Calling all Mums with horses and young children

vikkibeth

Visit site
Diet2ride that is such a shame about your friends little girl, it has been th opposite for my eldest as he hardly comes down with anything as for the youngest he's far too young to know how he will react and also he is lively and cosy in his snowsuit in his car seat in the car on the yard :) that's they way to do it :) lovely and warm.:cool:

riding_high

Visit site
i'm a mum to 3 kids (4yrs to 12yrs), all of them are autistic. 4 horses, 4 dogs, a husband and a partridge in a pear tree, ok no partridge but nearly! lol

my youngest is very into the horses and loves to help me fill water buckets, wash the feed bowls out and search for 'treasure' in the stable :D he's got a bucket and spade (the beach type ones) and he picks the poo up for me. my eldest is a big help as he will take boots and rug off, do up straps on rugs, roll bandages, fill waters etc etc. my middle child is not into horses at all but if i bribe him he will happily help me out. :D

Beatrice5

Visit site
I'm 33 with 4 boys aged 4, 6, 7 and 9, 3 dogs and sometimes puppies, 3 cats, 5 chickens and 3 horses ( mare, youngster and yearling filly from my mare)

I did have a TBx when we had the first two boys and only sold him as he loved competing and I didn't have the time so he went to a fantastic local family for their son to compete and he loved it. Best decision for horse and taught the boy a great deal plus I still got to see him everyday if I wanted to drive past or pop in for a cuppa :)

My lot now all fit in around eachother. The boys like being outdoors anyway and although only one wants to ride and is helping me back my 4 yo NF the others all help with sweeping, filling water buckets, hay etc.

Like you when we had my gelding he was on DIY and Mum or friend would turn him out if nec and I would drive at nap time and baby would sleep on yard in car. Just be flexible.

Tilda

Visit site
I am a northamptonshire mum with a 3 year old son, a horse, 3 dogs, a husband and a busy job! My parents think I am totally mad and worry about me having such a busy life but I love it especially as it keeps me thin!

I work 3 or 4 days a week so fit horse in between dropping son off at/ picking up from childcare luckily I have a job where I book my own appointments etc.. and when I have to work long days my husband mostly manages to do the childcare (sister in law is back up) so I can do horse when I get home (have assisted DIY so yard will turn out for me in morning). My son comes with me on days off and loves helping all the ladies on the yard and they all love him as he is really helpful, he is not so keen on my horse as she can be a bit moody so I tend to keep him at a distance from her but he helps with the ponies and the gentle giants.

I agree that it is a lovely way for children to grow up and my son has been down the yard with me since he was 3 months old (bought horse) and he is the best eater and best sleeper I know!

el_Snowflakes

Visit site
some inspirational stories on here!

I myself have no kids but Im at uni, work and have 1 horse & 1 OH :D. Im in my late 20s. Its fab to see how many of you fit horses around your family life. I could never give up horses. I think having horses is great for kids and i couldnt think of a better way of bringing up children...lots of lovely mud, freedom and fresh air! :D

ibot

Visit site
hey
this is a good post, i have 3 boys (5,7 and 11) and they are as mad as me lol
i have one friesian who i adore and if i did not have him i would have been put in the funny farm along time ago :p
not too mention the husband my very loyal jack russel cross.
i do admit that i find it hard to juggle the weekend and school holidays.
my youngest and oldest are great but my middle son is a nightmare and never sits at the yard and is always running around and whispering to my youngest all the naughty things to do :mad::mad:

so because of this i am putting my horse out on all the kids school holidays as i am not sure how to keep everyone happy.

tips on dealing with my kids would be great :confused::confused:

vikkibeth

Visit site
ibot, poor you sounds like you have your hands full. Not quite got to that stage just yet with mine, although when my husbands about I do find my little boy doing things he wouldnt normally do ie jumping from huge hay bales, rolling around in puddles :mad:, but guess thats all in a boys life growing up.

