Climate change personal action!

palo1

Visit site
So a gentle 'action/recommendations' thread may be in order following the IPCC report 'Humanity is at Code Red'. If you have made changes, want to make changes or have sustainable recommendations for anything and everything equine or canine post it here so we can share personal, positive actions.

For starters: equine feed - check out what is in your horse feed and how it is produced and transported. Get in touch with your feed company and ask for more sustainable packaging or ingredients. UK produced feeds include grass nuts (check their country of origin though), lots of chaff, traditional sugar beet pellets, linseed, oats, barley and others.

Generally: Buy well, buy once; make that investment and avoid further purchases (expense, manufacturing pollution, packaging, transportation).

Rugs; can anyone find improved/ more sustainable materials produced? Try wool, cotton, bamboo or second hand rather than highly manufactured synthetics. Keep clean rather than wash synthetics as they release microfibres into the water source.

Rider clothing: a tricky one but there are natural materials available for breeches/jods and bamboo, wool and cotton arei great fibres for tops. High % cotton (which has it's own issues) is quite easily available for breeches and HY do a high % viscose (wood pulp) breeches. Most sportswear is horribly synthetic though lightweight and easy care. Recommendations on this front would be great! Tesco sell organic cotton skinny jeans which work for non-smart riding too.

It would be great to hear of recommendations or those who have set themselves a sustainability challenge :) Mine is to buy nothing new for myself or my equines for a year. Eek!

Bonnie Allie

Visit site
Wow - love this. We have really made a commitment since COVID to change our habits to make a personal difference. Until lockdown I don’t think I had realised that my consumerism had crept in over the last decade. It was a great pause to consider that I was at peak “stuff”.

Buy secondhand. The best saddlery still comes out of the UK. In the first lockdown in 2020 all you wonderful people cleaned out your tack and I got some lovely pieces sent to Australia. The best bit was the stories that often came with them.

Love some of the Facebook groups for secondhand gear as well.

Trying to get the plastic in our tack room to zero. I love the UK wooden backed brushes. Metal traditional hoofpicks. We make our own fly spray from natural oils.

Still many things we could do better, keen to hear what others are doing.

Zuzan

Visit site
Good thread..

Re sustainable rugs .. Bucas are making rugs out of recycled plastic.

And anyone contemplating using concrete for yard or stables etc there are recycled plastic mats that can be used instead .. with the added benefit that they allow water to drain through them also reducing flooding potential.

Feed .. feed straights and avoid anything with Soya in it.

palo1

Visit site
Yes, matting that allows surface water to drain effectively rather than run off is good! Rugs can be tricky as the recycled plastic rugs are expensive. But I think buy well, buy once and keep clean and mended is also a good action. We use knackered old, ripped rugs for repairs which gets a bit more life out of them too.

Kaylum

Visit site
Fast fashion companies churning out the latest colours. These companies have no ethics and are making money without having an environmental policy in place. Indian leather, plastic bottles, over production. Did you know you can buy blocks of shampoo for horses and dogs.

Buy from charities they get lots of good second hand and new products. Have a clear out of your horse things and send it onto them.

We have a rug recycling scheme.
Some people have said they have burnt their old rugs.

Plant trees they help with drainage and absorb carbon.

southerncomfort

Visit site
Thanks for starting this thread Palo.

I think I'm pretty good on most fronts (no new breechesuntil the last ones have fallen apart!), but I'm guilty of buying a new rug rather than washing and reproofing because the cost is around the same these days.

Miss_Millie

Visit site
I don't have horses in my life at the moment :)() but if I did, these are some considerations I would be making:

Clothing - the 'trend' at the moment seems to be tight fitting, lycra matchy matchy type stuff. Remember that the majority of these clothes are going to have been made in the Far East for an absolute pittance, by workers who have very few rights. Unless the sustainability credentials are proven by the company, you can bet it is 'fast fashion', the same as most other clothes for sale these days. These pieces are all made from plastic too, which will shed micro plastics into the ocean when you wash them.

Alternative - buy 2nd hand and look to wear only natural fabrics rather than synthetic ones. I found some 2nd hand 100% cotton jods on eBay a few years ago, a well known brand they would have cost £90 new and only cost me £8, plus they had hardly been worn :) Nice cotton or linen tops to go with and wool jumpers for the winter.

Boots - Go for 2nd hand leather rather than plastic. I am vegetarian so I bought plastic ones in the past, but they fall apart really quickly and can't be fixed or maintained like leather boots can, so they had to go to landfill. At least with leather you can take it to Timpsons or similar to be mended and maintain the surface easily with polish/conditioner.

