Can you REALLY afford your horse(s)?

The horse is of Olympic standard, which is worth more

• Total voters

Blizzard

Visit site
As title says really, Ive seen a few posts over the last few months about people saying they cant afford x/y and z for their horse, or even basics such as livery, perhaps contemplating getting sharers or even selling up.

It got me wondering just how many of us are in debt to keep our horses, or cant really afford them but dont want to give them up.

Im sure many of us sacrifice something to have them, I know I dont buy myself normal clothes as often, or go out as much. but I would rather have the boys than do that.
smile.gif

Blackhawk

sublimedesigns.moonfruit.com
I can afford my horse, who is on full livery. I'm left with very little at the end of each month though, so in my mind I don't afford him very well!

I've never gone into debt/used loans for horses. I am however in debt.

tkmaxx

Visit site
I seem to be the only person in debt at the moment. In fairness, it's not all the horse's fault, but if she didn't require so much I'd probably be better off!
I'm not getting any worse though, so with a bit of effort, things should start to improve. Oh I've jinxed it now haven't I!

KatB

Visit site
Yes, I can afford my horse and dont go into debt for his keep etc. However, I have gone into debt in the past for the "luxuries" like a lorry/expensive tack etc, but it is all debt that could be paid off very easily, in the same way people use credit cards etc for shoes/clothes. I dont believe people should have horses if they rely soley on an income from a 3rd party to afford everyday keep. I wouldnt take out a loan to get a horse.

Blizzard

Visit site
Im not in debt because of my horses, I can afford to buy them everything they need, but that is because I sacrifice things myself, like going out, buying clothes for the sake of it, having a social life LOL.

Mid

www.just-dreaming.webs.com
we've poor these last few months due to unexpected house stuff, as well as vets bills for the fat pony.... we just go without nice food for a bit! and no christmas presents, except for essentials (im getting socks and 6 bales of shavings for Xmas!)

i don't think people should own a horse if they can't pay for basics, but perhaps loan one? a fully insured loaned horse (native type) on DIY grass livery isn't really that expensive!
tongue.gif

the watcher

Visit site
I had 3 for a while, I hadn't planned it that way and in spite of having a sharer I could see that long term it was going to cause real problems, and was a struggle at the time. now I have two which is financially more manageable, and I can cope without a sharer.

I will have three again next year, but one will be a foal so shouldn't incur extra livery until weaned - by which time I am assuming that one of the loan horses will go back to the owner.

Angua2

Visit site
I could afford one with out too much struggling, but I have 2. Admittedly Life would be easier without the 2nd one, who has a sharer. and there isn't an awful lot left for much else

asbo

Visit site
We can afford the 2 we have, if we could not we wouldnt have them.

Not in debt from the horses either.

D

Donkeymad

I can afford mine and can afford to buy what they need. I don't however buy much for myself, cheap clothes, no holidays, no meals out etc.
I also had a loan for my first one, just £800 which I paid off easily in two years. Never again though, it's silly.

soph21

Visit site
I can afford mine but they are only on grass livery, i couldnt afford stables etc.. I buy them rugs as and when they need them but they dont have a rug for every occasion, they've all got a medium weight rug and an old spare for when they get soaked through. I buy a bag of cheap cool mix (£5.19) and molli chaff (£4.68) each week, and in winter i buy sugar beet shreads. and a bale of haylege every 2-3 weeks which is £20.
Bear is shod every 10-12 weeks, Buddie's feet are trimmed when he needs it. Thats about it really!!
I'll have Bertie gelded in Febuary time.
Thats about it i think! Dentist annually and vets whenever they need it.

kombikids

Visit site
my horse has everything she needs including seven rugs, best tack etc, i meanwhile have one pair of trousers (with button falling off), no coats and cant remember the last time i bought something like make up for myself!!!

