chestnut mares

jensheff26

Visit site
iv just bought a 16hh idxtb shes a chestnut mare is it me or do people tend to avoid them iv always had greys so its the first one iv had whats everyones opinion of them

d_s

Visit site
now ive had one, i will always try get one; even though mum doesnt want me to ever get another chestnut horse or another mare

but im like addicted to them

if there good there really good....

Cop-Pop

Visit site
I've got one and she's fab - a real sweetie
smile.gif

jensheff26

Visit site
some people have said to me oh no a chestnut mare hope you got armour. ok shes a bit tetchy when i pull her girth up but so is my grey. just wondered if there known for being a bit more flighty

Ravenwood

Visit site
I have two chestnut mares and they are like chalk and cheese. Trixie is the sweetest, kindest little horse you could wish for, kids can climb all over and under her and she stands there with a smile on her face.

Lottie on the other hand is what I would consider to be more of a typical chestnut mare - she is a one person horse and loves me but is simply not interested in anyone else. If you walked up to her stable door today she would pull horrible faces at you but never does to me. I can do anything with her but wouldn't leave a child alone with her.

I love them and would have another two tomorrow
smile.gif
I think that once you bond with them there is nothing like it
smile.gif

Mabel98

Visit site
I've got the sweetest chestnut mare. Never puts her ears back and is always pleased to see you. She can get a bit uptight but would do anything for you, 100% genuine

3Beasties

Visit site
I've got one and at times she can be a little madam but she makes up for this by trying her hardest to please the people close to her. I wouldn't swap her for the world!!

My little girly
laugh.gif

CIMG3982.jpg

chickeninabun

www.wix.com
I have the grumpiest, moodiest, bad tempered, bossiest chestnut mare ever
smirk.gif
, but she's an absolute saint with my 5 yo daughter. Trying tacking her up and she spins round and pulls faces at you
crazy.gif
but put a child on board and she just switches into "work" mode
laugh.gif
. My siggie has a pic of her first time on a beach (first time in 29 years!
smirk.gif
) with my tot. I wish I was light enough to ride her but she'd probably just tank off with me like a cow-bag!!
grin.gif

lucythomas

Visit site
i think they have a massive bad rep. But of all the chestnut mares iv come across there was only one who was a complete cow & i think that was just her!! Bay or grey, she would have been an old bag!! What do you expect from a chestnut mare called Gonzo!! There are numerous chestnut mares iv come across Id have been priviledged to own. Quiet, kind & would try their heart out for you. An old wives tale if u ask me!

claireelizabeth

Visit site
I've got 2 and I love them both, they're fab, they love their work and are very polite. They can have their moments but no more than any other horse or pony. The little one can be a bit more of a handful when she's in season but nothing too traumatic

Tamba

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
iv just bought a 16hh idxtb shes a chestnut mare is it me or do people tend to avoid them iv always had greys so its the first one iv had whats everyones opinion of them

[/ QUOTE ]
I would have any colour, (never had a chesnut mare, but wouldnt not buy one, just because of colour!)

beckiebeckyboo

Visit site
people definatly dont look if its a chestnut mare, we sell a few horses and people always pull faces when they see my chestnut mare!! who i have to say i wouldnt sell shes a star!!! there loss i feel, you'll get as many bad bay geldings as chestnut mares, but people can be very narrow minded

FAB_FERN

Visit site
I think its just too easy to blame a 'misunderstud' horse on its colour. I've been lucky to be owned by 3 different Chestnut mares. One true to her name but if she trusted you she would do anything for you, another who was just a little minx and young and VERY clever, learn't things very quick good or bad. When I bought her I was told judges wouldn't like her because she was chestnut with 4 whites and blaze and its unlucky???? Funny how she did so well in her 1st ever ridden show and then I sold her in one day of advertising her online.
The other is the sweetest most loving mare with a great sense of humour who still owns me and alsways will.

A friend of mine has a very tempremental mare who can be dangerous if you don't know how to handle her but is also very talented. She isn't chestnut so it can't be blamed on that. She is bay and obviously just quirky. If she was GINGER she would be 'oh that chestnut mare, she's so typical of her colour i'd never have one of those'

jensheff26

Visit site
thanks everyone i had a feeling it was just a old wives tale heres a pic of my new baby just for you all to see shes 15 but still really forward going with a awsome jump on her my daughters impressed anyway
DSC02797.jpg

Tharg

Visit site
I share a gorgeous Chestnut Mare.

I'd love to change her passport name to 'Practically Perfect in Every Way' Might be too long though!

Charmaine18

Visit site
We've got four chestnut mares at the riding school, three of them are very "true to type" - horrible little ponies, lay their ears back at everyone, will barge out of a gate disregarding anyone in their way, and will take advantage completely of a novice rider. The fourth is lovely, the safest confidence-giver we have, and is mainly used for RDA because she's so quiet and gentle. We joke about the three nasty chestnut mares, but in reality I don't think colour would ever put me, or anyone else at my yard, off a horse.

skint1

Visit site
I know at least 3 chestnut mares; IDx, a Welsh D and a TB.

The IDx is a perfect angel, the Welsh D can be bossy and the TB mare can be very sensitive under saddle but perfect on the ground, she was a brood mare before my friend got her, not long back in work.

When my friend went to view the chestnut TB some of her horsey acquaintances told her they would never consider a chestnut mare and they meant it, but they are the only people I have ever heard of who took this seriously.

Achinghips

Visit site
My TB is a chestnut mare, she's true to TB type, very sensitive and so voice trained,bit flighty/spooky, but generally safe but that's the TB, I think,not the chestnut.
Gentle, no malice at all.

Grey_Showjumper

Visit site
We have one- she is a total biatch
blush.gif
to everyone apart from me!
confused.gif
lol...
shes also a TB!
grin.gif

but she makes up for it by being insane at polo
smile.gif

i probably wouldn't buy another one as she is a total madam, who spins and bucks!
blush.gif
bad horse
tongue.gif
grin.gif

apes_mum

Visit site
I've always owned chestnut mares. Love them.
Tbh I can't really believe people still think colour effects temperament.
I don't tjhnk it makes any difference whatsoever what colour you horse is.
A good horse is good whatever the colour!!
I've known some evil ones in my time, and most were bay!
Think it's just personal preference.
Be proud of your chestnut lovely and ignore and silly comments!!
grin.gif

H x

Bowen4Horses

www.poppywebber.co.uk
[ QUOTE ]
Do you think people really don't look if it is a chestnut mare for sale? Maybe that's why ours hasn't sold
frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

i wouldn't go and view a chestnut mare, even if it looked perfect... i know each horse differs etc... i just have a strange sort-of phobia of mares... and especially chestnut ones... i rode one for my friend once... and whilst she was well behaved most of the time, i rode really tense because all i could think about was the fact she was a chestnut mare... i'm sure she picked up on my fear of her... so soon started behaving like a loon (thereby confirming my fear...)

god, now i've written that down, i feel like a twit...
blush.gif