Cheeky/ridiculous posts you see on Facebook.

scats

Just seen one
"14.1 Blue and white cob.

Inbox for details. No joy riders or day trippers. This is hard enough as it is. Only message if interested"

Well how the heck am I supposed to know if I'm interested as you haven't even told me it's age or sex, let alone anything at all useful about what it's done or it's suitability for any given activity!
I saw that one!

There was one this morning from a teenager looking for a part loan. A big list of requirements followed and then something along the lines of ‘don’t hold any horses for me if you have one suitable as I’m just tying to decide if this is something I want to do as I’m still not sure’...

Hepsibah

I saw one the other day which went along the lines of: 14hh chunky bay pony, price on VIEWING, no timewasters, hoof kickers or pricefinders...

The Fuzzy Furry

Resident irriot
Local one:
No joy riders, time wasters or HAPPY HACKERS

This for a purebred native pony, advertised as a jumper and fun ride pony, so why not hackers who are happy??
However it's also 2 inches overheight so cannot ever do affiliated showing, so ought to be cheaper and in line with other animals of same height. Price has come down a grand since adverts earlier in year, but still not really reflecting what it ought to be worth.
Grr at the happy hackers bit tho!

ester

Not slacking-multitasking
Not horsey but posted on an equine page this morning, my comments in bold

Very old stone planter would be worth a lot more if not broken
But ideal for drainage (large gaps) and transport - ( you can now carry it in 20+ pieces)
£200

Got damaged putting in position
Would have been worth thousand as original hand carved stone hundreds of years ago
Now can be far more easily moved and transported (due to the many pieces)
As when it had soil in
It will look good and drain well (drain very well)
Won’t have problem of craning it in position like we did (phew)
The lorry keeled over as it was on a hill (oops)
Looks great when planted too

It currently looks slightly more like crazy paving. I do hope it gets a nice home!

Last edited:

SpringArising

Not horsey but posted on an equine page this morning, my comments in bold

Very old stone planter would be worth a lot more if not broken
But ideal for drainage (large gaps) and transport - ( you can now carry it in 20+ pieces)
£200

Got damaged putting in position
Would have been worth thousand as original hand carved stone hundreds of years ago
Now can be far more easily moved and transported (due to the many pieces)
As when it had soil in
It will look good and drain well (drain very well)
Won’t have problem of craning it in position like we did (phew)
The lorry keeled over as it was on a hill (oops)
Looks great when planted too

It currently looks slightly more like crazy paving. I do hope it gets a nice home!
Always makes me eye roll when people say "Would be worth more IF..."

Great, but it's not! It's like when people say "We would have come first IF..."

Casey76

Sorry this one isn’t horsey, but certainly got my eyes rolling...

Hello! Does anyone have children in an elementary school in the Alsace that doesn’t use a system of punishment and reward? Please PM me. Thank you!! We have a system of ‘x’ and flowers changing colors. Thanks.

Wishfilly

Sorry this one isn’t horsey, but certainly got my eyes rolling...
Am I reading that right? They want a school where their children aren't told off or rewarded? Surely anyone with half a brain can see why that wouldn't work in a classroom!

Nothing especially ridiculous on my fb atm, just a few things that don't make much sense (to me):

-A pony advertised with a "provisional advert", does that mean she's not necessarily for sale, or they'll change the advert if there's no interest?
-A stallion which "throws always very chancy colours", whatever the hell that means!

Also recently saw someone advertising grazing, one of the selling points was that you could hack to a nearby indoor school in 10 minutes. Well, yes you can if you don't mind hacking along a fairly busy (very busy in summer) national speed limit B road. I know the area very well as I used to work near there, and would never personally hack a horse along that road and I'm 99% sure there wouldn't be an alternative route. It's a fairly horsey area and I have never seen anyone hack along that road (cross it, yes, but not hack along it). The thing is, if you drove to view the grazing you'd realize it's not really a road you can take a horse along- so why even bother putting it in the advert?

Theocat

Options advice please I rescued n bought a little pony got told he was 5 turns out he's 12 he's had nothing at all done with him I do not know any history he wasn't microchipped etc he's a nervous pony was full of lice etc my intentions were to try get him broken n become a child's pony for my daughter but shes only 3 however I'm thinking cos of his nerves and lack of trust is this possible 🤔 he's had his teeth feet injections microchip passport papers done injections done treat for his lice etc the full works cost a few hundred but cudnt let him stay in the state he was he's due his booster in 2 weeks however I do not have a jockey experienced enough nor small enough to try back him etc do I loan him out sell him etc I'm on a livery yard and also have a retired horse so costs are not cheap if had own field etc wud keep him as a companion but just trying to think what's going to be best but I'm so frightened of where he will end up I'd love to see him be backed etc n loving life just not sure what to do 😔😔 xx
So ... NOT "rescued", just someone taking a chance on picking up a cheap pony. It's cost a few hundred in care and now it can't do a job and she can't cope or give it time, she wants rid. No doubt one of the Facebook numpties will oblige, poor little beggar :(

xDundryx

This one really got my back up... Person from my old yard advertising their 6yo pony for share/loan. Ok so not only does this owner have no clue about horse ownership (her 2 'pets' haven't seen a farrier since September, not wormed or vaccinated) this pony was bought as a foal and kept in the back garden up until 18months ago and treated like a dog and has no boundaries or respect for people or other horses, tramples his owner and barges his way to the field, kicks out, charges at other geldings walking past, runs through any fencing etc. (he's about 14hh Welsh x gelded late). Its never been broken, another clueless idiot at the yard thinks he's a horse trainer and attempted to break the pony in last year however after tangling him up in long reins gave up on that idea and tried to get on him with no build up. poor little sod went vertical and over backwards. since then won't let anyone so much as get a foot in a stirrup or lean over saddle. Anyway I digress... advert says pony 'hasn't done much however happy for him to jump and go to shows..' No mention of the fact he isn't bloody broken. OH made me sit on my hands and Keep out of it as I've had a bit of grief from some of them and messages sent to him and my sharer (all complete nutters!) argh. stupid woman will get someone killed!!

