Cheeky/ridiculous posts you see on Facebook.

Caol Ila

Visit site
Saw one today. 10 year old PRE mare being sold as unridable -- treated for hind gut ulcers and suspensory problems, "doesn't enjoy schooling," (whatever that means) and apparently nappy and difficult on hacks. They're asking for low four figures as a broodmare. Oy.

FlyingCircus

Visit site
Saw one today. 10 year old PRE mare being sold as unridable -- treated for hind gut ulcers and suspensory problems, "doesn't enjoy schooling," (whatever that means) and apparently nappy and difficult on hacks. They're asking for low four figures as a broodmare. Oy.
Pretty sure she is sold. Is she the slightly dappled grey who was with a dressage rider? Think I saw her preloved ad where she was asking 1.5k or similarly low price.

shortstuff99

Currently Cambridgeshire! (or where ever I fancy)!
Visit site
I have seen that one, the issue really is she is not APTO approved for breeding, if she was she may have sold for that. You can't use an ungraded PRE mare for embryo transfer either.

marmalade76

Visit site
Oh he's lovely! Completely unlike those bizarre spindly things that seem to get so much publicity. He is beautiful and so useful looking.

Cheers. I'm no expert on them but I know his dad is Egyptian which is the sort best for endurance, so I'm told. He's definitely handy, he jumps and I've hunted him a couple of times. He fancies himself as a show horse, he loves showing off.

marmalade76

Visit site
Saw this on a horsey Facebook group this morning - "Wanted Rider for big horses must be capable with plenty of experience. No contribution needed At least 5 morning or evening a week, my last rider is pregnant, I'm looking for someone to start beginning of july, I'm based in ... please PM me for more info".

Now that sounds like a JOB to me, something you should be paying someone to do, something I have been paid to do myself, not something you could suggest anyone would be lucky not to have to make a contribution for.

kc921

Visit site
Saw this on a horsey Facebook group this morning - "Wanted Rider for big horses must be capable with plenty of experience. No contribution needed At least 5 morning or evening a week, my last rider is pregnant, I'm looking for someone to start beginning of july, I'm based in forest of dean please PM me for more info".

Now that sounds like a JOB to me, something you should be paying someone to do, something I have been paid to do myself, not something you could suggest anyone would be lucky not to have to make a contribution for.
I have seen something similar on Facebook but with financial contribution, some people can be so cheeky!!

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Saw this on a horsey Facebook group this morning - "Wanted Rider for big horses must be capable with plenty of experience. No contribution needed At least 5 morning or evening a week, my last rider is pregnant, I'm looking for someone to start beginning of july, I'm based in ... please PM me for more info".

I answered a similar one on one of my local horse groups with;
"How much an hour are you paying and does this include my transport time and petrol? "
It got a lot of likes and laughs from the serious riding fraternity, an outraged response from the person who posted.
Advert got removed soon after ..... ?

marmalade76

Visit site
I answered a similar one on one of my local horse groups with;
"How much an hour are you paying and does this include my transport time and petrol? "
It got a lot of likes and laughs from the serious riding fraternity, an outraged response from the person who posted.
Advert got removed soon after ..... ?

Good one! ?? I was tempted to say something similar.

abbijay

Visit site
“Available for part loan. £40 trial day. 1day/wk £40, 2days £75, 3days £110. Fixed days every week. Includes all shoes, feed, dental etc. Must be paid for every 4weeks in advance, no refunds if cancelling part way through. We are not a riding school so you must have your own insurance, and insurance for the horse if you want to go on the road. If the horse becomes injured you are liable to pay vet fees.”
This is not the only horse she “loans out”.
If I posted my thoughts about this I’m getting a ban for bad language!

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site
“Available for part loan. £40 trial day. 1day/wk £40, 2days £75, 3days £110. Fixed days every week. Includes all shoes, feed, dental etc. Must be paid for every 4weeks in advance, no refunds if cancelling part way through. We are not a riding school so you must have your own insurance, and insurance for the horse if you want to go on the road. If the horse becomes injured you are liable to pay vet fees.”

Not sure I read that correctly, you're expected to pay already the first day you're coming to try the horse?

abbijay

Visit site
Not sure I read that correctly, you're expected to pay already the first day you're coming to try the horse?
Yes!
They run "loaner" riding sessions too for £20/hr. I honestly can't see how this is anything other than a riding school operation just with a different name and no insurance. It really annoys me as proper riding schools have to pay a fortune in insurance and are subject to so many checks but people think they can just dodge the rules to make a fast buck.
£40 a day? £280 a week? What's the horse shod with, platinum?
It is a heavy horse so shoes aren't cheap but this is not about contributing, it is obviously a money making exercise.
If I were a different person I would definitely be reporting them to the council (and probably the tax man too)

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site

Report them to the local council - that's a riding school trying to avoid tax, insurance, public liability and horse welfare checks.

Widgeon

Visit site
If that was how everyone thought people would get away with doing exactly what they liked. Can you send me details so I can report them? This is not ok. Its not just a bit cheeky, its hugely illegal.

I think I'd be inclined to agree. Besides, if you reported them to the council then presumably the council will check up on it, and if they deem it to be within the law then they'd be okay to continue. Seems very unfair on the many struggling riding schools who do pay their insurance, tax, liability etc.