Tia

Visit site
Are you in debt because of your horse?
No I would never get into debt for a horse

Can you afford everything your horse needs?
Yes I can afford everything all of my horses need

Have you considered selling up/loaning./sharing because of not being able to afford all your horses costs?
No would never consider loaning/sharing for financial reasons. If I can't afford the horse, then I can't afford the horse and would sell....quite simple.

Do you think you shouldnt have a horse if you cant afford all the costs yourself, ie without sharers etc
No. I certainly wouldn't have a horse if I couldn't afford all costs myself.

Would you ever take out a loan to buy a horse?
No, as said previously, I would never get myself into debt over a horse.

Stoxx

Visit site
Yep I can afford everything they need. I could probably push having another on full livery if I wanted to, but at the moment I don't have the time to keep another in full work.
I wouldn't get a loan to buy a horse.

Enfys

Visit site
Happily, yes I can afford my horses.
If I was paying board then although I could afford it I certainly wouldn't have four of them.

Christmas_Kate

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
we've poor these last few months due to unexpected house stuff, as well as vets bills for the fat pony.... we just go without nice food for a bit! and no christmas presents, except for essentials (im getting socks and 6 bales of shavings for Xmas!)

i don't think people should own a horse if they can't pay for basics, but perhaps loan one? a fully insured loaned horse (native type) on DIY grass livery isn't really that expensive!
tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

where'd you find a loan pony that comes ready insured? a loan horse costs exactly the same as having one of your 'own', except the initial cost of buying it...

No, I'm not in debt. And wouldnt either.

Nailed

Visit site
I can afford everything my horse needs to be healthy and happy..
Can i afford to get him everything I WANT to get him? No.
Can i afford to do what i want with him? NO
is he out on loan? He's on share.
Is he happy? I think so.. seems to be..

Is he still a fruit loop? ABSOLUTLY!
lou x

Gorgeous George

Visit site
I have a separate account for me and OH has one the same and we can do whatever we like with those accounts, but it is there to cover our own clothes and presents to each other. It is £500 a month and I choose to use my to pay for George, as I have him on full livery there is scant little left each month so I don't really get new clothes and OH christmas present may be a bit naff! I try to save whatever is left in case of emergencies/ vets bills etc. However if there was a dire problem I'm sure OH and I would sort something out. I would be terrified of being in debt because of George.

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
Well, I have to say I never intended to have three...but my OH half shares one of them...with the intention of taking her over entirely at some point.
I'm probably lucky in that I can get work that pays well and gives free livery....should I choose to take it.
I wouldn't ever sell my three...but if finances were a problem...I'd put them on loan to some unsuspecting person
grin.gif

S
smile.gif

Tia

Visit site
Well I've loaned out horses/ponies to people when I haven't had time to do anything with them, and I always carry the insure for them.
smile.gif

htobago

Visit site
I wouldn't have a horse if I couldn't afford everything it needed!

Tobago lives in 5-star luxury - unlike his owner lol!

He does 'help out' by earning some of his keep/expenses in stud fees, bless him, but I do not rely on this and it isn't essential - he's my friend, not a business.
smile.gif

Tia

Visit site
You see it wouldn't make sense for me as the owner NOT to insure them. I had my policy with all my horses on it and there's no incentive for me to chop and change the policy.....and I'd never ever have the loan person in charge of insuring MY horse. I want to make sure the horse is fully covered in any eventuality.

LauraBR

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I'd never ever have the loaner in charge of insuring MY horse. I want to make sure the horse is fully covered in any eventuality.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here. Insurance is one thing I would 100% want to continue to do myself if I loaned a horse, I would insist on it.

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
You see it wouldn't make sense for me as the owner NOT to insure them. I had my policy with all my horses on it and there's no incentive for me to chop and change the policy.....and I'd never ever have the loan person in charge of insuring MY horse. I want to make sure the horse is fully covered in any eventuality.

[/ QUOTE ]

I suspect that only the owner (in the UK anyway) can insure them for death or loss of use...(I'm not sure about vet bills though). If you think about it, I can't insure a house or car I rent or lease...as they're not mine...
laugh.gif

S