Burghley 2018

sasquatch

Visit site
anyone know what is happening with the final 20 jumping?

do we have to watch on delay as I can't find it on the BBC sport live thing anymore

sasquatch

Visit site
It's on BBC2 at 3pm

that's not the top 20 though, that's XC highlights and probably the last 5 showjumping and a delay in the live reporting showing it - results will be available before the winning round is broadcast.

on the radio Ciaran Glynn is now in.

XC coverage was so good, as was morning coverage. This is a shame :(

sasquatch

Visit site
It's crazy not having live coverage. And so difficult to find it when it IS on.

especially after it has been live or live streamed the rest of the time!
Badminton managed it, I think even Hickstead managed it.

I can't imagine they'd be showing rugby or football with a 20 minute delay that means the winner will have already been announced before they've even scored the winning points on the coverage (or in our case, the winning round)

BBC Sport has got so disappointing, all they really show now is football and a few others. They managed to lose the Pro14 rugby coverage and half the 6N so you'd think they have the availability to show the equestrian sports on a live stream/red button as they've not got much else to show really.

sasquatch

Visit site
As they are showing the BBC coverage on a 20 minute delay, and it finishes at 5 on the BBC, the last showjumping round is at 3.28 with Tim Price and Ringwood Skyboy

Either that means they'll be showing the top 5 (Andrew Nicholson is due on at 3.17) on a 20 minute delay, and finishing on Tim Price, which looks likely given that the BBC2 coverage is currently showing the xc course walk.

Very disappointing. I can understand not showing the top 25 but the top 10 this year is actually fairly tight with just over 2 fences in hand (I think).

sasquatch

Visit site
Radio has just had Andrew Nicholson go in, and finish on a clear to come into 5th place.

BBC showing OT's first ride.

Harry Meade in now - looks like we won't even be getting the SJ close to real time

DirectorFury

Visit site
There was a way you could have watched it live on the Facebook page - by the time I thought about posting here it had started already!
As a note for next year:
1. Download & sign up for a free trial of ProtonVPN (https://protonvpn.com/)
1b. Open ProtonVPN, sign in, and select the American flag. Press 'connect'.
2. Put your browser in incognito mode
3. Go to https://www.facebook.com/BurghleyHorseInternational/
4. Enjoy!

I'll stream it on Twitch next year and put the link up here.

Edit: You'll be able to see all the rounds from today using this method. I can do a full tutorial with screenshots and red circles if there's interest?

Last edited:

sasquatch

Visit site
There was a way you could have watched it live on the Facebook page - by the time I thought about posting here it had started already!
As a note for next year:
1. Download & sign up for a free trial of ProtonVPN (https://protonvpn.com/)
1b. Open ProtonVPN, sign in, and select the American flag. Press 'connect'.
2. Put your browser in incognito mode
3. Go to https://www.facebook.com/BurghleyHorseInternational/
4. Enjoy!

I'll stream it on Twitch next year and put the link up here.

Edit: You'll be able to see all the rounds from today using this method. I can do a full tutorial with screenshots and red circles if there's interest?

I couldn't get vpn's to work on my mac, I did try it.

I might be living in Dublin next year over summer so it may not be an issue!

redapple

Visit site
preferably without spoilers could someone say if bbc have already shown show jumping? Just turned it on but not sure if i've already missed it! So annoying theres not the full last session somewhere!

sasquatch

Visit site
preferably without spoilers could someone say if bbc have already shown show jumping? Just turned it on but not sure if i've already missed it! So annoying theres not the full last session somewhere!

nope, not shown SJ yet.

I think the Burghley FB page will have the full top 25 uploaded once BBC have finished their coverage.

fetlock

Visit site
Disgraceful that the BBC isn't showing the jumping live.
It was so infuriating sitting watching the highlights from 3pm knowing the showjumping was almost concluded and they could have shown it!

bongo-girl

Visit site
Watching the BBC coverage (even though I know who has won - but *NO SPOILERS*!) and despite being a fan of the sport and understanding its up and downs, I do wonder if the standard 'montage of falls' isn't a bit dated now? Yes, we know they happen, and in days gone by there might have been more of a call for 'oh lets have a laugh at someone going splat' but I, personally don't see what it adds to the coverage? I have family who are motor sports fans and the crashes are something they always want to see during tv coverage, but I think its the fact that it isn't just a man and a machine getting it wrong that make me wince a little harder when you see the horses going down. Anyone's thoughts?

Nicnac

Visit site
Was very lucky to see it live from a spectator who streamed it over Facebook. Crazy isn't it that having watched the last 5 SJ live over Facebook, I am now back to watching yesterday's XC!

