Competing a spooky pony - the way forward??

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
And it's worth noting that just because people are commenting it doesn't necessarily mean they can ride better than you can either.

or think they can.
I think lots of HHOers give advice in a genuinely trying to be helpful way, its rare that you come across someone who is looking down their nose at anyone (though I guess it can come across like that to an OP who feels a bit defeated).

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Ever wish you'd never started something....

Still photos from me from now on.

Fiona

Tbf, the majority of responses have all been singing from the same hymn sheet. Yes, you were really brave to post the videos - but you’ve received better advice than if you’d posted stills. It’s up to you to now decide how to respond going forward.

You’ve clearly got a cracking pony. It’s now up to you to do the hard work not only on him, but more importantly you....

Last edited:

TPO

Visit site
Just in response to some of the pole work mentioned in this thread. I was at the Ingrid Klimke demo at Wellington and the Andrew Nicolson demo at SNEC last month. Ingrid's had a focus on cavalletti exercises and Andrew was jumping orientated; they both used the 2/4 poles/cavalleti/jumps on a circle exercises. It says something that the pros are all doing the same basic, simple (note: simple not easy!) exercises.

I also attended the Ros Canter & Caroline Moore 4yr old to 4* clinic back in November and they used an exercise where poles were placed in the corners as a tunnel (so not explaining that very well; like an L shape in each corner) and that was used to rebalance the canter and for accuracy.

The over riding (no pun intended) theme from all 3 clinics/clinicians was rhythm. Once you find "that" canter and are jumping from a rhythm things should feel a lot smoother.

Ros also spoke a lot about having to change how she rode and learn to sit with legs on and longer reins to "be brave" with forward horses where self preservation wants you to hang on and stop using any leg. That clinic was being shown on H&C so you might find that helpful. The Ingrid clinic is going to be on Horse & Country TV too so would be worth keeping an eye for that as well because it was a good day and again there was that focus on rhythm and being off the leg.

The above poster is right, just because people are on here "talking the talking" don't assume they are walking the walk. I don't think anything has been said in malice and the replies have been to try to help. It's sometime hard to convey tone when writing and it would come across different face to face. It was brave to post a video and hopefully some of this will help you. I was talking to a very wise person after the Ingrid clinic and riders who want to improve really do have to park their ego, so to speak. Most of the feedback follows a similar vein so at least you can narrow it down and work on it yourself and/or with an instructor. Thank you for posting because I've found a lot of the replies educational either with new info or a reminder of exercises I'd forgotten about.

Good luck and I am looking forward to your next video :)

JFTDWS

Visit site
or think they can.
I think lots of HHOers give advice in a genuinely trying to be helpful way, its rare that you come across someone who is looking down their nose at anyone (though I guess it can come across like that to an OP who feels a bit defeated).

I definitely don't presume I can ride better than the OP, and I do find tone difficult to read / get right on here, but I am trying to be helpful.

eta - I really enjoyed TPO's post. I think there's video of the L exercise (or similar) with Harry Meade on a young horse on youtube, which is an interesting watch.

oldie48

Visit site

Fiona
Nooooo, we need brave people like you who are willing to post vids, I'm far too much of a coward and I learn so much (and I'm sure I'm not the only one). Sometimes posts come over a bit sharper than I'm sure is intended. I've lost count of the number of times I've written a reply, reread it and deleted it because it just sounded wrong but I've let others slip through and later regretted it. Take care. x

Fiona

Visit site
It's always a gutsy thing to do, to share video and ask for help, because as has happened here, sometimes people see a problem that is different to the one you thought you had.
That doesn't mean that people aren't being helpful or are missing the point, but it does give you something else to work on or think about. It might feel like you suddenly have more problems than you thought you had, but as the owner of a horse that also shuts down in some atmospheres and goes into kickalong awkward can't-do-it mode, I know that the problem *really* is that she isn't on my aids, the spooking is just a symptom of that.

Getting mine out and about lots helps to a certain degree, but not because she is seeing more things, it helps because it gives me additional chances to practice insisting on the basics in new places.

I think yours seems similar OP. We are doing a different sport but the essence of it is the same.
At home, I work on the quality and accessibility of reactions to my aids, and adjustability of my horse's paces. those things have to be absolutely bullet proof at home. Then at a show, I need to access the same reactions. If things start to go wrong, she gets tight or starts spooking, it's those reactions that have gone wrong. that was the cause, not the banners or the judges box or whatever. I think your pony is a bit the same?

