CLARE BALDING RUINS IT FOR WOMEN PRESENTERS...

Crugeran Celt

Visit site
I thought this post was going to be to bad mouth her forgive the pun:rolleyes:. I think she does an amazing job and is very informative without talking down to viewers.

Totally agree, she is very knowledgeable and so natural in front of the camera. I have started watching the racing just because she is presenting and makes it interesting with all the facts and figures she comes out with.

dRats

Visit site
Agree with all those pro-Clare......she's a total professional!
Another professional broadcaster has been Michal Hussein on the 10am stint....as far as I know she has no sport connection at all and is a news reader normally, but her sofa interviews of the previos day's heroes and others has been well researched and empathetic to both the athlete and the viewer,asking the right questions for us and allowing the athlete to say what they feel.

Luci07

Visit site
In defence of Alec, having read and enjoyed a lot of his posts, I took his comment re Claire fancying said poster as rather tongue in cheek!

I like Ms Balding. I have particularly enjoyed following her on twitter and thought she has done a great job. Matthew Pinsent is aother commentator I have enjoyed these games, hugely passionate about his sports and still following everything else...AND he seems to be always getting into hot water!

aimsymc

Visit site
Im another Claire fan!! Think shes great. Loved when the event team were being interviewed by GL and they let Claire speak to them from the pool, She said she could hardly speak as she was so emotional! :)

TBB

Visit site
I also think that Claire would be an asset to C4's racing coverage, I've nothing against Emma Spencer who knows her stuff but how about replacing the dreadful John McCririck (spelling) with Claire?

Clodagh

Visit site
I just hope C4 don't get rid of Alice Plunkett, I thinks she is great. CB lost my respect when she went on and on about how we couldn't celebrate anyone winning the National as a horse had died during the race. Well what did she think was going to happen!? That was last year I think, not this one.

Alec Swan

Visit site
I quite expected Alec to comeback and say it was tongue in cheek but he didnt, rather telling that.:rolleyes:

Can you see the parallels between my comment and CB's remarks to the young jockey who she embarrassed? The difference is that she regretted her remarks, and I don't regret mine! ;)
Alec.

Of course it was tongue-in-cheek. Why else would I berate someone who I don't know, or if I'm to be honest, care about? I assure you that there are far more people on here who I care about, than a TV personality with whom I've never had contact.

Those who stick their heads over parapets, get shot at, and that includes me. :D Perhaps I have something in common with Ms B! ;)

Alec.

Alec Swan

Visit site
....... but how about replacing the dreadful John McCririck (spelling) with Claire?

He really is a buffoon, isn't he?

I just hope C4 don't get rid of Alice Plunkett, I thinks she is great. .......

I'm with you. The girl's a shear delight.

It would be interesting to see how CB would progress under the tutelage of C4. She has undoubted skills, and I'd like to see her matched with C4 Racing. For the BBC, she currently supports Willy Carson, and I'm probably going to get into the most frightful trouble now, but the man's a simpering, giggly girl. CB's made of better stuff than that.

Alec.

Fantasy_World

Visit site
The 'getting your teeth fixed' comment was a follow on from a conversation she and the jockey had had previously...

I have to say, I'm her no.1 fan. She's brilliant!!!

I agree amymay she is brilliant and not just a female 'face' on TV, as those types really do annoy me.
She has horsey routes in racing from her father and uncle and is a sports journalist and presenter that I really admire.

TBB

Visit site
Whatever happens Alec, she won't be paired with "wee Willie" as no one else would give him a job!

Polotash

Visit site
Clare has been fantastic throughout the Olympics for equestrian sports even when she couldn't be live commentating herself at Greenwich she was there on twitter etc supporting it and backing it up. I know for a fact she's helped to encourage many non-horsey people to watch and get involved and for that I think we should all be grateful to her.

Ditto. Clare has been the best presenter EASILY throughout the games. So good in fact, they nicked her from eventing to be in the bl**dy aquatics centre, grrr!

silu

Visit site
Delighted for Claire. She wasn't too clever at presenting when she 1st started but she has improved through all recognition.She does her homework and I'll look forward to many happy hours watching CH4...your loss BBC.

madmav

Visit site
Claire Balding is a wonderful communicator and has a genuine passion for sport. She also seems to care more for what the viewing public is getting from her commentary than 'bigging herself up' on screen.
A handover between her and Sue Barker that I watched during Olympics saw Sue being rather catty to Claire. Perhaps she's worried about her job.
Oh and as for Alex's remark, yes she's in a civil partnership (with newsreader Alice Arnold) and no doubt utterly honourable, but no harm in having a look. She's welcome to fancy me, anyway!

ltoolan

Visit site
LOVE Clare Balding! Am hoping the BBC allow her to pop over to C4 to cover the Paralympic Dressage but I imagine her contract won't allow it. So sad the BBC have given up their horse racing coverage - nothing better than seeing a great presenter covering their favourite sports.

