Chances of a good home ?

milo'n'molly

Visit site
Please dont do it.
Only 3 weeks ago my friend had a spotty she'd advertised as for loan as field companion as he doesnt stay sound in work. Had all the vet options done, had two ops and didnt want toput him through another op/box rest. Loads of people responded and each one was vetted. She chose the most normal person who wanted a companion for a youngster.
Turns out her fella is a Gypsey who sold him to a dealer the very same day as he went. Dealer is now trying to sell her back a lame horse for more money than she has got And is posting pics on facebook of them riding it up and down the road. PLEASE be very careful

reindeerlover

Visit site
Why can't you see how anyone would want him? Lots of people have told you what kind of people would want him. 16.3 isn't that big, 12 isn't that old. If he's pointed then he's obviously hunted and would make a team chaser/hunter/hack for experienced rider. Maybe even (shock horror) a RC allrounder when he's had a bit of schooling.

I think you should advertise him for £1000 to a good home and when you have picked someone nice who is suitable then tell them he's only £10 or something. No reason to PTS, although I'm not against it for some horses. If you're local I'll take him and find him a good home.

MontyandZoom

Visit site
He sounds like most ex-racers that i know!!! I think alot of people would be interested. I would NOT however offer him for free. That is how Monty ended up in 7 homes in 8 years! You get a whole load of numpties who don't know what they are doing (although i got both mine for free :D)

Perhaps advertise as loan with view to buy and then sell him for a nominal amount (ie £1 or a couple of hundred if he has tack etc). Much safer IMO

TS_

Visit site
Where abouts are you, I may know someone who'd be interested. Feel free to PM if you'd rather.

SO1

Visit site
Have you thought about asking one of the race horse charities such as HEROs to help you rehome him.

If he is sound and not dangerous someone will be interested - a friend of mine has an ex racer with quirks that she got via the Blue cross and was happy to pay a donation for him which was over £1.

I would not give him away for free as dealer is likely to come and collect him and sell him on for a big profit to some unsuspecting person - and dealers come in all shapes and sizes often with lots of charm so you might not be able to tell who is genuine or who is dodgy.

12 is not old at all. You could also try advertising him on project horses website if he is very quirky. There is someone on there at the moment who has retrained races horses in the past and looking for a loan with a view to buy in the wanted section.

JenTaz

Visit site
the horse you have described is exactly what my friends horse does, he's the most impatient horse in the world, you have to basically take a run and jump to get on him, he gets over excited jumping and all of that, but he is perfect for what he does, i cant understand why you think 12 is old, or why you just want to give him away as there would be someone who would be happy to buy him, like many people have said he has his quirks and some have also said he is what they are after.

I think maybe you just cant be bothered with horse ownership and think pts or giving him away for free, is easier than finding him the right home that he deserves, after all you bought him so you are the one who is meant to look after him!!!

Just because you don't want the horse, doesnt mean there isnt someone out there who would love him for who he is.

Last edited:

benson21

Visit site
Reading between the lines, and I may be completely wrong, I hear that you have got yourself a horse that you havent bonded with, and maybe am quite scared of.
You are coming across as you dont really care what happens to him, which is such a shame, if you give him away you dont know whats gonna happen to him, could you live with that?
At some time there must of been something you liked about this horse, be kind to yourself and to him, and sell him for an amount that means he would be wanted and not just passed on.

Ally_F

Visit site
He sounds just like my boy! I got my 16h (then) 11 y/o ex pointer.

His old owner was on crutches, he bucked his heart out the minute I sat on him, and the owner was quite obviously terrified of him. Granted he was a handful until he was about 13/14 but now he is so quite and polite.

She didn't tell us a price until after I had ridden him, and informed my father that he was going to buy the horse for me :) .... £500!