Generally, to only buy what I need, and to try and make those purchases 2nd hand more often than not. This is my general rule in life (outside of horses) and it has saved me a lot of money not buying everything brand spanking new from the shops. E.g. got a really nice ceiling light shade from a charity shop for £1, similar ones selling online for £50+

palo1

Visit site
Thanks for starting this thread Palo.

I think I'm pretty good on most fronts (no new breechesuntil the last ones have fallen apart!), but I'm guilty of buying a new rug rather than washing and reproofing because the cost is around the same these days.

Yes I know :( Ripped, filthy old rugs are a real PITA and expensive to fix. I have found that by buying 1200 D rugs with stainless steel fittings only they last longer and cost less. I clean and re-proof ours rather than send them off but not everyone has time or inclination for that. We keep old turnout rugs so we can use the 'good' bits to make repairs/patches and of course the fittings can be re-used. Second hand clean rugs are a good compromise I reckon and hopefully more companies will buy into the tech that can make recycled plastic rugs. I haven't bought new fleece anything for 2 years now due to the microfibres issue and I do keep an eye out for wool and cotton. Bamboo has real promise actually but there are not, to my knowledge, companies making bamboo cooler rugs - I really wish there was though!!

Miss_Millie

Visit site
Something that bothered me on the last yard I was on - the outdoor school surface was replaced from a sand mix to chopped up carpet fibres. As most carpet in this country is made from polyester, I'm going to assume it was 100% pieces of shedded plastic.

Said school was right next to an open drain, which the chunks would undoubtedly wash down when it rained. Plus it all got stuck in the horses' hooves and then would get picked out and chucked on the muck heap, thus also going onto the fields.

I can't understand why anyone would think using such material is a good idea, no matter how well it drains!

palo1

Visit site
I don't have horses in my life at the moment :)() but if I did, these are some considerations I would be making:

Clothing - the 'trend' at the moment seems to be tight fitting, lycra matchy matchy type stuff. Remember that the majority of these clothes are going to have been made in the Far East for an absolute pittance, by workers who have very few rights. Unless the sustainability credentials are proven by the company, you can bet it is 'fast fashion', the same as most other clothes for sale these days. These pieces are all made from plastic too, which will shed micro plastics into the ocean when you wash them.

Alternative - buy 2nd hand and look to wear only natural fabrics rather than synthetic ones. I found some 2nd hand 100% cotton jods on eBay a few years ago, a well known brand they would have cost £90 new and only cost me £8, plus they had hardly been worn :) Nice cotton or linen tops to go with and wool jumpers for the winter.

Boots - Go for 2nd hand leather rather than plastic. I am vegetarian so I bought plastic ones in the past, but they fall apart really quickly and can't be fixed or maintained like leather boots can, so they had to go to landfill. At least with leather you can take it to Timpsons or similar to be mended and maintain the surface easily with polish/conditioner.

Generally, to only buy what I need, and to try and make those purchases 2nd hand more often than not. This is my general rule in life (outside of horses) and it has saved me a lot of money not buying everything brand spanking new from the shops. E.g. got a really nice ceiling light shade from a charity shop for £1, similar ones selling online for £50+

Yes, all of this!! Wool, cotton, bamboo, leather at least will degrade and whilst there is pollution associated with their manufacture they won't shed microplastics. Some wool is 'better' than others too and lots of the supermarkets now sell organic cotton jeans/jeggings etc which are loads more sustainable than a lot of fast fashion.

Cotton jods & breeches are not hard to find from most of the major companies either. Fleece & softshell are not great but waxed cotton is more sustainable and wool is an incredible material which can often replace fleece for humans,

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
RE rugs, going back to New Zealands (waxed cotton canvas, with wool lining, cotton webbing leg straps and leather buckle strap) jute stable rugs (again with wool lining & leather buckle strap) and wool day rugs would much more environmentally sound. If you used silk as an anti rub bib, then apart from the metal fittings (which could be removed for metal recycling or reused) everything would rot down once unusable.

The issue is that modern synthetic rugs are nicer to use and rub the horses less... it will be hard to encourage people to essentially take a step backwards.

I haven't bought a synthetic fleece (for me or the horse) for years but I do still have the ones that I already own. :( Not sure what to do with them apart from wash as little as possible?

Wellington boots. I guess that natural rubber ones are better. I'll have to look carefully when I buy a new pair.

