Burghley fallers

mon

Visit site
All of us that have been with a much loved animal whilst they died will know how much it hurts, and his tributes brought tears to my eyes.

Twiglet

Visit site
Re: Clayton it seemed to me that his first reaction was to walk round and look at the horse, even if he didn't go over to him - he must have been in a lot of pain himself after that fall. The stewards are probably best placed in that position to go to the horse, while the rider gets his/her breath back. As the horse was walked off, he was beside him patting him....

BBP

Visit site
I was one of the first to get to heartbreak hill to try to pull him up and get all his gear off. I ended up helping Inside the screens as the horse was put to sleep. I will never forget it. He loved that horse and kept telling him how sorry he was. They were both so brave waiting for the vet to do his job. I haven't been able to think of anything else since, makes me tear up constantly.

Scarlett

Visit site
I was one of the first to get to heartbreak hill to try to pull him up and get all his gear off. I ended up helping Inside the screens as the horse was put to sleep. I will never forget it. He loved that horse and kept telling him how sorry he was. They were both so brave waiting for the vet to do his job. I haven't been able to think of anything else since, makes me tear up constantly.

How awful for everyone involved, I can't even think of it without feeling tearful.

merrymeasure

www.winningpost-art.co.uk
KatPT, that must be awful to have that in your mind. Just reading your post makes me teary. Poor Paul, he must be devastated. What an awful day for him. Lots of us know what it's like to lose a horse, but to lose one so publicly must be dreadful. I really feel for him.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
I was crossing steward just before cottesmore leap. I don't think I have ever seen it ride so badly. Horses were coming up the bill at a canter being pushed and hassled along, with no engine at all when asked to take on such a big fence. A few were pretty lucky there!

My heart goes out to Paul Hart. I helped grab the horse and untack it, and was with him when he was put to sleep. It was heartbreaking.

I think that the turn to it was generally too sharp - nothing could get into the strong forward stride that you need for that fence. We watched about fifteen there while we had a picnic, and probably only two of them went over without me winceing. We were there when the grey fell, but it did look like it was walking better after a minute or two, so we were hoping it was fine. Nice to read it was.

I have to say I have never known the Cottesmore leap jump so badly! I have seen it Jumped in the course for many, many years/times and have seen maybe one faulter at it. I wonder whether horses were extra tired or the standard of horse was less?

Thats so sad.

We watched him warm up, and I have to say we weren't looking forward to them coming round - it didn't look "together" in the warm up ring even.

Interesting to hear that the ground was considered soft. We walked round a lot of the course yesterday and there was hardly a mark on it.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
We watched him warm up, and I have to say we weren't looking forward to them coming round - it didn't look "together" in the warm up ring even.

On reflection, I take that back and apologise - I think I was thinking of someone else, who also fell off but walked back past us.:eek::eek::eek:

britishsoldier

New User
Visit site

Thank you so much for your help. I'm sure Paul really appreciated it even though he is pretty devastated right now. Harry was his horse in a lifetime. Even though he could be quite hot (and he HATED dressage!), he was an amazing horse to ride. You got the feeling he had unlimited power and was so eager to get on with the job.

I still can't quite believe he is gone.:(

oldvic

Visit site
Interesting to hear that the ground was considered soft. We walked round a lot of the course yesterday and there was hardly a mark on it.

it wasn't that they were going in so far but it was more that when they went to push off each stride the ground gave rather than helping them spring forward, a little the same as running on soft sand. When you do that for 11 1/2 minutes, that's hard work and you don't need to sink very far for it to be so.

With regard to the Cottesmore Leap, the turn should have helped them keep the hind legs engaged to jump off - not so easy on a long straight approach where the horse can get flat and on their forehand. The problem was that some horses were at a point where they were hitting a flat spot so lacked the energy and adjustability especially if they weren't on a great spot or were getting a bit demoralised at the effort they were having to make. They will normally tend to hit a flat spot at around 8 minutes so are past that fence but this year it seemed to come early for some.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Thanks for that, very interesting.

One part that did look deep when we walked some of it yesterday was the few strides before the white rails at the bottom of the hill.

Burghleyandcamping2012064.jpg

HihoGinger

Visit site
Thank you so much for these beautiful photos, merrymeasure. Can I please send them on to Paul? I know he will treasure them.

I posted the photos. You'd be very welcome to have them and pass them on. If you want to pm me an email address, I will send you the full res versions :)
Please pass on my condolences. He was having a great run as he passed us. So, so sad :(

zsuzsanna04

New User
Visit site

KatPT - God bless you and all the other officials for taking care of Paul and Harry with such kindness and sensitivity.