Buying unseen

Upthecreek

Visit site
I have never bought a horse unseen and I never would. To me it doesn’t matter how much information you get from the seller or how many videos you watch of the horse being ridden, there is no substitute for viewing and riding the horse yourself. If you don’t get on board you can’t possibly know what feel the horse will give you. I could probably sit on 10 horses and 1 or 2 of those might give me the feel I like. Do people take the risk because they are fully prepared to just sell on if it doesn’t work out?

I realise in the current market horses are selling fast, but I’m interested to hear experiences (good and bad) from those that have bought unseen. I am specifically talking about situations where you are buying as a long-term horse for yourself, not as a project to sell on. Also interested in opinions on buying unseen and whether it’s something you would consider doing.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Yes, but my last 2 have been bought mainly on their breeding/ bloodlines and yes,if not suited I'd have sold on.
B fuzzy came down in mid 2018 having just been backed 3 weeks prior, she's my last fuzzy.... I think, as is now 11.

I wouldn't buy untried without having a firm plan for the future. I was very fortunate as B is absolutely my type, the rest I knew from breeding etc.

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
I’ve technically had two unseen, although one of them was initially on permanent loan and was recommended by my trainer at the time so I was relatively confident we’d be a good match and if not I could have handed him back. The one I bought unseen was my youngster, but I bought him as a foal so the risks were the same whether I viewed him or not. I would absolutely do it again for the right horse, but then we keep the horses at home so I don’t have to factor livery into the equation if it doesn’t work out.

fidleyspromise

Visit site
A friend bought one unseen. He was a risk but we saw videos and pictures. He had a kind eye and he wasn't expensive so she was prepared to sell/PTS if required.
He was hours away and the time for both of us to be off etc to go see him we decided it was worth a risk.

It paid off. He is as they said. Friend loves him and he truly is a fantastic horse. Perfect riding club all rounder, easy to control in open spaces. He took some work in finding his balance as he stumbled but muscling up and hacking on lots of varied terrain has helped.

Peglo

Visit site
I bought unseen. I don’t know what it was but I fell in love with her picture and couldn’t get her out of my head. I don’t have big eventing plans for her though so the risk wasn’t as big.
she has been everything I hoped for and more. I’m not sure I would do it again. Maybe would.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I've seen most of mine but only in a "drove to collect them on the day " way. None were tried. One turned up completely unseen.
For me it's not that I'd sell on if we didn't match, and more that I can't afford to pick and choose so I learn to adapt to whatever I end up with.

It gave me confidence with my homebred that I will love whatever she grows into because I'm well practiced at doing that with adult horses.

I wouldn't spend a fortune on an unseen horse, it works for me cos I only have a lemonade budget.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I pay up to £2000 for a horse bought unseen. I buy knowing that I will either sell on or PTS, depending on the horse, if I decide I don't want to keep the horse. So far, I've not had my bluff called on the PTS but that may be pure luck.

Winters100

Visit site
I have, but the horse was seen by my trainer and vet. Also we had others at the time so I had plenty to ride and was prepared to sell on if he didn't work out. In the end it was not a disaster, turned out to be a very good horse, but too good for me and too sharp. I sold him for very good money, but not sure that I would do it again as 10 years later I now break more easily if I fall.

rabatsa

Confuddled
Visit site
When younger I bought one only by looking over the stable door. He was cheap and had been suggested by someone I trusted.

His story was that he had been bought as a fit hunter the previous year. Kept stabled and on the same rations during the summer once hunting had finished. The owner put a saddle on him to go hunting come autumn and got decked. Sold as unrideable.

Two weeks in a field and a bit of work he turned out to be a wonderful horse.

teddy_

Visit site
I bought blind direct from a trainer in August, a three year old gelding from Newmarket. He is fabulous.

I asked for high resolution conformation shots and did some digging on his short-lived racing career and was confident he was a good egg. I.e. making sure he had no unexplained gaps (wasn't really applicable as he was only broke this year).

