Cheeky/ridiculous posts you see on Facebook.

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
If that was how everyone thought people would get away with doing exactly what they liked. Can you send me details so I can report them? This is not ok. Its not just a bit cheeky, its hugely illegal.

It's also really stupid - all it takes is one child with a bad fall, and the 'proprietor's liability could mean they lose EVERYTHING.

Save them from themselves, and report them - or give us the details and we will.

abbijay

Visit site
At any rate, seems to be a similar kind of loan to have a lessons unregistered riding school set up. Although i'm only judging based on website content!
I'm not disagreeing. Just Michelle Walker is fairly close to me and I don't want there to be any assumption that I'm commenting on her yard. Interestingly in my area I believe there are a number of these "loan arrangement private yards" but few of them advertise so publicly.

spookypony

Visit site
“Available for part loan. £40 trial day. 1day/wk £40, 2days £75, 3days £110. Fixed days every week. Includes all shoes, feed, dental etc. Must be paid for every 4weeks in advance, no refunds if cancelling part way through. We are not a riding school so you must have your own insurance, and insurance for the horse if you want to go on the road. If the horse becomes injured you are liable to pay vet fees.”
This is not the only horse she “loans out”.
If I posted my thoughts about this I’m getting a ban for bad language!
Sooo.....waaaaait...she wants you to pay more than her livery and maintenance is likely to be, for really limited access to the horse? That doesn't sound like part loan to me...more like a 19th-century horse hire....

Rosemary28

Visit site
I'm not disagreeing. Just Michelle Walker is fairly close to me and I don't want there to be any assumption that I'm commenting on her yard. Interestingly in my area I believe there are a number of these "loan arrangement private yards" but few of them advertise so publicly.

We must be fairly close to each other, she's not that far from me either. Although, I doubt we'd ever actually come across each other, she and I move in very different horsey circles :D

abbijay

Visit site
We must be fairly close to each other, she's not that far from me either. Although, I doubt we'd ever actually come across each other, she and I move in very different horsey circles :D
Well your pony looks like one I know but if you are her I would have expected you to recognise my horse, so you mustn't be.
I'm on livery at smallwood and on the committee of South Cheshire RC (we're always looking for new members to join our fun if you're local).

Hanno Verian

Visit site
Sooo.....waaaaait...she wants you to pay more than her livery and maintenance is likely to be, for really limited access to the horse? That doesn't sound like part loan to me...more like a 19th-century horse hire....

I'm not sure I agree, I own my own horse, he is on Full Livery including schooling/exercise by the professional rider who runs the yard. I have a sharer who pays me a fixed amount per month that reflects her riding a set number of days a week. I cover vet, insurance, dentist, shooeing etc. The difference between the ad and mine is that my boy is covered by my insurance regardless of who rides him. This is a win-win-win for me it cuts my costs by both reducing the number of times I pay to have my horse schooled or exercised, my sharer get access to a really well mannered and schooled horse without the expense or committment of having her own, the professional rider is freed up to do other things and earns from teaching my sharer. The costs arent hugely different to my arrangement with my sharer.

Granted the way its phrased comes across as very money grubbing and I fundamentaly disagree with the insurance question, that sound to me as if the horse is completely uninsured, the £40 trial day bit would have me running, but this could be simply a way of sharing, unless of course there is a large number of horses in effect rented by the day but without the insurances and its being run as a business?

spookypony

Visit site
Granted the way its phrased comes across as very money grubbing and I fundamentaly disagree with the insurance question, that sound to me as if the horse is completely uninsured, the £40 trial day bit would have me running, but this could be simply a way of sharing, unless of course there is a large number of horses in effect rented by the day but without the insurances and its being run as a business?

Yes, I agree that a share or part-loan (sounds more like a share to me, from the ad) with a monthly payment is often a really good way to go! Like you, I find the payment for trying the horse and the insurance thing rather dodgy, though, and I think the amount sounds really big, unless the horse is on full livery and insured to the eyeballs!

