Constructive Feedback for Dressage Tests Wanted

Taliesan

Visit site
I have a real talent for coming last almost every time I enter an online dressage test. It is becoming a bit of a running joke amongst my family now. I always seem to keep getting the same scores (around the 55% mark) and I can't seem to break the 60% barrier. Although the feedback on my test sheets is fair there aren't really many clues on how I can actually improve my scores. I don't have any of the sheets with me at work but I can grab them when I go home at lunch later if people wished to see the score breakdowns. :)

This is my latest attempt. I got a score of 54.78%. No score sheet yet as I haven't had it in the post:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SruedBQNnzI

A month beforehand I submitted this test and got a score of 57.39%:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzzRMhMeQ9Q

If you want to go back a month before that I entered this video and we scored 53.48%:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5PvA-p261U

My riding isn't the greatest in the world and I know there is a great deal I can improve on. In the latest video (June, Intro C) my legs had finally realised how rising trot should be done (from the thigh, not the foot/ lower leg) so I felt my horse was going more softly. Since I have clocked how to do rising trot better he has become more forward and round, whereas before he tended to channel his inner giraffe. (Most likely my fault for imitating a sack of potatoes.)

From the videos I can see that I have an issue with lower leg stability. This is something that I hope is improving with actually rising correctly but I always have bad habit of pointing my toes out and tensing my leg, so my calf creeps up his side. Tips to improve this would be much appreciated but I have a feeling it is something I will need to be conscious of constantly and keep correcting until I reach the stage of consciously competent. I also tend to hollow my back when I rise, although this is something I am working on improving but it does slip by the wayside as my brain is often focusing on my legs.

Any and all constructive criticism is much appreciated. The comments on my dressage sheets tend to go along the line of "softer outline" - although I feel I had a little more of this in my latest video so I will be interested to see what the sheet says when it arrives.

Even though my horse can look uneven at times I can assure you he is not lame. We go out on the roads regularly and he is perfectly sound. The field itself has hard ground at the moment and there are lots of bumps / dips all over the place which means he doesn't step evenly all the time. In the second video we recorded the test after a torrential downpour and we had the opposite problem of a very slippy field.

Last edited:

Farma

Visit site
I am very sorry to say I couldn't watch more than 30 seconds of the first one as your horse looks unsound it made it very difficult to see anything else to offer cc.

Taliesan

Visit site
I am very sorry to say I couldn't watch more than 30 seconds of the first one as your horse looks unsound it made it very difficult to see anything else to offer cc.

Fair enough comment. I can assure you though he isn't unsound - it is because the field is rock solid and full of lumps / dips, etc and this causes him to take very uneven steps at times. We go out on the roads / bridle paths all the time and he is perfectly fine. Unfortunately I have no access to an arena so this field is my only choice.

If the environment (so, the lumpy field) is what is causing me to lose marks then maybe this is something that I will have to re-evaluate in the future.

Last edited:

JillA

Visit site
I've only had a quick look and I don't know those tests but it seems to me you could be a lot more accurate with your circles and straight lines - what do the judges remarks tell you? One tip to ride an accurate 20m circle is to ride it as a square with a point at A and another at X and two on the long sides. Ride the square until it becomes easy to do and then begin bending the straight sides of your square, still touching the four corners. Then you will have a circle and not a flattened egg :) Similarly with your 10m circles or parts thereof, they must touch at the relevant parts of the arena and not have any flattened parts.
You will lose far more points for lack of accuracy than his way of going/your riding so maybe concentrate on that for a while. I couldn't see where your transitions were in relation to the letters, but focus on those too?
ETA he looks as though he is bracing his jaw at walk. Work on flexing side to side and also downwards, from the ground works well. Ask for a flexion using the bit and release the INSTANT he gives to you

Last edited:

Farma

Visit site
Fair enough comment. I can assure you though he isn't unsound - it is because the field is rock solid and this causes him to take very uneven steps at. We go out on the roads / bridlepaths all the time and he is as sound as anything.

If the environment (so, the lumpy field) is what is causing me to lose marks though then maybe this is something that I will have to re-evaluate in the future.

I understand, however, if you are on a straight line on roads and bridlepaths this would not show up lameness the way riding through turns and circles does, I would personally urge you to investigate.

