Championship Proliferation

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Personally i don't have an issue either way, it doesn't matter what I think anyway, people will do what they want :p

I also haven't said people shouldn't be competitive. There is a different between competition and championships isn't there? i.e. winners of competition go through to championships? Like if you win a showing class you are eligible to the champs on the day. and win that you go to HOYS.

it's when the champs get very easy to qualify for - so they are essentially a free entry show (cough Dressage Circle cough) that it starts to become a bit daft. Yes I'd include AFs and associated champs in that and would support increasing the Q requirements.... but then we go back to everyone moaning that they can't qualify or basically replicating regionals.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Maybe it's a definitions thing. To me a championship league is literally just a series of competitions where you either lose a ruck of competitors at each round or there is some kind of cumulative scoring system to rank people. The word 'championship' doesn't to me confer any particular level of competition, it's just a competition scheduling and scoring format. And I can't think of a sport where there isn't tons and tons of championships for just about every level imaginable. I happened to see one of the tennis teams that my mum organises the other day, and the youngest member is 78. Does that make the championship that they are taking part in meaningless? I'm pretty sure that the championship that they are part of offers more value to that group that some of the championships that are filled with hot shots in their early twenties.

The value of sport is in how it enhances the lives of those that participate in it, and how it delivers for the community that those people are part of. Elite athletes of any description are completely and utterly 100% meaningless without a grassroots following.

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
The value of sport is in how it enhances the lives of those that participate in it, and how it delivers for the community that those people are part of. Elite athletes of any description are completely and utterly 100% meaningless without a grassroots following.

Absolutely this!