Cheeky/ridiculous posts you see on Facebook.

Moomin1

Visit site
There was one yesterday asking for someone to part loan their horse for £25 per week. Said horse was 4yrs old, only just brought back into work after a year off, and had only just established the basics. Wanted a part loaner to bring it on as very nervy and needs a lot of schooling....

The other one recently was "Wanted: Ifor Williams 510/511 trailer. Must be good condition with aluminium floor and ready to go. Must be 'cheep' as on small budget."

mastermax

Visit site
This week on one of our local groups on FB "When should I put his fly rug on"....

Gosh, lets think about this, maybe in the winter or maybe in the spring and summer when the fies are out.

Molly'sMama

Visit site
on my local page

Wanted : approx 12.2 children's pony. Must be good on the ground especially to catch / tack up / groom etc. Must be suitable for a small child to handle and cuddle etc and love standing around for fuss. To live in in winter and out in summer. To be used for hacking and popping a small jump here and there and perhaps a few shows In summer. Budget of £500. Nothing naughty or has any long term medical conditions must be sound and ready to go. Nothing that needs to be ridden everyday just something that's happy to come in for a groom then be ridden on a weekend.

ermm i'm pretty sure pc mums pay 1000s for ponies like that and you're offering 500????

Equine_Dream

Visit site
Tbf that pretty much describes my 13.3 gelding ^^^ and I only paid 600 for him. Bought him as something to get my confidence back after my old mare proved to be psychotic. As you can see I got a cracking ony for my money :D so it can happen. You just need to look.
11158064_967316819975720_1592436644_n.jpg

Grinchmass

Visit site
I did see a post on a website with someone looking for an all rounder for under 1000 - needed to be ready to compete and event. Also needed to be between 6 and 12 and sensible.

MagicMelon

Visit site
I offered an absolute top class horse for permanent loan as a really amazing hack / companion - I had people asking if he came with all his tack and rugs, erm no because in this case it was a PERMANENT LOAN (as in he'd only come back to me if they no longer wanted him) so basically I'd be giving them the horse and his entire wardrobe for free? People expect everything for nothing these days... Even if I bought a horse, I wouldn't expect tack - if he does its a bonus but generally often stuff that comes with a horse doesn't fit anyway! I can't think of any horse I've bought who came with anything more than a headcollar!

I saw an advert this morning on FB of a really nice looking horse from previous photos (out competing etc.) but in the newest photo the horse was looking scruffy and a bit skinny but nothing more than a horse who had just wintered out - the horse was only on for £500, yet the abuse this girl was getting was ridiculous! For £500 what do you expect and a cheap horse doesn't mean they should be accused of cruelty...

Last edited:

lazyfoxx

Visit site
"My mare should start being backed next week, so keep u eyes open for a fresh mare to go out on full loan, would love her to go to some person who's going to jump and just have some mad fun on her 14.2-3 ish can move yards no problem if any one is interested keep eyes open for her progress "

another classic from the south east area lol

Molly'sMama

Visit site
I offered an absolute top class horse for permanent loan as a really amazing hack / companion - I had people asking if he came with all his tack and rugs, erm no because in this case it was a PERMANENT LOAN (as in he'd only come back to me if they no longer wanted him) so basically I'd be giving them the horse and his entire wardrobe for free? People expect everything for nothing these days... Even if I bought a horse, I wouldn't expect tack - if he does its a bonus but generally often stuff that comes with a horse doesn't fit anyway! I can't think of any horse I've bought who came with anything more than a headcollar!

errm i kinda disagree here. Lots of horses I've seen advertised for permanent loan go with their tack, and when buying my family's only ever bought horses that came with the tack; we may have sold it for new stuff at some point but defo came with tack.

Stroppy Mare

Visit site
I saw a horse for sale, someone asked 'does it come with a full wardrobe' ... Owner replied 'no, just the horse', someone else added 'does it come with feed?!' ... Since when did anyone sell a horse with feed?!

J&C

Visit site
Been a lot of these on my local page recently but I'm having a mind blank at the moment.