Taliesan

Visit site
I've only had a quick look and I don't know those tests but it seems to me you could be a lot more accurate with your circles and straight lines - what do the judges remarks tell you? One tip to ride an accurate 20m circle is to ride it as a square with a point at A and another at X and two on the long sides. Ride the square until it becomes easy to do and then begin bending the straight sides of your square, still touching the four corners. Then you will have a circle and not a flattened egg :) Similarly with your 10m circles or parts thereof, they must touch at the relevant parts of the arena and not have any flattened parts.
You will lose far more points for lack of accuracy than his way of going/your riding so maybe concentrate on that for a while. I couldn't see where your transitions were in relation to the letters, but focus on those too?
ETA he looks as though he is bracing his jaw at walk. Work on flexing side to side and also downwards, from the ground works well. Ask for a flexion using the bit and release the INSTANT he gives to you

Thanks for the feedback JillA - that really helps. I shall try doing some squares and gradually bending the straight edges until I have a circle shape, not an egg shape. I think you are right with the circles having flat parts and wonky straight lines. I really do need to practice those more and visual imagery like the square is very useful for me.

Transitions can be a weak point for us as well. Our transitions up are fine but downwards transitions tend to be late. I can always work on this using the markers and trying to get accurately times transitions up or down at each one.

Thank you for the flexion tips. I am more than happy to work on this from the ground as well as on him. He tenses up and get stressed really easily so a lot of the time I am focusing on getting him to relax and loosen up. I can do some lateral flexion work on walk and see how he gets on. He tends to brace against the bridle rather than give to it so I will definitely work on this as well. :)

I understand, however, if you are on a straight line on roads and bridlepaths this would not show up lameness the way riding through turns and circles does, I would personally urge you to investigate.

That is true. I can easily take him down to the industrial estate near me after work and video some circles and turns on the large tarmac areas there to see if he appears uneven on level ground. There are parts of the field that are flatter than others and, again, no uneven steps. Sadly I just don't have 20 x 40 meters of perfectly flat ground in the field.

He does get regular bodywork sessions from myself so I do keep on top of him muscularly. Still, he can be a bit silly in the field sometimes and easily tweaks himself. I'll give him another thorough going over to see if there are any areas he may have hurt himself in the past week or so.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I've been helping a local teenager with her pony who is doing some online dressage, she's been getting really helpful feedback with Dressage Anywhere so I'm surprised that you haven't been getting the same, perhaps if you can post some of the comments then we can help with that :) I've been really pleasantly surprised by her experience and it's a very competitive environment so don't get too despondent by your scores. You've already done well just by getting started.

I've watched your most recent video and I'm afraid to say I would agree with Farma that he appears unlevel on the right rein, more so than the left - it's really noticeable on the serpentine when you change the rein, so my instinct would feel that there was something more than just the hard ground affecting him, you can also see evidence in the middle video when the ground was softer. I think it would be wise to look into that.

Putting that to one side, the impression I got was that the test lacked purpose. I think you will find that he settles into the contact more if you can encourage him to be a bit more forward thinking (when you are satisfied that he is comfortable). It will also be easier for you to sit better in the saddle and think about letting your legs drape around him if he is taking you forward more consistently. If you watch how he walks about when he's at liberty in the field, and then watch his work in the video you will see what I mean :) He looks very relaxed and happy, but not really like he's there to do a job for you ;)

I'd also echo Jill's comments about the accuracy, you can easily throw away a mark here and there on every movement by not riding it exactly as described on the test sheet. It looks like you just slightly miss the centre line each time you turn onto it, for example. If you imagine that the previous competitor hit the centre line perfectly each time, then you can see how important those tiny details become.

Can you measure out some of the figures on your arena so you can see where you are aiming for, e.g. in the 20m circles at E/B - it looked like you rode more of an oval shape rather than a completely round circle.

Spiritedly

Visit site
You may well be losing marks due to the fact your horse looks quite lame if you believe it is down to the ground then it may be both hiring a school and recording a test there to see how he goes on a better surface. I'm not sure of the rules about bridles in online tests...I'm assuming they allow bitless?...but under normal rules the tests you are doing don't allow two reins so this may also have an impact?