He is the best horse I could have every wanted - there is always someone that would be interested - please don't consider PTS if he is healthy and ridable without giving selling a proper chance, no matter what you think of him, someone will love him.

bonny

Visit site
To be honest I'm not sure that I do care very much what happens to him, seriously considering having him pts rather than passed on again. He'll never make a rc horse or a happy hacker and I genuinely can't see what else he could do. Possibly hunt but again alot of horses could do the job better and without the hassles involved with him. Alot of exracehorses don't have a future outside racing and like I said this horse has already been sold and returned and I think his future isn't promising.
How many big, old tb's really end up in a loving forever home ?

reindeerlover

Visit site
To be honest I'm not sure that I do care very much what happens to him, seriously considering having him pts rather than passed on again. He'll never make a rc horse or a happy hacker and I genuinely can't see what else he could do. Possibly hunt but again alot of horses could do the job better and without the hassles involved with him. Alot of exracehorses don't have a future outside racing and like I said this horse has already been sold and returned and I think his future isn't promising.

Oh ok, so you're not really looking for advice then? Well why didn't you just say?

TS_

Visit site

You still don't seem to have really gone into what's wrong with him to make you think that, unless I've missed it? It's big.. so some people are also big/tall and so need a big horse. It's an ex-race horse.. so plenty of people have them. So what's so bad about it that it needs to be put to sleep. If it's difficult how so? And what makes you think it could hunt if it couldn't happily hack? Not sure I'd hunt something I couldn't even take on a hack.

cloudandmatrix

Visit site
poor poor horse. you are going to pts a healthy horse, just because its to much hassle. lots of people would be intersted in a quirky tb to team chase etc. and 12 is not old either!!!!!
please, for his sake, advertise him for £1000, be honest, and he WILL find a loving home, just takes some time, which you dont seem to be willing to give to him :(

MontyandZoom

Visit site

This one!!!!! :mad:

12 is NOT old!!!! Monty was 25 when I got him and was 17hh!!!! He was well loved and cared for until we lost him in February and I would do it again. He was NOT an RC horse (wouldn't load and was too old to jump) He was NOT a happy hacker (very spooky and silly and not for novices).

But I loved him dearly and spent all my money and time giving him a happy home. I really don't understand what your deal is???! There doesn't seem to be anything 'wrong' with this horse.

Sleep tight my Monty boy

SS100224.jpg

Pilib

Visit site
I really can't believe that you'd say you don't care what happens to this horse and that you'd rather put him to sleep than get off your lazy ar*e and find him a home!!!!!!!!!

It is your moral responsibility to make sure that this horse gets a decent crack at having a loving decent home. Your attitude quite frankly disgusts me.

What you've described isn't un-sellable. I have a 16.2 full TB who raced. He is big and strong and came to me as he bolted with his last rider and they were scared of him. I got him when he was 11. I've had him for 7 years now and there are things he does and things he doesn't. He isn't perfect but I love him and wouldn't dream of parting with him.

Please take some time to give this horse a chance, I honestly don't know how you'd live with yourself if you pts because you couldn't be bothered...................

saddlesore

Visit site
With the others here - 12 is not old and 16.3hh isn't big! My last horse was a 16.2/3hh ex racer, that was far too nuts to jump, wouls get really hot in the school and regularly dumped much better riders than me. But we clicked and I loved him to bits. He would have been with me into his old age if degenerative injury hadn't meant he was pts :(:(

However, I suspect you don't actually want advice and are just being deliberately inflammatory :rolleyes:

bonny

Visit site
He's not going to a blood back !
Montyand Zoom, I appreciate some of them end up in loving homes and yours certainly did but they are in a small minority, I have sold tb's before and I know that what people are looking for is something smaller with the potential to make allrounders and for your average Rc type rider this horse would be too much.

MontyandZoom

Visit site
Montyand Zoom, I appreciate some of them end up in loving homes and yours certainly did but they are in a small minority, I have sold tb's before and I know that what people are looking for is something smaller with the potential to make allrounders and for your average Rc type rider this horse would be too much.

That may be true but you owe him the chance to go to a loving home. I am all for doing the responsible thing and have no problem with people putting to sleep healthy animals with serious behavioural issues or horses that are unsound where there is a risk that they may be passed on through dealers to be ridden or be constantly in pain.

HOWEVER, your horse is none of these things. PLEASE at least put up an advert and see what happens.

If you are that desperate, I would even consider thinking of sending him to a REPUTABLE dealer so that they can sell him on.

Please don't end his life when he still has so much more of it to live.

reindeerlover

Visit site

Send him to Ascot sales then, you might get £150 for him after your expenses and you know he'll have gone to someone with experience.

Pilib

Visit site
If you know soooooooooo much why come on here and post about it!!!!!