Just an addition to the Louise Harwood info, she had a very serious car accident after which she was told she may never walked again due to smashing her knees and ankles. Her legs aren't muscled 'normally' so she really is amazingly determined to be able to ride at all let alone at the level she does.

lar

Visit site
Got to think Oil 's comments after xc were a very pointed dig at the selectors - saying there won't be any more testing conditions in the world this year. Rightly so. Can't see many other countries that would leave the world number 1 at home.

caladria

Visit site
Watching the BBC coverage (even though I know who has won - but *NO SPOILERS*!) and despite being a fan of the sport and understanding its up and downs, I do wonder if the standard 'montage of falls' isn't a bit dated now? Yes, we know they happen, and in days gone by there might have been more of a call for 'oh lets have a laugh at someone going splat' but I, personally don't see what it adds to the coverage? I have family who are motor sports fans and the crashes are something they always want to see during tv coverage, but I think its the fact that it isn't just a man and a machine getting it wrong that make me wince a little harder when you see the horses going down. Anyone's thoughts?

I can understand why they choose to do it - same reason as the motorsports montages include all the crashes there. Both sports look (don't shoot me) boring and easy when they go well. So shots of things not going well are "exciting" and hammer in the stakes. And I can understand why some motorsports fans like to see them - the consequences are rarely anything to worry about so people assume it will be okay, so it's fine to find the crashes awesome.

As a fan of both, personally I would say "it's fine as long as everyone - horse included - is fine". But of course you don't always know that until months later, so... I don't know?

Frankly as a fan of watching both, I don't feel any differently watching a bad accident in either - I just want everyone to be okay!

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Lovely result. I'm glad to see Tim Price win, pleased Oli got a good finish and pleased Reve de Rouet held it together too. I've really enjoyed Burghley, but it always makes me sad when it ends - Autumn rushes up..

I will be so glad when people stop wittering on about Oli Townend. He's ridden very well, had a great result. He's the world number one largely because he rides more horses than anyone else. Other fantastic riders got left off the team and nobody is kicking off (anyone notice how well Harry Meade went?). The people on the team weren't there to compete against him. Nor were team riders from a lot of other nations.. He's a superb rider, but so are lots of other people.

At the end of the day, he rode pretty disgracefully at Badminton, doing something that he'd had several official warnings about previously - none of which had done anything to affect his behaviour. If this lack of selection is unofficially due to what happened and it has bothered him and made him ride a little more thoughtfully towards his horses, then it's a good thing in my book, and if this is ironed out now he could well be at the Olympics. If he spits his dummy out and rejects the teams (like mr Nicolson) then we've other good riders that will happily do it and we will manage (just like New Zealand managed). But for now the decision is made and people need to be a little more supportive and respectful to those that are representing us...

Last edited:

caladria

Visit site
In fairness, I think Away Cruising surprised Harry from what he was saying, so selection was probably never in his mind in the first place!

Fab result for him, though, and hopefully they can build on that to bigger successes. I was sort of hoping - once Toddy was eliminated - that Harry would be able to sneak it, but Tim was probably my second-favourite choice. Ringwood Sky Boy must have had a chat with Classic Moet about how to hold it together SJ when it counts!

Dopeydapple

Visit site
Lovely result. I'm glad to see Tim Price win, pleased Oli got a good finish and pleased Reve de Rouet held it together too. I've really enjoyed Burghley, but it always makes me sad when it ends - Autumn rushes up..

I will be so glad when people stop wittering on about Oli Townend. He's ridden very well, had a great result. He's the world number one largely because he rides more horses than anyone else. Other fantastic riders got left off the team and nobody is kicking off (anyone notice how well Harry Meade went?). The people on the team weren't there to compete against him. Nor were team riders from a lot of other nations.. He's a superb rider, but so are lots of other people.

At the end of the day, he rode pretty disgracefully at Badminton, doing something that he'd had several official warnings about previously - none of which had done anything to affect his behaviour. If this lack of selection is unofficially due to what happened and it has bothered him and made him ride a little more thoughtfully towards his horses, then it's a good thing in my book, and if this is ironed out now he could well be at the Olympics. If he spits his dummy out and rejects the teams (like mr Nicolson) then we've other good riders that will happily do it and we will manage (just like New Zealand managed). But for now the decision is made and people need to be a little more supportive and respectful to those that are representing us...
Well said!

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
I can see why they include the fall montage provided everyone is ok as it shows how difficult the sport is and how badly it can go wrong, they were very quick to say while each clip was being shown that everything was ok afterwards so I don't really see a problem with it as it adds a bit of balance

I'd love if they could put hat cams on all the riders and include some footage from that just wached one on a face book page of one of the Irish riders I think it was and always enjoy if I'm watching the racing and some of the jockeys have them on there was quite an effective one from the grand mafia few years back and it showed the footage as he fell and you almost felt like you were going with him as the ground raced up. They do it in the f1 where it pans to some shots on board with the drivers and if they are involved in altercations overtakes or crashes and it adds another angle and also is effective for causing quite dramatic footage. Watching the rider on the head can footage it was fun riding on board so to speak round something I'd never get to do. Someone on the ex racehorses fb page added videos once of their team chasing again no way would I do it but you could enjoy experiencing it from a much safer position!!!

