Colic

cheekywelshie

Visit site
Not many poos overnight - I counted three. Ate one and a half of the hay nets I left in. Soaked hay. Hadn’t touched water. Will try apple juice. There is a small patch of grass opposite stable -when I opened the door to grab the net the bugger blazenly barges out and decided to graze himself! ..bored of box rest already tho,2CE9CAC6-AFD8-4B45-8A36-67D8FD950BE2.jpeg6147709A-F447-495C-B6CC-51460FB62873.jpeg1A80BD97-7E80-497E-B618-78EF23071122.jpeg

Surbie

Visit site
I'n so glad he's home and having a bite of grass. Hurray!!

The RVC behaviour is pretty shocking. My friend had hers there a few months back and she had to settle up on the day without a full invoice too. I appreciate the issues with non-payers but this was a a real eye-opener for me. I hope you take it further, threatening court action without even invoicing is no way to run a business.

Have you tried the apple flavour electrolyte powder? I used some in summer and my horse thought it was just marvellous. Apple juice is a lot cheaper mind! Mine barely touches his water when on soaked hay in winter.

Really glad to see pics and hear he's feeling perky. Keep the poo updates coming...

cheekywelshie

Visit site
I'n so glad he's home and having a bite of grass. Hurray!!

The RVC behaviour is pretty shocking. My friend had hers there a few months back and she had to settle up on the day without a full invoice too. I appreciate the issues with non-payers but this was a a real eye-opener for me. I hope you take it further, threatening court action without even invoicing is no way to run a business.

Have you tried the apple flavour electrolyte powder? I used some in summer and my horse thought it was just marvellous. Apple juice is a lot cheaper mind! Mine barely touches his water when on soaked hay in winter.

Really glad to see pics and hear he's feeling perky. Keep the poo updates coming...

Gosh really, so it's standard practice! Is that the same at other Veterinary schools? I don't recall them saying it all had to be settled when I left, I do remember signing stuff (but didn't receive a copy of that either). They REALLY need to consider their business processes and methods of communication - using the second number (otherwise what's the point of providing it) and at the very least emails a few days before sending out a threatening one - the only email I received was that

AandK

Visit site
Glad you hear your boy is back home OP!

I think it is standard practice for referral cases to have to pay before/when you collect your horse. Before I moved to Sussex, if my horse needed more than nerve blocks/x-rays that could be done at the yard, then he was referred to Liphook and I always had to pay before I collected him (he went there a few times!). I would definitely raise a complaint with them about the threat of court action though, that is not on.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I had to settle up before leaving with my are who had an eye operation for a carcinoma. That as fair enough, I knew in advance the rough price, I was shown the horse, shown the office, paid by card, all nice and civilised. I knew in advance that this would be required, so had enough money in my current account ready and waiting, which I sorted out on the phone. When I arrived, the invoice was waiting.

So yes, payment before collection is usual.

That is VERY different to being contacted and having money demanded at the drop of a hat, in work hours, and court action threatened before you had a chance to sort it, with no invoice.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
No sensible company will pay that amount of money without an invoice. Most companies can't pay that amount without an invoice matching a purchase order, because their computer systems won't allow it.

It's outrageous to have payment demanded without an invoice. If they know what the total is, then they know how that total is made up and they can provide you with an itemised invoice.

I am guessing that failure to provide an itemised invoice is to prevent arguments about items appearing on that invoice. That wouldn't surprise me because one colic case at Leahurst I knew was charged a sum for "extras". They queried this on the basis that every individual needle and swab had been listed and charged. They were told 'oh that's for the coffee we gave you while you were sat waiting for the vet to sign of his release". On a massive bill like yours!

Equine_Dream

Visit site
I'm over the moon for you that your boy is back home where he belongs. I wish him a speedy recovery!

I have to add though, I'm appalled for the way you have been treated over the bill! Sending threatening emails when you have not even been invoiced or even had time to settle your bill!?? I would definitely complain. Its such a shame when the skill and quality of treatment carried out by vets are over shadowed by poor customer service in administration. Its something that seems more and more common these days sadly.

cheekywelshie

Visit site
I had to settle up before leaving with my are who had an eye operation for a carcinoma. That as fair enough, I knew in advance the rough price, I was shown the horse, shown the office, paid by card, all nice and civilised. I knew in advance that this would be required, so had enough money in my current account ready and waiting, which I sorted out on the phone. When I arrived, the invoice was waiting.

So yes, payment before collection is usual.

That is VERY different to being contacted and having money demanded at the drop of a hat, in work hours, and court action threatened before you had a chance to sort it, with no invoice.

