Cheeky/ridiculous posts you see on Facebook.

Vodkagirly

Visit site
Not horse related, but in a local group someone has advertised their patio paving - free to collect to be fair, oh and you'll have to lift them yourself as they're not strong enough.
They're only the little squares they aren't actually heavy, so basically please can someone come lift and take my patio away for free ?

Tbh I've responded to several ads like this to get paving for under sheds. Works for both sides

maisie06

Visit site
One has just popped up -

Looking for the impossible ??

Due to lesson price increases at my riding school I can no longer afford frequent lessons. I am a quiet, confident rider who has been riding for 9 years looking to loan/ride a horse once or twice a week. I’m happy to pay a small financial contribution or help with yard duties. I am based in at weekends and have my own transport and based in weekdays. I am used to riding cob types and have previously loaned a forward going cob although, I would be open to anything over 14hh. Please PM me if you have anything suitable and I am happy to send some videos.

That could actually work for someone, especially if they are willing to do yard chores in exchange for riding.

Pegasus5531

Visit site
Perfect thread for something I recently saw on fb. Someone wanting a sharer to come muck out and help with care of their two elderly, retired horses and they wanted £30 a week contribution from the individual. I was gobsmacked as surely if they want someone to just do yard work they should be paying them not the other way around!

Pegasus5531

Visit site
That could actually work for someone, especially if they are willing to do yard chores in exchange for riding.

My first loan horse when I was 10 was an arrangement like this. She was a cob mare in her 20s who had taught both children in the family to ride and looked after them but they had grown up and left home and she was still fit and wanted to work. So her very kind owners basically let me treat her as my own which allowed me to access pony club camps, shows, pleasure rides etc all things that I couldn't have done with the riding school ponies I had been on before then (they never charged me for anything they were just happy to see her enjoying herself too). After proving myself loaning her for two years my parents bought me my own horse as she slowed down to retirement but I kept in touch and she lived another 15 years.

Annagain

Visit site
I’ve dismantled a shed and a greenhouse and carried them away before now! I’d much rather do some physical work than pay for something. Saves them the hassle as well.

Slightly different situation but my dad was given a large greenhouse by his friend down the road but he had to dismantle it to take it away. Having taken the glass out, he found all the bolts were rusted and seized and there was no way they'd unscrew. He called a few friends and between six of them they carried the whole thing half a mile home down the main road through the village. The got quite a lot of attention.

Surbie

Visit site
Slightly different situation but my dad was given a large greenhouse by his friend down the road but he had to dismantle it to take it away. Having taken the glass out, he found all the bolts were rusted and seized and there was no way they'd unscrew. He called a few friends and between six of them they carried the whole thing half a mile home down the main road through the village. The got quite a lot of attention.

Same on the one I got, but we snapped all the bolts, they are cheap and easy to replace. And by we, I don't mean me, just the muscle I brought along for the difficult bits. ;)

coblets

Visit site
"Looking for a trustworthy sharer for my pony he is a bay 13.2 new forest gelding needs a bit more of a confident rider . I need you to come in on Mondays,Thursdays,Sundays please to ride/lunge groom feed turn out/in can’t cancel the days for doing the sharing. You will need to pay for the livery of the horse at the end of the month and the vet,farrier,dentist. Looking for 18+ as needing to come in all day so can’t have school,collage,university in the way"

And owner expects you to pay 500pcm for a cross between a full and part loan to boot.

rextherobber

Visit site
My parents and neighbours did the same, lifted it over back garden fences so the house 4 doors down could have it. Back in the days when garden fences were 4ft picket, not 6ft panel though!

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
"Looking for a trustworthy sharer for my pony he is a bay 13.2 new forest gelding needs a bit more of a confident rider . I need you to come in on Mondays,Thursdays,Sundays please to ride/lunge groom feed turn out/in can’t cancel the days for doing the sharing. You will need to pay for the livery of the horse at the end of the month and the vet,farrier,dentist. Looking for 18+ as needing to come in all day so can’t have school,collage,university in the way"

And owner expects you to pay 500pcm for a cross between a full and part loan to boot.

Sounds like the owner is looking for a professional rider/groom but wants professional rider/groom to pay owner for the privilege! Some chancers out there for sure.

Dave's Mam

Visit site

I think someone's got things the wrong way round.

abbijay

Visit site
A frequent flyer for this page has just posted in a non-horsey local FB page (that's not even that local to her)
"how much does everyone pay for their horses feet to be done?
I've been quoted £40, is that a normal rate or is that quite expensive?"
No further information on whether it's a shetland or a shire.

Esmae

Visit site

We did that with our greenhouse. Walked it down past our horses who totally lost the plot at the scene before them. It was very funny at the time.

maya2008

Visit site
Saw one today asking for a unicorn on loan for their child. Kind of pony that would be worth in excess of £5k even without today’s prices. Now I understand those ponies are sometimes loaned out (as much loved), but surely the ad would be more about what a lovely home they could offer said pony, rather than a list of things it must be able to do?

[153312]

Visit site
Saw one today asking for a unicorn on loan for their child. Kind of pony that would be worth in excess of £5k even without today’s prices. Now I understand those ponies are sometimes loaned out (as much loved), but surely the ad would be more about what a lovely home they could offer said pony, rather than a list of things it must be able to do?

eta - misread post lol sorry

Sossigpoker

Visit site
Oh that's normal.
Everyone is looking to loan a horse with perfect manners, perfect to hack, jumps 1m + and dressage at least novice.
Whilst the rest of us buy them , they expect this for free.

coblets

Visit site

You'd think an ad like this would never happen again... You'd be wrong.

"Lovely little cob not measured but around 13.3hh very solid. Good to handle, groom, feet etc. Bare foot She has been backed and was working well however due to lack of time she has been turned away and not brought back into work so will need to start her education again. Not a complete novice ride . Come in early mornings until night. You will feed groom ride turn in or out . Come in on Mondays Tuesdays and Sundays . DON’T message me on WhatsApp please I do not have someone else has my number on there. Has everything you need . You will need to pay for:
Vet
Farrier
Dentist ect
Stabling
Any tack you want.

Canceling for your shift have 48hr notice so I can find someone else to come in if messaged me after 48hr notice you HAVE to come in !"

How are you going to use the word 'shift' and still make people pay for the privilege?