You appear to have made up your mind that the horse is no good and you don't care what happens to it so why the post??

FlonyPony

Visit site
Have a look through wanted ads - someone might like a loan just because they can't afford to purchase a horse in the first place.

I was given my first pony through a wanted ad as free to a good home, I made myself a good friend, and had a fantastic but quirky pony who saw out the rest of her days being spoilt rotten! They can have happy endings!

Summer Sun

Visit site
It never ceases to amaze me how many heartless 'horse lovers' there are around. You don;t deserve the breath off that horse if you can't even be bothered to find him a decent home. I'd find a new hobby if i were you - joker!!!

Spudlet

Visit site
What a weird post!

16.3 is big but for a tall person such as myself ideal, and while he sounds quirky he doesn't sound like the devil incarnate. It sounds to me more like you have decided to have him pts and want people on here to confirm that decision for you.

If you want to have him pts, he's your horse, but it sounds like that would be a great shame as he hardly sounds unrehomable, unless there is more to this than you are telling.

If you can't muster the will to at least care what happens to him, I strongly suggest that you d not replace him as you sound like a less than ideal owner.

bonny

Visit site
Guess I was weighing up the ethics of putting to sleep a healthy horse opposed to just passing the problem on.......it's a big problem what to do with horses like this and I was interested to know what other people thought. I have been in a similar position in the past and would never have considered pts but now I think that's maybe just sticking your head in the sand and not being realistic.
Ideally someone would just turn up and take the horse away but that doesn't mean his future is assured just means it's someone elses problem.
I meant the question of how many horses like this do you see in happy homes, there are too many horses as it is and certainly he's not the kind of horse that's likely to have a happy ending ......

Spudlet

Visit site
Guess I was weighing up the ethics of putting to sleep a healthy horse opposed to just passing the problem on.......it's a big problem what to do with horses like this and I was interested to know what other people thought. I have been in a similar position in the past and would never have considered pts but now I think that's maybe just sticking your head in the sand and not being realistic.
Ideally someone would just turn up and take the horse away but that doesn't mean his future is assured just means it's someone elses problem.
I meant the question of how many horses like this do you see in happy homes, there are too many horses as it is and certainly he's not the kind of horse that's likely to have a happy ending ......

Some people like quirks, they keep them interested! You should read 'This Horsey Life' by Simon Barnes, the Times columnist - his mare sounds like a little nutcase but he adores her and has had her for years - long after she could no longer be ridden:)

bonny

Visit site
As none of you know me or my horse situation can we keep off the personal comments.
Would be more helpful to have a proper debate about unwanted horses

TS_

Visit site
I have sold tb's before and I know that what people are looking for is something smaller with the potential to make allrounders and for your average Rc type rider this horse would be too much.

I actually think you're wrong, I went to the Brightwells sales at Malvern last week and all of the big TB's made money but all of the little quiet ones that looked like the lovely RC/teen type went for less than £500. So I actually think that it's the slightly bigger ones that are selling at the moment. People I know are looking for bigger ones, rather than small. I would honestly stick him in a horse sales somewhere with no reserve if you care so little about him, i'm sure someone would take him - although only risk with that would be meat man or rubbish dealers - risky could put small reserve on. Don't put a healthy horse to sleep, I know that there are a lot of people out there who prefer something that's a bit of a challenge. Also a lot of people of people really like ex race horses.

Last edited:

reindeerlover

Visit site
I have a "big" 16.3 "old" 12yo ex racer. He is by no means an easy ride but he hacks, schools, competes and is fantastic across country. He has bandy/knobbly legs and several scars. He will be for sale at some point and I will just wait it out until the right person comes along. I can ride him, I can even compete him and I am not a spectacular rider. I will look for someone who wants to do the things he's good at, not some idiot who wants a cheap nag.

I suspect this is more of an advertising post and you want someone from here to come and pick him up? You are coming across as a bit of a tool in my opinion, you say it's "passing the problem on" but where exactly is the problem? He's not too big or too old or too mental so what's the deal?

Spudlet

Visit site
If I were to be looking for a tb, I would ideally need one of 16hh plus, as I am fairly tall. I can ride smaller chunkier horses, but little tbs don't take up my leg.