What ended up happening to Mark Todd they suddenly stopped showing him then announced he'd come off was he ok? They didn't show him come off which makes me wonder if it was quite nasty?

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
I also enjoyed watching Oli much more yesterday I know it may have just been a one off as all the cameras were on him but it was lovely to see him patting his horses and coaxing them don't think I'd have wanted to be on that king joules one it looked like it was carting even him round at some point. I'm surprised when interviewed no one asked him about the lack of selection unless he'd said he wasn't willing to discuss it? Just often see interviews with football managers and it would have definitely been brought up. He probably answered any critics in the best possible way yesterday by riding nicely but effectively getting round clear 3 times. Still not a massive fan of him but yesterday was definitely a nicer picture.

Didn't know that about Louise H not criticising her at all as there's no way I'd get over the first of those jumps let alone get all the way round but she would probably do really well on a smaller horse less to hold together especially as her legs aren't as effective as before her accident. I'm short and have enjoyed riding big horses but wouldn't want to take one round a big track like that too much to hold together.

DirectorFury

Visit site
What ended up happening to Mark Todd they suddenly stopped showing him then announced he'd come off was he ok? They didn't show him come off which makes me wonder if it was quite nasty?

I /think/ the fence he fell at wasn't covered by cameras - not 100% sure on that though! He jumped fine today on his other horse so I'm guessing he's OK, maybe a bit stiff :).

Re: the Oli situation - I do think that there needs to be more joined up reporting and warning for things like this. So if someone has 2 warnings in a season for the same thing it gets upgraded to a yellow card which comes with sanctions. Another incident it's a red (?amber?) and more sanctions.
It might work like this already and I've missed something but, as far as I can tell, rider warnings don't get linked together across the season unless they're a major safety (rotational falls, out of control riding) issue.

A great win for Tim Price, it shows how well he and Jonelle run their yard and training that they've both won at 4* this year :).
Out of interest why doesn't AN compete for NZ?

Rowreach

👀
Visit site

Judging by the constant supportive remarks from the commentary team and other riders over the past few days, I'd say that they think OT should have been selected as well. Ian Stark referred to the official basis of the decision at least twice - the selectors claim that they picked those horses and riders that could cope best with hot weather. Sounded like a real cop out to me, and IS said today that yesterday proved that all three of OT's Burghley horses proved they could perform. And MP has said that no other nation in the world would leave the world No.1 off the team.

And you can't surely say that the reason he's No.1 is because he rides a lot of horses? :) How many fantastic riders are there out there who have lulls in their careers because they are not finding and producing a string of horses to 4*? You have to get the right horse, keep it sound, produce it to the level and then keep it there. OT (and some others) have a particular ability to do that, time and again. It's no mean feat.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
I thought Ian Stark was a bit of a hypocrite re Oli actually, considering he was criticising him publicly at Badminton.

I'm not at all saying Oli isn't an absolute top class, consistent rider, but the amount of horses he rides does add up his points. It's a fact. Just like I'd win my local riding club championship if I entered and won more classes than everyone else. He's known for riding lots, he's pretty amazing how he does it, must be so fit. People who could match him on talent (Micheal Jung, Mark Todd, Andrew Nicholson etc) just don't run as many horses nowadays. Oli is an industry, he's had to fight for it more than others, didn't have the priveledges and had to fund himself much more. He's a little bit different.

caladria

Visit site
Judging by the constant supportive remarks from the commentary team and other riders over the past few days, I'd say that they think OT should have been selected as well. Ian Stark referred to the official basis of the decision at least twice - the selectors claim that they picked those horses and riders that could cope best with hot weather. Sounded like a real cop out to me, and IS said today that yesterday proved that all three of OT's Burghley horses proved they could perform. And MP has said that no other nation in the world would leave the world No.1 off the team.

And you can't surely say that the reason he's No.1 is because he rides a lot of horses? :) How many fantastic riders are there out there who have lulls in their careers because they are not finding and producing a string of horses to 4*? You have to get the right horse, keep it sound, produce it to the level and then keep it there. OT (and some others) have a particular ability to do that, time and again. It's no mean feat.

There is a little grain of truth in the "lots of horses make it easier to climb world rankings" thing - they're based on the top 6 results over the last twelve months with three days scoring significantly more than 1 days. So if you only have one exceptional horse that, say, wins Badminton and Burghley, then you'll probably rank lower than the rider that has slightly worse placings with more horses at Pau/Luhmuelen/Boekelo etc... because Badminton and Burghley are only two counting scores, and the other four will let you down and push you down.

(Jonelle Price effectively had "no horses" for most of the 2017 season so plummeted from #7 to #217, and would have been ranked ridiculously low when she won Badminton, so it's definitely not a straight correlation for ability!)

But err... Oliver isn't making up the numbers with lower top tens and artificially inflating that ranking. He's got two 4* wins in there as well as multiple top 5s. He has ended up ridiculously high on BE rankings just by running a hundred horses at lower levels, I think? But it's difficult to say he's not had quality horses over the last 12 months!