Can people hack with friends during COVID 19?

Muddywellies

Visit site
This debate just keeps going round and round and round and every time someone posts it 'again' on social media, it stirrs up the hornets nest again with everyone thinking their own interpretation is correct. Just wish we could agree to disagree. As long as we are all doing our bit to slow the spread, and can justify our actions as far as our choices with our horses is concerned (because each and every case is different) , then let's just let it lie maybe.

Ali27

Visit site
Luckily I keep my ponies at home so it’s easy to keep to myself! Luckily my mare is good to hack on her own too! I use the arena next door but currently use it when no one else is around. I wouldn’t ride in there if someone else was using it. I take my bottle of spray up to use on gate! I’ve just made an arena with cones in one of my fields and I also have ten acres to ride around just incase there is a stricter lock down. I also use my hack as my daily exercise.

Duckanasteroidiscoming

Visit site
This debate just keeps going round and round and round and every time someone posts it 'again' on social media, it stirrs up the hornets nest again with everyone thinking their own interpretation is correct. Just wish we could agree to disagree. As long as we are all doing our bit to slow the spread, and can justify our actions as far as our choices with our horses is concerned (because each and every case is different) , then let's just let it lie maybe.

Well said.

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
You could argue that a cricket match is different as those people are engaging in the same game whereas people in the school are working ndependently in the same area like two joggers on the same running track but not running togethe and keeping their distance.

I've been trying to go in when no one is around but some hang around all day and as soon as i start ask if they can come in or how long I'm going to be and then hover so I end up cutting short.

Winters100

Visit site
When will people listen to what’s being said.
SLOW the spread not stop. Argh! There is a massive difference.

Yes, but to be fair the only way to slow the spread it for individuals to stop spreading it through unnecessary contact. So if you are unknowingly infected you might, for example, infect one other person in a pharmacy, but in choosing not to go to the yard or to hack with your friend you would avoid spreading it further than this. I think that the advice is clear that we need to stay home, and to me this means visit your horses if there is truly no one else to give basic care, do the necessary as quickly as possible and go home. If there is someone to give basic care then we should stay home.

Almost 1000 people died in the last 24 hours, all that is being asked of us as our contribution to the situation is to stay home as much as we possibly can, it is not terribly onerous. If the worst that we suffer from this is not seeing our horses for a while then we will have been truly very lucky.

maggiestar

Visit site
You could argue that a cricket match is different as those people are engaging in the same game whereas people in the school are working ndependently in the same area like two joggers on the same running track but not running togethe and keeping their distance.

I've been trying to go in when no one is around but some hang around all day and as soon as i start ask if they can come in or how long I'm going to be and then hover so I end up cutting short.
The rules say you can take one form of exercise a day, alone or with members of your household. I suppose it would depend on how many people were in the school and whether it was indoors or outdoors but I'd err on the side of caution annoying though it is.

be positive

Visit site

Your YO doesn't seem to be taking this seriously enough, think it was your yard having visiting instructors in a while ago, they must limit how many owners are on the yard at any time, restrict how long they stay, what they can do and if they are to remain open make those rules fair to all liveries, no one should be 'hanging around all day' they have no reason to do so.

I only have two liveries riding and am happy to have them both here sometimes as they can keep to their own space, do what they need to and go once finished, if I had more I would allocate a time slot and ensure they stick to it, if they didn't there would be every chance of the yard being closed.

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
Your YO doesn't seem to be taking this seriously enough

They're really aren't taking it seriously at all but there's not a lot I can do. I'm in enough trouble for suggesting taking a horse out in a lorry wasn't essential travel and don't want to find myself looking for a new yard when most are lockdown.

phizz4

Visit site
It isn't just about stopping the virus from spreading, it's about reducing the potential impact on the NHS. Any sport carries with it a degree of risk of injury, so you could end up falling from your horse and taking up a hospital bed needed by someone with Covid19. Even the most perfectly trained or behaved horse can have a bad day, get spooked etc. Also, many people are driving to see their horses. Unless you are DIY that is an unnecessary journey, again, designed to reduce the likelihood of accidents and pressure on A and E. Yes, it's tough, we haven't seen our horses for over two weeks, let alone ridden them (yard is in lock-down to protect the staff), but by following the government guide lines we hope that we will still be alive to ride them again when this calms down. Your horses will be there, make sure that you re also going to be there for them!

be positive

Visit site
They're really aren't taking it seriously at all but there's not a lot I can do. I'm in enough trouble for suggesting taking a horse out in a lorry wasn't essential travel and don't want to find myself looking for a new yard when most are lockdown.