Auslander

Visit site
I'm afraid I agree with Farma - he is unsound in the videos on a surface too. I'm unwilling to comment on the rest, although there are clear issues, because I don't think you should be working him until he's been looked at by a vet. He's a sweet horse, and once his lameness is resolved, there is plenty you can do relatively easily to improve your marks.

BarbieHorse

Visit site
I'm afraid I'd have to agree he looks unsound. I clicked into another one of you videos, I think it was intro b, which was on a sand surface and I'm afraid to say he also looked unsound in that so I don't think the ground is the issue unfortunately.
That aside, I agree with the advice on accuracy - make sure every circle is a perfect circle, centre lines are accurate and transitions are sharp and happen at the markers - if you really practice until you can do that every time you'll see a big difference in marks. It might be worth spray painting your centre line and some circles/serpentines on the ground so you can practice getting them really accurate.
In terms of his way of going, he really needs to be taking you forwards more and reaching into the contact - however this might improve somewhat once the lameness issue is resolved.
I definitely think a vet should be your first port of call.
Hope you get him sorted out soon and can crack on with your schooling :)

Taliesan

Visit site
I've been helping a local teenager with her pony who is doing some online dressage, she's been getting really helpful feedback with Dressage Anywhere so I'm surprised that you haven't been getting the same, perhaps if you can post some of the comments then we can help with that :) I've been really pleasantly surprised by her experience and it's a very competitive environment so don't get too despondent by your scores. You've already done well just by getting started.

I've watched your most recent video and I'm afraid to say I would agree with Farma that he appears unlevel on the right rein, more so than the left - it's really noticeable on the serpentine when you change the rein, so my instinct would feel that there was something more than just the hard ground affecting him, you can also see evidence in the middle video when the ground was softer. I think it would be wise to look into that.

Putting that to one side, the impression I got was that the test lacked purpose. I think you will find that he settles into the contact more if you can encourage him to be a bit more forward thinking (when you are satisfied that he is comfortable). It will also be easier for you to sit better in the saddle and think about letting your legs drape around him if he is taking you forward more consistently. If you watch how he walks about when he's at liberty in the field, and then watch his work in the video you will see what I mean :) He looks very relaxed and happy, but not really like he's there to do a job for you ;)

I'd also echo Jill's comments about the accuracy, you can easily throw away a mark here and there on every movement by not riding it exactly as described on the test sheet. It looks like you just slightly miss the centre line each time you turn onto it, for example. If you imagine that the previous competitor hit the centre line perfectly each time, then you can see how important those tiny details become.

Can you measure out some of the figures on your arena so you can see where you are aiming for, e.g. in the 20m circles at E/B - it looked like you rode more of an oval shape rather than a completely round circle.

Posting the comments won't be a problem. I'll grab the sheets when I go home on my lunch break and post them here. :)

I compete bitless so I am somewhat limited by where I can enter my videos. I'll have a look at Dressage Anywhere though to see if they allow bitless entries.

Thank you. I'll go back and have a look at the videos at the points you mentioned. He may have slipped or tripped in the field and pulled something. I wouldn't be surprised if this is the case as he can be a bit daft. I'll give him an ET (Equine Touch bodywork) session and see if that helps him. Usually the bodywork fixes whatever is wrong, if it doesn't I'll look at getting the vet out if he remains unlevel. I'll take him somewhere with a flat, even surface and try some serpentines / circles there to see if he still appears unlevel there. At least that would rule out the field as a cause if he isn't quite right.

I think you are absolutely right there about the lest lacking purpose. Before I do anything else with him I'll get him checked out but, if he turns out to be fine, I'll look to get some more impulsion and energy into what we are doing.

Relaxed and happy is what we have been aiming for up until now - so I am glad you have pointed that out! Now we have got the relaxed and happy I can look to push him a little more and get a but more purpose to what we are doing together. (Once I have got him checked out, of course.)

That is a good idea about measuring / marking out the circles. It would be easy enough to put something down in the field so I could ride around it and get a feel for what the movement should feel like, as such.

You may well be losing marks due to the fact your horse looks quite lame if you believe it is down to the ground then it may be both hiring a school and recording a test there to see how he goes on a better surface. I'm not sure of the rules about bridles in online tests...I'm assuming they allow bitless?...but under normal rules the tests you are doing don't allow two reins so this may also have an impact?