It's a funny line, isn't it: a sharer pays to ride, and a pro is paid to ride. The important thing is that everyone is completely clear on what is wanted by all parties out of an agreement. So many of the examples in this thread seem to be people with green or dodgy horses looking to get an amateur who is desperate for a ride to do the careful, tricky work for them, that should be done by someone with professional-level experience and knowledge. That's fine, if the amateur has that experience and actually likes to bring on youngsters or work with problem horses while paying for the priviledge, but it seems to me that these ads are more likely to attract attention of teens that might be overestimating their abilities (not unheard-of!), or adult novices. And that's not cool.

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
Yes, I agree that a share or part-loan (sounds more like a share to me, from the ad) with a monthly payment is often a really good way to go! Like you, I find the payment for trying the horse and the insurance thing rather dodgy, though, and I think the amount sounds really big, unless the horse is on full livery and insured to the eyeballs!

It's a funny line, isn't it: a sharer pays to ride, and a pro is paid to ride. The important thing is that everyone is completely clear on what is wanted by all parties out of an agreement. So many of the examples in this thread seem to be people with green or dodgy horses looking to get an amateur who is desperate for a ride to do the careful, tricky work for them, that should be done by someone with professional-level experience and knowledge. That's fine, if the amateur has that experience and actually likes to bring on youngsters or work with problem horses while paying for the priviledge, but it seems to me that these ads are more likely to attract attention of teens that might be overestimating their abilities (not unheard-of!), or adult novices. And that's not cool.

I saw one years ago which made me howl with laughter - someone wanting to put their unbroken 4yo on loan to someone for 3 years while they were at university. With the full expectation that the horse would be broken in and out competing by the time they were ready to take it back. Absolutely flipping hilarious!

Hanno Verian

Visit site
I saw one years ago which made me howl with laughter - someone wanting to put their unbroken 4yo on loan to someone for 3 years while they were at university. With the full expectation that the horse would be broken in and out competing by the time they were ready to take it back. Absolutely flipping hilarious!
The sad thing is that some owners would think that that is entirely reasonable and completely be unable to understand someones reluctance to take them up on their kind offer

Snowfilly

Visit site

At the right time of life, I would have jumped on that like a shot. Breaking, schooling and doing all the firsts is a lot of fun and aside from my heart horse, I used to enjoy that more than riding established horses in general. There’s something special about getting a wobbly baby transformed into a horse who can ping around his first British Novice track. Sadly, buying endless numbers of young horses to play with isn’t viable and you can’t recoup the costs of just one, so a ‘free’ one would have been ideal.

If you had a broken in 5 year old on a 3 year loan, you’d want it to progress up the levels and develop, so it’s only a different kind of schooling.

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
At the right time of life, I would have jumped on that like a shot. Breaking, schooling and doing all the firsts is a lot of fun and aside from my heart horse, I used to enjoy that more than riding established horses in general. There’s something special about getting a wobbly baby transformed into a horse who can ping around his first British Novice track. Sadly, buying endless numbers of young horses to play with isn’t viable and you can’t recoup the costs of just one, so a ‘free’ one would have been ideal.

If you had a broken in 5 year old on a 3 year loan, you’d want it to progress up the levels and develop, so it’s only a different kind of schooling.

Absolutely not. Can you imagine doing all that, only to hand it back to owner never to see it again?

If you can do a good job of backing and breaking a young horse, you should be getting paid to do it - or at least, having the basic costs of that horse's keep being covered.

But then, the even worse scenario you see time and time again - horse on loan for a year or two, loaner puts huge amount of work into the horse to turn it around into a useful horse, then owner decides to sell and offers 'first dibs' to the loaner, at an asking price which reflects all of the hard work that *they* have put into the horse! Effectively double charging them for their work, given they they've funded the horse's existence for the last however-many years :rolleyes:

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
Absolutely not. Can you imagine doing all that, only to hand it back to owner never to see it again?

If you can do a good job of backing and breaking a young horse, you should be getting paid to do it - or at least, having the basic costs of that horse's keep being covered.