Although there is one teenage girl that drives me insane. She is always banging on about how she is a VERY experienced and good rider but put a post up asking for advice as she couldn't tell if she was on the right diagonal when trotting. LOADS of people gave her advice and she shot down every single comment. If someone said to look at the horses shoulder she would just say she couldn't see the movement. If people told her to feel the movement she would say she couldn't feel it. If anybody dared to suggest she might consider getting an instructor out she would take it as a personal insult as she "already knows how to ride and doesn't need lessons!"

Tbh, I don't know why she asks for advice in the first place!

misskk88

Visit site

I kind of disagree with this. I think it really depends on the owner and situation. A lot of people ARE happy to send tack with horse when on loan. I have loaned my horse out and tack went with her, although they changed saddle when she muscled up, and returned old one. I also sent rugs with her, but they returned when owner bought replacements. The sensible thing would be to have a clause that any tack which is damaged or broken during loanees care is replaced. Slightly different when buying though.

What IS ridiculous is people that are buying a horse, who want tack included which is worth more than they are paying for the horse- I totally agree that some people want something for nothing nowadays!

glamourpuss

Visit site
Been a lot of these on my local page recently but I'm having a mind blank at the moment.

Although there is one teenage girl that drives me insane. She is always banging on about how she is a VERY experienced and good rider but put a post up asking for advice as she couldn't tell if she was on the right diagonal when trotting. LOADS of people gave her advice and she shot down every single comment. If someone said to look at the horses shoulder she would just say she couldn't see the movement. If people told her to feel the movement she would say she couldn't feel it. If anybody dared to suggest she might consider getting an instructor out she would take it as a personal insult as she "already knows how to ride and doesn't need lessons!"

Ah you must be in the same region as I am....I believe this person (initials MM?) has featured on this thread several times :D
I suspect she's very young....either way she's a bit if a PITA with her ridiculous posts!

vam

Visit site
Currently on one of the fb pages I use as I’m horse hunting.
‘Free to good home, needs rebab before bringing into work’ I think it was only 6 and it had one pic of its head over the door and it was a very pretty looking horse. Last time I scrolled past it, it was at about 300 comments. I had a look and it is the same argument between people saying you shouldn’t give a horse away for free because of potential abuse and those saying that there are people out there that would take it on and look after it rather than make a quick buck. Judging by the fact it had loads of people wanting more info as they want it I’m more scared by the people with good intentions but lacking knowledge thinking cheap and easy horse.

While I don’t doubt that the seller will do their best to find a good home it just makes me sad and feeling very sorry for the poor horse.

glamourpuss

Visit site
On another FB group there is a person who organises beach rides. They basically set the date & where to meet, initially it just seemed to be as a way of people meeting up however the last one they appeared to be charging £10 a horse.
As I could see there was nothing 'official' about this ride, no stewards, no first aid cover, no insurance, no completion award & it was on a beach that anyone can ride on for free. Lots of people asked whether the £10 was for charity so I'm guessing I wasn't alone in thinking that this was incredibly cheeky.....however as those posts were ignored I suspect it was just an incredibly cheeky way of trying to fleece people.

MagicMelon

Visit site
errm i kinda disagree here. Lots of horses I've seen advertised for permanent loan go with their tack, and when buying my family's only ever bought horses that came with the tack; we may have sold it for new stuff at some point but defo came with tack.

Well I'm afraid I think its taking the pee, especially when most of the people enquiring wanted him purely as a companion so clearly they'd just flog off all his tack or use it on their other horses! Why should I provide that? I imagine the tack that goes with these horses for free is absolute tat. I was not about to give away my only £1,500 saddle thanks! I would personally never expect a horse to come with tack, I think years ago it was the norm but nowadays all I see is adverts saying that tack can be bought seperately which makes sense.

I kind of disagree with this. I think it really depends on the owner and situation. A lot of people ARE happy to send tack with horse when on loan. I have loaned my horse out and tack went with her, although they changed saddle when she muscled up, and returned old one. I also sent rugs with her, but they returned when owner bought replacements. The sensible thing would be to have a clause that any tack which is damaged or broken during loanees care is replaced. Slightly different when buying though.

