CRUFTS 2024 roll call!

MurphysMinder

Visit site
I guess the issue is that JRTs have traditionally been very diverse as a type (see this thread, everyone has their own opinion on what one is) and the KC have come in and tried to standardise/cookie-cutter it, a long time after the fact.
You’ve only got up look at the other thread running to see the variations .

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
I remember one issue of the Observers Book of Dogs back in the 60's which had a picture of the Jack Russel that looked exactly like the Sealyham x JRT that we had at the RS. The height and weight given fitted our JRT cross who was much bigger than the modern JRT, though still small. A farmer friend of ours in the late 80's/early 90's had a stunning JRT. Smooth coated and longer in the leg than most now. She used to get taken to all the little fun shows and was always well placed. These days people mostly see the short legged type with a slightly longer back, I prefer them more in proportion.

Chippers1

Visit site
I was disappointed that when they picked photos from the public for each group, the gundog group was a labradoodle and not my lovely English setter 😆 The ES had hardly any mention!
How do you get to be on the discover dogs stand? I reckon Clover would love it, she loves people (and treats).

Patterdale

Visit site
I was disappointed that when they picked photos from the public for each group, the gundog group was a labradoodle and not my lovely English setter 😆 The ES had hardly any mention!
How do you get to be on the discover dogs stand? I reckon Clover would love it, she loves people (and treats).

It’s usually the breed societies I think, contact them and ask. I think we’ll try and get on the stand next year too. I didn’t even get to see Discover Dogs this year!

Jenko109

Visit site
Really ? I think perhaps you have not met many people into showing dogs .

That's out of context though isn't it.

It was not used towards someone showing their JRT.

It was used to describe dogs which are completely different (by the owners own admission) to that of the show dog in question.

I don't think anybody who shows dogs would be offended by an example which they feel is not in keeping with the breed standard, being described as pet quality. I'm pretty sure they all do that themselves when rehoming puppies not cut out for the show ring.

Goldenstar

Visit site

It was used to describe dogs which are completely different (by the owners own admission) to that of the show dog in question.

I don't think anybody who shows dogs would be offended by an example which they feel is not in keeping with the breed standard, being described as pet quality. I'm pretty sure they all do that themselves when rehoming puppies not cut out for the show ring.

But to say to someone who does not show dogs about their dog is a completely different thing .

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I guess the issue is that JRTs have traditionally been very diverse as a type (see this thread, everyone has their own opinion on what one is) and the KC have come in and tried to standardise/cookie-cutter it, a long time after the fact.
Indeed, and I wish that the KC , who I despise, had continued to stay well away from them.

Part of the charm of the breed is the diversity, but having owned JRTs for over 30 years I’ve still never seen a dog that is claimed to be a JRT that looks like the Crufts example. It’s a cracking nondescript terrier in my book.

But hey, I only have pet dogs. What does a muppet like me know. Except that getting the KC involved is always going to be bad news to dogs.

SkylarkAscending

Visit site

I’ve already explained why I felt it was a bitchy comment - please see above. I may not show my JRTs because I loathe the show scene and particularly Crufts as it is run by the Kennel Club, but after 50+ years of exposure to the show scene I do know quite a lot about it and am entitled to my view.

This whole conversation is going round in circles when people are never going to agree

Clodagh

Visit site
why do some people have an issue with the kennel club ?
Are we allowed one point each, no repetition? I’ll bagsie what I think is CC’s main gripe, no DNA testing so when you buy a registered pup it could be out of any bitch and be by any dog.
(Presumably of the same breed).
There… someone else’s turn.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Whilst it is better than nothing and it's better to have a registered dog than an unregistered dog IMO, it's a gentleman's club and not a true animal registry as there is no DNA bank and it lags way behind/has been far slower than the individual breed clubs in driving positive change in terms of health, temperament and structure.
They will basically register anything as long as the fee is paid and very basic regulations adhered to, which are rarely checked up on. This lack of oversight unfortunately enables a lot of backyard breeding and puppy farming and registration gives those folks a veneer of respectability and it cheapens the efforts of those trying to do things right.
There are 'recommendations/advice' that you should not breed from dogs with poor health test results, rather than any outright lines in the sand, 'if you do this, you can't play in our ballpark'. For example if a dog has bad hips in my own breed in Germany, it gets a breeding ban and it can't compete in anything.

I'm sure I will think of more....

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site

“Dogs that have been identified as being at risk of producing offspring that would have reduced welfare due to their genetics or the results of screening, are not actively prevented from breeding or being able to register with Kennel Club; so there are no direct consequences for breeders making poor choices leading to producing puppies with poor welfare.

Some diseases that are common in breeds, e.g. syringomyelia in Cavalier King Charles Spaniels, are not protected. There is no recommendation or requirement to not breed those that are affected by this disease.”

MurphysMinder

Visit site
Omg - I only discovered this yesterday and I was appalled. It’s bonkers!!!!

There was a case in Lanc heelers where dogs developed a condition that according to parents health tests was impossible . KC got involved and DNA tests showed mother wasn’t as pedigree stated . The innocent offspring were “deregistered” , breeder got a slapped wrist and temporary ban but is back showing and judging again .