However, buying from a trainer is probably 'safer' than from a private seller or dealer as they are not as invested in the sale ergo, don't really have a reason to tell porky pies. This trainer was very honest with me and everything stacks up.

I suppose ultimately, it really depends on what type of horse you're buying. Horses are often bought blind at the highest levels of the sport as they are proven however, maybe not so much on the mid-market.

Guess it boils down to how much you're prepared to lose and what contractual arrangements are in place :).

ImmyS

Visit site
Strangely the few horses I have bought that I viewed, and viewed more than once were very different once I got them home and were quite tricky to work with - but all became the horse I wanted after time and patience.

The one, most recent horse, I bought unseen back in March was the only one I found to be exactly as described once with me and has been as easy as the seller suggested they would be.

Yes viewing a horse mitigates some risk however, it really is a bit of luck whether you end up with the horse you’re hoping for whether you buy seen or unseen.

millikins

Visit site
We bought our Dales mare unseen, there's so few around especially in the South East. But she's a desirable breed, with a pedigree and a mare so however she turned out would have a resale value. She was an absolute b1tch for about 3 months then settled, I think she'd been allowed to get away with throwing her considerable weight around which is why she was sold, also excessively hormonal so probably quite sore. She's fine now but not one you can take liberties with.

teddy_

Visit site
We bought our Dales mare unseen, there's so few around especially in the South East. But she's a desirable breed, with a pedigree and a mare so however she turned out would have a resale value. She was an absolute b1tch for about 3 months then settled, I think she'd been allowed to get away with throwing her considerable weight around which is why she was sold, also excessively hormonal so probably quite sore. She's fine now but not one you can take liberties with.
This is something to consider.

Although my chap is super, he was cut late (June of his third year) so, although I was advised he was 'nippy' I wasn't aware that this was more full on stallion behaviour and more bitey than nippy :p. This is not a problem for me personally, however, definitely something to consider. Regardless of whether the horse is sound and healthy, this doesn't mean their behaviours will be what you're expecting or used to. Hence, I would not advise buying unseen unless you are confident you have the knowledge or resource around you to iron out any quirks that might pop up.

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
I bought my current one unseen. I was casually scrolling through ads and for some reason he stood out to me. No idea why, he's not an eyecatcher ? he had just been backed. Most horses I buy are quite green and/or young, so my expectations aren't high anyway. Mostly a bonus if they've been sat on and accept a rider.

I had the support of a trainer when I bought my horse and was also comfortable with reselling if it didn't work out. He had a clean vetting done by a vet of my choosing in that country.

When he got here, he wasn't exactly as described, but mostly due to not being put in a certain situation before. 5 says of transport (with resting), a new stable, and a new person, and he was a bit overwhelmed and panicked when I'd try to get on him. It felt like just a young green horse being totally unsure. No malice. I basically backed him again, and it worked out alright. I've had him for 4 years now and don't regret the purchase and while he's an oddball, he's a great horse.

I'd buy unseen again and have been playing around with the idea because I'd like an "upgrade" in quality. I am hesitant to buy from the same seller though because they didn't disclose the fact that he has many scars and was a self mutilator as a stallion, and this was why he was gelded. I couldn't see the scars through his thick winter coat in the pics or vids. It's just cosmetic now, but still annoying. This seller seems to have a bunch of overpriced horses at the moment anyway, so I'm fine with avoiding them ;)

My budget is what it is and doesn't change for unseen horses. If I'm looking for a youngster in the 15-20k range, then that's what it is.