I agree its normal to send tack if the horse is just on a normal loan, but a permanent loan its generally accepted that its a forever loan (depending on their use of the horse) so I couldn't expect my tack back until the horse died basically, and I doubt after a few years my tack would be worth anything by then!

Last edited:

NativePonyLover

Visit site
But presumably you'd be happy for the person loaning (so doesn't even own the horse) for their tack to decrease in value when the horse goes back to the owner?

I can see both sides to the tack/no tack argument - so just playing devils advocate here!

pennyturner

Visit site
I'd think less of someone who didn't send rugs / tack with a loan horse. The purpose of the loan is to secure a good home, and the comfort of the horse should come first. If he's used to wearing his rug / travel boots / well fitting saddle, then surely it goes with him.

MagicMelon

Visit site
But presumably you'd be happy for the person loaning (so doesn't even own the horse) for their tack to decrease in value when the horse goes back to the owner?

Well yes because they're getting a free horse to ride and look after as if it were their own, without paying the big initial outlay to buy the horse and they have the added bonus they can hand the horse back whenever they feel like it - pretty cushy deal if you ask me!

lazyfoxx

Visit site
"Loan wanted.... Or cheap sale.
1 million % bombproof.
Slow but not lazy.
Very calm!!!
No buckers, rearers or spinners.
Be able to hack with company, not required to hack solo.
Be a chunky weight carrier 15-16 hh
Age not an issue as long as no health issue.
No jumping will be done, happy hacker and light schooling.
Loving and knowledgeable home awaits in ******** "

another classic from the south east today - least they dont want age 4 to 15 !

DirectorFury

Visit site
Someone trying to sell their 18yo pony (that they've had since it was 12) with severe COPD for £250 or £350 inc tack and rugs :(. Poor thing probably isn't going to end up in a good situation.

pennyturner

Visit site
Someone trying to sell their 18yo pony (that they've had since it was 12) with severe COPD for £250 or £350 inc tack and rugs :(. Poor thing probably isn't going to end up in a good situation.

Or it could go to someone with a bit of sense, a young child and lots of grazing. Once out in the field it's COPD will likely go away, and it could have 10 good years (actually it's best years, in terms of value to a beginner) at pony club.
Why people think a pony is done at 18 is beyond me. Many are only just getting sensible!

NativePonyLover

Visit site
Well yes because they're getting a free horse to ride and look after as if it were their own, without paying the big initial outlay to buy the horse and they have the added bonus they can hand the horse back whenever they feel like it - pretty cushy deal if you ask me!

Or, put lots of effort into a horse to have him/her taken away at the owners whim ... Again, 2 sides & just playing devils advocate.

It doesn't bother me, I won't loan personally - but the amount of loans I see advertised where the owner wants someone to improve their horse & take it back again when it's going well!

miss_c

Visit site
Just seen an add on FB... used saddlecloths, non descript make with the tabs at the wither cut off, a steal at...

£17.50 EACH plus £5 postage!

exracehorse

Visit site

Ha ha. That's the stupid girl who said she was very experienced but couldn't get her cob to move. I dared to suggest that perhaps she wasn't so experiencedafter all and her fellow friends were very angry. She put an advert up this week. She wants spurs as cheap as possible. But you have to deliver them to her!

exracehorse

Visit site

Ah you must be in the same region as I am....I believe this person (initials MM?) has featured on this thread several times :D
I suspect she's very young....either way she's a bit if a PITA with her ridiculous posts!

Ooh yes. All things horsey Norfolk.

Luci07

Visit site
I'd think less of someone who didn't send rugs / tack with a loan horse. The purpose of the loan is to secure a good home, and the comfort of the horse should come first. If he's used to wearing his rug / travel boots / well fitting saddle, then surely it goes with him.
Nope. Disagree strongly. I loaned out my ex event mare. Loaner had a bombproof hack who could do low level RC stuff. Her tack was exceedingly expensive and was not going anywhere!

orionstar

Visit site
I think you should like South Tyneside Riders it takes numptys to a whole new level to the point that I had to unlike it after an post about mud fever where the recommended fix was bleach, and an advert for bullkita puppies!