CLARE BALDING RUINS IT FOR WOMEN PRESENTERS...

CalllyH

Visit site
In a poll of the Olympic presenters and how well they have done shes come out as one of the best.

She was disappointing at not presenting the eventing but did a sterling job at the swimming.

Slightly Foxed

Visit site
Perhaps she fancied you. She's ever the opportunist, or so I understand

Alec.[/QUOTE]

what a snide remark! Where did you hear that? Twenty fifth hand I suppose from someone who knew her grandmother's cat?

philamena

Visit site
Perhaps she fancied you. She's ever the opportunist, or so I understand. ;)

Sounds like classic "is gay and therefore must be insatiable" ignorance to me. A common affliction circa somewhere mid 20th century but now thankfully most of humankind have evolved out of...

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
I wonder why she was assigned swimming instead of equestrian and outside sport? She has done a great job. She means what she asks, rather than the usual "are you pleased you won/gutted you didn't?" that some of the other muppets have come out with. Probably why the teeth comment came out!!

philamena

Visit site
I wonder why she was assigned swimming instead of equestrian and outside sport? She has done a great job. She means what she asks, rather than the usual "are you pleased you won/gutted you didn't?" that some of the other muppets have come out with. Probably why the teeth comment came out!!

Problem is, when you're universally good it's understandable you'll get hauled off to do something higher profile. Much as we love our sport, more people watch the swimming so made sense for the BBC. (And have to say, Clare, Ian Thorpe and Mark Foster were a brilliant combo.

Completely agree on your assessment of why she's good - natural, so yes, that prob is why the teeth thing came out, no guard up! :)

teapot

Visit site

Apparently she's now freelance for the BBC and given she's doing the Para coverage for channel 4 and the BBCs' lack of racing next year, makes me wonder whether she'll leave properly.

I think she's fantastic! Knows her stuff for a start.

Sam_J

Visit site
I think Clare is great! I cannot understand why she was shunted off doing swimming etc and not used for any of the equestrian stuff?:confused:

Alec Swan

Visit site
The sort of remark we would expect from a cretin!

I'm so pleased that I haven't disappointed you! :D

As you've chosen to ignore the remainder of my thoughts, so I have treated you in the same manner, which is a shame, because like you, I think that she's currently, perhaps the best equine presenter that the BBC has.

Alec.

HBM1

Visit site
i think she is brilliant, she was so ruddy knowledgable with the swimming commentary and you just know it is because she studied hard to gain the information needed. I would much rather have Clare Balding hosting than some of the brainless mantwits they have one....Adrian Chiles for one, Gary Lineker for another. Clare is a true professional and she has apologised for her comment re the teeth over and over and was truly mortified when she realised they hadn't fallen out due to riding accidents.

Edited to add, Clare with Ian Thorpe was one of the highlights of the games for me

Last edited:

pootleperkin

Visit site
Love her - intelligent, informed, emotive and quite capable of injecting a witty aside :)

Loved her slightly sticky initial banter with the Thorpedo, which then evolved into something of a mutual admiration society (or so it seemed!)

wildoat

www.tophotos.co.uk
I'm so pleased that I haven't disappointed you! :D

As you've chosen to ignore the remainder of my thoughts, so I have treated you in the same manner, which is a shame, because like you, I think that she's currently, perhaps the best equine presenter that the BBC has.

Alec.
Disappointment is not the issue.
You should note I didn't call you a cretin, rather suggested the remark was as if from a cretin which we know you are not, frankly I was very surprised you stooped so low.
I agree with your other comments, just thought it was inappropriate you chose to make such a childish comment and I know you are thinking the same now even though I know you wouldn't admit it.

Having seen Clare working in an environment where she was mixing with the public she came across as an intelligent, considerate person who had time for everyone, she was a breath of fresh air compared with many presenters/celebrities whom I have encountered in the past.

Kind regards

tony

Brigadoon

Visit site
Clare is just a fab down to earth presenter. Racing won't be the same without her. She showed her very human side at the Derby with her brothers runner.
She always knows her stuff. She was easily the best presenter at the Olympics.
Her sexuality has nothing to do with her job. I hope Ch 4 snap her up for some coverage.

hairycob

Visit site
We thought Clare was great in our house. Non horsey OH was disappointed she wasn't doing the horsey stuff as she explains tings so well & as I was at work he did'nt have me to translate the comments!
But just who was that blonde who kept cropping up, she was truly dire. Sounded more like a not very good DJ larking about at a gig!

Alec Swan

Visit site

Having seen Clare working in an environment where she was mixing with the public she came across as an intelligent, considerate person who had time for everyone, she was a breath of fresh air compared with many presenters/celebrities whom I have encountered in the past.

Kind regards

tony

So if we agree on nothing else, are we at least on common ground when we discuss CB's professional and skilled approach to her work? :D

Can you see the parallels between my comment and CB's remarks to the young jockey who she embarrassed? The difference is that she regretted her remarks, and I don't regret mine! ;)

Again, I'll agree with you, she's a personable, likeable, and skilled presenter, and to be preferred to some others; you'll forgive me for not mentioning who, I'm in enough trouble now! :eek::D

Alec.

jenbleep

Visit site
I've never forgiven her for telling the jockey, who had just won the Grand National & must have been feeling on top of the world, to get his teeth fixed. A spur of the moment remark which showed her true colours.

Slightly worrying that you only remember the bad in people!! :(

jenbleep

Visit site
Clare Balding was just on the BBC talking about the equestrian events, I'm happy that she is the one representing!! She talked about how the Olympics has brought equestrian into the mainstream and has made non horsey people excited about it, and even dressage is now started to get understood! (or, the dancing horses :D )

She also talked about the 'lazy assumptions' of people thinking horse sport was only for the rich, and that there is a local London riding school who encourages inner city children to take up riding, so IT IS FOR EVERYONE

I love her!

ltoolan

Visit site
LOVE Clare Balding! Am hoping the BBC allow her to pop over to C4 to cover the Paralympic Dressage but I imagine her contract won't allow it. So sad the BBC have given up their horse racing coverage - nothing better than seeing a great presenter covering their favourite sports.

Judgemental

The Internet makes one's location irrelevant
Visit site
I think it is best written along the lines of a school report - at least when I went to school....

"Tries hard, has flashes of momentary brilliance but could do better".

However give me Emma Spencer any day on Channel 4, absolutely delightful, very pretty, jolly, never gets her facts or statistics wrong. Has a really good chemistry with all her co-presenters and commentators.

Owners, trainers and jockeys are all very pleased to see her and are able to relate in meaningful dialogue.

Just looking forward to the day I can afford to own a winner and she wants my opinion;)

Or to put it another way, where I to be asked for a comment about a horse I owned, Emma is the only interviever/commentator that I would trust and by whom I would be prepared to interviewed.

Here one has a very serious point, one has to trust the interviewer that they are not going to embarrass one or indeed ask a stupid question or a question to which one does not know the answer.

Last edited:

TelH

Visit site
Am hoping the BBC allow her to pop over to C4 to cover the Paralympic Dressage but I imagine her contract won't allow it. So sad the BBC have given up their horse racing coverage - nothing better than seeing a great presenter covering their favourite sports.

She is covering the paralympics for C4. If they've got any sense C4 will make her an offer she can't refuse to cover their racing too.