Cheeky/ridiculous posts you see on Facebook.

shortstuff99

Currently Cambridgeshire! (or where ever I fancy)!
Visit site
Today's one, cheeky or not (I say cheeky).

Anyone looking for a loan of a 15.2hh 5 year old sports horse. Very sensible chap. He is not sound currently, but due to a change in personal circumstances I need to find him a home. He will need box rest for a few more weeks, and bute due a bout of laminitis. Therefore he would be suited to someone with time, a stable and knowledge of laminitis. Such a sweet horse.

IrishMilo

Visit site
Today's one, cheeky or not (I say cheeky).

Anyone looking for a loan of a 15.2hh 5 year old sports horse. Very sensible chap. He is not sound currently, but due to a change in personal circumstances I need to find him a home. He will need box rest for a few more weeks, and bute due a bout of laminitis. Therefore he would be suited to someone with time, a stable and knowledge of laminitis. Such a sweet horse.

Sweet son of a...!

Casey76

Visit site
*** for loan. Sadly she’s lame and needs a year or two rest. Lovely girl, gets on with everyone in the field, full wardrobe to go with her. Likes to come in in the winter but can live out. Pm me!!

so basically you’re looking for someone else to fund the convalescence of your horse, then have her back when she’s ‘useable’ again ??‍♀️

Tinsel

Visit site
Oh and on FB this girl keeps pestering me who goes to the RS two villages away from where I keep my horses. I had just bought another horse at the time so she says
"Hi, I see you have got a new horse. Can I hack him out or have your other one to ride?"

But it didn't stop there! she carried on :/
"Can I take one of your horses to pony camp this weekend?"
"I am a very good rider, Can I hack your horse out tomorrow"
"Can I have your horse on full loan?"
"My friend wants to go cross country, can I take your horse and go with her?"

These are just some off the top of my head,
(and just to add, she really can't ride very well and certainly not on a horse that isn't a dead to the leg RS plod! my horses are safe, but she'd get killed on them as she wouldn't know how what to do)

I have been very polite to her... she's younger than me but not by much! So I am careful with what I say, however if she asks again she may notice that my answers are getting less tolerant. Luckily she seems to have shut up now
Jeez that would definitely drive you up the wall just as well you got rid she probably gone to anony some other people

chaps89

Visit site
Saw one earlier, lady having to sell up due to losing her land.
2 year old colt, deaf due to having the albino gene (or something along those lines) has covered 2 mares already, good addition to a stud.

Now I’ll admit I know nothing about deafness in horses and not much more about breeding but that didn’t feel like very well thought out breeding practice personally ?

I'm Dun

Visit site
2 year old colt, deaf due to having the albino gene (or something along those lines) has covered 2 mares already, good addition to a stud.

Now I’ll admit I know nothing about deafness in horses and not much more about breeding but that didn’t feel like very well thought out breeding practice personally ?

hes deaf as he has white pigment in his ears

info here

I dont know enough about it to comment, but I will say she is incredibly responsible in all other aspects. Shes the only cob breeder I've ever known who tests for PSSM for example

teddypops

Visit site
Oh and on FB this girl keeps pestering me who goes to the RS two villages away from where I keep my horses. I had just bought another horse at the time so she says
"Hi, I see you have got a new horse. Can I hack him out or have your other one to ride?"

But it didn't stop there! she carried on :/
"Can I take one of your horses to pony camp this weekend?"
"I am a very good rider, Can I hack your horse out tomorrow"
"Can I have your horse on full loan?"
"My friend wants to go cross country, can I take your horse and go with her?"

These are just some off the top of my head,
(and just to add, she really can't ride very well and certainly not on a horse that isn't a dead to the leg RS plod! my horses are safe, but she'd get killed on them as she wouldn't know how what to do)

I have been very polite to her... she's younger than me but not by much! So I am careful with what I say, however if she asks again she may notice that my answers are getting less tolerant. Luckily she seems to have shut up now
My neighbours kids used to constantly harass me about riding my ponies when I was young and more recently, people who lived by one of my fields just couldn’t understand why their daughters shouldn’t hack my ponies out as I couldn’t ride them all at once!

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site

All horses carrying splashed white have the potential to be deaf if there are no melanocytes in the inner ear. If the splashed white genesis passed on the offspring could potentially be deaf but I wouldn't think it was much more likely than any other splashed white animal as most of them Can hear and it just depends how the pattern is expressed on a particular horse.

Reactions: JJS

Vodkagirly

Visit site
Looking for someone who would like the opportunity to do daily chores on a livery yard e.g mucking out, filling haynets, grooming, putting out and bringing in this will not be paid work but can be repayed by giving the rite person a lot of experience with horses and knowledge

I'd love a free slave!
To be fair, I would of probably jumped at this as a teenager without a horse

IrishMilo

Visit site
Looking for someone who would like the opportunity to do daily chores on a livery yard e.g mucking out, filling haynets, grooming, putting out and bringing in this will not be paid work but can be repayed by giving the rite person a lot of experience with horses and knowledge

I'd love a free slave!

Brilliant! How do these people not feel embarrassed posting things like that?

Antw23uk

Visit site

I'd love a free slave!

Thats how i grew up, spending every weekend, school holiday and spare minute at a local riding school volunteering for the very rare free ride. LOVED it and learnt a massive amount. I'd not see this as cheeky but a great opportunity for a horsey mad kid :)

Annagain

Visit site
Brilliant! How do these people not feel embarrassed posting things like that?

