Can I cry pls?

Dab

Visit site
she has carrots and the odd apples, she would normally have a sweede but she cant be bothered with the hassle of chasing it around the floor! I even tried blending carrots up but she still wouldnt eat her feed, so she gets them separately as a treat:)

You might want to reconsider feeding carrots and apples at all if it is an ulcer issue - difficult to do if she really loves them.....

...And Last night as I said she ate all her tea, and I then topped her up again before I went with a big bucket for the night and that was gone this morning, so this is just a blip. Plus Rowan Barbary feed samples arrived today so im going to add one of these to her food in a bit and see if this helps, there is a really nice herby one (solution mash) its got mints and fenugreek in it and smelly lurrrrrvely... if she doesnt want it I may munch it down myself ;)

Have you looked at how much hard feed she getting in one sitting, if it is too much then once the stomach is full the over-fill will just pass straight through and into the gut (partially digested) where it will cause problems. I think it takes about 1 hour for the stomach to empty properly.

Good luck and i hope you find out what the problem is soon.

Queenbee

Visit site
DAB, to be fair, we know there may be a slight possibility that its HG ulcers, but are more certain that it isnt, when I say she has carrots and apples, she has them occasionally this week she had about 4... a treat when someone came to see her, she has had no apples for probably 2 weeks and then it was about 2 in one day... so its really not overload city :D

With regards to hard feed she is getting 2/3 stubbs scoop in each meal - now up to 4 meals (breakfast, lunch, dinner and night time bucket) 1 scoop of fibre in her B,L,D and 3 scoops of fibre in her night time feed which she grazes on throughout the night.

We are taking her management very seriously and the structure and content of her diet is planned to provide the best possible for her. :D But it is a logistical nightmare :eek:

Queenbee

Visit site
Breast feeding an infant sounds easier :D

Lol! Its a good job I Love her, My uncle is a butcher in an abbatior, we were discussing the otherday that she is no longer cost effective for burger meat as it would probably cost more to kill her than what youd make from the meat on her bones:rolleyes: She could be the brooke charities pin up girl:rolleyes::rolleyes::eek::eek:

But damn me if she didnt get the energy up yesterday evening to boot ben one over her favourite piece of grass, he had the audacity to try and kick her too and I was sooooo :mad::mad::mad: at him and cheered her on:p:D:D:D for her little display of energy

Queenbee

Visit site
hi all, madam was very vocal today, but lacking energy:( She is now all warm and tucked up in bed, she turned her nose up at her baileys topline and mollichaff, so I tried one of the Rowan and barbary mashes (we were not amused!) so I hand fed her some high protein pellets and some topline mix and she ate about 1/2 a scoop, she then accepted a bowl of plain mollichaff (about 2 scoops) she is in now with her haylage and a big bin of hand picked grass, I mixed more chaff in with the food she refused and left it in there overnight... hopefully this will become more interesting to her and will be gone by tomorrow.

Weight tape is 390kg which is a drop from the 402-408 that she has consistantly been at, this was following coming in from the grass too :( Ive now had this reading twice out of the last 3 readings which is worrisome :(

No news back from the vets but looking at her at the moment, well today I really thought to myself that I believe that whatever I do, Im going to end up losing her, and if its malabsorption syndrome then a course of steroids are her only chance but the prognosis with MS is not good, recovery is very rare, and if it is chronic GS we are again weeks down the line and the weight is creeping down, not up.

Thats not to say Im drawing the line, Im not, I will keep her going for as long as she shows me she wants to, but I really do feel like it is a case of nursing her until 'that day' comes. Im going to upload a few pics from tonight. she doesnt actually look that different to the naked eye than in the pics earlier in this thread, but these were taken inside her stable and you can actually 'see' better, what she looks like.

Bertolie

Visit site
QB I am so sorry to hear about Ebony and your struggle to get her better. I have everything crossed that you can find an answer. Big hugs for you and lots and lots of healing vibes for Ebony. Please keep us updated. X

mcnaughty

Visit site
A horse at my old yard went downhill rapidly last summer - he was a purebred Fresian. Sorry to say it was a form of lymphoma in the end but they tried everything including gastroguard. He had terrible fluid retention in his legs as well as the drastic weight loss.

Sorry - v sad for you and your mare.