I just hope no one on the yard gets cv-19 as it will be a disaster for the whole yard especially if anyone is really unwell, at least here by being careful I hope we will not all be hit at the same time so the horses can be cared for, it is out of your hands and there is not much you can do other than try to keep yourself as safe as possible.

Goldenstar

Visit site
I have one horse being ridden it’s on welfare grounds I talked with the vet and physio so the freelancer who rides is hacking him .
Not what I wanted to do but it was that or probably shoot him .
non of this easy it’s a nightmare .
As I see if MrGS and I wanted to ride we could we would not need to worry about distancing and it’s easy round here never to touch a gate on all our short rides .

CavaloBranco

Visit site
No personal scientific proof but I think that this virus is also now spreading by living on surfaces, apparently for as long as 3 days. So that's locks, gates etc on rides or bolts, taps, locks feed bins and buckets etc on the yard. It must be sensible to minimise the risks, surely?

Goldenstar

Visit site
Yes but you should be working to prevent these risks washing communal gates wearing gloves if you choose my freelancers do washing hands regularly using sanitiser while you are on the yard these are all manageable risks

scats

Visit site
Look at them for alcohol! People seem to be drinking even more than usual at the moment. And DIY. Every man and his dog is doing DIY. You don't hear anyone saying anything about that though.

My friend sent me a terrifying picture of her husband at the top of a ladder, precariously balanced while he chopped down some branches...

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
My friend sent me a terrifying picture of her husband at the top of a ladder, precariously balanced while he chopped down some branches...
erghhh we have time to sort some of the dodgy boundary fencing at the big field this weekend and OH suggested I should be on chainsaw duty. That'll be a NO! o_O i think I will opt for tractoring.

Upthecreek

Visit site
This is going round in circles because sadly we are nearly three weeks into ‘lockdown’ and it’s blatantly obvious from some of the posts on this forum that people still don’t understand the rules or have decided they don’t apply to them. If that is a fair representation of society as a whole we are up sh*t creek without a paddle.

Leandy

Visit site
One friend only in my view (or you are an illegal gathering unless of same household), and maintain social distancing. This is better than individually on general safety grounds also for those concerned about extra strain on emergency services.

Duckanasteroidiscoming

Visit site
The problem for people is that the law and the guidance from government aren't the same.

Non-essential travel shouldn't be done but it is not illegal to exercise away from your home, so strict interpretation of the law means you can drive somewhere and exercise however the government guidance requests that exercise is done from home. So driving just to ride your horse isn't illegal but as per the government guidance it is a no go. Riding on your own or with a member of your household is allowed as a form of exercise. If you stay 2 metres apart then riding in an arena with some who isn't a member of your household, or even on the same road/track, is also not illegal. In England, Scotland and Northern Ireland the number of times a day you can exercise is not limited (though guidelines advise once a day). In Wales it is illegal to exercise more than once a day.

There is a lot of misunderstanding of the rules, such as between non-essential shops/retailers and hospitality providers, which legally should be closed and non-essential businesses (manufacturers, solicitors, engineering firms, construction etc etc) which can carry on trading, and have been encouraged to do so by the government, but some people think shouldn't be.

Upthecreek

Visit site
It is very clear. As per the gov.uk website you are permitted to take “one form of exercise a day, for example a run, walk or cycle - alone or with members of your household”.

Nobody should be doing anything ‘with’ friends or people they do not live with, even though they are maintaining social distancing.

Iris1995

Visit site
There will always be people that don’t agree with laws and will do their own thing or we wouldn’t need the police, tax inspectors etc. People will still steal, assault others and ignore the current coronavirus restrictions if they feel they can. It is nothing about interpretation of guidance it is about some people continuing to do what they want irrespective of laws or peer pressure. Their health and their family’s health may depend on those who comply so let’s hope enough of us do.

Muddywellies

Visit site
There's far too much going on out there and too much else to worry about, than this darned to ride/not to ride debate.
Do what you want if its safe and justifiable.
Going back to my welfare calls now to those who are medically isolating as I've got fair few to get through....
Ps for anyone who is bored there are PLENTY of volunteering opportunities.

angrybird1

Visit site
If this Easter weekend shows loads of people breaking the rules which I personally fear it will riding will be out completely as I think restrictions will be tighter. As in no outdoor exercise which has already been threatened.
People need to use common sense which sadly appears not to be so common.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
No personal scientific proof but I think that this virus is also now spreading by living on surfaces, apparently for as long as 3 days. So that's locks, gates etc on rides or bolts, taps, locks feed bins and buckets etc on the yard. It must be sensible to minimise the risks, surely?

Yes. By cleaning them.