Climate change personal action!

FFAQ

Visit site
I'm on a tidy-up mission at my little yard and having collected nearly 100 knackered electric fence posts that hooligan cob has destroyed over the years, i have decided to stop buying the plastic ones and just bang in wooden ones from now on. If I have to move yards i'll just have to pull them up again. I did think the knackered plastic posts could be recycled as insulators if I screw them to the wooden posts...
I also bought a couple of pairs of eco jodhs this year and they are the most comfortable jodhs I have ever had.
The other change I made this year was to mulch poached and bare areas with any bits of old hay/shavings/straw/even horsehair and I have to say those areas are looking lovely now!

Antw23uk

Visit site
To combat climate change I am buying more mud control mats as the winters are only going to get worse

And i continue to tell people the human race is not endangered and therefore they really don't need to breed anymore! Over population is the cause of this mess and yet not many people are talking about the over breeding of the human race!

Peglo

Visit site
Until humans stop breeding so much I think nothing will make much real difference. There’s too many people to feed regardless if we’re all veggies or not. Of course we can all do a little to help but until the human population stops going up, the world will suffer.
The people in power only really care about money so I can’t see anything real happening to solve the issues.

edited to say I should likely write people WITH power more so than people in power.

Last edited:

paddy555

Visit site
And i continue to tell people the human race is not endangered and therefore they really don't need to breed anymore! Over population is the cause of this mess and yet not many people are talking about the over breeding of the human race!

I totally agree with you. However if you mention this to people, even on here, you are likely to get abuse.

Gift Horse

Visit site
The over population argument troubles me. I think luxurious lifestyles are as much/more of a problem. The planet can’t support lots of people who eat lots of luxury food, fly frequently, own private cars, consume fast fashion, own horses, big houses..... but it can support lots more people if they are living a low impact life.

emilylou

Visit site
Not an idea that will I can implement but I have thought for a long time, why don’t we build actually affordable homes? I mean tiny homes built with sustainable materials that are suitable for one person, roughly the size of a horse lorry. Small bedroom, small living area/kitchen, small utility/bathroom and some outside space. You could put a load of them in a small area and sell them for under £100k or rent them at an affordable rate. It would help out those who are struggling with rent/can’t afford to buy and would be a lot more sustainable than these monstrous estates of tarmac and red brick that are popping up everywhere. As far as I know, no one is doing it.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Not an idea that will I can implement but I have thought for a long time, why don’t we build actually affordable homes? I mean tiny homes built with sustainable materials that are suitable for one person, roughly the size of a horse lorry. Small bedroom, small living area/kitchen, small utility/bathroom and some outside space. You could put a load of them in a small area and sell them for under £100k or rent them at an affordable rate. It would help out those who are struggling with rent/can’t afford to buy and would be a lot more sustainable than these monstrous estates of tarmac and red brick that are popping up everywhere. As far as I know, no one is doing it.

We have homeless pods here which I think would cover what you are describing :) space wise, will go check sustainability ;).

0_MicroHomes.jpg

cauda equina

Visit site
How about these?
https://www.container-housing.co.uk/

The Irish Draft 2022

Visit site
I find people like you hypocrite you probably drive to your yard , light a fire in the winter , buy you clothes from penny’s. probably shower for more than 5 minutes and let not get into washing rugs. Before you b## about others look at yourself . I actually pick up rubbish form the beaches and towns and recycle ♻️ it and a big group of us do it and I campaign to get more bins to prevent people from littering.

DiNozzo

Visit site
Penny's is the original name for Primark still used in Ireland (maybe just N. Ireland?).

The thread is talking about easy, simple ways that us equestrians can reduce our environmental impact. Doing litter picks and recycling is great @The Irish draft, but it doesn't negate the waste of fast fashion and seasonal colours. Especially when as Milliepops said, there are better ways to buy and improve your horses wardrobe through selling on/buying second hand.

There is no one solution to this. There are lots of actions that lots of people can (and need to) take to improve the outlook the planet.