I have no transport and the only school near me is for strict use of the people on the livery yard only. So arena rental is sadly not something I can do. :(

I will go and check him by either riding or lunging on the industrial estate near me. It is deserted at the end of the working day and there are lots of large, flat open spaces. Granted it is on tarmac instead of a surface but at least it is level and even. If he is sound there then at least I know it is down to the field. If he is unsound then I will get the vet out to investigate further. :)

I'm afraid I agree with Farma - he is unsound in the videos on a surface too. I'm unwilling to comment on the rest, although there are clear issues, because I don't think you should be working him until he's been looked at by a vet. He's a sweet horse, and once his lameness is resolved, there is plenty you can do relatively easily to improve your marks.

Well, at least you think there are issues we can work on when he has been looked at.

Previously I have been told by an instructor that he is biomechanically lame. So, when I asked for more impulsion, effort and even steps he was sound in the lesson. When he slopped along that is when he appeared uneven.

Like I said above, I'll give him a bodywork session to see if he has tweaked something, check him on a flat surface and if he is still unlevel then I will get the vet out to check him. :)

I'm afraid I'd have to agree he looks unsound. I clicked into another one of you videos, I think it was intro b, which was on a sand surface and I'm afraid to say he also looked unsound in that so I don't think the ground is the issue unfortunately.
That aside, I agree with the advice on accuracy - make sure every circle is a perfect circle, centre lines are accurate and transitions are sharp and happen at the markers - if you really practice until you can do that every time you'll see a big difference in marks. It might be worth spray painting your centre line and some circles/serpentines on the ground so you can practice getting them really accurate.
In terms of his way of going, he really needs to be taking you forwards more and reaching into the contact - however this might improve somewhat once the lameness issue is resolved.
I definitely think a vet should be your first port of call.
Hope you get him sorted out soon and can crack on with your schooling :)

Thank you for the feedback. If the ground isn't the issue then at least that is something, as there isn't much I can do about the field. At the same time I really hope it isn't anything serious with my horse. Although, like I said before, he isn't very stoic so if something isn't 100% it shows.

Spray painting is a good idea, thank you. Once I've given him some bodywork, checked him on a level surface and got the vet out if he still isn't right, I'll work on the shapes and the going forwards. :)

TheMule

Visit site
What a sweet horse!
I also recommend a vet for a full lameness work up. He is lame in all of the videos I watched on your Youtube.

Taliesan

Visit site
What a sweet horse!
I also recommend a vet for a full lameness work up. He is lame in all of the videos I watched on your Youtube.

Thank you. I'll definitely be looking into it to see what can be done for him. Hopefully it is nothing major. I feel really terrible now though as I always put his lameness down to the field and the uneven going as he is perfectly sound when out on hacks. :(

duckling

www.facebook.com
I will go and check him by either riding or lunging on the industrial estate near me. It is deserted at the end of the working day and there are lots of large, flat open spaces. Granted it is on tarmac instead of a surface but at least it is level and even. If he is sound there then at least I know it is down to the field. If he is unsound then I will get the vet out to investigate further. :)

Without meaning to sound rude, if you can't spot that he is lame in the videos (including the ones on a surface from Jan/Feb on your YouTube) are you sure you will be able to spot it when you lunge him at the industrial estate?
To me he is obviously lame in all your videos, it isn't the ground, and you really need to get the vet out for a full lameness work up. Going by the videos it's been going on for at least 6 months.

Farma

Visit site
Thank you. I'll definitely be looking into it to see what can be done for him. Hopefully it is nothing major. I feel really terrible now though as I always put his lameness down to the field and the uneven going as he is perfectly sound when out on hacks. :(

Good luck - hopefully nothing major and there will be a post soon enough of you and him smashing the 60% barrier with a new improved sound and happy horse x

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
Another who would urge you to get your vet to do a full lameness work up as he does appear to be lame in all your videos :(

Taliesan

Visit site
Without meaning to sound rude, if you can't spot that he is lame in the videos (including the ones on a surface from Jan/Feb on your YouTube) are you sure you will be able to spot it when you lunge him at the industrial estate?
To me he is obviously lame in all your videos, it isn't the ground, and you really need to get the vet out for a full lameness work up. Going by the videos it's been going on for at least 6 months.

