Can we please do away with the term 'cubbing'?

happyhunter123

Visit site
It's awful! People don't go 'foxing' or 'stagging', they go foxhunting or staghunting (as was pointed out I believe by the Duke of Beaufort, who loathed the expression)! We should really refer to it as 'cub hunting' or even better, 'autumn hunting', which probably describes it more accurately.

In Eng/Scot/Wales, the term 'cub hunting' is not as relevant anymore anyway, though I appreciate that many hunts still carry out forms of fox control in line with the exemptions in the Hunting Act, especially before the season begins.

Shysmum

www.youtube.com
Oh dear. Cubbing, "autumn hunting" and cub hunting sound just as awful as each other, and everyone knows EXACTLY what they mean. And it ain't exactly legal is it. However you dress it up.

Hunting with hounds is actually ILLEGAL.

happyhunter123

Visit site
Oh dear. Cubbing, "autumn hunting" and cub hunting sound just as awful as each other, and everyone knows EXACTLY what they mean. And it ain't exactly legal is it. However you dress it up.

Bear in mind that hunting with hounds (in the traditional form) is only illegal in England, Scotland and Wales. There are other countries in the world! I assume we have forum members on here from Ireland, the US, or from any of the other countries in which hunting is practiced. Also bear in mind that there are several exemptions through which foxes may still be killed by hunts under the Hunting Act (and even bigger loopholes in the Scottish 'ban').

People still continue to use the term in this country because that's what they've always called it. I've always been told that it was the incorrect terminology, and that 'cub hunting' (the idea of calling it 'autumn hunting' was introduced about 20 years ago, and never fully caught on, though it would be more accurate if people used that term in the post-HA era) was correct.

Last edited:

cptrayes

Visit site

Hunting with hounds is actually ILLEGAL.

I doubt of many people do know 'exactly' what it means.

Exactly what it means is that you ring an area of woodland that you know has foxes born this year inside it with riders on horses and tell them to make a lot of noise to keep the cubs inside the covert.

Then you put in a pack of hounds and sit and wait for them to slaughter the cubs.

No wonder people want it called something else!.

Clava

Visit site

Exactly what it means is that you ring an area of woodland that you know has foxes born this year inside it with riders on horses and tell them to make a lot of noise to keep the cubs inside the covert.

Then you put in a pack of hounds and sit and wait for them to slaughter the cubs.

That is disgusting.

Jesstickle

Visit site

Of course people know what it means. They certainly do in the hunting forum where we are anyway. I have known that since I first went out on the lead rein as does everyone else I hunt with!

No, I will continue to call it cubbing as it is easier to say than autumn hunting and it doesn't bother me in the slightest. The name, or the practise which is, of course, now illegal and cubbing is basically just hacking around and doing not a lot now!

I do see your point OP, it is a weird word but it works and everyone knows what it means so why fix what isn't broken? I haven't seen the meet card for the year but it will use the ohrase autumn hunting I am sure, I just find cubbing easier in general conversation :)

Last edited:

Jas123

Visit site
Cubbing is what everyone refers to it as. I understand "cub hunting" is correct but a bit of a mouthful!
I had a great day cubbing yesterday!
Seems odd people on a hunting forum being anti-hunting but there we go, takes all sorts!

webble

Visit site

Disgusting!!

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site

*sigh*

Yet another person who has not kept up with the times.....
Have YOU actually been autumn hunting in the past few years?
If so, you would know that not only the MFHA, but also the courts, would be very keen to haul any hunt up that might have carried what you suggest out, never heard so much drivel in all my life! :rolleyes3:

Please, try to stick to facts, not to peddle total lies and untruths to generate hostility and division, its really quite unpleasant :(

Moomin1

Visit site
Cubbing is what everyone refers to it as. I understand "cub hunting" is correct but a bit of a mouthful!
I had a great day cubbing yesterday!
Seems odd people on a hunting forum being anti-hunting but there we go, takes all sorts!

Why is it 'odd'. The clue is in the name of the forum 'HORSE' and Hound. There are plenty of horsey people who disagree with hunting.

Moomin1

Visit site
If you disagree then why are you on the hunting part of the forum?
It is ODD!!!

I wasn't. I use the 'New Posts' search rather than look at individual parts of the forum. This popped up.

Also, just because I may not agree with hunting, does not mean I am not entitled to view certain threads out of interest.

Morgan123

Visit site
Hello, I'm interested, what do they do now after the ban instead of the usual cubbing? Is a scent laid but just in a more specific area than usual? Just out of interest!

As regards language, you're fighting a losing battle. People use the language they want to use and have always used, no point moaning about it, you have to just accept it (even when it's annoying, like when apostrophes are misused!).

oakash

Visit site
I have to agree that people use the language they wish to. What I find objectional is the way people increasingly refuse to accept we are rational and (reasonably) intelligent animals. History shows that too many of one species becomes a problem. All of us realised that mink and foxes need control - surely the happenings in the city with fox attacks show us that? Why can't all of us accept that culling badgers is the way forward? Silly arguments about badgers moving into empty badger setts are an argument for more extensive culling, not less. If a practical and effective method of vaccination were available, why on earth would it not have been used?

Culling a few cubs each year by hounds, when foxhunting was legal, was an obvious and natural method, far more in touch with nature than some people's current hysterical objections to it.