Winters100

Visit site
I was thinking about this while I was looking in the tack room today. I have so much more 'stuff' than I used to. I also realised how the variety available has fuelled this, I have loads of headcollars that i have received as gifts, while in the past they were just usable items which were replaced when they were broken, not because someone saw a pretty one and thought I would like it. Same goes for wraps, fleeces etc - I rarely buy them for myself, but I have loads.

Last night we discussed how we could as a family reduce our impact on the environment. So far we have agreed:
We will be vegan 4 days a week, with a view to increasing it later. We will be flexible on eggs as we buy them from an old lady in the village who needs the money, they are truly free range and I am using the same egg boxes for about the last 2 years.
The children will cycle rather than ask to be driven if their trip is less than 5km and in daylight
I cannot cycle to the yard, but minimum 3 days a week I will leave my car at a friend's house, which is about halfway there, and will cycle the rest of the way
Daughter is tasked with investigating environmentally friendly versions of shampoo etc
We will all try to limit our water consumption by being quick in the shower. Thermostat will be lowered and we will only turn it up when we are truly cold.
Instead of lots of Christmas presents each family member will choose something which they really want, and which will last, and will receive money towards it.

Any other ideas welcome.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I find people like you hypocrite you probably drive to your yard , light a fire in the winter , buy you clothes from penny’s. probably shower for more than 5 minutes and let not get into washing rugs. Before you b## about others look at yourself . I actually pick up rubbish form the beaches and towns and recycle ♻️ it and a big group of us do it and I campaign to get more bins to prevent people from littering.

Well good for you! You don't know anything at all about Kaylum, it's all 'probably' and you have no basis for your assumptions. There is no need for posts like this.
I know nothing about Kaylum either but i know that you post unpleasantly.

palo1

Visit site
I was thinking about this while I was looking in the tack room today. I have so much more 'stuff' than I used to. I also realised how the variety available has fuelled this, I have loads of headcollars that i have received as gifts, while in the past they were just usable items which were replaced when they were broken, not because someone saw a pretty one and thought I would like it. Same goes for wraps, fleeces etc - I rarely buy them for myself, but I have loads.

Last night we discussed how we could as a family reduce our impact on the environment. So far we have agreed:
We will be vegan 4 days a week, with a view to increasing it later. We will be flexible on eggs as we buy them from an old lady in the village who needs the money, they are truly free range and I am using the same egg boxes for about the last 2 years.
The children will cycle rather than ask to be driven if their trip is less than 5km and in daylight
I cannot cycle to the yard, but minimum 3 days a week I will leave my car at a friend's house, which is about halfway there, and will cycle the rest of the way
Daughter is tasked with investigating environmentally friendly versions of shampoo etc
We will all try to limit our water consumption by being quick in the shower. Thermostat will be lowered and we will only turn it up when we are truly cold.
Instead of lots of Christmas presents each family member will choose something which they really want, and which will last, and will receive money towards it.

Any other ideas welcome.

Cor!! Full on personal actions Winters100. :) :) I find it astonishingly hard to make those sorts of changes so I am full of admiration. So far this summer I have spent ages repairing an old wooden box (which I love) which was really on it's last legs but is now storing unused tack and keeping that in better condition, we have reduced our meat consumption (we have our own lamb and raise a couple of beef cows for market) so we eat less meat overall and usually have 3 days a week with no meat at all. I have 1 and often 2 days with no vehicle use at all which is lovely actually and I am hoping to keep to my challenge of not buying anything new for horses or myself. So far so good!!

I know these are small things, really small in the scheme of things but it is useful to get more comfortable with less of some things.

I am hoping to find a farm plastic recycling scheme we can access and I am hoping this week to write to a couple of feed suppliers about plastic packaging. I know how small and futile these things might seem but...

paddy555

Visit site
Cor!! Full on personal actions Winters100. :):) I find it astonishingly hard to make those sorts of changes so I am full of admiration. So far this summer I have spent ages repairing an old wooden box (which I love) which was really on it's last legs but is now storing unused tack and keeping that in better condition, we have reduced our meat consumption (we have our own lamb and raise a couple of beef cows for market) so we eat less meat overall and usually have 3 days a week with no meat at all. I have 1 and often 2 days with no vehicle use at all which is lovely actually and I am hoping to keep to my challenge of not buying anything new for horses or myself. So far so good!!

