British Rider Suspended

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
To be fair, I didn't realise it's against forum rules - hold hands up to that one.

Is reporting abuse libel?

'defamatory' - likely to damage someones good reputation by saying something bad and untrue about them.

1) the cost of taking someone to court for libel is likely to be prohibitive in most localised cases, especially in reference to a forum comment.
2) is the person in question going to want to bring attention to themselves and highlight that these 'accusations' have been made if it would then open the doors to corroboration from other sources?
3) willingly allowing abuse to continue through fear of a cease and desist letter being received is a depressing picture of horse sport. Katie Price is all over the media for alleged animal abuse, why can we highlight a couple of her animals getting on the road and being hit by cars, but not a pro rider doing it consistently and intentionally over decades?

Birker2020

Visit site

There is an expectation that users online are safeguarded but there is little way of ensuring that in reality, I'm not particuarly on about this forum but speaking in general about forums/websites in general.
People are let down all the time in this regard sadly.

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
If the accused knows that the accusation is true, are they likely to open a publicly reportable court case to try and prove their innocence, knowing that this may encourage others that can corroborate to come forward?

Doubt it.

reynold

Visit site
You do have to be careful what you say/write as it can be illegal/against website rules as above. Consequences can be severe.

An example: I made a planning application for something reasonable and horsey. Local councillor hated horses and made a libellous statement about me and the application to reporter on the local paper which then printed the quote.

I googled to find a libel solicitor, whom I paid a very small fee to, to write to both the paper and the councillor. I also complained to the relevant 'ombudsman' (can't remember what the body was now as it's 20 years ago) about misconduct in public office (as the planning application hadn't yet been decided).

The end result was that the paper had to print an apology; the councillor had to write an apology to me; the councillor was found guilty of misconduct in public office and was effectively unable to continue as a councillor (he had other 'form' for similar offences but no-one had ever bothered to stand up to him before).

You have to have absolute proof/evidence and only complain to the relevant body and not just randomly on social media. You don't have to have Prince Harry's millions to make a difference but you do have to be on firm ground.

Helgstrand had video evidence and there is similar in this case. As with many issues today it is plain that there is always someone with a phone camera around (or CCTV - if it is any good quality). Which links nicely back to the FEI issue which has now been clarified in regard to filming at FEI labelled events.

Personally I hate phone cameras when they are used to film things instead of helping an injured person lying suffering on the ground, but used to provide evidence of a crime (which horse/animal abuse is) it can be very useful.

Firm evidence and take action but be on sure ground.

Perhaps, like supermarkets and so on, stewards should be issued with body worn cameras? That would also help to prevent abuse of stewards (and judges).

Sleighfarer

Visit site
If the accused knows that the accusation is true, are they likely to open a publicly reportable court case to try and prove their innocence, knowing that this may encourage others that can corroborate to come forward?

Doubt it.
They don't need to prove their innocence, they just need to prove that they've been libelled and their reputation damaged by whatever was written in that instance. "Everybody knows" is unlikely to cut it. In any case, most libel cases don't end up in court because retractions are made and apologies are issued.

A complainant could sue the publisher of the HHO forum, but the publisher could then come after the poster for costs. I haven't read the T&Cs for a while, but I think there is wording to that effect. In addition, the rider could sue the poster personally, though probably less likely.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
This in the forum terms:-

Do not post defamatory, or other insulting, pejorative, or inappropriate content, or use language incompatible with a broad demographic.

A couple of posts on another unrelated thread that came into that category were pulled earlier today by admin, who do act if alerted and if they believe that the forum terms to have been contravened.