But then, the even worse scenario you see time and time again - horse on loan for a year or two, loaner puts huge amount of work into the horse to turn it around into a useful horse, then owner decides to sell and offers 'first dibs' to the loaner, at an asking price which reflects all of the hard work that *they* have put into the horse! Effectively double charging them for their work, given they they've funded the horse's existence for the last however-many years :rolleyes:

Quoting myself here - weird - but i think that's why loans should be based around an expectation that the horse is either staying at the same level, or possibly working at a lower level for the loan. Eg. riding club horse continues to do riding club work. Experience eventing schoolmaster drops down a few levels to help a more novice-y competitor. Happy hacker continues happy hacking.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
. Can you imagine doing all that, -(first 3 years training)- only to hand it back to owner never to see it again?

Yes, I can. Like Snowfilly, that's the bit I like best and get most fun out of, and to be able to do that without risking my own capital would have been a bonus when I was younger.

Roxylola

Visit site
I think it depends on your set up. I quite enjoy the low level playing. I hate the idea of having time frames dictated etc so I wouldn't want to be paid. However, as someone whod have to be paying livery to keep anything I wouldn't be prepared to pay to keep to back and bring on. If I had my own place maybe. I've no objection to paying for lessons or competition costs, or even running costs that are a result of me riding eg feed or shoeing though

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
My mare's loan to a competitive home didn't work out, but we pre agreed at the start what her value was when they took on as a green 5yo with a clear XC in her first BE80.

Had I later sold to them the price would have been the pre agreed one, and if I had sold elewhere the loan home would have kept the difference if she sold for more.

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
Yes, I can. Like Snowfilly, that's the bit I like best and get most fun out of, and to be able to do that without risking my own capital would have been a bonus when I was younger.

It is also the bit that I like the best - but i'd never, ever, ever, ever in a month of a million sundays consider doing it on a loan basis for someone who didn't attach any value to the work being done and was simply expecting to be handed back a 'made' horse at the end of it.

@Tiddlypom - that sounds a sensible part of a contract if you are loaning a horse with expectation that they're going to develop.

It's not a headspace i've been in with loans, as horses that i've loaned in the past (as the owner) have always been on the basis that I was NEVER intending to sell them (and yes, i have a collection of retirees now...!!)

Melody Grey

Visit site
This is a reply I got back from a complete moron selling an overpriced saddle. I had asked it’s size and if there was any damage to it. ? ? ?
The customer is always right! ? how rude of you to waste the sellers time in potentially wanting to buy it!! ?

I have a saddle on Facebook market place at the mo- someone asked whether they could try it in a local village- responded that I’m mega busy at work this week, but asked them to msg on Sunday and if I still have it, will take it over to them.....off like a shot, no response! ? obviously should have dropped everything and taken it at my expense immediately!

Fransurrey

Visit site
...responded that I’m mega busy at work this week, but asked them to msg on Sunday and if I still have it, will take it over to them.....off like a shot, no response! ? obviously should have dropped everything and taken it at my expense immediately!

I've had people message me to say they'll take something on Freebay, then I message with my address and suggested collection times. A couple of occasions I've had a confused message to say they're on my drive (ignoring suggested times) and where am I? I have to politely remind these people that I WORK and am not glued to the fecking sofa...

Snowfilly

Visit site

Yes I could, because if I’d had the money I would have brought a horse to sell on ad I wouldn’t have seen it again either. Yes, I would have had the money but that depended on me having money for a decent one in the first place which was never on the cards.

I didn’t need paying, I had a full time job in a different field so getting paid for it would have meant sorting insurance, tax and everything else as well as clearing it with my existing job, so why not run a horse doing something I enjoyed? I would have been paying shoes and feeding for an established horse just the same.

FlyingCircus

Visit site
If that was how everyone thought people would get away with doing exactly what they liked. Can you send me details so I can report them? This is not ok. Its not just a bit cheeky, its hugely illegal.
They're back advertising on FB. 3 days shared loan for £400 a month...but don't worry because you get full livery...for a horse you don't own...

Suffolk punches in Redruth