I know these are small things, really small in the scheme of things but it is useful to get more comfortable with less of some things.

I am hoping to find a farm plastic recycling scheme we can access and I am hoping this week to write to a couple of feed suppliers about plastic packaging. I know how small and futile these things might seem but...

I can't cut down on meat as I don't eat any. The mileage I do is around 25 miles once a fortnight so not much hope there. Only other mileage since covid started would be emergency trip to vet etc.
My OH takes all our plastic feed bags and re uses them so they get 2 and often 3 lives.

I don't get how the not buying anything new however works. In the last couple of weeks for example I have bought 8 equisal kits and 8 worm counts. Later this week I shall buy 8 equest for the end of Dec plus whatever is needed for the ones who fail the tapeworm test. They all passed the worm count so that is one less. No way all that lot is anything other than new. Tomorrow I shall have to order a box of rasps. The feet are so hard the new save edges barely touch them so no way s/h is going to work. Next week will be epic gaiters. Again no chance of S/h.

Next week also will be a new waterproof coat, only a cheap workman's high vis one but I buy one each September. Again no way it couldn't be new as it has to be waterproof, similarly 2 pairs of new yard boots which I live in and will last the winter. I have no choice for a new saddle pad as s/h is just not available in the UK.
I need some more socks. I really don't fancy s/h so it will have to be Tesco.

I'n just not sure how you are going to do the not buying new thing.

TPO

Visit site
The population/breeding thing is tricky.

Our privilege let's us make that decision (hopefully) but due to lack of education and/or religion to say no to having a family or having smaller families isn't always an option.

Then there is the availability, or lack, of contraception in other countries (along with other healthcare).

Heck we've got the developed and civilised (?) america wanting to hand the death sentence to woman who have terminations. Obviously no punishment for the male who got the female pregnant. So even some "developed" countries want to bring more people into the world and completely control women. That doesnt bode well for reducing a woelf population (as well as being heartbreakingly sickening and angering).

Europeans tend to have smaller families on the whole I think? No source, just going on the old 2.4 thing. Whereas other countries and certain religions (Muslim, Catholic?) tend to encourage/want large families?

I see the population/breeding discussion between "us" as the same drop in the ocean as individuals and smaller countries doing their bit just for large manufacturing countries not doing a thing. It does feel like a very uphill, and at times pointless, battle?

I am feeling very despondent on the whole because of our farce of a government, what is happening in the far east and the abortion laws in Texas so everything feels very bleugh.

I do very much hope that we dont kill ourselves and our planet!!

palo1

Visit site
I can't cut down on meat as I don't eat any. The mileage I do is around 25 miles once a fortnight so not much hope there. Only other mileage since covid started would be emergency trip to vet etc.
My OH takes all our plastic feed bags and re uses them so they get 2 and often 3 lives.

I don't get how the not buying anything new however works. In the last couple of weeks for example I have bought 8 equisal kits and 8 worm counts. Later this week I shall buy 8 equest for the end of Dec plus whatever is needed for the ones who fail the tapeworm test. They all passed the worm count so that is one less. No way all that lot is anything other than new. Tomorrow I shall have to order a box of rasps. The feet are so hard the new save edges barely touch them so no way s/h is going to work. Next week will be epic gaiters. Again no chance of S/h.

Next week also will be a new waterproof coat, only a cheap workman's high vis one but I buy one each September. Again no way it couldn't be new as it has to be waterproof, similarly 2 pairs of new yard boots which I live in and will last the winter. I have no choice for a new saddle pad as s/h is just not available in the UK.
I need some more socks. I really don't fancy s/h so it will have to be Tesco.

I'n just not sure how you are going to do the not buying new thing.

That is an amazingly low mileage @paddy555 !! The not buying anything works because it means in the simplest way that I am not contributing to additional manufacturing/packaging/transportation/consumption. Every time we don't purchase something the shops see a drop in previous/comparable sales - even by 1 unit, and will order less stuff as a result. It is one of the ways that our supply chain works - particularly with the bigger companies. If that happens on any kind of scale at all then less is manufactured which does have an impact. For me too, it is about making the most of what I already have so about conserving stuff/not sending it to landfill/recycling just because I can get new/replacement stuff. That is directly impactful on the UK environment at a really basic level. It also means that I try to invest more when I do buy; stuff that will really last and when it is knackered that will biodegrade. I will be buying worm testers though cos they are pretty essential - like food really!

