Colic

cheekywelshie

Visit site
I’m so so sorry - you have been through so much with all this. Is the vet advising which direction he/she thinks you should go in? X

Vet was on call but one of the other vets said basically that it would probably be another round of surgery to check what's going on or nothing :( they got three buckets of reflux so he obviously can't keep it down. Just got back now from visiting. He did a tiny wee while I was there but he was out of it really, probably on the painkillers. I am heartbroken. They will ring me at 8am for a decision. I will go down and see him again at any rate.

Cragrat

Visit site
i've just read all this - what a rollercoaster!

I'm so sorry - colic is such a s***. We lost our mare last year out of the blue - one minute fit and happy, 24 hours later we had to make THAT decision. We'd had glimmers of hope as she battled bravely, but in the end, it was just too much for her. It just knocks you sideways like a sledgehammer :( We'd had her from 18 months old to 20 years old. She grew up with my children.

What ever decision you make, it will be the right one. You have given him such a wonderful life, and have tried so hard for him.

Huge hugs .

cheekywelshie

Visit site
I wish so too but I can't see how it can get better unles repeat surgery and the prognosis after that is very guarded. Gutted :( Do not know what to do if the vets ask! Would you put a horse through repeat surgery?

Squeak

Visit site
CW I really feel for you, it's such a horrible position to be in :( It doesn't sound like there's a wrong answer to that question at the moment, have the vets given you an idea whether they think surgery is the way to go or not?

Easier said than done (I'm also up unable to sleep!) but is there any way of you managing to get some sleep? Hopefully it would help you feel a bit better for the morning.

Sending hugs

turkana

Visit site
I wish so too but I can't see how it can get better unles repeat surgery and the prognosis after that is very guarded. Gutted :( Do not know what to do if the vets ask! Would you put a horse through repeat surgery?
What a nightmare situation, I wouldn't go for the repeat surgery; my YO is an equine vet who used to do theater work, she said with colic surgery if they need to go back in for another operation the prognosis is very poor and they tend not to recover.
But you have to do what you feel is right, just know that there are lots of fellow horse lovers thinking of you at this difficult time. I hope that is of some comfort to you

cheekywelshie

Visit site
I am devastated. I took a little bit of his tail because I wasn't sure I'd be able to do that tomorrow if it came to saying goodbye. I can't believe a week ago we were galloping up a hill. I have had him 15 years and he took me round an XC course, dressage SJ, beach rides, camps, even a BE - he is my best friend. I am heartbroken. I don't know how I'll get over this. :(

turkana

Visit site
I am devastated. I took a little bit of his tail because I wasn't sure I'd be able to do that tomorrow if it came to saying goodbye. I can't believe a week ago we were galloping up a hill. I have had him 15 years and he took me round an XC course, dressage SJ, beach rides, camps, even a BE - he is my best friend. I am heartbroken. I don't know how I'll get over this. :(
I also lost my best friend to colic, I was devastated but did get over it.
Try to get some sleep (which is rich coming from me, who's also awake and can't sleep!)
Sadly this is the price we pay for loving them so much. He's in good hands and he's loved, there will be lots of people thinking of you tomorrow ❤️

PurBee

Visit site
Such sad news..im sorry....know that we’re all supporting you both across the wires.
Do try to sleep...even if just for a bit, to help relieve yourself of worry.
Sending healing vibes and hugs xx

Gingerwitch

Visit site
No I personally would not, but you know in your heart already don't you ,? So I will say it -. Do not be afraid to say let him go. You have not failed him. You have given him years longer than he would have had if you had not done the surgery years ago.
GW xx

Britestar

Visit site
Thinking of you. 8 yrs ago on Monday I said goodbye to my heart horse. I thought I could never recover.
I think of her all the time, but happy memories. She lives on through her son, and I now can't imagine life without him.
It hurts like hell, and only time is a healer.

scats

Visit site

I’ve been in your situation and I know how heart breaking it is. Personally, no I wouldn’t do repeat surgery.
Thinking of you x

Spottyappy

Visit site
Oh CW, so sorry this update is not the best one.
as I said I was there with my mare, also a welsh D, last year.
what I would advise you, is to know that you have tried with him, and given him every chance. When you see him, you will likely know which way to go, and as said above, what is right for him.
colic is such an evil thing, I really wish they could find a permanent solution to it, but unless we can change how the Horses’s stomach is, it appears there isn’t one likely to be any time real soon.
X

cheekywelshie

Visit site
Going to say goodbye and bring the trailer back today. I will probably get him done separately although it costs near a grand for that I think (did you go back for the ashes?) then going back to the RVC to pick that up is going to finish me off...I don't know, I just feel distraught all the time. I wish the tears would stop :(

Laurac13

Visit site
So very very sorry CW, I lost my horse of a lifetime 15 years ago after unsuccessful colic surgery. I had him cremated individually then collected his ashes a week or two later from Newmarket. Give your boy the biggest cuddle ever and tell him how much you love him, thinking of you both much love ?

rabatsa

Confuddled
Visit site
b009.gif
You are doing the right thing for him. Hugs.

Keira 8888

Visit site
Vet was on call but one of the other vets said basically that it would probably be another round of surgery to check what's going on or nothing :( they got three buckets of reflux so he obviously can't keep it down. Just got back now from visiting. He did a tiny wee while I was there but he was out of it really, probably on the painkillers. I am heartbroken. They will ring me at 8am for a decision. I will go down and see him again at any rate.
Have been thinking about you both all morning. Sending so much love xxx