sasquatch

Nothing especially ridiculous on my fb atm, just a few things that don't make much sense (to me):

-A pony advertised with a "provisional advert", does that mean she's not necessarily for sale, or they'll change the advert if there's no interest?
-A stallion which "throws always very chancy colours", whatever the hell that means!
I did a provisional advert when I was trying to loan B out, but I made it very clear he wouldn't be available for a full loan (to move yards etc.) until summer and as B was a bit of a hard sell and I wanted to make sure the home he went too was the right place, I knew I'd be better putting something up early lol especially as I never got a lot of interest in B when he was up for part loan and it had taken word of mouth and a few months to find someone.

only_me

Wanted - a loan horse during summer up to 3 days a week. As local to me as possible. 14-16h. Able to jump 90cm as rider is experienced with horses. Must be good to groom and tack up.

If this rider was as experienced as she says then surely she wouldn’t need a horse to be good to groom...
and it’s a share/part loan if only 1-3 days a week, which also sounds a bit like she just wants to ride someone else’s horse for free instead of paying for lessons at her Riding school...
She says she’s experienced but the videos of her Riding would very much suggest otherwise!

abbijay

I got this one via messenger at the weekend...
"looking for a part loan 2 days a week with one weekend day. 14.2 upwards all rounder that I can take to camp in August as already booked and horseless."
I used to have sharers but I wouldn't have let any of them take my horse for a weekend away after just 2 months of sharing him. and it does sound like once camp is over they might just move on.

HeresHoping

I am tentatively (very) looking for a new horse so have been keeping a beady eye on the ads. It's obviously silly season as everyone seems to have cheekily put their prices up a good couple of thousand and everywhere I look I am seeing horses that have done nothing, or have potential, or are 9+ with 'scope to go further' for £5k plus. At least three that I have seen have gained £2k in the last three months with nothing on their records.

only_me

I am tentatively (very) looking for a new horse so have been keeping a beady eye on the ads. It's obviously silly season as everyone seems to have cheekily put their prices up a good couple of thousand and everywhere I look I am seeing horses that have done nothing, or have potential, or are 9+ with 'scope to go further' for £5k plus. At least three that I have seen have gained £2k in the last three months with nothing on their records.
There’s a nice 6 year old 15h horse for sale atm for 2k on NI page. I’d be tempted to buy for a summer project, is nicely made and sound. Do you want the link? Could be a good worker or if has potential to measure could be worth more!

HeresHoping

There’s a nice 6 year old 15h horse for sale atm for 2k on NI page. I’d be tempted to buy for a summer project, is nicely made and sound. Do you want the link? Could be a good worker or if has potential to measure could be worth more!
That's very kind, but too small, I am afraid. I am looking for something 16 - 16.2 to share with my son - he's 6'1 (and just 14). I'm looking for something with a bit of bone, too (not full cob, probably ID x). Won't be in a position to buy, though, for another month or so (I said it was tentative), as our house sale needs to complete.

Wishfilly

Just seen quite an upsetting on on some groups local to me-

18yo pony who "needs her back looked at" for sale as the owners can't look after her anymore.

I understand that people have their circumstances change and things happen, but I honestly can't imagine putting a pony of that age up for sale, with a potentially serious problem, without at least getting a vet in first.

OrangeAndLemon

Just seen one...my mare has lots of sarcoids. She was treated with Liverpool cream last time and she didn't like it. Now she has developed more sarcoids and warts in different places. My question is, as she has really good bloodlines I'd like to breed from her. Can a foal catch the sarcoids and can you recommend anywhere for cheap AI. I'm treating the new sarcoids with Thuja cream.

One of the replies suggested turmeric because the owner was seeing huge improvements by treating his gelding with it.

*sigh*

Ambers Echo

This type of ad is not exactly cheeky or ridiculous but i don't get them.... I may be missing something!

"Horse MUST GO due to (insert: need his stabe, new horse arriving, changed circumstances etc). Priced to sell quickly. Available at £xxxxx if goes by the weekend."

What are they going to do with him after the weekend? Put his price back up??

Not the same as price will increase with increased training or things like that.

Perhaps they have a plan B (turn the horse away if doesn't sell ot whatever. But usually the same ad reappears a week or 2 later with an even lower FINAL OFFER or SALE ENDS SOON type price. Horses aren't sofas!!

jumbyjack

I love this thread, the cheek of some people is astounding. Re the chancy colours comment, it's a traveller term for good or unusual colours.

MuffettMischief

Saw one yesterday and was totally gobsmacked. Owner going travelling for 2 months and wants someone to full loan her 2 horses for 2 months. Must be experienced, do this and that and pay for it all!

Rosiejazzandpia

Seen one the past few weeks all over the local Facebook groups:
"4 year old tb needs to go due to loss of interest" with the same woman posting in all the groups "project horse wanted".

Chuffy99

On local fab page Wanted 2 shetlands, must only be 2 mares or mare and gelding or two geldings, doesn’t that equate to two anything’s. OK could be stallions I guess

sallyg

Recent sighting on a local group
Saddle for sale, price at the top of the Facebook advert £450, a few details then lower down in the advert "would accept £425"
Erm.. well no one's going t offer you £450 now for it so what was the point in putting that at the top of the advert?!