Cheeky/ridiculous posts you see on Facebook.

abbijay

Visit site
Not horse related at all but I cant help adding this. I've had to do it as a screenshot or you wouldn't believe me.

View attachment 85937
If I thought this was real I would be buying one (or a few) for my brother in law’s birthday at the end of the month. (He’s one of a kind!)
And through work I’ve had recent dealings with eco-warriors in Manchester parks so I wouldn’t necessarily put this level of weird past them!

IrishMilo

Visit site
I get where you are coming from and you're not wrong, I think the rug he's pictured in is new, but £700 quid for a lame horse. It's the need gone ASAP that's getting my goat. I'd happily pay for the rugs, the headcollars and a pound for the horse but I don't think that would come close to the £700 being requested ?

I can understand people not wanting to do "free to good home" but asking several hundred pounds for lame animals is something I struggle to comprehend. Surely a nominal fee would be better and the buyer investing the several hundred in investigations/treatment/making comfortable etc.

I feel like sellers are damned if they do and damned if they don't in these scenarios though. If it's for free people says it's irresponsible and if they ask for money they say they're taking the mick. The horse I've just bought was up for £800. He's a year out of racing due to a broken pelvis, starting rehab. I told the seller I'd bring a deposit up to her that same evening but I wouldn't pay more than £250. I've already spent more on hay, bedding, stable and rugs than what I bought him for...

jEeY0Oq.jpg

dorsetladette

Visit site
I feel like sellers are damned if they do and damned if they don't in these scenarios though. If it's for free people says it's irresponsible and if they ask for money they say they're taking the mick. The horse I've just bought was up for £800. He's a year out of racing due to a broken pelvis, starting rehab. I told the seller I'd bring a deposit up to her that same evening but I wouldn't pay more than £250. I've already spent more on hay, bedding, stable and rugs than what I bought him for...

jEeY0Oq.jpg

He looks a real sweetie.

I agree with you. Robin's breeder had him advertised for a nominal fee, she had turned down a few other people before us as she didn't feel they were right for him. We chatted for a couple of hours in his stable discussing what we wanted to do with him (essentially a companion for B), showing and generally seeing the world. Cash exchanged hands and his breeder insisted on delivering him, to see where he was going.

WaterySun852

Visit site
He's gorgeous ? best of luck with him IM. I paid 850 for my ex racer 6 months ago, only issue was a sarcoid which shrivelled up and dropped off a month or so after landing with me. I'd happily pay 250 for the horse in the ad I posted and would probably pay the extra for his rugs and I will admit I am sorely tempted but I'm a skinflint and still think 700 is too dear

[153312]

Visit site
Just seen this one

"I’m looking for someone who’s interested and has a love for horses to come and help with some hands on work with my two horses and possibly ride. I have a thoroughbred X mare and a 2 year old filly. (Mother and daughter) Filly turns 3 in March and I am aiming to lightly back my youngster this year as soon as the weather turns.
I am looking for someone who is experienced in dealing with highly strung, spooky horses and someone who is not frightened to get involved. Both horses can be quick on their feet so you need to be able to move and think one step ahead. You must have experience in dealing and training youngsters and preferably someone who doesn’t have children who can put in the time to help as I can’t train and back on my own.
Driving is an essential.

This is an advert for someone who generally wants to get involved and be hands on with horses for fun. NO MONEYS are involved.
Both my mares are lovely and are characters so if anyone is interested then please pm me.
Yard located on -----------------.
Genuine people please, no times wasters.
Pictures are of both my girls ?"

I have no words. I really hope I'm misinterpreting it somehow!

Last edited:

stangs

Visit site
It sounded like a decent option for someone who misses being involved with breaking but currently doesn’t have that opportunity, especially as this is free.

But vv makes one wonder exactly how many days and hours they expect someone to put in
someone who doesn’t have children who can put in the time to help as I can’t train and back on my own.

Snowfilly

Visit site
I saw a recent advert recently for a share and it stated that you absolutely cannot have children and cannot be a smoker.