What is your middle child into? Could you encourage that with a rewards chart for every time he goes down and behaves well gets a point towards something? It worked with my friends 9 years old when it came to her walking her dogs with her 2 children, the oldest always would misbehave, I believe this has stopped since the chart.

vikkibeth

Visit site
Went to the health visitor today for sons injections at 9.15 and she couldn't believe I had done the horses, woke my son up, fed him and got him to school then came to her with my youngest lol.... All in a days work :)

andlaw

Visit site
I've got two girls, aged 2 and 4, a dog, cat, a 5 year old TBxID and a Section A. Oh and also a very busy job three days a week!

I get some very funny looks when I have the dog on a lead in one hand, the pony on a lead in the other hand with my 4 year old daughter riding and my 2 year old on my back in a backpack. It's one way of getting the dog walked, pony exercised and the 4 year old to stop moaning about walking too far.

Anyone live in the Herefordshire area?

Andie

lauzbeefy

Visit site
This post has made me feel so much happier about what I have to come!
When I fell pregnant I was told by someone who has had a child that it would be impossible to keep the horse. She said I would be neglecting my child. Lots of people have backed me up and said that wasnt the case but she is horsey herself!!!
I am looking forward to the challenge and as I gave up riding while pregnant (mainly for OH sake) I am desperate to get on board!!
I suppose only time will tell if I can manage but I will give it my best!!

elsielouise

Visit site
I usually walk the dogs (3) to the field whilst pushing the pushchair. When I get there, the three dogs run, toddler 'helps' and horses get fed and checked.

He's just getting old enough to come for a walk with pony though I tend to wait until I have another helper for that.

Its much easier now than it was as my son had terrible separation anxiety at one time and screamed even if I was just stood outside the car. On very cold days I drive the land rover into the field, stick dogs in the back and he sits next to the stables looking out the car windonw while I do jobs. He loves being outside, loves puddles and brushing and feeding the pony. I did swap my hunter for a Section A last year but I've kept my competition mare though she did do the square root of nothing bar hacking last year. I've had her 12 years since a weanling and she was never going anywhere so it didnt matter a whole pile.

Horses and children can be done if you are committed to it I think. Children are life changing - I never imagined I'd swap my hunter for a kids pony, but I've resolved to take my dippy WB hunting instead and lead my sons pony so it gets used to it. That should add a bit of excitement!!

vikkibeth

Visit site
It always makes things easier if your children enjoy it too! My 4 year old although loves being down does run hot and cold about whether he wants to ride so we part loan a section b but if he chooses to ride more often would love to get him a pony to lead out on hacks as my husband and I love hacking out (him on his bike lol and my son in a bike trailer) it's something we can all do together when the weathers nice! We tend to aim towards the next village ons pub and meet further family there. The pub landlord there is great and let's me tie my horse up an graze on the front garden and even bring out water and carrots :)

pedilia

Visit site
Yay, I don't feel so odd now!

I have four children between 2 and 10, 2 dogs, 1 cat, our own business and 3 horses. It's chaos but I love it!!

LizScott

Visit site
I have a 21mo little girl, a dog, 2 part-time kids (oh's!), 3 horses and an allotment. Two horses compete at BD and the other isn't in work. I don't have family around to help so I just get up early to ride one and ride the other when OH is finished work. It is completely do-able and keeps me sane!!!

Brownmare

Visit site
I'm over the border near Banbury with one horse, one child aged two and our own business. Utter madness but so long as there is enough daylight everything gets done, well no competing lately but that is more to do with lack of a lorry lol

Topstripe

Visit site
Yeah me too.

I have 2 kids (8 yr old and a 4 yr old), work 3 days a week have 3 horses, a dog and a husband LOL

Knackered is the term I use on a daily basis but I would not have it any other way
x

racingdemon

www.facebook.com
i've 2 boys (3 & 2) last season i did 9 BE events, hunted over the winter & managed to run a business, keep my husband happy ;) & while all that is going on we've been doing up a project of a house for the past 2 years (on & off) so it certainly can be done, just takes time, planning & lots of favours!

along with my horse we (my mum & I) have a selection of youngsters & other horses that take up time....my one compromise was that i can only have 1 horse in full work these days, saying that our 3yo will be ready to start in the summer, but i'm hoping to just get better organised!

as my husband says....Proper Planning & Preparation Prevents P*** Poor Performance.... he is forever reminding me of 'the 7 P's'

betti

Visit site
im a mum of 3 girls 9,5 and 1, i have a youngster who in the last few weeks ive been breaking,this last week hes been backed,this is my first time and im loving every minute, i have a fantastic YO who works for newmarket racing college who is there for me all of the way.Just because you have young children it shouldnt stop you, mine come with me every day and i involve them as much as i can.

catnritchie

Visit site
as my husband says....Proper Planning & Preparation Prevents P*** Poor Performance.... he is forever reminding me of 'the 7 P's'

Lol army by any chance?

