Cant help him no more

traceyann

Visit site
Iv been up all night making the decision about my little spanish horse. And i think putting to sleep is my only option. He is so difficult he rears and boxes although he has now stopped that for the moment anyway. Well yesturday getting him in he booted me something hes never done and as i lay on the floor was trying to rear on top of me i have never been so scared in my life. I dont remember how but my cob all of a sudden had him on the floor and was kicking him. without being a drama queen i think he saved my life. I just cant get my head round putting down a healthly horse. He now sadly scares the hell out of me. And i will not rehome him anywhere now.

Circe

Visit site
Oh dear, I hope you are ok?
That sounds like a very frightening experience for you.
Do you know a reason why your horse rears? is it behavioural or has he got pain? ( I'm sorry if you have posted about him somewhere else )
Is it worth considering sending him to a trainer?
Its a horrible decision to have to make.
Kx

yellowdun

Visit site
How frighteneing. What a good job your cob was near. I dont know if you have poted anything about him previously, but could he be riggy? I was on a yard many years ago when a similar thing happened with a livery horse. That horse attacked several people in similar ways. It turned out he had a testicle that hadnt dropped and been taken away. Once that was done he was a lovely boy.

Make sure you keep yourself safe though (wear a BP and a hat around him) and I hope you are not too sore today.

missieh

Visit site
Why not try a Natural horsemanship trainer? It could help you and your horse to understand each other better. Very few sessions may be needed and you can then at least say you've tried.

thatsmygirl

Visit site
With out sounding horrid in any way, which I'm not as I don't know the situation but are you being firm with this horse and setting boundies for him? Or is he just running riot like a kid out off control? I say this because iv rehab quite a few horses now and really enjoy doing so and the bigger the challenge the better but in all cases but one ( which was pain related) it was the owner who was at fault not the horse. Just makes me wonder if somebody could actually turn him around as long as they had his full history. I don't believe any horse will act in that way unless it is pain or owner fault with all the horses iv worked with ( about 14 now) like I say 1 never came right but all the rest have.

Foxhunter49

Visit site
Why is it that people think that because they cannot handle a horse that someone else cannot?

I am not against him being euthanised, that it better than shoving him in a sale and him going from pillar to post, but, as said, there are people who can and will turn him around.

missieh

Visit site
Ps pardalis (?sp) responded to your earlier post in April and looked as though she would be able to take him, but not for a few months. Wonder if she would be worth contacting as she sounds experienced with this type of horse/problem

noblesteed

Visit site
As he is Spanish have you taken any advice from experts in his breed? because I am sure you already know that they are NOT your regular horse. Certain training methods don't work with them. I have a Spanish x and he has been really hard work to get sorted, been through several instructors too! thankfully he is fine now (probably because he is only 1/2 spanish!!) but they are not easy by any means. Even feeding can be a problem, they are just not bred to live in this country.
There are a few spanish owners on here, Sirena is one, can you pm them?
Was he spanish bred or was he foaled here? As that can affect them hugely.
I would try the BAPSH website, the people on their forum are very helpful. You may find someone on there who would take him on for you. I do know of a lady who keeps lusos not far from me and she took one on that had become too much for his owner.

traceyann

Visit site
Iv owned this horse for a year now and know his history he always boxed at peoples head putting two people at the stud in hospital. My trainer took him for a month and he scraped her head so he came back and iv had other trainers for him but they have got nowhere with him. Hes fear based fright if you smack this horse he explodes. I think hes to far gone and yesturday was the last straw for me. And now hes done this would never rehome him. He was sent from the stud to meat market because of what he had done but there a six month gap where i dont know what happened to him. I bought him of a meat lorry I have spent a fourtune on trying to help him and this is how he repays me. Sad thing this morning bathing his cuts and putting him in his own field good as gold and tried to be really loving. Im going to speak to the vet this morning to see if anything can be done. I dont know if he was scared because i was on the floor because he will attack if scared.

BSJAlove

Visit site
If one minuet hes good as gold and loving and the next minuet hes attacking people it soulds like a tumor to me.

Has he had any medical checks? x-rays ect? TBH if the horse has had help with professionals and this has failed, id ask their advice and come to a mutual decision.

horseaddict

Visit site
From what you have said I think that you are right to be considering euthanasia . It is commendable that you are reluctant to pass the problem on. I wish you all the best.

zippo

Visit site
Your safety is far more important than anything else.You seem to have exhausted any other options.Don't let the"tree huggers"bully you into more dangerous situations.

touchstone

Visit site
I would get a vet check done to see if there is a medical reason for his behaviour, but if nothing shows up I think I would pts. Mental suffering can be as bad as physical suffering, and if he is doing this he doesn't sound a happy horse at all. :(

I'd just like to point out though, that although you rescued him from a meat wagon and have spent a fortune on him, he isn't aware of that and 'repaying' you with bad behaviour; he is simply a horse with issues that is either in pain or has behavioural problems, most likely caused be humans in the first place. He is simply being a horse and reacting accordingly. If that behaviour can't be changed then I agree that it is too risky to keep him.

Tinseltoes

Visit site
I would have a vet to give him the once over to see if there are underlaying problems.Maybe hes got something like a tumour or psychological problems.

JingleTingle

Visit site
It seems that this might be a lesson in not rushing in to 'rescue' horses that are destined for slaughter. Not being harsh here, but how do you know that the horse hadn't been handed over to the meat man because a responsible owner had decided that going to the abattoir was the safest and kindest option for this poor horse?