Like I said, before I have been told that he is biomechanically lame by my instructor, so when I was riding him on the surface I believed that it was because he wasn't being forward enough. During those lessons she confirmed to me that he was sound when she was with me - he was moving evenly with more energy and impulsion.

When I moved to the field there are times when he is fine and times when he looks unlevel - hence why I thought it to be the uneven ground as it is very hard at the moment and lumpy. He appears perfectly sound when out on hacks irrespective of terrain, hence why I assumed it was the ground in the field. He is also very forward when out hacking so feels / looks fine then.

I have only been going by what I have been told be other observers and my instructor. I will be giving him some bodywork / checking all the soft tissue is fine first with a vet physio. Then, if he is fine soft tissue wise I will get the vet out.

Good luck - hopefully nothing major and there will be a post soon enough of you and him smashing the 60% barrier with a new improved sound and happy horse x

Thank you. I really hope it is nothing major as well. Once I've got my vet physio to look over him I'll go ahead and get the vet out if she can't find anything wrong.

Another who would urge you to get your vet to do a full lameness work up as he does appear to be lame in all your videos :(

I will be getting him checked over. Previously I have been going by what my instructor and other observers have told me. So, even though I now feel absolutely awful for not spotting it when I should know better, I am glad that people here have been honest and I can now move forwards and get him looked at / get him sound and happy. :)

eggs

Visit site
Sorry but a horse that is as unlevel as yours looks to be (I could only watch the first few seconds of your first video as it made be feel very uncomfortable) will not be getting a 'good' mark.

Do any of the comments on your sheets not mention the unlevelness?

Taliesan

Visit site
Sorry but a horse that is as unlevel as yours looks to be (I could only watch the first few seconds of your first video as it made be feel very uncomfortable) will not be getting a 'good' mark.

Do any of the comments on your sheets not mention the unlevelness?

The most a comment has gotten to mentioning unlevelness is "some uneven steps at times". From what I can remember of the sheets, and I may well be wrong here, this isn't mentioned in every comment box and not in every test I have submitted either.

milliepops

Visit site
I will be getting him checked over. Previously I have been going by what my instructor and other observers have told me. So, even though I now feel absolutely awful for not spotting it when I should know better, I am glad that people here have been honest and I can now move forwards and get him looked at / get him sound and happy. :)

I'm sure it has been difficult to read some of these comments but I'm sure you will now do the right thing for your horse :) well done for taking the first step.

Farma

Visit site
Sorry, none of my business but I would not be calling a physio for a lame horse, you need to get him to a vet.

Auslander

Visit site
Another thought. Your instructor saying the horse is "biomechanically" lame. This bothers me a little - lame is lame. It's a pain response.
It is possible to disguise lameness quite successfully, so her getting you to have the horse very forward could well have made the horse look sounder (and could also explain why he feels completely sound out hacking). True Mechanical unlevelness (a more accurate description , in my humble opinion) is very very rare - it does happen, but generally because the horse has had a trauma, and the structure has healed strangely. Your instructor should not be saying a horse is mechanically lame, unless he/she knows the horses history, and can explain precisely what structure is involved, and how the mechanical lameness has occurred.

milliepops

Visit site
. Your instructor should not be saying a horse is mechanically lame, unless he/she knows the horses history, and can explain precisely what structure is involved, and how the mechanical lameness has occurred.

agree with this ^^
I have one that the vets pronounced mechanically lame due to adhesions at a surgical site, it has improved permanently with work but we were extremely cautious about working through it at the time.

I know one other that looks unlevel when slopping along, it has very poor conformation and is part trotter-bred so the paces are not true and he becomes more level when worked correctly. Same applies, they know why he looks wrong, that he needs corrective shoeing etc and the flatwork he does helps his body to cope with the odd way his legs are stuck on. tbh there are some horses I would not choose to ride... but they adore him!

McFluff

Visit site
For information, and to give you something to aim for once you've done the vet investigations, you can't compete bitless with Dressage Anywhere, but you can submit a 'training video'. That is a really good way to get more detailed comments and suggestions than you would for a competition entry. I've found the judges are all very clear and positive in their comments, and the training video even more so.
Good luck.

be positive

Visit site
Like I said, before I have been told that he is biomechanically lame by my instructor, so when I was riding him on the surface I believed that it was because he wasn't being forward enough. During those lessons she confirmed to me that he was sound when she was with me - he was moving evenly with more energy and impulsion.