What about buckets? Would the recycled tyre ones be best for new purchases? What about water buckets? I can remember having a galvanised metal one years ago but I haven't seen a proper horse one of those for a while... well years.

laura_nash

towercottage.weebly.com
Sorry, but the promotion of the idea that taking personal responsibility by buying a different brand or not buying a new rug will make any kind of difference is just the latest stalling tactic to avoid the government and big business making the changes that are needed.

Not saying it's not a good thing to buy better produced or more sustainable products, but it won't make any difference to the climate crisis at this point.

If you want to do something that will actually make a difference, vote for the Green Party. They don't need to win for that to change things, just look at UKIP.

Miss_Millie

Visit site
Sorry, but the promotion of the idea that taking personal responsibility by buying a different brand or not buying a new rug will make any kind of difference is just the latest stalling tactic to avoid the government and big business making the changes that are needed.

Not saying it's not a good thing to buy better produced or more sustainable products, but it won't make any difference to the climate crisis at this point.

If you want to do something that will actually make a difference, vote for the Green Party. They don't need to win for that to change things, just look at UKIP.

I completely agree. I still think it's good to be aware of the 'little things' and to try and take small actions, even if they only make a speck of a difference, but you are completely right that we are SO beyond individual actions being the solution. This was discussed in the IPCC thread :)

palo1

Visit site

You are right in that well meaning people in developed countries 'doing their bit' won't make enough difference BUT we do all need to all take some personal responsibility for our consumption and pollution. It is important in a number of ways. BUT yes, radical political change and a change in cultural and political values is needed urgently. One of the ways to achieve that is through personal action which provides support for that change. Just my view obviously but I have been trying to educate myself and address my own contribution to over-consumption and pollution so I think it is meaningful to do these things and talk about them.

Labaire

Visit site

but ramping down our consumerism-especially in one that is a luxury hobby anyway-can only be a good thing surely?

palo1

Visit site
but ramping down our consumerism-especially in one that is a luxury hobby anyway-can only be a good thing surely?

I think so. The equestrian market is pretty big in the UK. More than that, taking personal action on the issue of climate change signals a shift in values which is hugely powerful potentially. This is what has made a difference in lots of political and cultural spheres. Personal action does matter and it seems mad to me to ignore our own consumption, pollution and waste in what is a luxury hobby (for most of us) because of a sense of futility and the need for more profound change.

Kaylum

Visit site

Well if we all try to play apart we can at least get companies to change their packaging.

Plastic has its place but is also over used. You don't need a political party to encourage personal responsibility. Fast fashion has got stupid.

There was a massive campaign about plastic straws from takeaways only to see its OK to still use plastic lids on the drinks cups.

As said we have a rug recycling point that would otherwise go into landfill or be burnt.

GinaGeo

Visit site
I try very hard to buy the best and but it once. Second hand if possible.

Rambo turnout rugs are mega and last.

I don’t get carried away by latest trends, I don’t do matchy matchy and my saddlecloths are worn until they die. Many are pushing 15yrs old now.

I feed British grown chaffs and grass nuts, with British grown linseed. I use supplements that don’t come in plastic pots.

My biggest issue is with the Haylage and the plastic wrap that comes with it. I haven’t got storage space for hay. It is however grown in my village so is at least local.

I also try and manage my land in a way that builds the permaculture and traps carbon.

All little things, but it does add up.

DiNozzo

Visit site

But given that the Green Party aren't in every seat, this is a way that individuals can help.

Also, companies want to make profit. If there are companies producing stuff sustainably and at a price point we (as a community) can afford, why not make the effort? It will reduce the bottom line of companies producing badly sourced items which may make them change how and what they produce.

Zuzan

Visit site

I agree governments must lead.

And just to say Scotland has a govt where the SGP are now in government .. But I guess this is a good argument for electoral reform as where you have a more proportional electoral system smaller parties do much better and governments better represent the actual votes.

I still think that we've reached a tipping point where behavioural change will be critcial in achieving net zero .. and governments want their electorates to support what is going need to be a major shift in economic strategy.

Labaire

Visit site
If people wanted, really wanted to end plastic packaging (for example) then it would be done-as a consumer base we are powerful (more powerful than the pitiful electoral system in England) but the vast majority dont want it enough and others simply can't afford to be choosy.

Consumer choice has driven major policy before in farming-just hasn't always been well-advised (veal for example, with veal crates being rightfully banned but now no market for even rose veal) and free range eggs (free range and organic farming of hens having its own issues) but its the industry thats had to suck up that massive cost from changes in hen housing because of consumer demands.

PurBee

Visit site
I try very hard to buy the best and but it once. Second hand if possible.

