Bye Bye old man ... Convinced he waited for me to be there!

luckilotti

hillhousestables.co.uk
I cant stop shaking. I just feel like i want to share with people who understand what its like when you have horses! i ended up being late to collect my twins from preschool, turned up head to toe in mud and they didnt get it at all....

Today i went to get one of my oldies in, he never made it. He's been hanging around the far side of the field a few days, but not wanted to come in. But today, i saw him stood there and though 'blow what he wants he can come in for the day' so off i tootled once his stable was ready with haylage in etc waiting for him. I walked to the furthest field shelter and gave him a fuss. He was circling around me as i checked his rugs etc and we started to walk in. He wasnt lame, wasnt stiff, wasnt even walking slowly. We had prob only been walking a min when i went slightly infront of him to guide the way as we were getting close to a puddle area. He went down.
At 1st i thought he was just having a roll, but as i crouched down next to him, i knew. I hadnt got my mobile with me as it was by my stable at the top as i had literally just gone to get him in. I screamed and screamed for one of the other liveries and thankfully despite the wind, one of the eventually heard me and came running over as i didnt want to leave him alone to get my mobile. He tried to get up after lots of us nagging at him but he couldnt. The vet was called and i laid with him, i then decided to get him a sip of water from a nearby puddle and it seemed to give him a boost to fight. It was helpless though.
the vet seemed to take forever to arrive and i was convinced he would be gone before she got there, the vet arrived and agreed with me that he was going, it was clear from his gums etc, she said it felt like his stomach etc had already given up on him. She walked back across the field to get her stuff. Trigger seemed to know, he was then helped along his way with me telling him he was a good boy, thanking him for being part of my life, telling him how much he was loved and that he was going to the a sunshine filled place where he can run free :-((((((((
before he went, i had a lot of time to talk to him when we were waiting for the vet and i told him all sorts. I also asked him to watch over his old owners.
I honestly believe he waited for me to be there with him and cant believe how he was full of it when i put his headcollar on and then maybe only 2 minutes later, that happened.
It would have been approx 11.45am when he went, i am really not sure on exact time as it all happened so quickly yet slowly.
Sadly due to where he went down, a local farmer has had to come and drag him out in order for him to be collected for cremation.

He was a fab horse. He was 29 and had only ever been part of 2 families. The man who bred him, his niece bought him at 3 but had been there with him from birth. Then i got him aged 23. despite him being 16.1, my twin toddlers could be around him and loved sitting on him in the stable, even after he had just whinnied right in their ears once. He was always a gent when my novice step daughter rode him.

I'm just so so shocked at how events unfolded and i am sure he waited so he wasnt alone.

RIP Trigger.

ThePony

Visit site
I'm so so sorry, I'm sure he was comforted to have you there. Massive hugs. I can't imagine how much you will miss him, but try to take some solace that he had a peaceful end with you right by his side - lucky horse.
xx

Mrs B

Visit site
So sorry! What an awful day for you. But so pleased you were with him and it sounds like he had a lovely life and was loved to the end: no horse could ask for more.

Hugs for you and sleep well, Trigger. x

Archangel

Visit site
I'm so sorry for your loss. He did indeed wait for you, he knew you would come for him. What a great relationship with a horse, even when they are old it doesn't make losing them any easier.

RIP Trigger.

Magicmillbrook

Visit site
I am so sorry for your loss. It sounds like he had a great life and a timely, peaceful end with someone who loved him. Once the shock and pain pass (and it will - eventually) you will have wonderful memories. Hugs to youxxx

Chestnutmare

Visit site
Oh I am so so sorry for your sad loss, it has made me cry in the office reading it, glad he went knowing he was loved had you with him too and peaceful.
Bless his heart, he's at peace now up there the star shining down on you all.

RIP Tigger

Boxers

Visit site
So sorry for your loss. At least you know he had a good life and you know that he died in familiar surroundings with someone who loves him.

RIP Trigger.

luckilotti

hillhousestables.co.uk
So sorry, what an awful, yet somehow great thing to happen RIP old man :(

This is it exactly, it's heartbreaking that hes gone, and so suddenly yet, so nice that he waited until i was there with him. but then you start to think maybe he was really scared etc.... too many what 'ifs' i guess but i am that type of person.

A lot of people thought i was mad when i got him, getting a horse already in his 20's but i had another the same age (who i lost 1 year and 4 days ago) who i had to retire, so Trigger was a perfect horse to come and join us for me to hack out on. I dont regret getting him for one minute.

I've been in contact with his old owner as obviously she had him some 23 years, she is also devestated as you can expect. But i guess it's not a bad way to go at all x

topclass

Visit site
Oh honey, im so so sorry for you, seems like im not the only one who's been in tears reading it. I know it hurts like hell but he did indeed wait for you he loved you so much he had to hang on and be with the person he loved the most and that sweetheart was you. RIP my little darling xxx

Oberon

Visit site
In tears now and gulping for air :(

So sorry for your loss.

But at least you could look him in the eye at the end and know you did right by him.

Skippys Mum

Visit site
So sorry to read this - and yes, I would agree that he waited till you were with him. I know my old boy did.

Hugs and RIP Trigger xxx

lea840

Visit site
RIP Trigger... what a lucky horse you were to have such a lovely mummy who stayed with you until the end... and you went knowing what a "Good Boy" you were x

LauraWheeler

Visit site
I'm so sorry for your loss. But he will have known how loved he was.
((((((((((hugs))))))))))) to you.
What a nice thought that he waited for you to be there. It sounds like that is what he did bless him. xx

RIP Trigger, run free and know you were truly loved. xx

Sprout

www.horse-riding-world.com
I am so very sorry for the shock you have been through, and for your terrible loss. I hope you can take some comfort from the knowledge that you were there for him at the end, and I am sure you have some wonderful memories to treasure.

My thoughts are with you. xx