Coloured Horses - does nature ever get it wrong?

Ceriann

Visit site
I'm not sure mine qualifies as a coloured (I'm previously and currently of the bay mare brigade) and I think she has funny eyes (especially against her white face) but I love her, not because of her markings but she is a complete angel to ride at 4.
f9967d0e9b50026b4b62a43cdd34ea5b_zpsee0ce741.jpg

7c09689a4c7b0c5210410eef59c61a2c_zps80688c2b.jpg

ShadowFlame

Visit site
Personally I love a big chunky coloured. I don't think I've met one with a bad temprement as of yet

I've got to admit, I've met a fair few coloured cobs with dire temperaments :eek: It's all down the individual horse at the end of the day, as long as you're happy with them, who cares what other people think? Okay so a lot of people don't like common-bred gypsy cobs. Personally, I adore the feather :) Horses for courses.

Just because it shows his markings better:

untitled_zpsee4be956.png

Magicmillbrook

Visit site

Magicmillbrook

Visit site
This is my coloured. She is mostly white, however in the flesh she has the most brightest red markings and tail I have ever seen. Sadly she is going a bit roan now she is getting older. When I was looking for a new horse recently I did think perhaps a nice black or chestnut with a little star to save the hours, and hours, and hours of washing....but I ended up with almost the same markings but in black and white.

IMG_1514.jpg

Flicka (Magic Millbrook)

Flynn1_zps079d1d8b.jpg

Flynn Clean

missingpics029_zps1cd5a7d7.jpg

Flynn Au natrelle

Crugeran Celt

Visit site
Oh come off it.....you can't honestly tell me you would want to have to look at this ugly mugg every day *gags*

m_zps5af02fbf.jpg

It would be a massive struggle but I am sure I would be ok. He really has got a beautiful head I would just have to ignore the rest of him with those patches but with a head like that it would just about be possible. ;)

tiga71

Visit site
I never really thought about what horse to get. I was volunteering at a rescue and asked if they had anything suitable for me (been riding at RS for 18 months). They said I could have Izzy, aka Asbo Izzy, an obese, bargy cob. Wasn't sure but did it anyway. I think he is beautiful but then I am slightly biased! He is fit now and he hardly ever gets called Asbo Izzy anymore.

Endurance - October 2012
WindsorCastleJpeg_zps447d9957.jpg

Bit excited here - had him just under a year here - 2010

bucking.jpg

Last edited:

Paint Me Proud

Visit site
forgot the mare I used to own. She is my geldings dam :)

14.2hh unknown breeding (believed arab x coloured). She had the most attractive head I have ever seen on any horse, and i'm not just being biased. I really REALLY regret having to sell her :(

rubyblackoutcopy.jpg

rubyshowing.jpg

jojo5

Visit site
Photo747.jpg

I'm sure some might say this chap is ugly-I don't care. He has a bit of a piggy eye that I'm not keen on, don't like his pink nose much either. Handsome is as handsome does and all that. ;) He is a fabulous colour though, never seen one like it before. It doesn't show up on photos sadly. He looks grey, when his belly and patches on his neck are white and the coloured bits are chocolate brown and silver roan. His tail sparkles. He's a life size My Little Pony :D

This boy is totally gorgeous (IMO)!!!!! Is he a nice personaility too?

whisp&willow

Visit site
I haven't read all the replies: got to get back to work...!

BUT: To answer the op's question, sometimes nature does get it wrong, and some coloureds should have come out solid!

I love coloureds (for the most part!) I prefer a 50/50 colour and white, or less white, but unfortulately for me, my filly came out more white than buckskin... I love her, but I am biased, and she is murder to keep clean.

With regards Willow. I think she is fairly well marked, HOWEVER, her markings DO affect the way she looks. As she is still a youngster she is quite narrow in the chest (her mother's main fault, which i hoped willow would escape and instead follow in her broad father's footsteps *crosses fingers still* ) she has a patch of colour across the base of her chest which draws your eye to it. unfortunately. :rolleyes:

personally i am not a hairy cob lover- i can and do appreciate a special one or two, but i would not go out to buy or breed one for myself. I cant abide wall eye, and prefer a solid head in a coloured horse. each to their own eh? Lfe would be rather dull if we all had the same taste!

JoannaC

Visit site
Not a big fan of coloured's but at the end of the day if I like the horse I don't care what colour it is. Paint me proud I do like your mare but then that's cause she's araby so my type ;-) Definately prefer them with less white on.

Beausmate

Visit site
This boy is totally gorgeous (IMO)!!!!! Is he a nice personaility too?
Thank you! And to rowy.
He is. :) He's rising three and a cheeky chap. Very forward though, definitely not going to be a 'dope-on-a-rope' type and he likes to escape/go exploring into places that would kill a thoroughbred :eek: Hoping he might take to hunting, xc, bit of everything really. He hates me though-I'm the mug who is always putting cream on his sore skin (mallenders :( mostly under control at the mo) and faffing with feathers.

He's that good that I jumped on and rode him up the field, only having been sat on once before. Breaking should be easy.:D

skint1

Visit site
I wonder what some horses think of their owners.

“I dunno, Sparky, your owner would be quite nice looking if she was 4 inches taller, blond and 8 stone.”

“Yeah, don’t forget the face, Bertie - like the back end of a volkswagen!”

;)

hahahaha brilliant! Mine would enter me in a veterans class but would probably have to clip me out first!

ariellaII

Visit site
He is lovely. Do you have any pictures of him grown up?

No unfortunately she sold him on a few years ago so he should be about 5 now. He was a lovely boy. A friend of mine used to be at a yard where he is and said he is lovely now he has grown into himself. Would love to see a photo of him now! I had a real soft spot for him :)

nieghham

Visit site
Boy there are some lovely horses here

Those ones with with white spots...they can make an eye twitch though, can't they

You soap..scrub...power rinse only to have to repeat after noticing there is still yellow...soapscrubbleachpowerspraybleachagainandagainandagain........

You clean the stall

You have the shovel under the tail ready to catch even a passing of gas so it does not touch the horse

You bubble wrap twice and duct tape three times........

and they still get that one HUGE stain that refuses to come out the morning of a show

Crumpet

Visit site
I never really thought about what horse to get. I was volunteering at a rescue and asked if they had anything suitable for me (been riding at RS for 18 months). They said I could have Izzy, aka Asbo Izzy, an obese, bargy cob. Wasn't sure but did it anyway. I think he is beautiful but then I am slightly biased! He is fit now and he hardly ever gets called Asbo Izzy anymore.

Endurance - October 2012
WindsorCastleJpeg_zps447d9957.jpg

Bit excited here - had him just under a year here - 2010

bucking.jpg
Tiga71 I just love your expression on the second photo, but the big beaming smile on the first shows how proud you are of that lovely lad!

TheresaW

www.justgiving.com
This is my coloured, Dolly. She is what she is, has the most amazing temperament, can be great fun, but also safe enough to put my Nan on. Not every bodies cup of tea, but I love her.

d7fab22767ba7d393a67fa782bd9f993.jpg

DSC01058.jpg

DSC01056.jpg

I think she is quite well marked, and the black tail is an absolute godsend! :D