I would try re reading this thread in a week or so when you feel less battered by it, and take some of the suggestions that might help you to get him really with you all the time. Developing the basics, the balance, the adjustability of the canter, being able to ride any line in a super rhythm and a top quality canter. I think he does those little strides because he only has one canter available at the moment so you and he can't adjust it to meet the fence at the right spot, so developing that ability on the flat/over poles would be ideal.
And then try and do the same out and about. If he backs off or gets spooky, insist on those basics again. When he knows that those reactions are the most important thing in his life in that moment, then the rest should start to fall into place.

You're so right about being bullet proof at home before we go out.... I thought he was, but obviously not, and though his canter can be lovely, it's definitely not adjustable at all when we go out and he starts to goggle...

First thing tomorrow I'm heading into the school to do lots of polework.

Fiona

Fiona

Visit site
Sorry haven't had time to read all the replies but have you tried him on magnesium? If it is a Mg deficiency a couple of weeks on magnesium oxide will produce a difference in the "running on adrenaline" sensation

I might even have a tub of it kicking about the tack room, if I do it would be very easy to try.. Thanks.

He even spooked at the dog's ball lying in the yard this morning 😲

Fiona

Reactions: TPO

Fiona

Visit site
Just in response to some of the pole work mentioned in this thread. I was at the Ingrid Klimke demo at Wellington and the Andrew Nicolson demo at SNEC last month. Ingrid's had a focus on cavalletti exercises and Andrew was jumping orientated; they both used the 2/4 poles/cavalleti/jumps on a circle exercises. It says something that the pros are all doing the same basic, simple (note: simple not easy!) exercises.

I also attended the Ros Canter & Caroline Moore 4yr old to 4* clinic back in November and they used an exercise where poles were placed in the corners as a tunnel (so not explaining that very well; like an L shape in each corner) and that was used to rebalance the canter and for accuracy.

The over riding (no pun intended) theme from all 3 clinics/clinicians was rhythm. Once you find "that" canter and are jumping from a rhythm things should feel a lot smoother.

Ros also spoke a lot about having to change how she rode and learn to sit with legs on and longer reins to "be brave" with forward horses where self preservation wants you to hang on and stop using any leg. That clinic was being shown on H&C so you might find that helpful. The Ingrid clinic is going to be on Horse & Country TV too so would be worth keeping an eye for that as well because it was a good day and again there was that focus on rhythm and being off the leg.

The above poster is right, just because people are on here "talking the talking" don't assume they are walking the walk. I don't think anything has been said in malice and the replies have been to try to help. It's sometime hard to convey tone when writing and it would come across different face to face. It was brave to post a video and hopefully some of this will help you. I was talking to a very wise person after the Ingrid clinic and riders who want to improve really do have to park their ego, so to speak. Most of the feedback follows a similar vein so at least you can narrow it down and work on it yourself and/or with an instructor. Thank you for posting because I've found a lot of the replies educational either with new info or a reminder of exercises I'd forgotten about.

Good luck and I am looking forward to your next video :)

I'd forgotten about the ros canter exercise with the L shaped poles, thank you. I saw it at the time and thought it looked far too difficult, but I suppose that's a bit of a defeatist attitude.

I'll give it a go tomorrow...

Hope hubby will be about or I'll be hopping on and off like a grasshopper 🤣

Fiona

Fiona

Visit site
I definitely don't presume I can ride better than the OP, and I do find tone difficult to read / get right on here, but I am trying to be helpful.

eta - I really enjoyed TPO's post. I think there's video of the L exercise (or similar) with Harry Meade on a young horse on youtube, which is an interesting watch.

Will have a look on you tube, thanks.

Fiona

moosea

Visit site

Fiona

Oh I do hope my comments have't offended or upset you. That wasn't my intention at all. I just wanted to give an outsiers view. I'm not a great rider, you are wayyy braver than me!! and I'm sure that all of us have areas to work on.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
In both vids I thought that you were sitting slightly to the right. I just thought that I'd throw it out there as I have this issue too and know that it can be improved! :D Of course it could be that the pony is 'throwing' you to the right. Either way though, it might be worth looking into. :)

Fiona

Visit site
In both vids I thought that you were sitting slightly to the right. I just thought that I'd throw it out there as I have this issue too and know that it can be improved! :D Of course it could be that the pony is 'throwing' you to the right. Either way though, it might be worth looking into. :)

I've been told that I collapse my left hip, and it's something I'm always conscious of riding at home... Wouldn't enter my head though during the stress of a competition though, so I'll have a look at the videos again... 😱

Fiona

paddi22

Visit site

Fiona

ah, everyone is in the same boat!! I went to schoolmaster dressage lessons to learn advanced moves, and was told I need to go back to square one as my hips are unbalanced and I can't even turn correctly, so now I feel like a TOTAL beginner again! But sometimes you have to step back and reassess and come back stronger. It's all feedback at the end of the day, and it makes us all better riders.

Last edited: