Cheltenham

KautoStar1

Visit site
OK, I know we will do a thread for each day as it comes round, but to kick things off who are we most looking forward to seeing, what races look the most exciting, any bankers.

My biggest hope is as always, that horses and jockeys come home safe and sound.

I'm going to put it out there now. I think Samcro will get beaten.

Clodagh

Visit site
Being petty and small minded I hope Samcro gets beaten too.

One thing for me is this year there are no horses thast I will really stress about. Kauto Star I used to worry about so much, and Sprinter Sacre, I could hardly bear to watch them, but as I don't bet it made the racing more edge of your seat. Cue Card is a bit that way, but not as much as those two were.

I have the whole week off work but I am not so up on who is running this year, with my picking up really having taken off this year I haven't followed the early season novices as I normally would.

So for the big ones:
Buveur D'air
Black Corton RSA, Altior Champion Chase
Not so bothered on the Thursday, but I do like Yanworth as a horse, maybe each way?
Might Bite for the Gold Cup.

Visit site
There aren't really any stand out exceptional horses this year. All have questions to answer.

I suppose Buvuer D'air hasn't done anything wrong. Neither has Samcro.

I personally get bored of watching Willie Mullins and those hideous pink and lime green silks winning all the time.

Chiffy

Visit site
Me too EKW! I know it’s naughty but I never want the Irish to win except perhaps Jessica Harrington.
I will be holding my breath for Altior.
I think otherwise, rather than worrying about a favourite horse,I shall be hoping that the Briony Frost bubble doesn’t burst and that she rides just as well at the festival as she has all season so far. I hope the commentators don’t build her up too much but that is probably an empty hope!

Clodagh

Visit site
Me too EKW! I know it’s naughty but I never want the Irish to win except perhaps Jessica Harrington.
I will be holding my breath for Altior.
I think otherwise, rather than worrying about a favourite horse,I shall be hoping that the Briony Frost bubble doesn’t burst and that she rides just as well at the festival as she has all season so far. I hope the commentators don’t build her up too much but that is probably an empty hope!

Agreed about the Irish, and yes to Jessica Harrington, she always seems so nice.

MyBoyChe

Visit site
Week off work booked, Monday will be spent stocking the fridge with nibbles and then sit back and enjoy. Dont bet and dont have any bankers but would like to see Might Bite win and Bryony do well. Cant wait, its my annual holiday :)

Mariposa

Visit site
I am SO excited! I'm on maternity leave so I get to watch the whole thing for once! Hurrah! Only downside is that I'm not attending any Preview evenings this year, which I will miss!

I'm really looking forward to seeing Slate House in the first, I have a horse-crush on him big time! It the going is sloppy its going to be very interesting - it should be ideal for Native River in the GC.

And whilst at risk of sounding like a total fangirl for the Tizzards, I am keeping everything crossed Cue Card gets home safely in the Ryanair.

photo_jo

Visit site
There aren't really any stand out exceptional horses this year. All have questions to answer.

I suppose Buvuer D'air hasn't done anything wrong. Neither has Samcro.

I personally get bored of watching Willie Mullins and those hideous pink and lime green silks winning all the time.

To be fair at the moment it's more the maroon and white of Gigginstown! Please make an exception for Getabird-I want the 'hideous pink and lime green' ahead in the Supreme Novices!

Visit site
To be fair at the moment it's more the maroon and white of Gigginstown! Please make an exception for Getabird-I want the 'hideous pink and lime green' ahead in the Supreme Novices!

That's true! It's funny no one ever has such a grudge against the Green and Gold of McManus nor the Green and White of Hemmings - because both are such nice guys! But the outrageous, outspoken ones? People kind of begrudge them the success in a way.

Personally for the Gold Cup I would LOVE to see Edwulf pull something out of the bag. Not only because of what happened to him last year at Cheltenham, nor for his 50/1 win in the Irish Gold Cup but because he is the maternal half brother of a horse I ride at work!

AdorableAlice

Visit site
In the next seven days only two are forecast to be dry. Cheltenham drains well but it will be soft if the weather forecast is correct. Hopefully that will help to lessen injury.

I would love to see Edwulf win.

photo_jo

Visit site
Personally for the Gold Cup I would LOVE to see Edwulf pull something out of the bag. Not only because of what happened to him last year at Cheltenham, nor for his 50/1 win in the Irish Gold Cup but because he is the maternal half brother of a horse I ride at work!

My sister bred Getabird!

{97702}

Visit site
Always amazes me when people get so excited about Cheltenham - it is just an inconvenience with loads of incomers around here :D

Visit site
Lévrier;13736685 said:
Always amazes me when people get so excited about Cheltenham - it is just an inconvenience with loads of incomers around here :D

Do what any sensible person does - go stay with a relative or friend for the week for the peace and quiet to watch the racing and rent your house out for £1k for the week on Air BnB!

Fools Motto

Visit site
I would love to see Black Corton win the RSA and Politologue win the QM (although Altior looks unbeatable). oh, and Pacha Du Polder do well in the hunter chase.
I'm sure Mite Bite will win the GC.

Dobiegirl

Visit site
I havent really sat down and gone through the cards but would love Native River to win the GC, also Black Orton with Briony Frost in the RSA. I just hope Giggenstown doesnt clean up apart from Apples Jade. Wouldnt it be wonderful if The New One won the stayers. I dont bet either just love the whole thing, I dont go anymore as you see far more on tv.

Does anyone banking on Footpad think it strange that he has drifted in the betting even though the owners have issued a statement(well their agent) saying they have had positive reports from Willie Mullins, Is there smoke without fire?

Clodagh

Visit site
I wouldn't trust anything WM or RR said about a local goat, let alone one of their horses. I hope they don't win anything!

bonny

Visit site
I wouldn't trust anything WM or RR said about a local goat, let alone one of their horses. I hope they don't win anything!

I for one hope they do well, I don’t get this dislike of the big owners, without them spending millions buying and training their horses we wouldn’t have racing how it is....Cheltenham is what it is because all the big horses finally meet and champions are made. I hope they do well particularly his stars .....

photo_jo

Visit site
I for one hope they do well, I don’t get this dislike of the big owners, without them spending millions buying and training their horses we wouldn’t have racing how it is....Cheltenham is what it is because all the big horses finally meet and champions are made. I hope they do well particularly his stars .....

Agree 100%, for racing and all equestrian disciplines. Without the big owners we'd all feel the fall out.

Visit site
It's not the owners and their wads of cash that annoy us! We love their money! It's their personalities we don't like! If everyone like the same thing live would be very boring! There's more than one flavour of ice cream so there is something for everyone!

Personally I quite like Willie Mullins but dislike RR. I like Gordon Elliot and I actually admire the O'Leary's because of their outspoken views.

I don't like Colin Tizard much, nor do I like Barry Geraghty but others love them both.

Each to their own!

{97702}

Visit site
Do what any sensible person does - go stay with a relative or friend for the week for the peace and quiet to watch the racing and rent your house out for £1k for the week on Air BnB!

I think it would probably cost me the £1k to sort out the effects of a week of drunken racegoers in my house..... :D :D

Mariposa

Visit site

This made me snort with laughter!

I don't actually mind WM, its Giggenstown I'm not so mad about.

I'd LOVE The New One is win the Stayers, wouldn't it be lovely?

KautoStar1

Visit site
It's not the owners and their wads of cash that annoy us! We love their money! It's their personalities we don't like! If everyone like the same thing live would be very boring! There's more than one flavour of ice cream so there is something for everyone!

Personally I quite like Willie Mullins but dislike RR. I like Gordon Elliot and I actually admire the O'Leary's because of their outspoken views.

I don't like Colin Tizard much, nor do I like Barry Geraghty but others love them both.

Each to their own!

WE ?? We love their money but not their personalities ?? I'm not sure I'd be very happy if I were your employer at you making such public statements. If Ms Russell is looking to attract new owners she wont want a member of her staff slagging off wealthy and influential owners on a public forum. What about if you need to be finding another job sometime. You've slagged off quite a few people in the past - other trainers, jockeys. Best hope it doesn't catch you out.

popsdosh

Visit site
WE ?? We love their money but not their personalities ?? I'm not sure I'd be very happy if I were your employer at you making such public statements. If Ms Russell is looking to attract new owners she wont want a member of her staff slagging off wealthy and influential owners on a public forum. What about if you need to be finding another job sometime. You've slagged off quite a few people in the past - other trainers, jockeys. Best hope it doesn't catch you out.

I try not to comment on racing threads now as generally there is far to much bitching about Trainers and owners. Im afraid you have to be more open minded because in NH would be a lot poorer if it was not for Gigginstown ,JP McManus,Willie Mullins and RR etc. They all pump in huge amounts of money that racing badly needs. Everybody used to hate MartinPipe in his hey day however he brought inovation into racing that changed it. Its similar on the flat with the Maktoums without them what would racing be.
Now for Cheltenham be wary because unless they get some reasonable rain and then dries it will ride really dead due to the recent freeze so stamina will be at a premium!