Caroline March

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
I haven't been following her story, but she made the choice that was right for her and I can only wish more people had that option - it's why I truly believe with a water tight set of conditions (e.g. a will made in full mental capacity that says what you would and wouldn't want it for) that assisted dying should be legal

I know I'd want it for certain things

ecb89

Visit site
It baffles me that in a supposedly civilised society we have no control being allowed to die in a dignified way.
People always use the example of old ladies being killed for their inheritance. I think Caroline’s brave and emotional statement should be used as proof as to why it is needed.
What a brave soul

BunnyDog

Visit site
So, not quite 24 hours of contemplation and I remain firmly fixed in the category of folks that commend her. Not just accepting her actions, but applauding them. Someone has to rejoice when people say "Screw the world... this is what's best for me."

I know it seems odd, but this ranks, for me, as one of the hardest things a person can do. To ignore the tide and swim their own way, no matter the challenges and criticism.

I may never choose her path but I honor that choice and hope that the afterlife is a place that lives up to her hopes. Everyone should remember that the 'rights' and 'wrongs' of the masses are only one piece of the whole puzzle. And those are never the ONLY choices.

RIP Caroline.

Em

I'm Dun

Visit site
This is something I will do at some point. I am currently reasonably well, but at some point I will lose my sight, end up on dialysis and to add that on top of pain issues and all the rest and its too much. It will mean the loss of my life as I currently know it and I do not want to live the life that will be on offer to me. I will be just as much a prisoner in my own body as she was. People react in absolute horror if I mention it, but to me its a decision I made some time ago and I'm completely at peace with it. I live my life in a way that means I have everything in place ready. If a cure was found I'd be delighted obviously, but if not then it is what it is, sometimes life deals you a crap hand.

I'm desperately sorry she ended up in the place she did, but I really hope this helps change peoples attitudes a little bit. I know most people struggle to understand, but at the end of the day I would rather live one day well and happy than a hundred years as a prisoner.

DressageCob

Visit site
I think her letter was eloquent, beautiful, gritty and overall so positive. She was so careful to make sure people knew she loved herself. That's so important. She didn't do this out of depression or self-loathing (despite having struggled in the past with those problems). She did it for herself.

If I were in her position I'm positive I'd do the same, although I doubt I'd have the ability to write such an honest letter.

What I loved is that she showed us through that letter who she is. I speak to people who have had spinal injuries due to accidents quite often, due to my line of work. So many of them struggle with being treated as a patient, a child, an incompetent, just because they can no longer do everything for themselves. They are still the same fiery, bolshy, brazen, intelligent, ambitious, funny person they were before their accident, but people don't always see that. You see carers putting on baby voices and talking like their client is a toddler. I found this letter quite profound. She was who she was and remained who she was despite the horrors of her accident and the aftermath.

It's so comforting that she was able to die on her own terms, with dignity. I only hope some day others in the same position will be able to do so at home in the UK, in a familiar setting, with friends and family around.

Velcrobum

Visit site
RIP Caroline. Your letter was honest, poignant, brave and you said what you needed to say and I think you were very much at ease with your desicion.

I never met her but I understand where she was coming from.
As an ex health care professional it annoys and upsets me that people still cannot chose in this country when they wish to die when faced with terminal illness, illness that is not terminal but debilitating or extremely painful. I have hoped for many years that assisted dying would be made available to those that wish to do so when it is right for that person. It seems more often than not quality of life comes a distant second to keeping people alive by whatever means.
You can be prosecuted for not euthanaising an animal in incurable pain/ terminally ill yet a person cannot make the choice to have the means to humanely euthanise themselves.

sasquatch

Visit site
Rest in peace Caroline. I can’t help but admire her for how brave she was.

Her letter hit me hard. I lost my uncle on Friday, who had a TBI and lost most of his bodily functions 15 years ago, similar to locked in syndrome. He couldn’t watch the sports he enjoyed on TV anymore, didn’t want to see his dog, couldn’t enjoy hearing about the things he used to do because it was painful that he couldn’t do them anymore. As much as it’s sad to lose someone, it’s also a relief and a kindness that you know they’re no longer suffering, and struggling.

myheartinahoofbeat

Visit site
I've been thinking about her a lot since the announcement on Saturday. So terribly hard for her family and friends, I really feel for them. Her decision despite all their love and best efforts must have been agonising. I can't even begin to imagine the emotions of those involved and those who accompanied her on her final journey. They must take some comfort in the fact that now at last, Caroline is at peace.
I hope her death will raise awareness of assisted suicide and all that it entails. I see that it has been picked up by global press.

Keep kicking on Caroline. You are amazing.

