Cheeky/ridiculous posts you see on Facebook.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I have a question on adverts (this one on HQ but anywhere). Why is it that people refer to the horse they are selling as a ‘model’? Stunning model. Impressive model. I realise they don’t mean ‘supermodel’ but where did that term come from?

It's a car sales term. "The new model Renault 5 will be released in 2024".

Abacus

Visit site
It's a car sales term. "The new model Renault 5 will be released in 2024".
Good example. I’m struggling to see how it transfers to horses. Dictionary definition (for this meaning) is ‘an example to follow’. Which I guess would make some sense if the horse were exceptional.

Titchy Pony

Visit site
Saw an interesting one for a grey pony stallion for stud:
- "produces big ponies but not overheight"; Surely that depends on the size of the mare as well? If you mate him to a 2m percheron (not sure why you would) you'll probably get an overheight descendant.
-"doesn't only produce grey foals, even with grey mares"; To me this shows a lack of knowledge colour genetics (or that they're hopping the owner of the mare has a lack of knowledge of colour genetics). Stallion is obviously heterozygous for grey, but if you cross him to a mare that is homozygous for grey, then the foal will be grey. Can't they just say that the stallion is heterozygous for grey?

Goldie's mum

Visit site
Good example. I’m struggling to see how it transfers to horses. Dictionary definition (for this meaning) is ‘an example to follow’. Which I guess would make some sense if the horse were exceptional.
Do you think they do mean "example" in the sense of typical of the breed/type they are talking about?
(To be honest a lot of phrases in adverts seem not to mean anything at all, beyond that the writer has read other adverts and copied them.)

conniegirl

Visit site
Saw an interesting one for a grey pony stallion for stud:
- "produces big ponies but not overheight"; Surely that depends on the size of the mare as well? If you mate him to a 2m percheron (not sure why you would) you'll probably get an overheight descendant.
-"doesn't only produce grey foals, even with grey mares"; To me this shows a lack of knowledge colour genetics (or that they're hopping the owner of the mare has a lack of knowledge of colour genetics). Stallion is obviously heterozygous for grey, but if you cross him to a mare that is homozygous for grey, then the foal will be grey. Can't they just say that the stallion is heterozygous for grey?
If you crossed it with a percheron then what do you think the height limit is and for what purpose?
A cross like that doesn’t have a height limit.

What they mean by that is that if you were to breed it to an in height mare of the same breed then the foal is unlikely to go over the breed height limit.
Example breeding a 14.2hh connie mare to a 14.2hh connie stallion with that phrase you would feel more confident that the resulting foal won’t go over the breed limit of 14.2hh, though there is no garentee

Titchy Pony

Visit site
If you crossed it with a percheron then what do you think the height limit is and for what purpose?
A cross like that doesn’t have a height limit.

What they mean by that is that if you were to breed it to an in height mare of the same breed then the foal is unlikely to go over the breed height limit.
Example breeding a 14.2hh connie mare to a 14.2hh connie stallion with that phrase you would feel more confident that the resulting foal won’t go over the breed limit of 14.2hh, though there is no garentee
I was exaggerating a bit with the percheron, but if you were to cross to a Selle Français mare to hopefully produce a PFS foal, you would still need the foal to be no more than 148 if it were to compete in the pony jumping, dressage or eventing classes. I just found the sweeping generalisations about what their stallion produced misleading, especially as there was no mention to what you were supposed to be crossing him with. Over here, you wouldn't necessarily breed to the same breed for ponies as many crosses can give you a PFS.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Weird and fishy anonymous post on local FB group 😳.

I am considering opening end of life retirement home for horses and ponies. These horses and ponies will have been signed off by a vet to say in their welfare they are suitable for euthanasia when coming to my yard they will be looked after groomed treated and kept like kings and Queens for the period of time that you desire, or the horse is pain-free everything would be taken care of from from arrival to ashes being returned if you require daily updates or voice to not hear from us until your Pony has passed away this can be arranged. Please comment if you think there would be a need for this kind of retirement from Livery.

Who would offer this, and why?

SpeedyPony

Visit site

I am considering opening end of life retirement home for horses and ponies. These horses and ponies will have been signed off by a vet to say in their welfare they are suitable for euthanasia when coming to my yard they will be looked after groomed treated and kept like kings and Queens for the period of time that you desire, or the horse is pain-free everything would be taken care of from from arrival to ashes being returned if you require daily updates or voice to not hear from us until your Pony has passed away this can be arranged. Please comment if you think there would be a need for this kind of retirement from Livery.