When I moved to the field there are times when he is fine and times when he looks unlevel - hence why I thought it to be the uneven ground as it is very hard at the moment and lumpy. He appears perfectly sound when out on hacks irrespective of terrain, hence why I assumed it was the ground in the field. He is also very forward when out hacking so feels / looks fine then.

I have only been going by what I have been told be other observers and my instructor. I will be giving him some bodywork / checking all the soft tissue is fine first with a vet physio. Then, if he is fine soft tissue wise I will get the vet out.

Thank you. I really hope it is nothing major as well. Once I've got my vet physio to look over him I'll go ahead and get the vet out if she can't find anything wrong.

I feel a bit guilty having encouraged you to post the videos but I am in agreement with everyone else that he is unlevel and that is why your scores have been so low, not many judges will say the horse is lame they use terms such as uneven strides to cover themselves and on the straight he does look to be sound.

I have had horses move like him and can cover it up in a lesson or when I ride by getting them more active, changing the flexion or whatever but I know they are lame so would not continue to do so without looking into it, your instructor is wrong to make statements about him being biomechanically lame without any grounds to do so, yes she can get him looking ok in a lesson but she is only delaying the inevitable and in my mind is taking your money under false pretenses, she should have been honest with you some time ago and suggested a vet check.

I would not waste time with physio I would put money on it being his feet, either poor balance, low under run heels with long toes or something going on inside, he is probably bilaterally lame with one, think it is the off fore being worse, get the vet out and start with the feet as that is where most problems are and he is a classic case of a horse coping with a degree of foot pain. Foot pain will cause related tension so a physio may find and treat those areas but will not address the primary cause, get the physio after the vet not before otherwise you will be wasting time and money.

eggs

Visit site
Firstly, congratulations to OP to wanting to improve and for taking the comments on board - it can't be nice to hear that everyone sees a lame horse.

I agree that unless you instructor is also a vet they are not really in a position to diagnose biomechanical lameness. I do feel such a thing exists as I am 'lame' myself at times following a bad knee injury although I am not usually in pain when I am limping.

In your shoes, OP, I would save my pennies and time and skip the body worker and go straight to the vet. I am not a vet but from what I saw in the video this is not something that a bit of alternative treatment will resolve.

Good luck with getting to the bottom of your horse's issue.

TheOldTrout

Completely Unknown Member
Visit site
If it isn't a silly question, what's the difference between biomechanical lameness and other sorts of lameness?
(Apologies for hijacking your thread, OP.)

Taliesan

Visit site
I'm sure it has been difficult to read some of these comments but I'm sure you will now do the right thing for your horse :) well done for taking the first step.

Difficult is perhaps the understatement of the year but hey ho. If people don't tell you then you don't know. Even though it is hard to hear, I do appreciate everyone's honesty. :)

I just assumed that my instructor (who is far more qualified and experienced than I am) was correct and we should keep pushing on. I'll get him looked into and I am sure everything will work out. There are still groundwork games and confidence building things we can do in the meantime. I can just use it as an opportunity to expend his learning in other areas, just not ridden until the vet gives us the all clear.

Sorry, none of my business but I would not be calling a physio for a lame horse, you need to get him to a vet.

Indeed I will call the vet out. In the meantime though I can do bodywork myself as I am currently training in this area. He enjoys it, it costs me nothing and it has helped him out a great deal in the past. I see no harm in doing this whilst I wait for the vet appointment. I am not doing these things in place of the vet, merely beforehand to see if they help as that could then help narrow the issue down.

Another thought. Your instructor saying the horse is "biomechanically" lame. This bothers me a little - lame is lame. It's a pain response.
It is possible to disguise lameness quite successfully, so her getting you to have the horse very forward could well have made the horse look sounder (and could also explain why he feels completely sound out hacking). True Mechanical unlevelness (a more accurate description , in my humble opinion) is very very rare - it does happen, but generally because the horse has had a trauma, and the structure has healed strangely. Your instructor should not be saying a horse is mechanically lame, unless he/she knows the horses history, and can explain precisely what structure is involved, and how the mechanical lameness has occurred.