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
My cousin is very involved in the SCI world, being in a wheelchair himself, he does talks at schools and things - he re-posted an article about Caroline's story with her letter attached and commented that he wondered how much interaction she had had with other people with SCI's, and it garnered a lot of comments of a similar ilk from other people in the 'community' saying she was so early on in her SCI 'journey'.

Whilst I fully remain certainly in the supportive camp, and applaud her for the choice she made, I have to admit his post and the comments has meant it's played on my mind ever since. I seem to veer from 'you haven't understood the very soul of her letter and decision' to 'what if..' and then I feel guilty for thinking about it, as it almost feels like thinking 'what if' undermines her decision. The complexity of the assisted suicide argument I suppose.

conniegirl

Visit site
My cousin is very involved in the SCI world, being in a wheelchair himself, he does talks at schools and things - he re-posted an article about Caroline's story with her letter attached and commented that he wondered how much interaction she had had with other people with SCI's, and it garnered a lot of comments of a similar ilk from other people in the 'community' saying she was so early on in her SCI 'journey'.

Whilst I fully remain certainly in the supportive camp, and applaud her for the choice she made, I have to admit his post and the comments has meant it's played on my mind ever since. I seem to veer from 'you haven't understood the very soul of her letter and decision' to 'what if..' and then I feel guilty for thinking about it, as it almost feels like thinking 'what if' undermines her decision. The complexity of the assisted suicide argument I suppose.
With respect, unless your cousin is an elite athlete then it is difficult to understand just how driven people like Caroline are, and just how much their very sanity depends on being able to compete at that level.

Some people adapt very well to life in a wheelchair others know very early and with absolute conviction that it is not for them.

ecb89

Visit site

It was a ‘journey’ she didn’t want to continue and that is all that matters.

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
With respect, unless your cousin is an elite athlete then it is difficult to understand just how driven people like Caroline are, and just how much their very sanity depends on being able to compete at that level.

Some people adapt very well to life in a wheelchair others know very early and with absolute conviction that it is not for them.

Just to give context, my cousin has become an elite level athlete since his SCI, and was an avid motorcyclist/competitor for 15 years before his SCI in the military at a similar age. So not incomparable.

My comment on his post was similar, horses aren't a hobby, they become who you are, but it's still a though provoking situation. I certainly do not have the mental strength to adapt to a life in a wheelchair, and fully support Caroline's decision as I have said, I think it can be hard for people who have adapted well to understand fully the decision, and that is their perogative.

Last edited:

YourValentine

Visit site
And a legal, well designed and supported assisted suicide/dying system in the UK could help with that.

It could make sure that people early in their SCI journey (for example) could talk to others further down the road. To help them explore if they wish to continue and how things might change / how you adapt.
So that decisions to continue or not are 100% informed by others in your situation. Not well meaning but misguided friends/nurses/society etc.

I'm 100% in Caroline's camp, its the same decision I would make, and my family know that. Not everyone will get the quality of life they want in a wheelchair. Massive respect to those who do, but it's a personal choice. Like women's right to abortion, your body, your choice.

Check out and support: dignityindying.org.uk

I'm Dun

Visit site
It was a ‘journey’ she didn’t want to continue and that is all that matters.

And its her choice. Most people will consider others when making this sort of decision, but at the end of the day, its your life and your the one living it. It should be up to you if you want to end it and others shouldn't be applying pressure or guilt tripping people. And of course some, probably most people wont ever really understand it, they don't need to. They just need to accept the choice of the person trapped in their own body. Quality of life applies to people as well as animals, and varies person to person as to what is acceptable and worth carrying on for.

misst

Visit site
I think it takes courage to continue "the journey" but just as much courage (maybe even more) to draw a line and say no more for a SCI. As far as terminal illness or severely debilitating illness goes, again it is down to the individual and the choices available to them. Money, where you live in the country, local facilities all contribute to these decisions - it is not a level playing field.
RIP Caroline I didn't know you but I think you probably died the way you lived - on your own terms. I hope I have the same courage if needed one day.

Esyllt

Visit site
Brave lady. To know it was right for her and for sticking two fingers up at the ones who questioned it. It's your life, and you are living it, no-one can know what it's like to be you, even if the situations are identical. I hope she's at peace now.
I think I would do the same. I'm in a position where it will most likely be a choice I will be faced with, due to a spinal issue. I can already see some things deteriorating, normal bodily functions, and abilities to do what I used to do without second thought. I am a firm believer of we don't choose to enter this life, but we should be able to choose when and how to leave it. We offer this final kindness to our animal friends who are suffering, both physically and in some cases mentally. It's a shame we can't have that gift so freely for our fellow species