Yay! Announcement today that Clare's going to be heading up C4 - congratulations!!! x

cumbriamax

Visit site
she has been a brilliant presenter of London 2012- she appears to thoroughly research the sports she is presenting (equestrian or not - she knows her stuff)this can't be said for other tv presenters ie; Gabby Logan who was so wooden when talking about equestrianism on Olympics Tonight she had obviously done no research at all, don't get me wrong I like gabby but claire is better.

can't believe bbc have ditched equestrianism and racing and now they have lost claire to c4. RIP equestrian sport & horse racing on bbc:(:mad:

Alec Swan

Visit site

Unlikely, I suspect. He is high profile, there is a large section of support for him, and his presenting skills are undoubted, however awful he may be, in reality! A pity really!!

Regarding CB, I'm all for her joining C4, but if the report is entirely correct, I'd have my doubts as to whether she should actually head the team; in time probably, but from the outset, I'm not so sure. Still, we'll see, wont we?!

I suspect that C4 Racing draws the bulk of its viewers from the older section of television viewers, a section who are known to dislike change! To name but two, John Francomb and Alistair Down, are both highly professional and have a greater insight into racing than I suspect that CB has, and to chuck her in at the deep end, to head up the team, may well be a mistake. I shall none the less, be happy to eat my words. ;) Time will tell!

Alec.

Judgemental

The Internet makes one's location irrelevant
Visit site
Whoever the new outfit is that is running Channel 4, they have my best wishes and hope they do a good job, because they will become part of my life on a Saturday afternoon and other days, when I am not hunting.

However, please do stop this very annoying practice of 'doorstepping', owners, trainers and jockeys in the paddock.

It's nothing more than vain gloriousness, by association of the interviewer.

Folk do not want to be bothered by somebody sticking a microphone under their nose and asking a bunch of pointless questions that really make no difference to the outcome of the race.

Some of the trainers are very informative and are good on camera but generally it's all unnecessary and frankly somewhat boring.

Similarly the jockeys, some of whom can be quite amusing.

But then, one comes to the owners. Oh dear what a let down. Yes, I know without their money nothing would be possible but the people behind the money.......:rolleyes:

Some are so scruffy, over weight, inarticulate and I have yet to see an owner on camera who has made a good joke or a witty remark to make one laugh.:D

No seriously, this is meant to be entertainment and if interviewers are going to stick their microphone in somebody's face, at least make sure the end result is articulate, amusing and the person is reasonably presentably dressed.:eek:

That goes for owners accepting their prizes on camera as well.

Stilldreamin'

Visit site
Some of the trainers are very informative and are good on camera but generally it's all unnecessary and frankly somewhat boring.

Similarly the jockeys, some of whom can be quite amusing.

:)

I love when they interview with Ruby Walsh, especially when he's not in the mood. He's not afraid to be pretty short or downright sarcastic..! Really makes me laugh.

BTW- Hope the recovery is going ok and he'll be back in the saddle soon.

TrasaM

Visit site
I have to say, I'm her no.1 fan. She's brilliant!!!

Agree. ^
Claire had just found out that she had thyroid? cancer but had not wanted it made public. I can't even begin to imagine the chaos going in in her brain yet she had to remain calm and do her job. Totally forgivable in the circumstances I think.

TarrSteps

Visit site
Agree. ^
Claire had just found out that she had thyroid? cancer but had not wanted it made public. I can't even begin to imagine the chaos going in in her brain yet she had to remain calm and do her job. Totally forgivable in the circumstances I think.

I'm confused . . .the diagnosis was some time ago. She had one surgery in '09, and then a lymph node removed in '10 then received the all clear in January '11. I can't dig up any news that she's come out of remission and she could not have thyroid cancer again as she no longer has a thyroid gland.

She did continue working at the time and more power to her but unless you know something the rest of us don't (completely possible!) she is reported to be absolutely fine now.

philamena

Visit site
I'm confused . . .the diagnosis was some time ago. She had one surgery in '09, and then a lymph node removed in '10 then received the all clear in January '11. I can't dig up any news that she's come out of remission and she could not have thyroid cancer again as she no longer has a thyroid gland.

She did continue working at the time and more power to her but unless you know something the rest of us don't (completely possible!) she is reported to be absolutely fine now.

Think they're referring to the 'get your teeth fixed' incident rather than recent performance?