Feel very sorry for this poor chap, could be anything going on health wise that may even have been known of before he was sent off with the meat man. Is he well bred? If he is then I would say that this would also indicate that he was on that lorry for a very good reason.

I hope whatever decision you make it is the right one for this horse.

touchstone

Visit site
It seems that this might be a lesson in not rushing in to 'rescue' horses that are destined for slaughter. Not being harsh here, but how do you know that the horse hadn't been handed over to the meat man because a responsible owner had decided that going to the abattoir was the safest and kindest option for this poor horse?

Feel very sorry for this poor chap, could be anything going on health wise that may even have been known of before he was sent off with the meat man. Is he well bred? If he is then I would say that this would also indicate that he was on that lorry for a very good reason

Very true and I agree 100%

wildwest

Visit site
you poor thing ive followed your posts and i believe you have done all you can.
and the decision to pts is the best thing to do .
thank god for your cob,
hugs to you xx

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
PLEASE talk to a trainer who is experienced with Spanish horses! I have 2 rescued Spanish horses, both had behavioural problems because their previous owners were not knowledgable with Iberians, both are now 100%. They need experienced handling by people who know the breed.

Natch

Visit site
Iv owned this horse for a year now and know his history he always boxed at peoples head putting two people at the stud in hospital. My trainer took him for a month and he scraped her head so he came back

...I bought him of a meat lorry I have spent a fourtune on trying to help him and this is how he repays me. Sad thing this morning bathing his cuts and putting him in his own field good as gold and tried to be really loving. Im going to speak to the vet this morning to see if anything can be done. I dont know if he was scared because i was on the floor because he will attack if scared.

I hope that everyone who handles him now always wears a hard hat and gloves as a minimum? I would also personally insist on body protector, long sleeves and good stout boots.

I realise that owning him has been expensive and traumatic, but thinking about him as "this is how he repays me for spending lots of money on him" isn't going to do anyone any favours. He won't - can't - think like that as I'm sure you know when you're thinking rationally.

From the little information on here yes he does sound scared. As far as he was probably concerned, scary human needed to be put at a distance (done, but on the floor), scary human now in even more scary position, must defend self from higher perceived threat. None of which really helps you I know but I would at least think twice before PTS because he does sound scared, and not purely aggressive, which I think is the easier of the two to put right.

I was pleased to hear about your cob's actions - yes, I do think they are more than capable of pushing a horse away from another or a human, in order to help a situation. I remember bringing in my horse's buddy from the field, which had a colt in who was being a bit of a terrorist, and chose the moment I caught the willing pony as the moment to try to start a play fight. Things escalated and got a bit risky, and my chap bless him chased the colt and kept him running in circles at a distance around us, until I got the pony out of there. I'm forever grateful to him for that :)

Last edited:

traceyann

Visit site
I dont regret saving him I do regret i cant help him and yes i would do it all over again. I like seeing a bag of bones bloom into a nice looking horse. I have just had a long chat with my vet he going to the vets tonight for full inside and outside check if nothing is found he will be pts hes been though to much in his six years already he dosent deserve to go on anymore with mental or physical pain I will miss riding him as excellent to ride He taught me so much mainly be quicker on my feet.

Cupcakes and Horses

Visit site
How terrifying, thank god for your cob, aren't they amazing?!
My friend had the same issue about 18 months ago and in the end did PTS was very hard as he was healthy but she came to the decision that while he was healthy in body he wasn't in mind and was a danger to her, her daughter, himself and the other horses. She was heartbroken and got a lot of grief from other people but she doesn't regret it and is 100% she did the right thing.

Cadfael&Coffee

Visit site

Feel very sorry for this poor chap, could be anything going on health wise that may even have been known of before he was sent off with the meat man. Is he well bred? If he is then I would say that this would also indicate that he was on that lorry for a very good reason.

I hope whatever decision you make it is the right one for this horse.

^^ exactly this

abina

Visit site
I have PRE's and Lustos - all stallions and know that while they are the most beautiful creatures their handling and early education in europe is not anything like we have here in the Uk and the horses do find it so confusing to change over from the stark, brash manners to our ...well ...cutie cutie soft pet ways.

I would consider to a professional trainer to talk things through to get a clear perspective. if the PTS option is one that after rational talk, is the option you decide on then at least he will end his days in a home with some one who, cares, loves and respects him and his life will end with dignity not being hauled across europe in a meat lorry to some hell hole of a place to die in a scared and lonely state.

You are being totally responsible, and don't let others play mind games with you.

Whatever happens I wish you and your beautiful spanish boy the best with love.

horseaddict

Visit site
You are being totally responsible, and don't let others play mind games with you.

Whatever happens I wish you and your beautiful spanish boy the best with love.[/QUOTE]

Absolutely agree

Hairy Old Cob

Visit site
I would recomend that the horse is PTS it was probably destined for the Meat man for a very good reason and I admire your thinking rather than passing on the problems.

NEVER UNDERESTIMATE A COB COBS RULE

Archiepoo

Visit site
oh traceyann im so sorry for you -what an awful situation to be in. i think your being very brave and realisic in what you know is the right path to take. youve exhausted every safe avenue and im sending you the biggest hugs i can to help you in the days ahead (((((((HUGE HUGS))))))))