Coffin joint arthritis- any success stories?

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
NN59, concentrate on the pain your horse will be in trying to stand on feet that ache all the time, and know that you are doing the only kind thing possible. Call now, right now, and if they are still on answerphone, call again until they aren't.

NooNoo59

Visit site
Thank you. We have some on our yard who think its cruel to put to sleep but he is lame which means he is in a level of discomfort and therefore I know its not fair and I need to get it sorted

thedutchess

Visit site
Not a success story i'm afraid my boy was diagnosed in January as was lame in trot, had the injection and is now intermittently lame in walk which he never was before im so disappointed next step is mri :(

Last edited:

NooNoo59

Visit site
I made the decision to mri as my gut was telling me that the arthritis was not the only problem. Interestingly now he is lamer on the off side rather than the near side. The end story is that he is lame and its the end of the road which I need to get my head round asap.

Accidental Eventer

Visit site
It took me a bit to get my head around putting our mare to sleep because she wasn't obviously lame. She had it in all 4 feet though and so although I couldn't see it I knew it was there. It showed up after she had had a good hoon around the paddock and some days were worse than others. It was a really hard decision but ultimately the right one.

I miss her everyday but I know it was the right thing to do by her. You have my sympathy. People who judge you for making this decision are not kind.

NooNoo59

Visit site
You are right he looks fine most of the time but it's there and it isn't going away. I was given this horse so I have let the previous owner know as I think that's only fair to give her the chance to say goodbye. As soon as I hear back from her the phone call will be made.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I hope you feel relief as well as the inevitable sadness.. Look after yourself.

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
So am I he is a cracking cob but I think.there is too much going on in the front joints/feet for him to come right. Vets bills up to over 4000 so far I think we have reached the end of the road

Was just reading your post when you went to vet him and collected him, is it the same Welsh D?
So sorry to read this and bring a old post up!

NooNoo59

Visit site
No the Welsh d is the new one on another thread. The cob was pts on 1st March on vets advice as he wasn't field sound. Best for him miss his lovely face