The sense of entitlement out there is incredible. I'm on a local re-use page. The intention of it is for people to offer stuff they don't want any more to others who may be in a difficult situation or who simply want to do their bit for the environment by not buying new if they can re-use something. This has soon spiralled into people posting on there asking for really specific things. One person recently asked for a specific brand and colour of pushchair and got really sniffy with people offering anything other than the exact thing she was asking for. Someone else was asking for a TV saying it wasn't for them but for someone they knew who was in need and then turning down three TVs as they weren't big enough! The latest craze is birthday balloons. A couple of people have offered them after parties etc which is great and exactly the sort of thing the group was set up to do but this has led to others asking for balloons in specific colours, for specific numbers or even one person asking for a name! They're not phrased in a way that makes you think they know it's a long shot but hoping they get lucky but more that they expect someone to buy them for them! The admin recently posted to say people were asking for things, being offered them and then weren't turning up to collect them and she would block people who get reported for it three times.

Sossigpoker

Visit site
Saw one yesterday that made me really quite upset.
A video of a horse being lunged and he's hopping lame all over. Poster claims this is an improvement and has been treating for abscess. I'm no fortune teller but there was a lot more going on there.
Post was deleted once people started saying the horse needs to see the vet urgently.
I know there are thousands of horses in this situation and worse - in pain whilst their feckwit owners seek a - free- Facebook diagnosis.
Don't get a horse if you're not prepared to pay for a vet !

chaps89

Visit site
Not on FB but seen this gem on preloved today

meet ‘xxx’, she turns 1 on September 21st 2021 and has been with me since she was 6 months old just weaned off her mum - she is up for loan as companion for 2 years until she is old enough to be backed or sale.

if you did want to loan then we can arrange it all but she would need to be able to come back when she is 3.

currently standing around 12.2 but will make 14 hands and is the sweetest girl around, used to living on her own with horses over a gate, had the farrier and picks up her feet to be picked out daily. taught her about headcollars, leading, rugging, no longer headshy and loves a fuss she really will be the best horse when grown up now she has been taught manners!

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Not on FB but seen this gem on preloved today

meet ‘xxx’, she turns 1 on September 21st 2021 and has been with me since she was 6 months old just weaned off her mum - she is up for loan as companion for 2 years until she is old enough to be backed or sale.

if you did want to loan then we can arrange it all but she would need to be able to come back when she is 3.

currently standing around 12.2 but will make 14 hands and is the sweetest girl around, used to living on her own with horses over a gate, had the farrier and picks up her feet to be picked out daily. taught her about headcollars, leading, rugging, no longer headshy and loves a fuss she really will be the best horse when grown up now she has been taught manners!

So basically,
'I've purchased a pony 6 months ago, would like someone else to fund her for a couple of years and do all the labour too because I cant be bothered/afford it' type of advert ??

Cloball

Visit site
So basically,
'I've purchased a pony 6 months ago, would like someone else to fund her for a couple of years and do all the labour too because I cant be bothered/afford it' type of advert ??
I've also kept a weanling alone for 6 months ... and winter is coming/I've gone back to school or college.

Caol Ila

Visit site
OH and I got to talking about what Highland ponies might cost in the US. I have no idea, so I went on Dreamhorse.com and found one Highland for sale, and a contender for the world's worst advert.

The text is clearly copy/pasted from some website describing Highland ponies, but it does not say anything about this particular horse. However, on the temperament scale where 1 = mostly dead and 10 = batsh1t crazy, they were honest enough to give it a 9.

https://www.dreamhorse.com/show_horse.php?horse_id=2199779

shortstuff99

Visit site
OH and I got to talking about what Highland ponies might cost in the US. I have no idea, so I went on Dreamhorse.com and found one Highland for sale, and a contender for the world's worst advert.

The text is clearly copy/pasted from some website describing Highland ponies, but it does not say anything about this particular horse. However, on the temperament scale where 1 = mostly dead and 10 = batsh1t crazy, they were honest enough to give it a 9.

https://www.dreamhorse.com/show_horse.php?horse_id=2199779
I'm not sure if they got the scale right though as I looked up their facebook page and the pony is being ridden on trail rides by 5 year olds. ?

shortstuff99

Visit site
He's registered with HPS and mine is not, so he's definitely winning that one.

I then looked up Gypsy cobs in the US and found some being sold for $50,000 to $100,000. Anyone want to go into the import/export business with me?
I have always said this! I could make a fortune selling cobs to the USA!

Apizz2019

Visit site
I cringe at posts like this...

My son/daughter has been having riding lessons for 6 months and we're ready to buy our own.
Riding lessons are so expensive.
Must be bombproof, no older than 12, done everything, with tack etc. No more than 2k because we have limited funds.

I always say, the purchase price is negligible. The upkeep and unexpected bills is where the true cost comes in.

And its a lifestyle choice.

On a side note, in my opinion, many yards take on wholly unsuitable liveries, those that have zero knowledge at all, encouraging ownership when in fact these owners should not have a horse or pony as they're not ready.

Everyone starts somewhere but I've seen borderline neglect where a vet hasn't been called when needed or the standard of care is poor, yet the yard owner hasn't stepped in because as long as the livery bill is paid it's okay.

Makes me shudder.