I agree with you wholeheartedly that lame is lame. I just assumed that her prior experience and knowledge would be relevant to my situation. She said his lameness came from him not using himself correctly and, once he was working properly, the lameness would go and it would act as a form of physio to encourage him to use his muscles in a biomechanically correct way. She said it wasn't unusual for horses that had previously been ridden incorrectly to present lameness like my guy does.

For information, and to give you something to aim for once you've done the vet investigations, you can't compete bitless with Dressage Anywhere, but you can submit a 'training video'. That is a really good way to get more detailed comments and suggestions than you would for a competition entry. I've found the judges are all very clear and positive in their comments, and the training video even more so.
Good luck.

Thank you for that. I didn't know you could submit training videos and the more in-depth feedback sounds like it would be very useful. I will certainly bear that in mind for when my guy is sound again.

I feel a bit guilty having encouraged you to post the videos but I am in agreement with everyone else that he is unlevel and that is why your scores have been so low, not many judges will say the horse is lame they use terms such as uneven strides to cover themselves and on the straight he does look to be sound.

I have had horses move like him and can cover it up in a lesson or when I ride by getting them more active, changing the flexion or whatever but I know they are lame so would not continue to do so without looking into it, your instructor is wrong to make statements about him being biomechanically lame without any grounds to do so, yes she can get him looking ok in a lesson but she is only delaying the inevitable and in my mind is taking your money under false pretenses, she should have been honest with you some time ago and suggested a vet check.

I would not waste time with physio I would put money on it being his feet, either poor balance, low under run heels with long toes or something going on inside, he is probably bilaterally lame with one, think it is the off fore being worse, get the vet out and start with the feet as that is where most problems are and he is a classic case of a horse coping with a degree of foot pain. Foot pain will cause related tension so a physio may find and treat those areas but will not address the primary cause, get the physio after the vet not before otherwise you will be wasting time and money.

Don't worry about it! At least I know why I am getting low scores now and I can look into why my horse isn't sound. If people don't tell you, you don't know. So, even though initially I regretted posting this thread, I am glad I did as now I can move on - myself and my horse will be better for it. :)

His feet were done the other day and the trimmer remarked on his perfect balance. If anyone wants some foot pictures I am more than happy to get them (as who doesn't love pictures of horses' feet) but I will get them checked too.

Firstly, congratulations to OP to wanting to improve and for taking the comments on board - it can't be nice to hear that everyone sees a lame horse.

I agree that unless you instructor is also a vet they are not really in a position to diagnose biomechanical lameness. I do feel such a thing exists as I am 'lame' myself at times following a bad knee injury although I am not usually in pain when I am limping.

In your shoes, OP, I would save my pennies and time and skip the body worker and go straight to the vet. I am not a vet but from what I saw in the video this is not something that a bit of alternative treatment will resolve.

Good luck with getting to the bottom of your horse's issue.

Nope, not nice at all! Still, sometimes the things we need to hear aren't always nice. Initially I was quite upset by it all, but not because anyone was being horrible - I was more upset at myself for letting my horse down and not seeing it sooner. I can now move on and start on the path to getting him sound and comfortable.

I am training to be a body worker myself, so I can offer that to him whilst I wait for the vet. He enjoys it and it has helped him in the past, so I see no harm in doing some with him until the vet can come out. :)

If it isn't a silly question, what's the difference between biomechanical lameness and other sorts of lameness?
(Apologies for hijacking your thread, OP.)
No worries! I too would be interested in hearing the definition and what people would class as each type of lameness. :)

Farma

Visit site
I would define the difference as lameness being a pain response and mechanical lameness being not due to pain, but a way of going due to something like joint fusion or an old injury that's healed but affected the way of going once healed.
Not sure on the term biomechanical lameness I only know it as mechanical? maybe someone else can shed light there?

milliepops

Visit site
I would define the difference as lameness being a pain response and mechanical lameness being not due to pain, but a way of going due to something like joint fusion or an old injury that's healed but affected the way of going once healed.

yes i'd agree with this. My mechanically lame horse did not respond to palpation of the joint or surrounding tissues, she had extensive scanning and imaging of the site plus surgery, and did not respond to bute/danilon etc. The vets had already seen adhesions on the damaged area when they did the surgery so that was fairly definitive to me. She DID respond to work, which appears to have loosened off the adhesions and given her a full range of movement again.