I’ll give them the non smoker bit, I hate the smell and wouldn’t want anyone who smelt even vaguely of it near my horses / tack / yard because it lingers.

Kids is a bit of an odd one, I guess they think people without are more reliable?

conniegirl

Visit site
I think not wanting smokers is fair enough.

Kids is weird but maybe justified. E.g. what if someone has had multiple miscarriages/lost their own child or something and finds it upsetting, or is concerned about insurance claims if an accident were to occur with a child on their land.
It's not an unreasonable request IMO.
But surely tou could just ask them never to bring their kids to the yard?

we have a lady on our yard who has 6 kids, I’ve never seen one of them as she never brings them to the yard. The yard is “her” space and she wants to keep it that way

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
But surely tou could just ask them never to bring their kids to the yard?

we have a lady on our yard who has 6 kids, I’ve never seen one of them as she never brings them to the yard. The yard is “her” space and she wants to keep it that way
In the last few years when I've taken temporary summer liveries, I've ensured they know before even coming to view, that my yard is off limits to under 18s and also that visitors/friends of liveries were only welcome by pre arranged notice.
I cannot be doing with any (to me) irritations or car cluttering etc in my own yard.

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site
It sounded like a decent option for someone who misses being involved with breaking but currently doesn’t have that opportunity, especially as this is free.

But vv makes one wonder exactly how many days and hours they expect someone to put in

I agree with your last point, about that it sounds like they not only want someone preferably child free, without potentially with lots of spare time to spend on this person's horses.

But I presumed that most horsey people with real experience of breaking in horses, especially experience enough to safely break in highly strung, spooky horses, would expect to get paid for their work, and definitely not having to pay for it. So to me, this owner's whole It's for free argument falls a bit flat.

I suspect that the most likely horsey person to live within reasonable daily commute distance is someone wanting to get experience in breaking in horses. Which might be what the owner class as time wasters.

Schollym

Visit site
People who 'rescue' horses then post asking for rugs/ tack etc making out like they're some kind of martyr :rolleyes3: ermm if you can't afford to look after the horse you've just acquired then why have you got it!
We have a local woman who claims to rescue horses and is looking for various donations, she sells on the rescues, leaves colts running with the mares and has a clause in her sales contracts that if the mare is pregnant she still owns it and needs it returning after weaning. There is also a significant campaign trying to highlight the issues with her ‘rescues’ . Really need legislation to control ‘rescue‘ organisations.

GreyMane

Visit site
Not from FB (I'm not on it)

£1000 for a "field companion" TB, who is retired at 5 with various musculo-skeletal problems, is food aggressive, "a little angry" when rugged, sensitive to groom, never been clipped, bites at times, and to seal the deal "He is a dominant horse and has I have never put him in a field with another horse so will have to be slowly entroduced to field mate" (sic). So not really a field companion at the moment, then. Offered by someone who's got an "unbreakable bond" with him. ? ...and he's one of the "better behaved" horses on the yard ?

https://www.horsemart.co.uk/field-c...experienced-home-only-/Horses-for-Loan/638470

stangs

Visit site

£1000 for a "field companion" TB, who is retired at 5 with various musculo-skeletal problems, is food aggressive, "a little angry" when rugged, sensitive to groom, never been clipped, bites at times, and to seal the deal "He is a dominant horse and has I have never put him in a field with another horse so will have to be slowly entroduced to field mate" (sic). So not really a field companion at the moment, then. Offered by someone who's got an "unbreakable bond" with him. ? ...and he's one of the "better behaved" horses on the yard ?

https://www.horsemart.co.uk/field-c...experienced-home-only-/Horses-for-Loan/638470
One wonders what exactly would be the right home for a horse like that. Sounds like there's more problems (mental and physical) than the diagnosed musculoskeletal issues.

exracehorse

Visit site

that’s my neck of the woods. Who would hand over 1k for a walking vet bill. And sounds a grumpy sod that bites