I was originally told 5-8k. Obviously it went beyond that and I expect the call last Monday was to discuss it. I didn’t respond because I didn’t know until I got my phone back on Friday and found the answer phone message . There wasn’t any attempt to contact me on the second number ( the one I also provided on arrival and gave to the vet ) or contact via email apart from the legal action one. I am still waiting for an invoice.

PurBee

Visit site
I guess if they know its an insurance pay-out its a guaranteed pay of invoice, once sent.

if they know the owner will be paying, and the bill is large, they get nervous that they wont be paid in full, so act inappropriately as evidenced by your experience!

paddy555

Visit site
I always understood you had to pay before collecting. I normally get given a running total as the days go by and then on the day before collection I go to the office and ask how much it is going to be. They add on another night's board if appropriate and I pay the day before he leaves. If they have to calculate the amount they ring me and I pay over the phone. I am sure they would e mail me a copy of the invoice if I asked at that stage. That way no hassles. I usually get a full invoice a few days later and invariably there are extras as most of my horses have needed more blood tests taken at home and sent to the hospital or further medication.
Our horse hospital doesn't ask for a deposit, doesn't even mention money when you turn up. Usually it is an emergency and there are several girls waiting to grab the horse out of the lorry, onto the scales and into the exam. room. with the vet already waiting before I have even managed to park the car. That is priceless so it never occurs to me not to offer to pay on the day before leaving.(not for one minute suggesting anyone on here would do) I also wouldn't want to put the lorry driver in a difficult position.

cheekywelshie

Visit site
I had a colic refered to Rainbow Equine Hospital a few weeks ago. I collected the mare once allowed to and the invoice was sent 10 days later. No one asked me to pay any earlier and the bill was within the estimate.

Mine was estimated 5-8k, with I assume the 8k being for complications. I paid 1k an hour after he had been admitted. Obviously they need to rethink that because my horse had complications and the bill came in at 9, 250. I paid that in full on Friday requested an invoice today still nothing.

So it’s ok for me to be harassed but then no invoice provided - well why bother because they have their money now. I can’t help feeling bitter about this and almost thinking of changing vets who refer to another practice ie Newmarket. But perhaps it’s the same everywhere ( not about wanting money before leaving but the method in which that’s communicated) .The method of communication was poor (they obviously had my email to send the legal action threat so why not contact via email before sending a letter? No attempt was made to contact me on the second number I provided. And yes, I did ask the vet for the amount but didn’t even think about contacting finance myself at that time or even think they may have tried to contact me because I was too worried about whether my horse was going to pull through - I also naively thought they would ring me on the number the vet had or contact the vet to find out how they were contacting me - I had no contact details for the finance office, no email etc. My local vet always sends an email with the amount with details of how to pay.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I have heard RVC won't wait for a lot of insurance to pay out and want the money before you take the horse and are not always not very nice about it.

They are the nearest practice to me but because I am insured with E & L although I didn't know at the time, I know they would insist I pay upfront for any treatment even if it's an insurance claim hence why I don't use them, I have never had any problems with them paying out either and I have had 4 big claims over the years.

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
Hearing all this has convinced me I am doing the right thing in never considering colic surgery, or indeed any other major vet hospital intervention. If you have to pay up front in spite of being insured, how many people can lay their hands on large amounts of cash at a moments notice. I know I couldn't and my credit card only goes up to £3k.

AandK

Visit site
Mine was estimated 5-8k, with I assume the 8k being for complications. I paid 1k an hour after he had been admitted. Obviously they need to rethink that because my horse had complications and the bill came in at 9, 250. I paid that in full on Friday requested an invoice today still nothing.

So it’s ok for me to be harassed but then no invoice provided - well why bother because they have their money now. I can’t help feeling bitter about this and almost thinking of changing vets who refer to another practice ie Newmarket. But perhaps it’s the same everywhere ( not about wanting money before leaving but the method in which that’s communicated) .The method of communication was poor (they obviously had my email to send the legal action threat so why not contact via email before sending a letter? No attempt was made to contact me on the second number I provided. And yes, I did ask the vet for the amount but didn’t even think about contacting finance myself at that time or even think they may have tried to contact me because I was too worried about whether my horse was going to pull through - I also naively thought they would ring me on the number the vet had or contact the vet to find out how they were contacting me - I had no contact details for the finance office, no email etc. My local vet always sends an email with the amount with details of how to pay.

It may be standard practice in a lot of referral hospitals to request payment before discharge, but the way they have treated you is not on at all. They should also be able to invoice you, if they know how much the bill was then it should be a click of a button to generate an invoice! I would definitely take it up with them if you have the energy for it!

