Cheeky/ridiculous posts you see on Facebook.

Snowfilly

I saw a recent advert recently for a share and it stated that you absolutely cannot have children and cannot be a smoker.
I’ll give them the non smoker bit, I hate the smell and wouldn’t want anyone who smelt even vaguely of it near my horses / tack / yard because it lingers.

Kids is a bit of an odd one, I guess they think people without are more reliable?

conniegirl

I think not wanting smokers is fair enough.

Kids is weird but maybe justified. E.g. what if someone has had multiple miscarriages/lost their own child or something and finds it upsetting, or is concerned about insurance claims if an accident were to occur with a child on their land.
It's not an unreasonable request IMO.
But surely tou could just ask them never to bring their kids to the yard?

we have a lady on our yard who has 6 kids, I’ve never seen one of them as she never brings them to the yard. The yard is “her” space and she wants to keep it that way

But surely tou could just ask them never to bring their kids to the yard?

we have a lady on our yard who has 6 kids, I’ve never seen one of them as she never brings them to the yard. The yard is “her” space and she wants to keep it that way
In the last few years when I've taken temporary summer liveries, I've ensured they know before even coming to view, that my yard is off limits to under 18s and also that visitors/friends of liveries were only welcome by pre arranged notice.
I cannot be doing with any (to me) irritations or car cluttering etc in my own yard.

FinnishLapphund

It sounded like a decent option for someone who misses being involved with breaking but currently doesn’t have that opportunity, especially as this is free.

But vv makes one wonder exactly how many days and hours they expect someone to put in
I agree with your last point, about that it sounds like they not only want someone preferably child free, without potentially with lots of spare time to spend on this person's horses.

But I presumed that most horsey people with real experience of breaking in horses, especially experience enough to safely break in highly strung, spooky horses, would expect to get paid for their work, and definitely not having to pay for it. So to me, this owner's whole It's for free argument falls a bit flat.

I suspect that the most likely horsey person to live within reasonable daily commute distance is someone wanting to get experience in breaking in horses. Which might be what the owner class as time wasters.

Schollym

People who 'rescue' horses then post asking for rugs/ tack etc making out like they're some kind of martyr :rolleyes3: ermm if you can't afford to look after the horse you've just acquired then why have you got it!
We have a local woman who claims to rescue horses and is looking for various donations, she sells on the rescues, leaves colts running with the mares and has a clause in her sales contracts that if the mare is pregnant she still owns it and needs it returning after weaning. There is also a significant campaign trying to highlight the issues with her ‘rescues’ . Really need legislation to control ‘rescue‘ organisations.

GreyMane

Not from FB (I'm not on it)

£1000 for a "field companion" TB, who is retired at 5 with various musculo-skeletal problems, is food aggressive, "a little angry" when rugged, sensitive to groom, never been clipped, bites at times, and to seal the deal "He is a dominant horse and has I have never put him in a field with another horse so will have to be slowly entroduced to field mate" (sic). So not really a field companion at the moment, then. Offered by someone who's got an "unbreakable bond" with him. 😔 ...and he's one of the "better behaved" horses on the yard 😶

https://www.horsemart.co.uk/field-c...experienced-home-only-/Horses-for-Loan/638470

stangs

£1000 for a "field companion" TB, who is retired at 5 with various musculo-skeletal problems, is food aggressive, "a little angry" when rugged, sensitive to groom, never been clipped, bites at times, and to seal the deal "He is a dominant horse and has I have never put him in a field with another horse so will have to be slowly entroduced to field mate" (sic). So not really a field companion at the moment, then. Offered by someone who's got an "unbreakable bond" with him. 😔 ...and he's one of the "better behaved" horses on the yard 😶

https://www.horsemart.co.uk/field-c...experienced-home-only-/Horses-for-Loan/638470
One wonders what exactly would be the right home for a horse like that. Sounds like there's more problems (mental and physical) than the diagnosed musculoskeletal issues.

exracehorse

that’s my neck of the woods. Who would hand over 1k for a walking vet bill. And sounds a grumpy sod that bites

WaterySun852

😱😱😱 have they accidentally put an extra zero on the price tag 💸

Hollychops

Just seen on FB:

Hi, not sure if this is a thing but looking for a freelance rider that maybe has their own lorry that could take my youngster out and about to get used to travelling and also new arenas??!

I could understand, ‘Anyone happy to let me tag along, I will pay my way/horse is good loader etc’ but not ‘Someone take my horse to places for me’. Or is it just me that sees it that way?

