Curious - How many homes/owners has your horse had ?

Asha

Visit site
Just being nosey really.

A comment on another thread got me thinking - about buying a confidence giver for now, with the idea that once its done its job then getting an upgrade . ( I have no problem with that at all !!) Just made me think about my own, and how many times they have had to move families .

So I will start:

Asha - 2 homes then me ( breeder + 1 owner)
Finn - 2 homes then me ( breeder + dealer )
Pip - 1 home then me ( breeder)
Aria, Frank - Homebred , so just me

Finn is the only one where we have seen a real change. He was very quiet and shy when he came. Now !! What a character, it took a good 6 months, but he talks to us all the time. He will whinny when he wants to come in / go out. hes like an alarm clock.

meleeka

Visit site
I don’t know. I wish I did though:(. I think my Welsh only had one home before me, but as she was bought from a sale I can’t be sure. The others just have generic passports so old owners not listed. They all have homes for life now.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
one I bought from the breeder when he was 2, the other had 4 homes before me and he was 10 when I got him I think he was a bit misunderstood bless him.

Visit site
Henry minimum 2
Rosie 2
Diva minimum 3
Alfie ...... idk. Breeder, racing owner, retraining place, private home, home we got him from, us, so 6 minimum but it could be more than that I don't know. (And we moan that he's got separation anxiety lol!!)
Regardless they're stuck with us till they drop now :D

Last edited:

southerncomfort

Visit site
Welsh cob mare - I'm a 4th home although my Dad was previous owner!
Welsh cob X - I believe we are the 3rd home.
Cob - 3rd home.

Amye

Visit site
I don't know... minimum 5 I think! I wish I did know a bit more.

I can see from his passport he was with breeder until he was 4 = 1 owner.

Then went to Austria for 4 years = 2 owners.

Then went back to Germany 2 years = 3 owners (but similar place to breeder...)

Then over to the UK = I assume 4 owners.

Then goes a bit blank for 4 years. He was with the person I bought him off for 6 months and they got him from a dealer 5/6 owners?

That would make me No. 7! Unless something drastic happens he's with me till the end, at 17, he deserves it.

SEL

Visit site
Mare - technically I'm her 4th home (4th by 4 years old sadly), but I knew her and worked with her in home #3 so I'd probably say 3 proper homes. Her first owner / breeder is local and is very happy that I have her now because she can see how well she's doing.

Gelding - not sure, but he was very shut down when he came under my wing (at 12) and is a quiet worrier so I think he's been bounced around a bit. Registered stallion with the Ardennes Stud in Belgium so he was cut late too. He's a bit scared of girls, so was probably more interested in food than breeding!!

Annagain

Visit site
I don't know much about Archie's history but what I do know is quite interesting! I bought him as a 9 year old (according to his passport, suspect he may be a couple of years older) from a dealer who had him from a livery yard owner - it was her details on his passport. I contacted her and she told me he belonged to a righ Russian guy who was playing the country gent and hunted him. He couldn't really ride but was very gutsy so just used to hang on and go - which explains a lot about my poor boy! He had a business deal go wrong and hot footed it back to Russia pretty quickly, telling his livery yard owner to sell him and keep the money to cover his livery so she just sold him straight to the dealer rather than have the hassle herself. She said he'd had him a couple of years and she thinks he bought him from Ireland but we're not sure on that.

M's bredeer tracked us down a few years a few years ago. She sold him as a three year old to someone and she knows that person had to sell him a few months later due to a divorce. She knew that person sold him to a family but my friend bought him from a twenty something woman so he must have had 3 homes between 3 and 5 when she bought him. He's been in the same one for the last 17 years though and isn't going anywhere!

tatty_v

Visit site
My boy was 15 when I got him and I'm his sixth owner - three of his previous owners follow us on fb and had genuine reasons for selling (usually GCSE/A-level/college). He's got a home for life with me, which I think he is very relieved about as he is a creature of habit and routine and finds change very difficult to deal with!