I have hi-vis already - I keep it clean, don't use it for yard work and try to keep them as good as possible for ages; years in fact! The stuff that hi-vis is made of is pretty grim from an environmental point of view so it's worth looking after it; the less of that made and disposed of the better really even though we all need it. I have an old yard coat that I have had for winter for several seasons now that I bought from a charity shop. I have decent wellies that are on their 8th year so won't need those either. I have a long wool tweed riding coat that can be mended for ever and a day so I don't need winter riding stuff. I buy really decent wool socks that are made from UK wool - they last ages and ages and then get used as dusters or something else for cleaning. I have jeans and breeches to ride in and stuff for work. I have enough shoes. The horses have rugs, tack and headcollars (!!) We have numnahs to go round. I just don't see that I need to buy anything in terms of clothing though if something really gives up then I will if I haven't already got a replacement. I will be buying horse feed and vitamins and minerals though of course. I will maintain my vehicle safely too.

I guess this seems like a reasonable thing to me as I know a number of people doing a similar challenge on the understanding that collective non-consumption leads to even microscopically reduced manufacturing etc. I know a lot of people will say and feel that it is a futile action though. For me it is also symbolic and philosophical - to reject the push for economic growth, for manufacturing and consumption. It feels right to put the brakes on that and to share that, and this conversation with people in spite of the obvious contradictions in leading a life of genuine privelege where I have a car to drive, a house, food and water security, leisure activities etc. I think it is a fairly 'normal' sustainability measure that people try to pursue too (in my experience) and it is actually like a breath of air to see what you have and stop at that I find!

Zuzan

Visit site
@TPO agree .. the population thing is big issue but as you say where women have rights and there is family planning family sizes tend to be smaller. Take home message campaign for womens rights !!

I was at a great webinar today held by RSGS Climate Change - Meet the Experts - independent inquiry, Farming for 1.5C, hugely optomistic .. technology is going to really help our efforts .. yes there is a lot to do but we can do this...

palo1

Visit site
@TPO agree .. the population thing is big issue but as you say where women have rights and there is family planning family sizes tend to be smaller. Take home message campaign for womens rights !!

I was at a great webinar today held by RSGS Climate Change - Meet the Experts - independent inquiry, Farming for 1.5C, hugely optomistic .. technology is going to really help our efforts .. yes there is a lot to do but we can do this...

Good to hear that there is real optimism in some quarters @Zuzan! Interested to hear more if you are able to share anything.

AntiPuck

Visit site
The population/breeding thing is tricky.

Our privilege let's us make that decision (hopefully) but due to lack of education and/or religion to say no to having a family or having smaller families isn't always an option.

Then there is the availability, or lack, of contraception in other countries (along with other healthcare).

Heck we've got the developed and civilised (?) america wanting to hand the death sentence to woman who have terminations. Obviously no punishment for the male who got the female pregnant. So even some "developed" countries want to bring more people into the world and completely control women. That doesnt bode well for reducing a woelf population (as well as being heartbreakingly sickening and angering).

Europeans tend to have smaller families on the whole I think? No source, just going on the old 2.4 thing. Whereas other countries and certain religions (Muslim, Catholic?) tend to encourage/want large families?

I see the population/breeding discussion between "us" as the same drop in the ocean as individuals and smaller countries doing their bit just for large manufacturing countries not doing a thing. It does feel like a very uphill, and at times pointless, battle?

I am feeling very despondent on the whole because of our farce of a government, what is happening in the far east and the abortion laws in Texas so everything feels very bleugh.

I do very much hope that we dont kill ourselves and our planet!!

If by "us" you mean Western countries, I think the thing to consider is that people in these countries have a far greater carbon footprint versus people in the developing countries, so a child born here will eventually have more of an impact on the environment in that sense. Plus when you consider that those children may themselves go on to have children, and so on, it starts to look much bigger than a drop in the ocean.