AandK

Visit site
Hearing all this has convinced me I am doing the right thing in never considering colic surgery, or indeed any other major vet hospital intervention. If you have to pay up front in spite of being insured, how many people can lay their hands on large amounts of cash at a moments notice. I know I couldn't and my credit card only goes up to £3k.

It's not standard for every hospital, and won't be if you are a first opinion client. My current practice is a hospital and I have never had to pay on discharge when my horse has stayed for an op or for colic, I just get invoiced at the end of the month as usual.

[118739]

Visit site

Hello - glad your boy is looking to be better! Colic is such a horrendous stress... but this payment within 4 hrs thing on a Friday is actually mad! I can see a case for wanting swift payment because people can let bills linger on (I know its common with large animal practices, I guess with equine specific too) but they absolutely shouldn’t have been making you go around to the bank (in the middle of the pandemic) with a timer on you?!

For context I recently took mine to an equine hospital on a referral - was handed and invoice when I collected but she was covered by insurance so nothing for me to act on. Meanwhile the vets must have miscommunicated with the office and they thought I’d be paying myself so they sent me a few follow up invoices in the post - no phone calls no threats of proceedings, just polite invoices asking me to pay. Once it was over X days owed (30 I think?) they were adding late payment fees which were clearly put. When I got it in an email I forwarded the insurance claim info and they corrected & apologised - even though they hadn’t actually done anything wrong past not being sure who was going to pay my bill!

Really poor behaviour from RVC imo even if it is standard for them ... its a bad standard ☹️

I guess its done now so try not to stress about it but if you do go on to complain don’t let them tell you “everyone does it like this” - they don’t!

Uliy

Visit site
I’m sorry you had such a stressful experience with RVC. I just wanted to say that my horse has been at the vet hospital twice this month and my experience was very different to yours - both times I was able to take my mare home without paying. I had to chase them for the first bill and I haven’t paid the second one yet. The staff have been really helpful to me so it is strange and unfortunate that our experiences are so different. However, as someone mentioned upthread, it may be as a I am a regular client of the vet practice.

Britestar

Visit site
OP, I presume your horse wasn't insured. This makes a difference whether you can leave without paying.
Recent vet school visit, was told would need to pay on discharge as no pre authorisation from insurance company.
As it was, they said no need to pay they would claim direct. Then contacted with invoice for the balance .
If uninsured was told full payment on discharge.

brighteyes

Pooh-Bah
Visit site
Pragmatism is not shameful or heartless. I haven't the money for the surgery nor the emotional resources to deal with the aftercare. If I had millions though, yes, of course I'd have a go as long as everything allowed a fast intervention.

cheekywelshie

Visit site
OP, I presume your horse wasn't insured. This makes a difference whether you can leave without paying.
Recent vet school visit, was told would need to pay on discharge as no pre authorisation from insurance company.
As it was, they said no need to pay they would claim direct. Then contacted with invoice for the balance .
If uninsured was told full payment on discharge.

I paid a 1k deposit on the day of arrival, signed some paperwork which I never received a copy of and I know was obviously liable but I don’t remember them saying about payment before I go, I think we even talked about a payment plan. Things were not helped by my phone breaking but I did list two numbers on the paperwork although I rang the vet in the end and they used the second number. I think there should be a copy of paperwork signed and contact via email - they did this with the threatening email so they had all my contact details but didn’t bother using them other than on the penultimate day which led to me practically taking a half day off to sort it out - and still now no invoice!! Terrible customer service.

Annagain

Visit site
So glad he's home and so sorry you're going through all that on the financial side. When M went to Bristol vet hospital, I was ready to pay the bill when I picked him up but they told me they would send an invoice at the end of the month which would need paying by the end of the following month. He was discharged on Nov 2nd so I received the bill on Nov 30th and I didn't have to pay anything until Dec 31st. I actually rang to pay it the day I received the bill as I can be a bit forgetful so wanted to know it was done and they were very surprised - apparently hardly anybody does that!

Equi

Visit site
Glad hes doing a lot better, im late to the thread so took me a while to get through it all. What a journey!

Ive had issues with a "big" vet practice before re invoices/payment. i always paid on the day and the sum was minimal (like £70) and the invoice was sent to me, i ignored it as i knew i had paid so assumed it was just a receipt. Second letter came and i called them to say it was paid at the time so they said they would update my record. Third letter sent was to confirm that it was now being passed to the bailiffs and i would get a court date etc...for £70 i had already paid! I sent them screen shots of the payment going through and was thankful i had used my card rather than cash! Not been quite keen to use them again. I would though as they are a really good vet, just need to sort out their admin. My new vet (used because of change of location) sends invoices via email..i tried to pay them at the time of a treatment and they refused to take it saying they would rather have the invoice sent first to avoid issues later which was nice.