That is bizarre and very suspect!

nutjob

Visit site

Because of the dodgy use of English I would suggest that this profile originates in an African country and you will be asked to forward a monetary payment before your horse can be considered for their so called retirement home. The signed off by the vet thing is clearly total none sense and indicates that they don't know what they are on about.

cauda equina

Visit site

I imagine the horse arriving, being pts pretty quickly and the owner being charged livery fees for years

Wishfilly

Visit site
A slightly weird one I've seen recently- Cob Gelding. The only real information in the ad is that it's a sad sale and his passported age may be incorrect. Obviously it's great to be upfront, but maybe give people a bit more to go on? I feel like there's an odd tone to the advert, and it may be a bit dodgy.

Separate advert for a pony with a history of abuse, doesn't load, has apparently bolted with her current owner (but "doesn't do this anymore"). Yes, she's a Connie, and may possibly come good for someone, but equally if she's genuinely bolted then 4k is surely excessive? I also feel sorry for the pony being passed on in this way.

Also a sad number of people selling older horses due to "change in circumstances".

exracehorse

Visit site
Ford A series horse box been stood for 25 years. Got keys but no logbook. It’s got a diesel engine in. Good for parts/restoration. Any questions please ask. Collection from isleham near mildenhall £1,150………. Surely you would need to pay someone to take it away ! You should see the other photos. It’s a wreck. Would cost a fortune to restore.

Attachments

• IMG_6688.jpeg
    IMG_6688.jpeg
    324.4 KB · Views: 176
Last edited:

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
Ford A series horse box been stood for 25 years. Got keys but no logbook. It’s got a diesel engine in. Good for restoration. Any questions please ask. Collection from isleham near mildenhall £1,150

Jesus christ, there is not one salvageable part on that thing.. What they want is to pay someone to come get it and scrap it!

Goldie's mum

Visit site
Ford A series horse box been stood for 25 years. Got keys but no logbook. It’s got a diesel engine in. Good for restoration. Any questions please ask. Collection from isleham near mildenhall £1,150………. Surely you would need to pay someone to take it away ! You should see the other photos. It’s a wreck. Wood cost a fortune to restore.
🤣🤣🤣
Please report back with the replies, they'll probably be amusing!

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site
or whether the ramp is easy to lift!

The trouble is how to word it so that you make it clear whether you're asking if the ramp is easy to lift, as in lift it to close the back of the lorry, or if you mean lift it because you're assuming it has fallen off and needs to be lifted up from the ground.

MurphysMinder

Visit site

Very dodgy !

Backtoblack

Visit site

I have a friend who is looking to provide an end of life livery service, it's for people who want to make an emotional break so the horse goes to my friends livery yard and lives there at full livery until it needs PTS,my friend already has two on the yard,the owner of one of them visits weekly,to be fair horse is only 20 and it's friends ill health as to why he's there but the intention is for the rest of his life. My friend looks after the liveries as if they are her own, she's very concientious. She'll deal with the vet and cremation if the owners want. Idea came, I think from another friend who sent her old pony away to a mutual friends farm so as to provide an emotional break and it also freed up a stable for her.pony lived on the farm for a few years ànd was PTS aged 37.

Clodagh

Visit site
I have a friend who is looking to provide an end of life livery service, it's for people who want to make an emotional break so the horse goes to my friends livery yard and lives there at full livery until it needs PTS,my friend already has two on the yard,the owner of one of them visits weekly,to be fair horse is only 20 and it's friends ill health as to why he's there but the intention is for the rest of his life. My friend looks after the liveries as if they are her own, she's very concientious. She'll deal with the vet and cremation if the owners want. Idea came, I think from another friend who sent her old pony away to a mutual friends farm so as to provide an emotional break and it also freed up a stable for her.pony lived on the farm for a few years ànd was PTS aged 37.
Well I think retirement livery is a weird concept… and that’s even weirder!

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
Another Vinted one. I love these. It's a rich source of content for this thread :D

A pair of I'd say completely past it country boots - ankles totally sagged, outside of the foot part looked wet like it has absorbed water so I'd eat a boot if it turned out they were even remotely waterproof, inside and outside looking pretty cruddy. Ad states in need of new soles too, 'hence price' of... £40!!

I know you can't get new ones for that price but really who is going to want to pay anything near that for a pair of boots that are ready for the bin!