Rambo turnout rugs are mega and last.

I don’t get carried away by latest trends, I don’t do matchy matchy and my saddlecloths are worn until they die. Many are pushing 15yrs old now.

I feed British grown chaffs and grass nuts, with British grown linseed. I use supplements that don’t come in plastic pots.

My biggest issue is with the Haylage and the plastic wrap that comes with it. I haven’t got storage space for hay. It is however grown in my village so is at least local.

I also try and manage my land in a way that builds the permaculture and traps carbon.

All little things, but it does add up.

Do a google for ‘farmers plastic recycling uk’ - see if there is a government scheme, like here in ireland - where a company subsidised by the government go around at set venues, usually large pub carparks here! , on particular dates, for farmers to take all their silage wrap and plastic bags to. These plastics get melted-down and turned into (very expensive) plastic fence posts and the like.

I’ve had haylage wrapping for years build up, that i stuffed into plastic bags hoping to recycle them, and finally found out about the farmers plastic recycling scheme.

The general waste facilities/tips here don’t allow farmers plastic - maybe they allow it in the uk?

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Do a google for ‘farmers plastic recycling uk’ - see if there is a government scheme, like here in ireland - where a company subsidised by the government go around at set venues, usually large pub carparks here! , on particular dates, for farmers to take all their silage wrap and plastic bags to. These plastics get melted-down and turned into (very expensive) plastic fence posts and the like.

I’ve had haylage wrapping for years build up, that i stuffed into plastic bags hoping to recycle them, and finally found out about the farmers plastic recycling scheme.

The general waste facilities/tips here don’t allow farmers plastic - maybe they allow it in the uk?

There was a scheme being piloted (in Cumbria?) for using recylced farm plastic to mend roads. Our local roads are an absolute disgrace and I would love to donate our plastic bale wrap to such a scheme but i haven't been able to find one. Our wrap does go to the tip.
As for rugs, 'only use it if the horse really needs it' would be a good motto for a lot of people. We buy cheap Gallop rugs, which last for ages as we only use them in bad weather. Our horses lied out with a shelter all last winter without wearing a rug once. The 'match, matchy' fad of buying loads of stuff that horses neither need nor want all in the same colour could stop tomorrow but the companies are very good at marketing.

We don't use articial fertilisers or pest control on the land and have planted hedges to take up the water where the land was wet. We try not to cut down insect-friendly plants, when managing the land.

Away from the animals, I only buy organic fruit/veg and meat, with sustainably sourced fish and as many other organic products as possible, avoiding unnecessary ingredients, like preservatives and artificial colours. I think if everybody read the ingredients on food items that they buy, they might change their shopping habits. Internet shopping has made that much easier for me than standing in a supermarket trying to squint at labels at exactly the right angle to read the small print.

Last edited:

Zuzan

Visit site
We don't use articial fertilisers or pest control on the land and have planted hedges to take up the water where the land was wet. We try not to cut down insect-friendly plants, when managing the land.

This kind of management is really really key to what the equestrian community in general can do to support efforts for net zero.. hedges, trees, soil, grassland management are all not only key for carbon sequestration but will add biodiversity too.. plus hedges and trees provide really good bio shields against extreme weather and will help limit disease spread.. I am dreading seeing diseases that occasionally surface in Southern Europe making their way North.. Anything we do for biodiversity will also help mitigate climate crisis. The two go hand in hand.

I've found this spring and summer it bit scary ... exceptionally dry and one of the fields my horse is on is extremely thin soiled and has really really suffered.. It's been rested since this time last year and yet the grass is only a few centimetres in height even now..

windand rain

Visit site
I am a mean tight fisted beggar at the bet of time I plant tree grown from cuttings in every space I can find, grow most of my jungle garden from cuttings or small plants. Maintain the grass and remove poo manually feed the ponies grass and grass products which as far as I am aware are just about carbon neutral dont feed soya or eat it I eat simply and if possible locally grown or from my garden. I have 50 years of stuff so probaly buy one rug a year in a different size wont be trying second hand stuff off the internet though as it is a total fail for me. I am very suspicious of being scammed and don't put myself out for it if possible. I like quality over quantity and rarely buy new clothes for me they are usually threadbare before they are replaced. Tried bamboo knickers they are ultra comfortable but are probably not good in terms of manufacture or transport. Again probably not good for the environment as production cost environmetally will be high but only wear cotton denim or wool or ancient clothes or passed down from my kids so think I do my bit I avoid plastic in packaging where I can and recycle everything that it is possible to do

Last edited: