"Caution - young horse/ horse in training" hi-vis

Blitzen

Visit site
So I took my youngster for an in-hand hack today. It was windy, a pigeon flew out of the hedge and tried to kill him (so he claims) so he was on his toes. I was bedecked in my hi-vis finery, glowing like an Xmas tree, gloves, riding hat, steel toed boots, the lot. The young man was leading in his bridle, floating on the end of the leadrope like a malevolent balloon, showing off for the bullocks 2 fields over, who were just encouraging him by tearing up and down in their thuggish little gang. He doesn't act like this all the time, for the most part he's sweet and well behaved for a youngster, follows me like a puppy up the road, so I am in more than enough control to venture out in traffic. He just has a moment or 2 when he throws a wobbler or something makes him jump (murderous pigeons, plastic bags, drain covers threatening to open up and swallow him whole etc).
I would like to wear some hi-vis that gives the Muggles a bit more warning to slow down/ keep clear, as he may be 16hh but is only young, and is more likely than other equines to sit on the bonnet of their beloved Range Rover Sport. I have the classic "PLEASE PASS WIDE AND SLOW" but just think they need something of an explaination as to why they should, other than me screaming "SLOW DOWN, HE'S ONLY A BABY!!!" and waving my arms/fist/finger at them when they tear past at 50+mph on a narrow lane.
I am thinking about a "Caution - young horse" or "Horse in training" tabard, but have been told that they can void my insurance because I'm admitting that he isn't safe to take out on the road. Any thoughts on this?
Sometimes I think I should have "BACK OFF YOU IDIOT - DO YOU WANT MY HORSE THROUGH YOUR WINDSCREEN??!" stitched onto my jacket. *sigh*

5horses2dogsandacat

Generally on a hill.. when not blown off the side.
Visit site
I think that if you get said Caution young horse or caution young horse in training you are in fact admitting liability that the horse may react and can make you insurance invalid.

Its a bit of a dark area, but I've heard stories where the horse owner has indeed come out as the one responsible as they have had something written on their tabbard.

If people dont slow down I give them the 'put your seat belt on' sign ;)

xxx

Tost

Visit site
I think that if you get said Caution young horse or caution young horse in training you are in fact admitting liability that the horse may react and can make you insurance invalid.

Its a bit of a dark area, but I've heard stories where the horse owner has indeed come out as the one responsible as they have had something written on their tabbard.

I was told something similar to this. I had a 'Caution! Young horse.' bib and was told to wear it inside out as a lady at my old yard said that if anything was to happen that I could possibly be blamed and I could be questioned as to why I took a youngster on the road.

darkhorse123

Visit site
me and my yard mate were talking about this today - it would be brill if the polite notice people did a sign saying "Horse In Training"
- this is what police use for training their horses and it wouldnt invalidate any insurance

RunToEarth

Visit site

Admitting liability, because IMO if it is windy, he is young and he is on his toes, it isn't a sensible idea to take him anywhere near a public road, where you could injure yourself, the horse or some innocent 3rd party.

Kellys Heroes

Visit site
I regularly wore "Caution - horse in training" on a hi viz tabard - mostly because I couldn't find anything else!!!! :eek:
I was told that should something happen, I was admitting liability - much the same as if you have "Beware of the dog" you are admitting your dog is dangerous - bonkers I know but not worth risking.

Why don't you invest in a POLITE tabard? I've found they work absolute wonders on any horse and work better than anything I've tried before!!
K x

idx

Visit site
HI

I am not sure I agree with the whole admitting liability thing afterall drivers display L plates and P plates. I think there was another thread on here discussing this and someone had asked their insurance company and it was either a grey area or urban myth cant remember which:).

Sometimes going on or crossing roads is unavoidable so what are the options if a horse is not traffic proof?

I have a hi-vis with "L" Young Horse on it. I also try to take someone else with me so they can stop traffic if necessary and explain/thank drivers.

I went for an L plate on the hi vis as this is the language of drivers.

alwaysbroke

Visit site
Have been thinking about this myself as have a newly backed youngster that needs some road work, years ago a lady I knew used to put L plates in an eventing bib and wear this over her high vis I am wondering about doing the same.

starryeyed

Visit site
Bit/very off topic but i just wanted to say that i love how you worded that, had me chuckling - all sounds far too familiar!

me and my yard mate were talking about this today - it would be brill if the polite notice people did a sign saying "Horse In Training"
- this is what police use for training their horses and it wouldnt invalidate any insurance
^ i think this is a really good idea, would be great if they brought out something like that.

i've always been told never to wear "caution young horse" or "nervous horse" tabards as its "admitting your horse is unsafe on roads" - i think thats ridiculous because they've all got to start somewhere, and learner drivers get to wear their L plates!!
I agree that the Polite tabards really work well though, i notice a huge difference when i'm wearing that instead of my pink 'please pass wide & slow', as it really makes drivers look twice - not sure why they think a police horse would be pottering along country lanes though haha
I'd stick with the please pass wide and slow though, over a young/nervous horse one, due to the insurance issues if anything was to happen.

maxapple

Visit site
It would be good if you could get personalised tabbards - we would like one with 'Recovering from Injury - thank you for your patience' aor 'OAP horse' as my horse fractured his leg last year and is now back hacking in walk, but we are taking it really slow and haven't trotted yet. He's 19 in March so his recovery is slow and careful.

I sometimes worry that cars think we are being slow on purpose to get to lay-by's etc so always turn round lots of time to smile and say thankyou as we are making our slow way forward!

Brenjack

Visit site
Admitting liability, because IMO if it is windy, he is young and he is on his toes, it isn't a sensible idea to take him anywhere near a public road, where you could injure yourself, the horse or some innocent 3rd party.

I live in Norfolk where it's permanently windy - if I had to wait for a "still" day - I'd never get my horses out at all.

Blitzen

Visit site
Agreed, Brenjack! We are in Lincs, so he'd be stuck on the yard forever if I waited for a perfectly calm day! He may have been on his toes but I was in complete control. He knows his "move over" buttons and listens to me when I ask. A car passes, we move over or wait in a gateway, then carry on our merry way with little fuss. My 13 year old mare spooks at birds in hedges, but we still dare to brave the roads, lol!
He's fine with the "inncoent 3rd parties" who slow down and give us some room, its the divs who won't slow down that I have a problem with. And its me who has a problem with them, not my boy, he's remarkably calm with people who think they are Jenson Button!
I like the idea of the Polite tabards, I will look into getting one, and I'll ring the Countryside Alliance to talk about how a "Horse in Training" one would affect my insurance cover. x

ecrozier

Visit site
Ive found especially on my big youngster the 'polite' tabard makes a big difference. Coupled with hi viz yellow leg wraps, a high viz yellow breastplate and a hat band on me, oh and yellow exercise sheet when cool enough, we def give the impression of a police horse. Doesn't work quite as well on my little Arab I don't think! But worth a try although not sure would be as effective when leading a horse in hand.

Blitzen

Visit site
I also like the idea of the L plates in an eventing bib, very clever, and I can't see how this could void our insurance as cars/drivers have them

Blitzen

Visit site
Yes ecrozier, it might work when he's backed as he's a big lad, but I doubt it would have much effect when I'm on my 14.3 coloured cob mare, lol!

RunToEarth

Visit site
I live in Norfolk where it's permanently windy - if I had to wait for a "still" day - I'd never get my horses out at all.

I've lived next to the peak district for years, I now live in Lincs, I'm not a stranger to gale force winds, I'm simply saying- common sense with a young horse?
Just because you're decked in Hi Viz, and you have a right to be on the road with a horse, doesn't automatically say it is a sensible place to be.
I also feel that (not aimed at OP, my own experience from home) many small lanes are actually national speed limit, and therefore people who ride on them should expect fast traffic, it always baffles me when I see people swearing and yelling at cars passing them at 40 in a 60. Yes its nice when they slow down, but not everyone will. I don't ever ride on small windy lanes because I don't want to risk being driven into around a corner.

maresmaid

Visit site
I've heard the "invalidating insurance" argument too - I wear the "Polite" tabard and it makes a huge difference over the "Please pass wide and slow" tabard I used to have - It would be interesting to know what the insurance companies say about the "Caution Young Horse" or "Horse in Training" notices - might be worth a phone call!

Charem

Visit site
I also feel that (not aimed at OP, my own experience from home) many small lanes are actually national speed limit, and therefore people who ride on them should expect fast traffic, it always baffles me when I see people swearing and yelling at cars passing them at 40 in a 60. Yes its nice when they slow down, but not everyone will. I don't ever ride on small windy lanes because I don't want to risk being driven into around a corner.

It may be national speed limit but the cars should be driving at a speed that is sutiable for the conditions...ie: if they are driving down a small winding lane they should not be doing 60. If someone was to pass a horse and rider at 60 mph in a driving test they would fail, therefore the drivers SHOULD slow down.

Blitzen

Visit site
Then RunToEarth, the same can be said of anyone with a horse of any age and experience?
As I said, yes he was on his toes, but at no point did I feel out of my comfort zone, or that if anything were to happen I would be out of control. So a rising 3 year old jumps a little at a bird flying out near him, and lifts his head to snort at some young cows nearby, does this mean I'm endangering myself, my boy or other road users? No more than if I'm hacking out my mare who is generally as safe as houses but can spook at things once in a while taking me by surprise.
Maybe my definition of "on his toes" is different to yours?

RunToEarth

Visit site
Yes, I am not saying it is just youngsters, I don't ride any of mine on the roads anymore, there are just too many idiots about.
I'm not criticising you, I just feel that regardless of hi viz, some drivers aren't worth the risk, to me.

Holly Hocks

Visit site
I know that everyone has "heard" of the "Caution young horse" tabards invalidating insurance in the case of an RTC, but has anyone actually got direct experience of this being the case, rather than "a friend of a friend heard etc......". Has anyone actually asked their insurance company directly. Because surely if this was the case, manufacturers wouldn't keep making them with this logo on?

Blitzen

Visit site
I don't have a lot of choice with taking mine on the roads unfortunately. I have a 5 minute trot to get to either our sandschool, or a network of tracks our friendly local farmer let's us use. My reasoning is I'm a confident and experienced enough handler who knows her horse well enough to take him out, to see and learn new things. I figured it was better this way, little and often in hand, than when he is newly backed, and has to face the big wide world in order to reach our arena to have any kind of schooling. It would shock his socks off!

5horses2dogsandacat

Generally on a hill.. when not blown off the side.
Visit site
It would be good if you could get personalised tabbards - we would like one with 'Recovering from Injury - thank you for your patience' aor 'OAP horse'

I had one that said 'Please Pass Slow and Wide' I painted out the Please Pass and just had 'Slow and Wide' perfect for me and my very first very old OAP Chap :D