Burghley 2018

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
I think he rode all three well. He is a very good, very experienced rider. He just pushes very hard.

A very emotional interview!

Well that was a great Xc day, IMO.

caladria

Visit site
So, Tim Price is sitting 3.8 pens ahead of Piggy and Harry, but without that single penalty he would have been 4.2 penalties ahead. And he's on a horse that has only jumped clear on the last day of a three day once in its life (at Burleigh in 2015).

Tomorrow could be interesting... :D

pepsimaxrock

Visit site
Honestly! I know its the purpose of this forum but the armchair criticism is just a bit much at times. These are top riders doing the hardest job and folks on here expect them to be saints with never slipping halos. Give the girl/s a break

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
The best ride from Oli i''ve ever seen.

I disagree. I think he rode best on King Joules, who was his leading horse after dressage and the one he'd probably have most liked round with no XC faults, but he was sensible and changed to long routes a couple of times and cost himself a few places.. With the grey he was still riding it hard at the last few fences, growling at it, when it probably would have made it anyway. The really perfect rounds, for me, were not pushing for the finish, they were perfectly timed for the horse not to have to be pushed at the end, like Harry Meade and Andrew Nicolson. Not for a minute saying Oli's was a bad round though.

only_me

Visit site
Honestly! I know its the purpose of this forum but the armchair criticism is just a bit much at times. These are top riders doing the hardest job and folks on here expect them to be saints with never slipping halos. Give the girl/s a break

What criticism on this thread have you deemed a bit too much?

oldie48

Visit site
Agreed, I just hope she gets home safe. I do think she needs to rethink the sort of horses she takes on - she always seems to end up with the very strong giants.

Louise doesn't "take on" horses, most of them are home bred and she is 5'1" so pretty much all four star eventers will look huge when she's riding them. She's as brave as a lion and for a rider who makes all her own horses and has consistently had horses go round Burghley and Badminton and other four star tracks, I have massive respect for her. I watched her have a flatwork lesson on the grey, who can be really tricky. I doubt many people on here could have ridden one side of him even if they had been a foot taller. her horses really try for her and tbh they are not the kind that the big names would take on and she doesn't have the money or sponsors to be picky but she makes the very best of what she has.

Visit site
Oli Townend pulled the majority of his horses out of Blair last week after doing all 3 phases. He should have been 1,2, 4 and 6 with the ones he pulled out and went on to win with the one that was sitting in 9tg before the show jumping. I don't see the point in that. He has done every phase, asked for maximum effort etc to pull out. I know the horse doesn't know any different but still.

be positive

Visit site
Oli Townend pulled the majority of his horses out of Blair last week after doing all 3 phases. He should have been 1,2, 4 and 6 with the ones he pulled out and went on to win with the one that was sitting in 9tg before the show jumping. I don't see the point in that. He has done every phase, asked for maximum effort etc to pull out. I know the horse doesn't know any different but still.

He withdrew before taking them xc, he probably wanted to give them an outing before Burghley and I expect never planned to run them xc whatever position they were in after sj, disappointing for spectators hoping to see them go xc but hardly unusual just before a 4* .

HashRouge

Visit site
I thought he pulled out before the XC phase? That was the last phase in the Blair Castle CIC3* I think.

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
He withdrew before taking them xc, he probably wanted to give them an outing before Burghley and I expect never planned to run them xc whatever position they were in after sj, disappointing for spectators hoping to see them go xc but hardly unusual just before a 4* .

He had agreed that in advance with Blair organisers. He was always bringing 5 to give them a dressage & show jump outing to help him decide which to run at Burghley.

Is there any news on how FRH Butts Avedon and Coopers Law are after their falls?

LHIS

Visit site
Did anyone see Emily Pragnell’s round and what got her eliminated? I had to nip outside and by the time I got back in the two either side of her (Ben and Oli) were still on the course but she wasn’t.

caladria

Visit site
He had agreed that in advance with Blair organisers. He was always bringing 5 to give them a dressage & show jump outing to help him decide which to run at Burghley.

Is there any news on how FRH Butts Avedon and Coopers Law are after their falls?

There's a quote from Andreas Dibowski on vielkeitigskeit-deutschland and as far as my terrible German can tell, he and Avedon are bruised but otherwise fine. ("Zum Glück haben wir uns außer ein paar blauen Flecken nichts getan. Avedon konnte an Sprung 7 eingefangen werden")

sasquatch

Visit site

did Cooper's Law fall? It looks as if he was retired according to the xc results on the Burghley website.

there was another horse who had a nasty fall, but haven't seen anything so far thankfully

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
Thanks both. Coopers Law's finish wasn't on the coverage and there was a brief hold on course. Coverage just said they'd had a fall.

I'm relieved for Andreas' horse, he looked to hit that fence hard and then headed for home at speed.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
No, but a bit of a change round with Oli Townend and Andrew Nicholson withdrawing horses, and I'm gutted that Julie Tew withdrew too, I'd love to have seen her complete.

sasquatch

Visit site
anyone know what's happening with the showjumping coverage?

meant to be on the FB page starting at 10.30, but nothing has been put on it

just seen on twitter its 11.15 jumping is actually starting

DirectorFury

Visit site
Louise doesn't "take on" horses, most of them are home bred and she is 5'1" so pretty much all four star eventers will look huge when she's riding them. She's as brave as a lion and for a rider who makes all her own horses and has consistently had horses go round Burghley and Badminton and other four star tracks, I have massive respect for her. I watched her have a flatwork lesson on the grey, who can be really tricky. I doubt many people on here could have ridden one side of him even if they had been a foot taller. her horses really try for her and tbh they are not the kind that the big names would take on and she doesn't have the money or sponsors to be picky but she makes the very best of what she has.

Yes, with hindsight my comment was out of order and I apologise.
I was basing it on the fact I've only seen her and Mr Potts twice, and each of those times they were eliminated or retired on the XC. I guess it's just been bad luck because, of 36 starts, they've gone onto SJ 33 times. The FEI stats also show that she's never jumped clear XC with him, but on further investigation this is incorrect - if you know her it may be worth bringing this to her attention.
Again, I'm sorry, it was out of order and I should have looked further at things before making comment.