Brecon Sale Saturday 22nd July

twofatladies88

Visit site
There was an extremely well bred Dartmoor yearling - I dread to think where it is now - if it’s not gone to the meat man, then it will be on probably it’s third home in it’s short life. Also saw a thoroughbred by Dubai - such a shame. It makes me feel sick.

Madd1

Visit site
I don't understand why people go to these sales if they're not either looking to buy or try and rescue - If people didn't go would these sales still exist ?

Visit site
There are far worse fates than the meat trade. My issue with it is how the animals are treated first. They can't be slaughtered in this country so they have to be shipped out.

Many go to the zoos as well. You might see a lion or tiger chomping down on a loving big leg of meat and most people assume it's a cow. A leg is a leg once you take the hoof and skin off.

Visit site
There are far worse fates than the meat trade. My issue with it is how the animals are treated first. They can't be slaughtered in this country so they have to be shipped out.

Many go to the zoos as well. You might see a lion or tiger chomping down on a loving big leg of meat and most people assume it's a cow. A leg is a leg once you take the hoof and skin off.

Jambarissa

Visit site
Anyone who was there get a feel for who was buying? Was it all dealers buying multiples or did there seem to be private buyers after just 1 or 2?

Seen a post from my friends saying they bought '2 poor little buggers from the kill pen' ♥️♥️ I'll link if they put up pictures.

TheMule

Visit site

The UK's only abattoir that does slaughter horses for human consumption is less than 2 hours from Brecon.
Yearlings will have very little meat value, so I'd be surprised if many ended up there next week, but they might go get raised somewhere and taken later on in their lives. I spend a bit of time there for work and have never seen a yearling go through.

Last edited:

Jambarissa

Visit site

Can they really not be slaughtered for meat here? I remember protesting about live exports to France in the 90s but that was more about keeping the 'meat' fresh by saving on refrigeration costs by travelling them live.

I'm all for a quick and humane end for horses that can't be found proper caring homes, although not breeding them in the first place is preferable.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Can they really not be slaughtered for meat here? I remember protesting about live exports to France in the 90s but that was more about keeping the 'meat' fresh by saving on refrigeration costs by travelling them live.

I'm all for a quick and humane end for horses that can't be found proper caring homes, although not breeding them in the first place is preferable.
There are five abattoirs in England and Wales. They are not shipped overseas for slaughter.

piebaldproblems

Visit site

But people should have the balls to know their animals will go for meat. Their stress should be minimised by sending them directly to the abattoir with their herd mates, rather than separating them and putting them through the stress of the sales.

TheMule

Visit site
But people should have the balls to know their animals will go for meat. Their stress should be minimised by sending them directly to the abattoir with their herd mates, rather than separating them and putting them through the stress of the sales.

Absolutely… they'd get more money for them too. If you're selling a scrappy little yearling colt to the sales, it has very limited fates

meleeka

Visit site
There are five abattoirs in England and Wales. They are not shipped overseas for slaughter.
Some are definitely shipped overseas. They go via Ireland :(. Bin end dealers take lorry loads with the same number of old passports and nobody ever checks against the horses on board. :(

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
This thread has made me so sad. How little value we give to our fellow living creatures 😞
Yes. I have to say I was slightly heartened going there last month as most were making decent money, so apart from the stress of the auction itself it looked like a lot would have a reasonable chance at a decent home (as reasonable a chance as private sales any road). But today looked a lot worse. There also wasn't any cramming into pens or horses looking very distressed last month (though of course there were plenty that looked quite shut down. I extracted one pony from being stuck having stood through its reins (and then detached the reins and hung them over the pen bars), but other than that there wasn't anything particularly awful. That picture up thread is horrendous 😔

Jambarissa

Visit site
Someone posted equine market watch fb up thread. I used to talk to the person who established that best part of 20 years ago, had completely forgotten about them so had a look at their page.

They were saying they needed to borrow a box to take to the sales, doesn't look like they got one. Just thought I'd mention it here in case anyone is near them and willing to lend in future or even goes to the sales and willing to drive their box down (they were offering fuel money). I'm at the other end of the country otherwise I would so thought I'd mention it 👍

Snowfilly

Visit site
My OH would not approve of me asking this lol, but how does one go about getting a horse home if they don't have their own transport?

I’ve often brought at sales with no transport. There’s always a list of people with lorries by the office and if not, you stand in the pens area and shout for anyone going your way.