Pippity

Just seen on FB:

Hi, not sure if this is a thing but looking for a freelance rider that maybe has their own lorry that could take my youngster out and about to get used to travelling and also new arenas??!

I could understand, ‘Anyone happy to let me tag along, I will pay my way/horse is good loader etc’ but not ‘Someone take my horse to places for me’. Or is it just me that sees it that way?
They say they're looking for a freelance rider, not a sharer/loaner, so it sounds like they want to pay someone to introduce their horse to new experiences? Sounds perfectly reasonable to me.

Gloi

One on FB today to serve as a warning

Person has recently bought a pony which vet now says only suitable for companion.
Trying to get money back but don't have sellers details so are offering it for loan.
Commenters are saying use her for breeding.

EventingMum

On Facebook today accompanied by a very fuzzy photo in which she certainly looked like an old lady. It annoys me that someone states she should be retired but is not ensuring her future and no doubt making some money at the same time. I agree with those who say not to advertise for free but this doesn't sit well with me.

"No nasty comments please..I'm just trying to find her a kind
with someone who wants to hack a bit on a safe horse. She's 25yo and 15.2h in excellent condition and very very quiet. A 7yo girl rode her last summer holidays. In an ideal world she would be retired where she has been all her life but I am hoping someone here can offer her a loving future. We all know with better diets, veterinary care and dental care, older horses can have a good quality of life for many years.
She is registered Irish Draught and has a fantastic pedigree.
No stable vices and just a sweetheart.
Based in Ireland with transport available
1 1
"

silv

On Facebook today accompanied by a very fuzzy photo in which she certainly looked like an old lady. It annoys me that someone states she should be retired but is not ensuring her future and no doubt making some money at the same time. I agree with those who say not to advertise for free but this doesn't sit well with me.

"No nasty comments please..I'm just trying to find her a kind
with someone who wants to hack a bit on a safe horse. She's 25yo and 15.2h in excellent condition and very very quiet. A 7yo girl rode her last summer holidays. In an ideal world she would be retired where she has been all her life but I am hoping someone here can offer her a loving future. We all know with better diets, veterinary care and dental care, older horses can have a good quality of life for many years.
She is registered Irish Draught and has a fantastic pedigree.
No stable vices and just a sweetheart.
Based in Ireland with transport available
1 1
"
I know, I hate to see this also. I always feel like replying, "if you cannot be arsed to give your horse the retirement she deserves why do you think anyone else will"

Ceifer

There’s a strangely worded ad on a local Facebook horse group that is repeatedly put up by a woman wanting a retired horse/companion but the ad starts off by her saying she’s not a scammer, people have bullied her, been mean to her, she doesn’t want sympathy she just wants a retired horse that’s not a rescue and to help people.
Nobody appears to ever reply on any of these adverts so unless people are privately messaging her abuse it all
Just come across as a bit weird.

AntiPuck

There’s a strangely worded ad on a local Facebook horse group that is repeatedly put up by a woman wanting a retired horse/companion but the ad starts off by her saying she’s not a scammer, people have bullied her, been mean to her, she doesn’t want sympathy she just wants a retired horse that’s not a rescue and to help people.
Nobody appears to ever reply on any of these adverts so unless people are privately messaging her abuse it all
I think I have seen the very same person doing this, multiple times!

Tell me you're missing a few screws without telling me that you're missing a few screws... 🤯

Very, very strange.

abbijay

You are obviously in my neck of the woods as I see this regularly too.
It's the "don't be mean to me about this" that I don't understand and "Looking for the impossible [insert a million dramatic emojis]
Also, we have no FB friends in common despite her running a local doggy day care business and having horses. I would have expected at least one mutual.
I'm now wondering if she actually is local or not... Or just a lonely soul posting in groups.
I actual have a retired horse who lives out year round. I might enquire about the prospect of moving him...

teddypops

She has posted multiple ads on every single horse Facebook group but each one is different but when people question her she is rude and blocks them.

I’ll give them the non smoker bit, I hate the smell and wouldn’t want anyone who smelt even vaguely of it near my horses / tack / yard because it lingers.

Kids is a bit of an odd one, I guess they think people without are more reliable?
Nope- I wouldn’t want children involved in a share with my horse. If they got hurt it could be pinned on me

Can you copy and paste it/ screen shot for us? Sounds familiar but can’t place it