condition, the saddler was able to fit him with a second hand Maxam he had as a temporary saddle knowing he'd change shape quite drastically...

The saddle was £100 and the saddler has been able to tweak it substantially at fittings since...

IF he's happy with the fit it'll come for breaking another one at a later date and if it doesn't I'm not going to be gutted as it's been well used...

flying solo

Visit site
I bought a new wintec and lunged with that on and before I started letting my pony have any weight on his back I got the saddler to check the gullet etc. He's now changed gullet but saddle still fits and it didn't cost me the earth.