Buyer not collecting horse?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
That's great, but be very careful not to proceed with anything until that money is back with the original buyer. Not even a viewing. I'm sure you will be (especially after this), but this horse currently doesn't belong to you! He sounds amazing and I'd certainly be tempted if I was looking! :D

Please do take legal advice about how to proceed, OP, although ,as you gave the buyer every opportunity to collect the horse and she hasn't paid you to keep him over the last week, I would expect you to be fine to readvertise and sell on.

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
I am not very up on the direct banking issues, but it has occured to me that using a credit card (and possibly a bank card, I simply don't know), can the buyer do some sort of charge back, where you might refund her and she already has a charge back in the system? That way getting double her money back?

Probably a stupid thought but did just wonder could it all be some sort of scam if that is possible? Either way it does all seem very odd from start to finish doesn't it?

jay2bee

Visit site
I'm probably being a bit irresponsible not seeking legal advice, but I just don't think it'll come to anything. She hasn't even replied to my second text saying that since she hasn't sent her bank details I'll be going to the bank to authorise a reversal. It's so bloody odd though. It's not like it's just a few hundred quid. I'd be in bits thinking I was out of pocket thousands, Nowt stranger than folk.

jay2bee

Visit site
I am not very up on the direct banking issues, but it has occured to me that using a credit card (and possibly a bank card, I simply don't know), can the buyer do some sort of charge back, where you might refund her and she already has a charge back in the system? That way getting double her money back?

Probably a stupid thought but did just wonder could it all be some sort of scam if that is possible? Either way it does all seem very odd from start to finish doesn't it?

I'm just gonna explain the situation to the bank and then let them sort it tbh, I don't really know if this is a scam or not.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I'm probably being a bit irresponsible not seeking legal advice, but I just don't think it'll come to anything. She hasn't even replied to my second text saying that since she hasn't sent her bank details I'll be going to the bank to authorise a reversal. It's so bloody odd though. It's not like it's just a few hundred quid. I'd be in bits thinking I was out of pocket thousands, Nowt stranger than folk.

Have you spoken to the bank?

nutjob

Visit site
I'm just gonna explain the situation to the bank and then let them sort it tbh, I don't really know if this is a scam or not.
I recommend you speak to your banks fraud dept before returning the money not just a cashier in the branch. It's a hassle explaining all the ins and outs of the situation but they are very clued up about various scams and will contact the other parties bank who will look at their banking activity to see if there is anything out of the ordinary. Mrs Jingle is correct, they can start a charge back even if it is a bank transfer not a card payment and may end up getting the money twice if you also do a transfer back. Several of the things the buyer has done are unusual and not how a normal horse purchaser would behave. I agree there is normally no need to get the buyers details if they have paid for the horse but this one has gone downright weird now!!

Birker2020

Visit site
I agree. Even though the lady selling Lari was legit I didn't really know her from Adam. When I bought Lari I transferred £500 deposit on the Saturday which was to hold him subject to him passing the vet. On the Wednesday I sent £5K and the Thursday the balance and felt really apprehensive about doing so before he was loaded into the lorry, but I was so worried about turning up and the money 'being stuck' in the cloud! But I was also worried about turning up and not finding anyone home too lol.

There is no way I'd pay an amount of money and not be in direct contact with the seller. It's very fishy if you ask me.

Last edited:
Reactions: PSD

Old school

Visit site
It is great that you have this very genuine thread. It may stand in your favour should this go legal. I would be very cautious about it being a scam. These folks know the exact tone to take and the buttons to hit in order to suck you in. It is frightening the lengths they will go to. But like the folks who hack major IT systems, it pays very well. Please be cautious and think only about how you protect yourself.

jay2bee

Visit site
Called off my partner's phone, last chance saloon to try and avoid going to the bank. She picked up. Said please can you send me your bank details and I'll refund you straight away and we can both just move on. She gave them to me, I've verified the identity on the Barclays app and refunded her. Done and dusted. All that effing hassle for what! Goes to show, never judge a book by the cover. I could have screamed when she just said "oh right yeah let me get the details" ?! Why not just do that a week ago!

meleeka

Visit site
Called off my partner's phone, last chance saloon to try and avoid going to the bank. She picked up. Said please can you send me your bank details and I'll refund you straight away and we can both just move on. She gave them to me, I've verified the identity on the Barclays app and refunded her. Done and dusted. All that effing hassle for what! Goes to show, never judge a book by the cover. I could have screamed when she just said "oh right yeah let me get the details" ?! Why not just do that a week ago!

I think she’s got to be the ultimate time waster! Presumably she didn’t sound very ill on the phone?

Glad it’s all sorted anyway.

Asha

Visit site
Good grief.. heres me thinking poor woman has covid she just feels rough.. of course she wants the horse if shes paid for him .. it will come good in the end. Well arent i a naive nancy

Well done for keeping your cool OP.

In my old grandfathers words' theres nowt as funny as folk'

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site

Extraordinary! Why buy him in the first place? What a time waster!

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site

Yes I think that just about qualifies as a time waster ?

Not funny for you, sorry, but I'm glad it's sorted.

Surbie

Visit site
Glad you have it sorted and congrats on managing it so well. I don't think I would have.

Hope the next viewing goes well, it sounds a better prospect.

Quigleyandme

Visit site
I wonder if she simply got carried away and subsequently regretted buying the horse - high costs, hard work, tied down, etc. Maybe someone close to her had a go or pointed out all the negative aspects of horse ownership. Maybe she is manic. Whatever, it is a very unsatisfactory way to behave and I think OP has been really decent about it and the buyer is bloody lucky.

Lipglosspukka

Visit site
It sounds like a possible money laundering scam I suppose. They send you the funds from one account and you send it to another account. Making it harder to diagnose where funds came from and for them to appear clean.....BUT quite frankly it would have been a massive gamble. If I (and indeed many others I'm sure) were in your shoes then I would have deducted livery fees, selling fees etc. I'm sure some people would probably point blank refuse to refund at all and have claimed the horse as abandoned.

It would be much easier and less risky to launder it through a business.

I don't think you have been scammed or conned into being a money mule. I think there is nowt queer as folk and you just happened to get caught in a strange situation.

As for charge backs. You can't charge back a bank transfer. Charge backs are for card transactions.

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
[QUOTE="Lipglosspukka, post: 14751800, member:

As for charge backs. You can't charge back a bank transfer. Charge backs are for card transactions.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for clarifying on the charge back point I mooted as perhaps a possibility Lipglosspukka, I really had no idea either way ?

Lipglosspukka

Visit site
You CAN charge back a bank transfer. Sadly I have recently been a victim of a scam and know a lot more about it now.

You don't know what a chargeback is. A chargeback is when a customer alerts their bank to an issue with a transaction done on their card, be that goods not received, goods not as described, transaction did not complete at point of purchase etc. The bank then does a chargeback on that CARD transaction. The money is pulled from the merchant and remains so unless they second present and provide evidence as to why the transaction should stand against the account.

Charge backs have nothing to do with bank transfers. A charge back is solely for card transactions.

Status
Not open for further replies.