Similarly, capitalism thrives on growth, especially population growth (make more people who will buy more things!), so shrinking populations would have to lead to reduced demand for, and so production of stuff - at least until consumption levels start rising to similar levels in developing countries as they are at in developed ones right now, anyway.

It does seem that increasing education levels and access to birth control lead to lower birth rates, though, so there is hope that if we can widen access to these, population growth will slow down.

You're right, though, it is tricky and I think there's a reason population control is left out of many guides to being more climate-friendly, because it's very unpalatable to many - but ultimately, the earth isn't able to support this many humans indefinitely, so I do wonder when and how the world will start to address this.

paddy555

Visit site
That is an amazingly low mileage @paddy555 !! The not buying anything works because it means in the simplest way that I am not contributing to additional manufacturing/packaging/transportation/consumption. Every time we don't purchase something the shops see a drop in previous/comparable sales - even by 1 unit, and will order less stuff as a result. It is one of the ways that our supply chain works - particularly with the bigger companies. If that happens on any kind of scale at all then less is manufactured which does have an impact. For me too, it is about making the most of what I already have so about conserving stuff/not sending it to landfill/recycling just because I can get new/replacement stuff. That is directly impactful on the UK environment at a really basic level. It also means that I try to invest more when I do buy; stuff that will really last and when it is knackered that will biodegrade. I will be buying worm testers though cos they are pretty essential - like food really!

I have hi-vis already - I keep it clean, don't use it for yard work and try to keep them as good as possible for ages; years in fact! The stuff that hi-vis is made of is pretty grim from an environmental point of view so it's worth looking after it; the less of that made and disposed of the better really even though we all need it. I have an old yard coat that I have had for winter for several seasons now that I bought from a charity shop. I have decent wellies that are on their 8th year so won't need those either. I have a long wool tweed riding coat that can be mended for ever and a day so I don't need winter riding stuff. I buy really decent wool socks that are made from UK wool - they last ages and ages and then get used as dusters or something else for cleaning. I have jeans and breeches to ride in and stuff for work. I have enough shoes. The horses have rugs, tack and headcollars (!!) We have numnahs to go round. I just don't see that I need to buy anything in terms of clothing though if something really gives up then I will if I haven't already got a replacement. I will be buying horse feed and vitamins and minerals though of course. I will maintain my vehicle safely too.

I guess this seems like a reasonable thing to me as I know a number of people doing a similar challenge on the understanding that collective non-consumption leads to even microscopically reduced manufacturing etc. I know a lot of people will say and feel that it is a futile action though. For me it is also symbolic and philosophical - to reject the push for economic growth, for manufacturing and consumption. It feels right to put the brakes on that and to share that, and this conversation with people in spite of the obvious contradictions in leading a life of genuine privelege where I have a car to drive, a house, food and water security, leisure activities etc. I think it is a fairly 'normal' sustainability measure that people try to pursue too (in my experience) and it is actually like a breath of air to see what you have and stop at that I find!

I see exactly where you are coming from but perhaps I am either buying the wrong hi vis jackets or alternatively I should just stay wet all day. I don't get more than a year out of a new high vis jacket for riding before it is no longer waterproof. On a wet day I would probably go through about 4or 5 hi vis jackets a day. 2 for riding and another 2 or even 3 for yard work and other work around the place.. Perhaps I just don't have enough clothes. I ride daily so for the 6 months the new hi vis is used that is around 180 uses which I don't think is bad.
I don't think it is a futile action by any means I just don't see how I could get myself and the horses through life without buying things and that is before I even consider things like building materials or workshop items even to keep the place going.

am I the only one who has to buy stuff.

coblets

Visit site
Some changes I’ve made (or am trying to make!)

• Eating seasonal and local produce
  • Taking cold showers only on week days (hot shower inevitably get too long)
  • Using shampoo bars (so far haven’t found one that works for my hair)
  • If I buy something, which is rare, I buy it almost always secondhand
  • Reusable period products - I use washable cloth pads. A massive waste of plastic that hasn’t been mentioned on here yet but definitely is something more people should think about. Saves you money too.