Queenbee

Visit site
here we go, be prepared to feel sick, I do:(:(:(:(

IMG_0250.jpg

IMG_0246.jpg

IMG_0245.jpg

IMG_0252.jpg

IMG_0248.jpg

Queenbee

Visit site
Oh Lord - I've been following your thread with interest. I'd no idea she was so thin. Sending you & horse lots of love. XX M

I know, its been really hard to get photos of what she really looks like, the shadows and shapes get distorted in photos so easily and photos end up adding weight... this is the first time the pics have actually really shown her how she is, the lighting inside was much better to illustrate this. :(

Parker79

Visit site
Oh bless her...so sorry she is struggling Queenbee. I really really hope the vets can start to help you. When are they coming next?

Queenbee

Visit site
Well, we are awaiting a second opinion from liverpool, as soon as the vet has that he is going to call me (we had hoped it would be today, so probably tomorrow) and we will arrange the next step, so they could be out as soon as tomorrow.

Milanesa

Visit site
I have been following your threads, so sorry for you. Hope u get some answers tomorrow from the vets. Can she be given iv fluids to help her? There have been so many suggestions to what it could be, you have really done some background on almost every ailment it seems. well done you for staying strong for her I can't imagine how sad you must be feeling. Wishing you and her all the best. Xx

meesha

Visit site
I have also been following your thread and tbh had no idea how much she had lost, I am thinking of you both and keeping everything crossed that they find a reason behind it all - even if it is not good news at least you will know what you are facing and can then make a plan of action, you are obviously doing all you can - she is lucky to have you xxxx

Queenbee

Visit site
I have also been following your thread and tbh had no idea how much she had lost, I am thinking of you both and keeping everything crossed that they find a reason behind it all - even if it is not good news at least you will know what you are facing and can then make a plan of action, you are obviously doing all you can - she is lucky to have you xxxx

TBH, Her normal weight is 500kg, and the weight tape is showing 390kg, but lets face it shes never going to be able to reduce the girth of her ribcage, so we are just going with a guestimate, it may well be less than 390 given all the muscle wastage now :(

Parker79

Visit site
I truly truly hope she will pull through, you are clearly trying everything and have researched so much.

Hope the vet gets back to you soon, whatever happens you have my utmost respect...I really have all my fingers crossed for you.

Bright_Spark

Visit site
Poor girl :(

I don't have any suggestions I'm afraid but really hope that Ebony picks up and you are able to find a root cause.

Hugs and vibes for you both

lachlanandmarcus

Visit site
Heart-breaking photos. Poor Ebony, and poor you. ((((hugs))))

This. Have everything crossed for Ebony, it must be terrible to watch her wasting like that.

Just remember whatever decision you make, if and whenever you make it, will be the right one, because you love her and you want the best for her. She knows that.

Surreydeb

Visit site
Just seen your pics truly heartbreaking must be so hard to see her like that. Hope you get to the bottom of it soon and it's curable

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I know from experience how difficult it can be to stay positive while the vets are doing test after test and coming up with nothing useful.
Fingers crossed your results come back tomorrow with a way forward.
Our oldie loves grassnuts mixed with Graze-on, which with a dollop of molasses and some linseed keeps her weight on over the winter and put her weight back after a nasty bout of colic.

Emilieu

Visit site
Oh Queenbee. Those are sad photographs to see after following her is she/ isn't she thread just last year. How hard this must be for you. Just hugs. I know you will stay strong for her however long she needs you to x

Queenbee

Visit site
I must admit Im struggling today, things are a bit grey, and my mood and emotions are obviously directly linked to how I find her on a day to day basis.

I am just so very touched by the support and genuine caring that i have received from everyone on here and just in general, I've had ((((hugs)))), PMs, ideas, comparison stories, tons of well wishes, nutritional advice and samples from the feed companies who couldn't have been more helpful, texts, offers of help.... Im blown away, and sometimes it makes me even more emotional and I cry, lots:eek:, but it has also given me hope, focus and courage and the absolute certainty that even though I feel completely alone in the dark, Im not alone. No one can wave a magic wand, and as time goes on I really doubt there is going to be a fix no matter what we try (even though we will try as long as she tells me she wants to) but, you are all giving me strength....

Thank you so much and never underestimate what every single one of your posts and PMs means to me.

xx Emily xx

Emilieu

Visit site
The not knowing and related up and downs must be very wearing. I sincerely hope that the vets are able to offer you some answers tomorrow.
Try to get some sleep xxx