Cheeky/ridiculous posts you see on Facebook.

teapot

Visit site
I suppose so. The cost of a claim if you are teaching on your own horse, without a licence and insurance, and the rider has an accident, will be significantly higher. Which is why it's such a cheeky thing to ask, and why this person should do some research to find out just why riding is as expensive as it is :)

Quite but I can assure you you couldn't get it at a riding school for £20 either. My nearest reputable riding school charges upwards of £60 for a private lesson. So whilst I can appreciate the costs and insurance involved, riding is not an accessible sport for everyone. Sadly posts on Facebook from teenagers implying they want to learn but only have x amount of cash no longer surprise me.

Last edited:

Pigeon

Visit site
One on KEG looking for someone to come out and shoot some pigeons nesting in their barn. Cue the comments- 'Pigeons have hearts and souls to. All animals deserve life. How would you feel if you built a house and then someone knocked it down and shot your family?!'

They do!

Kadastorm

Visit site
I am literally shocked.. this is quoted from a post of KEG

Do they want their daughter alive or dead?!

Now I would normally agree but I do know this woman personally and her daughter and she doesn't have much of a clue about hat standards due to not being horsey. she doesn't want to spend a fortune on a hat but equally is wondering what the cheaper models are like as she is concerned about safety. Don't get me wrong, she could have worded it better but she means well.

Tapir

Visit site
Now I would normally agree but I do know this woman personally and her daughter and she doesn't have much of a clue about hat standards due to not being horsey. she doesn't want to spend a fortune on a hat but equally is wondering what the cheaper models are like as she is concerned about safety. Don't get me wrong, she could have worded it better but she means well.

I agree, this was a reasonable question. You can spend £60 on a hat with PAS015 standard or hundreds on a helmet which only has EN1384. Spending more does not necessarily make the helmet safer.

Embo

Visit site
I agree, this was a reasonable question. You can spend £60 on a hat with PAS015 standard or hundreds on a helmet which only has EN1384. Spending more does not necessarily make the helmet safer.

Not according to one poster! She seemed determined that the more expensive the hat, the safer it was.

She said something along the lines of "look at what the top show jumpers are wearing, they will be the safest hats". She implied that the more expensive they are, the better the safety standard!

marmalade88

Visit site
Not according to one poster! She seemed determined that the more expensive the hat, the safer it was.

She said something along the lines of "look at what the top show jumpers are wearing, they will be the safest hats". She implied that the more expensive they are, the better the safety standard!

Eurgh, don't people realise they get a lot of this stuff as part of their sponsorship deals? How naïve.

Cowpony

Visit site

Surely looking at what jockeys wear would be a better idea?

Cowpony

Visit site
Not necessarily - for example the body protectors that jockeys wear are less protective than the standard ones

That's interesting. I've always smugly assumed my helmet was one of the safest because it's a jockey scull with a silk rather than a prettier one!

TGM

Visit site
Need to buy a skullcap for my daughter, is it worth spending a bit more for safety or are they all much of a muchness?

I think this is a fair question - I read it as the mother is trying to find out whether paying more will buy a safer hat, or whether higher prices only bring other benefits in terms of fashion, coolness etc. But agree the wording is a bit ambiguous!

Visit site
That's interesting. I've always smugly assumed my helmet was one of the safest because it's a jockey scull with a silk rather than a prettier one!

It depends what skull cap you have -your bog standard ones are safer than 'pretty' ones due to the fact that they have no fixed peak. At the other end of the spectrum you have the AP McCoy hats (yes I know names names names!) But they are actually very goo, they also have great thick padded harness around your ears to keep them toasty in winter :D

The body protectors jockeys wear are about as much use as a cardboard box. They protect you from minor kicks and bumps but that's it. They are fully flexible so that jockeys can row a horse without restriction. To be honest if you put a top level bp on a jockey it's not as safe for them due to the speed they hit the ground at and from what angles they will do more damage from those brick walls strapped round them! Plus jockeys are tought to tuck and roll into their falls.

Fidgety

Visit site
Another odd one I've just seen, can't quite make my mind up on it. "Want to do dressage £20 for half an hour on ur horse plz pm me if u can teach me"

That to me says 'I want to ride a horse that can skip, trot on the spot and go sideways' and not 'I want a flat work lesson and establish some solid foundations'. :(

Cowpony

Visit site
It depends what skull cap you have -your bog standard ones are safer than 'pretty' ones due to the fact that they have no fixed peak. At the other end of the spectrum you have the AP McCoy hats (yes I know names names names!) But they are actually very goo, they also have great thick padded harness around your ears to keep them toasty in winter :D QUOTE]

Thanks EKW, that's given me food for thought. I'm going to have to change mine by the end of the year anyway because of this stupid change of standards, so I'll do more research than I might otherwise have done.

Shantara

Visit site
"We are both 13 yrs old and have rider insurance, we are very experienced and own a yard of our own competition horses."
And also they say they can help with ponies that "don't go on the bridle"

I really doubt 2 13yr olds own a competition yard.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
"We are both 13 yrs old and have rider insurance, we are very experienced and own a yard of our own competition horses."
And also they say they can help with ponies that "don't go on the bridle"

I really doubt 2 13yr olds own a competition yard.

This reminds me of the many pony books I read as a child where a group of unlikely kids did set up a pony schooling/ rescue business of sorts, - you can't fault them for trying! :D

Shantara

Visit site
I know them and I don't doubt their ability to stay on, but to actually improve the horses way of going without an instructor? And to cure bucking and bolting?!...I think not.

Grinchmass

Visit site
Dragging an old thread up but -

My mare is currently advertised for part loan a couple of days a week due to time etc.
I had an email back from a student asking for her on full loan. To move about 1 hour away...

For THREE months over summer.

The mind reels, aside from looking for a sharer, would anyone in reality just loan their horse out over summer... Really.

shortstuff99

Visit site
There was one on my local page recently saying:

'wanted girl horse, 4 years old must be good with traffic/ roads, good with other horses, budget £250-500.'

When asked why a 4 year old reply was, 'I dunno why not?' It got more interesting when someone who knew her came online to say how she has only started riding school lessons has no idea how to look after a horse and she should never be getting a youngster! Ooooops......

Scoti1420

Visit site
A girl in the grapevine a few weeks back made a post asking for a horse when she had £10 a week to spend. People jumped down her throat for it, and some reasonably said she hadn't specified if she wanted a share or a loan, so could only be looking for a ride once a week. Okay, that's fine.

Next day she is asking if anyone has a helmet for £5 because she can't afford to spend more on it.

Better it be on your head than mine!