DizzyDoughnut

Visit site
I bought one unseen a couple of months ago although he's only 2 so would have been a bit of a risk either way. I just saw his photo and knew I wanted him, I spoke to his sellers and they seemed really genuine and open about him. They also vetted me really thoroughly to make sure we'd be suitable, which gave me more confidence that they really did want the best for him. I was so nervous waiting for him to arrive, but the fact that the transporter fell in love with him on the way here and was singing his praises when she sent me pictures of him along the way helped massively. He turned out to be exactly as described and he has the most amazing temperament (his sellers described him as a giant labrador who would do anything you asked of him with enthusiasm) So far I think he's been the best decision I've made in a very long time.

Tarragon

Visit site
I have bought unseen, based on photos and long conversations with the seller. But I have Exmoor ponies and I live a long way from Exmoor! It isn't a big financial risk and they have been unbacked youngsters, so there wouldn't have been much to go on.
I once bought one partly because of his name! I already owned a pony called Bilbo Baggins, so when a young one came up for sell when I was looking registered as Frodo, I couldn't resist :)

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
I bought Lottie unseen from Ireland after getting utterly fed up looking at overpriced, underwhelming horses in England. And spent a fair amount too - absolutely at the top of my budget. She is very well bred, dealer had a good reputation and she passed a 5 stage vetting so the plan was to sell on if I did not get on with her. I'm fairly confident that, barring disasters, I'd have made money on her selling in England if I did sell on. Luckily I adore her and she gives me an amazing feel when I ride. So all worked out well - at least from a 'is she the right horse for me' POV.

minesadouble

Visit site
I've bought 3 unseen.

1 youngster
1 Lead Rein/First ridden schoolmaster
1 Ex-racehorse, a real quality animal, for RoR showing.

Had them vetted and brought on a transporter.

I wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
I have only ever bought one unseen - a 3 year old flat shod Tennessee Walking Horse that I shipped to Ireland from Tennessee, purely based on many videos and a lot of interaction online and telephone conversations with his owner. I did have him vetted before I closed the deal.

He turned out to be exactly as described, if not even better so I was very happy. Was a very costly risk to take though, including quarantine, all vet tests for paperwork and actual flight to Holland and then transporter from Holland to Uk then on to Ireland. I definitely don't think I would risk that much money again though, it was a nail biting time until he actually got to me safe and sound!

Asha

Visit site
I would buy and have bought unbacked youngsters unseen . Im waiting for my new foal to arrive that I haven’t met yet . She arrives on Monday
But there’s no way I’d buy a ridden horse unseen .

daffy44

Visit site
I would buy and have bought unbacked youngsters unseen . Im waiting for my new foal to arrive that I haven’t met yet . She arrives on Monday
But there’s no way I’d buy a ridden horse unseen .

Exactly this.

I've bought quite a few foals, and I've bought all of them unseen, on the strength of video/pedigree/photos etc, and I'm very happy doing that, and its worked out well for me, but I've never bought a backed horse without having a sit on it first.

Michen

Visit site
Both my boys were bought unseen. I’d have probably bought Bear if I had viewed him but no way would I have bought Boggle!

That said neither were intended to keep and neither were expensive. I wouldn’t do it for a “proper” horse aka one that was expensive and supposed to be forever.

To me a green baby is a green baby so unlikely to feel anything when riding them. Personality wise I just wanted sane and intelligent and I do think you can see quite a bit from videos. I knew within 5 seconds of seeing Bear that he was the “one” and I knew with Boggle because of the way he turned his head to look at the chap filming- so full of intelligence and cheek.

My boys were, IMO, both very good buys for their type (despite their desire to keep my vet in business forever)

Steerpike

Visit site
The last 2 I brought unseen, the first was cheap the second was not, both turned out to be exactly how I thought they would be, their breeding was what I was looking for.

I'm Dun

Visit site
Mine was bought unseen, and was the most money I have ever spent on a horse. It was pretty scary when I was waiting for the transporter to drop him off, but he is a superstar. Everything I wanted and more and I adore him.

I did know people who had ridden him and I risked it as in the current market I could have sold him and not lost anything. But I just knew. I saw his photo and that was it. His ad made him sound not suitable really but hes perfect, much better than described.