Got quite a lot home from the Devon sales to Cornwall over the years doing that.

palo1

Visit site
The 'meat men' will buy anything they think will work for them and will sell on ponies that are not suitable for the kill trade. I am always slightly frustrated at the depiction of the 'meat men'; they are horse dealers, just at the bottom end of the chain. They have contacts all over the country and just buy stock in that is cheap - they are happy to sell them to other dealers and often do that, as well as sell for the meat trade. In my view, in a country that 'loves' horses, it should be far easier and more acceptable for horses to be taken to an abbatoir and killed and processed than it currently is. Then those horses would not have to travel so far, or in larger groups, and would have more value on their carcass which would result in better treatment and both a better life and a better end. Our local equine slaughterhouse closed down as a result of AR protests, threats and abuse so horses and ponies now have a much longer journey and a worse time. I understand people not wanting animals killed but you have to try to work with existing systems to an extent I think. Sorry if that is hard to read. People want it all ways - cheap, sound, safe horses at the right age and their pick of colours and types; that encourages over-breeding at the very least, as well as a relatively high turnover of horses that are saleable. It is also partly responsible for the proliferation of very basic livery yards because people don't want to pay the real price of looking after land for horses that landowners actually need to charge; thus making it 'cheaper' for people to buy a pony than to support perhaps a riding school. There is good and bad throughout the system but we all have a part to play in it tbh.

Miss_Millie

Visit site
The 'meat men' will buy anything they think will work for them and will sell on ponies that are not suitable for the kill trade. I am always slightly frustrated at the depiction of the 'meat men'; they are horse dealers, just at the bottom end of the chain. They have contacts all over the country and just buy stock in that is cheap - they are happy to sell them to other dealers and often do that, as well as sell for the meat trade. In my view, in a country that 'loves' horses, it should be far easier and more acceptable for horses to be taken to an abbatoir and killed and processed than it currently is. Then those horses would not have to travel so far, or in larger groups, and would have more value on their carcass which would result in better treatment and both a better life and a better end. Our local equine slaughterhouse closed down as a result of AR protests, threats and abuse so horses and ponies now have a much longer journey and a worse time. I understand people not wanting animals killed but you have to try to work with existing systems to an extent I think. Sorry if that is hard to read. People want it all ways - cheap, sound, safe horses at the right age and their pick of colours and types; that encourages over-breeding at the very least, as well as a relatively high turnover of horses that are saleable. It is also partly responsible for the proliferation of very basic livery yards because people don't want to pay the real price of looking after land for horses that landowners actually need to charge; thus making it 'cheaper' for people to buy a pony than to support perhaps a riding school. There is good and bad throughout the system but we all have a part to play in it tbh.

I think the lack of respect and dignity these animals are shown, being shoved into tiny pens crammed together, clearly scared and stressed, is what people find sad and disturbing. Regardless of who is buying or selling them.

palo1

Visit site
I think the lack of respect and dignity these animals are shown, being shoved into tiny pens crammed together, clearly scared and stressed, is what people find sad and disturbing. Regardless of who is buying or selling them.

Yes, I totally agree. I think at least many of them do have company actually BUT if it were not for the demand for horses and the turnover generally, there would be more value in horses and the whole 'market' would be better for them. The situation in markets is totally indicative of the state of our horse culture - except that it is both on show and includes the bottom end of the trade; that seems uncomfortable and to surprise some people. None of that would exist without the elements of the trade higher up and the 'values' that we hold in relation to animals generally and horses in particular; that includes the ever increasing demand for personal horse ownership, competitive success etc. It is frustrating that people (not referring to you or anyone in particular) seem to think that it is possible to have one without the other. It is interesting to compare the cattle trade and market...

Steerpike

Visit site
I have no problem with horses going to the meat man, it's how they are treated before hand that needs to be high lighted, I saw some terrible handling of horses at Brecon by staff and buyers, I also saw people who had not done what I would class as basic care with their horses before bringing them to the sales.

palo1

Visit site
I have no problem with horses going to the meat man, it's how they are treated before hand that needs to be high lighted, I saw some terrible handling of horses at Brecon by staff and buyers, I also saw people who had not done what I would class as basic care with their horses before bringing them to the sales.

Yes, some of those things are shameful imo. It really shines a light on our horse culture and not in a good way. :( I have often wondered how things could be different but with horses as such valuable status animals, where regular sales, transfer of ownership etc is acceptable it is difficult to imagine.

twofatladies88

Visit site
Just more examples of our throw away society as people move onto the next thing. No sense of responsibility. My little herd was well thought out beforehand and I knew I was going to have years of responsibility - and yes that means missing out on things like holidays and even days out - there is no way I would get rid of them - I am responsible for all their care 365 days a year and that’s what a lot of people won’t do and don’t think about that before they purchase.

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
This has cemented in my mind that PTS my 25 year old with Cushing's same home most of his life who didn't like change when I could no longer afford to keep him was the right thing to do despite the reception I received (not on here)

Yes I could have sold him to a carefully vetted home but what if he was then sold on to something like this

webble

Visit site
This has cemented in my mind that PTS my 25 year old with Cushing's same home most of his life who didn't like change when I could no longer afford to keep him was the right thing to do despite the reception I received (not on here)

Yes I could have sold him to a carefully vetted home but what if he was then sold on to something like this
Definitely the right thing to do