I'm only 20 so no kids for a while but I was wondering, does anyone on here have a 5-day a week job and horses and kids? I can't see how I could do it tbh; surely you never have any free time to relax? I hate having kids at the yard a)because I'm worried they run behind/try and play hide and seek under the horses (genuinely happened on my old yard!) and hence get kicked or b) they run around making a lot of noise and annoying my quiet time. :eek:

ibot

Visit site
would you like more time with your horse or would you prefer more??

i do feel bad that paddy should get more work but as he is a youngster its nice for him to play.
i have asked my YM if my kids could clean up the hay barn during the next half term :D (have not told my boys yet thou)

vikkibeth

Visit site
Am very lucky that before I had my second and went on Mat leave my job meant I can be very flexible with when I worked (tend to do a lot of the hours at night as husband works nights) so I can fit in really nice time with both my horse and my son. I know I am soooo lucky, hopefully I will be able to continue this once I am off Mat leave.

missyme10

Visit site
I'm at a yard full of such mums :D

I got my daughter a pony at 4, and at the same time one for myself and my husband at the time also had a horse.

I'm now a single mum to my daughter who is now 9, she has her pony, I have a gypsey cob who she nicks most of the time, we have a welsh cob youngster and a dog.
We love it, keeps my daughter off the streets, always far to many things to do with the pets to be hanging about the streets.

Having horses and other pets is healthy for kids, I can't think of a better way to spend our time. Means the housework often goes to pot, but when you come home stinking of horse poor and covered in mud, we hardly care :D

Bedlam

Visit site
It's all fine as long as everyone loves horses. As soon as one or both of the kids says they would actually prefer to be playing football/ballet/moto-cross/chess that it gets tricky.

Then dragging them round after you and the horse routine becomes a little harder.......

vikkibeth

Visit site
It's all fine as long as everyone loves horses. As soon as one or both of the kids says they would actually prefer to be playing football/ballet/moto-cross/chess that it gets tricky.

Then dragging them round after you and the horse routine becomes a little harder.......

True true but until that day I will continue to hope that in a perfect world life will be kept easier lol...:rolleyes: Fingers x eh!

nikCscott

Visit site
I have a 5 & 4 year old, 2 horses and 2 dogs- and my husband works abroad, luckily I don't work as life is a huge juggling act.

Having babies 12 months apart- now thats hard not having horses too.

I find competing hard as I feel cheeky asking people to babysit for a whole day so don't do it as often and we'd like. 4 year old goes to nursery 4 mornings a week so I ride then. My girls love been with the horses and happy to spend hours on yard or in the field, I grew up on a farm so this is the closest I can give them and with full and exciting days they can forget that they miss Daddy for a while.

Wouldn't change it for the world

humph

Visit site
I have a 2.5yr old daughter and a son who is 1 today. I had a fit and over exuberant competition horse who I sold about 9 months after our daughter was born. Had he not been so full of bucks and naughtiness, I would have hung on to him but I realised that being bucked off so frequently really wasn't sensible as a new mother.

Now that the babies are getting older I am absolutely desperate to have a horse again and would work my life out to fit around having a horse. I feel SO strongly that it is the perfect upbringing for a child to be outdoors and in the mud and filth and, having been brought up that way, am determined I should bring our children up like that. Frustratingly though, our lack of funds is preventing me getting a horse so I'm now trying to work out how to work whilst looking after the babies so that I can save some money to buy a horse.

We also have 3 big and energetic dogs and I think that dogs and babies are such a happy mix - both adore each other.