Bring back proper hunting if we all want a balanced management of our wildlife.

happyhunter123

Visit site
I had expected that the title of this attract some of the rather more anti members of this forum, though a hunting debate wasn't my intention! :eek:

(I will add that I find nothing remotely 'vile' about the practice, it was effective in thinning out the fox population on a local level and the deaths of the 'cubs' (which are, in reality, half grown foxes, not little cute fluffy things) is very fast at the jaws of the hounds)

Last edited:

happyhunter123

Visit site
But what exactly is cubbing now that the ban is in force? This isn't a pro or anti question I'm just interested.

'Cubbing' is still the period of pre-main season hunting from August to October. Different hunts will be doing different things or a mixture of different things. Early mornings/afternoons will be spent either exercising hounds, trail hunting, or carrying out fox control measures within the Hunting Act, for example flushing from covert to a bird of prey (it is far more effective doing this when the foxes are younger) or flushing to guns using two hounds. Terrier work, again under the exemption, may also take place. It is important that hunts provide a fox control service wherever possible to maintain good relationships with the landowners.

In regards to trail hunting, lines being laid will be much shorter than those laid in the main season. You don't want the hounds and the horses tired out before the main season starts. Training of the hounds is the main aim.

Jesstickle

Visit site
*sigh*

Yet another person who has not kept up with the times.....
Have YOU actually been autumn hunting in the past few years?
If so, you would know that not only the MFHA, but also the courts, would be very keen to haul any hunt up that might have carried what you suggest out, never heard so much drivel in all my life! :rolleyes3:

Please, try to stick to facts, not to peddle total lies and untruths to generate hostility and division, its really quite unpleasant :(

:D

Cubbing, which has always been as dull as dishwater to be fair, is really just a very slow hack with lots of waiting around now!

I haven't ever seen hunting with a bird of prey but I would love to. I bet they're amazing to watch!

Orangehorse

Visit site
I think that post ban it is better to refer to it as Autumn Hunting, even though amongst hunting people you will still continue to say "cubbing" as that is what it has always been.

Our hunt has a bird of prey, but uses the Autumn Hunting mainly as a way to get horses fit for proper hunting, as there seem to be a lot of newbies who don't realise how to get a horse fit. It is also very useful for young horses as they don't go tearing around the countryside, there is still alot of standing around.

Sherston

Visit site
So once again we have established the fact that some people like hunting and some people don't - excellent, I have no problem with people not liking hunting, that's a fact of life with everything. But I don't post on cycling forums objecting to it because I don't like cycling (or any other topic, of which there could be may!). I would see this as a waste of my time as I'm a normal human being that is happy that people get on with whatever they want to, other people of course don't just do what they like to do, but also try and tell other people what to, or not to do.

Back to the thread. There is either cub hunting or Autumn hunting, Cubbing is a frequently used made up word. Cubs become foxes on the 1st November and then we go fox hunting.

Of course other people shoot, or snare, or dig, or run over, or poison foxes or cubs all year round, which or course is legal, but that's the law for you.

Sherston

skint1

Visit site
My daughter is taking my horse to a cubbing thing this weekend. My horse is an old hand at hunting and I think she will love it, but I don't think it would be fair for her to do a full on hunt as she is older now so they probably won't get too involved later in the season when I understand that things get hairier, they will only do ones with optional fences, I guess that's draghunting. I know nothing about hunting, my daughter did a season with the VWH and Beaufort when she was a teen (she rode for someone else as I could not have afforded the cap) I got the impression that in reality it is a 6 mile fun ride with hounds which I think my horse and daughter will enjoy.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
My daughter is taking my horse to a cubbing thing this weekend. My horse is an old hand at hunting and I think she will love it, but I don't think it would be fair for her to do a full on hunt as she is older now so they probably won't get too involved later in the season when I understand that things get hairier, they will only do ones with optional fences, I guess that's draghunting. I know nothing about hunting, my daughter did a season with the VWH and Beaufort when she was a teen (she rode for someone else as I could not have afforded the cap) I got the impression that in reality it is a 6 mile fun ride with hounds which I think my horse and daughter will enjoy.

Not necessarily.

Most hunts have 'novice days' early season, and plenty will have someone there to help new persons find their way.

However, tho drag hunting is similar in set up, in that sometimes there are novice meets (and dodgable fences) other times the meets are noted as 'not suitable for novices or those who do not jump', so worth checking your hunt card & if in doubt check with the secretary :)

skint1

Visit site
Thanks for that The Fuzzy Furry! I shall make sure she checks very carefully, she plans to ring the secretary of this meet to introduce herself beforehand and ensure it is ok to come along etc. I'm quite excited for them, I just hope my mare remembers afterwards that she is not a hunter but a babysitter for an old lady hacker :)

cptrayes

Visit site
I don't post on cycling forums objecting to it because I don't like cycling (or any other topic, of which there could be may!). I would see this as a waste of my time as I'm a normal human being that is happy that people get on with whatever they want to, other people of course don't just do what they like to do, but also try and tell other people what to, or not to do.

The differences being, of course, that cyclists don't kill animals and that cub hunting is illegal.

Jas123

Visit site
Even if they did make cycling illegal, I personally still wouldn't post nonsense I knew nothing about on a cycling forum!!