CRUFTS 2024 roll call!

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
When I used to get Dog World, the week before Crufts there was always a supplement that highlighted the top winners from the previous year. Often with full page adverts from the owners / breeders
The top dogs often didnt get to win the group a week later, and in some cases not even Best of Breed. If judges get influenced by advertisements and the dog's previous wins, they shouldn't be judging☹️

My favourites are the ones who tag the judges in pictures of their dogs on Facebook......

MurphysMinder

Visit site
My mum used to write the breed notes for Dog World. When she was judging Crufts her phone was red hot in the weeks before from people phoning to tell her of their dogs successes !
Most judges will know the dogs being campaigned at the time, and which are winning, so it really is a pointless exercise but still happens, social media just makes it easier.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
For me, social media has killed showing in my breed. It just allowed a public platform for everyone to air their beef. Obviously there were people who didn't get on before the advent of SM, but it's definitely turned a lot more vicious, even since the early days of things like Pedigree Database where people encouraged boycotts of certain shows and judges etc, and then now where everyone can see where there are clear friendships, don't bother turning up because they think they won't win and then of course they don't, because they're not there, and the cycle continues.

It's also a platform for terrible sportsmanship, pot hunters who have been in the breed five minutes saying 'it wasn't Rover's day today' because although Rover won his tiny class, he didn't get made best of breed, such disrespect to the judge and other competitors. Some of us remember classes so big they had to be split into two sessions and being delighted to be in the first ten placings.