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
DP breeder until 2 yrs, friend until 3 1/2 yrs, then me. Now 8 yrs old.
B breeder until weaned, #1 until 2 yrs, #2 until 5 yrs, #3 until 8 yrs then me. Now 10 yrs old.

Both with me until our dying days.

Both fully passported and histories known from birth and I was in touch with DP's breeder last week for a quick update.

Sheep

Visit site
Mine has had 4 owners, but only lived in 3 places. He's a real local boy, there's than 15 miles distance in total from breeder to where he is now. Essentially he has stayed in the same town all his life :)
He was bred by DB, sold to BI, who in sold him to AT and I bought him from AT. He then stayed on same yard when I bought him.
His breeder has a really distinctive name so I was able to track her down very easily, she sent me foal photos etc which was lovely. Through his other owners I more or less have his full history :)

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
V-born in Portugal, then two homes before me when I bought him as a 3yo
N-breeder, then god knows how many scrag end dealers, then his owner then to me on loan (at 14)
G-born in Portugal, another premises there before mine although I owned him, then me and now out on loan.
D-I bought him as a weanling
R-breeder, other owner, dealer very briefly then me (he was 9yo when I bought him)

Auslander

Visit site
Im Alf's 3rd owner since the age of 4 (now 21) - but no idea how many homes he had before then, as the trail went cold. Probably at least 3 - breeder, showjumpIng yard in Ireland, and a yard in the UK.

KrujaaLass

Visit site
My little pony,Zena, who we lost at 36 only ever had two homes and only ever lived in two places. Her first owners mare had her on his daughters birthday. He had her for 16 years. When she was given to us he said”you’ll get a couple of years out of her”. We had her another 20 years. I rode her, my daughter, and then my granddaughter. She was never sick in all that time.

AandK

Visit site
I honestly don't know! 28yo I got age 7 from a dealer, she had come over from Ireland so I'm guessing at least 3 (breeder, owner 1, then dealer) possibly more in between breeder and dealer, who knows! 21yo I got age 5 from a friend of a friend who was selling on behalf of his owner, he came from Ireland as an unbroken 4yo so I am guessing 3 as well (breeder, owner, person I bought him from), I doubt he had another owner after his breeder due to his age at import.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Frank There's 4 in his passport, not sure what he did up to age 8, was owned by a teenage girl who outgrew his ability as much as anything from age 8-12. Was sold to someone who put him on livery down the road, decided he was dangerous (the first of 8 ponies she bought and sold that summer) and we bought him 3 months later at 12 and he's now 25.
Interestingly when the previous girl's parents bought him she was a small 12yo dot on him, I'm not sure I'd have sold him to them knowing him but he certainly is not dangerous.

Mum's mare, 4. Breeder, sold at 2 to someone else on the yard who had always wanted a palomino but had physical disabilities that meant it really wasn't the best plan. Sold at 5 to someone who put her on livery down the road who'd always wanted a palomino, 8 weeks later she'd fallen out with her boyfriend, the car was broke, there was no money and she'd pretty much had to abandon the mare who didn't quite know what to do with that situation having been mollycuddled all her life. We were looking for an older, dark coloured gelding :p, and that seemed to work rather than always wanting a palomino as she has been here 14 years now.

Part of me does think in future rather than looking (as we had traveled around previously we should just wait for cast offs from the local DIY yard)....

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Difficult to tell sometimes isn't it, because the details don't always get recorded :rolleyes3:

Salty - don't really know, all that was in her passport was her breeder but having spoken to her, there are probably 3 others before me.

Kira - breeder, then 2 more then me.

Millie - afaik breeder then 2 more then me. She only has HAPPA in her passport, one of those homes was another loan.

Millie and Kira will def be with me for life, hopefully will be able to say the same for salty :)

irishdraft

Visit site
I bought my mare at goresbridge as a 3 yo put in by breeder she's now 18.
My gelding direct from breeder as a weanling he's now 11.
Bought another as an 11 yo who has had 2 homes but most of that time with one person who I know .

JJS

Visit site
Sixpence has been in a lot of homes. He was bought by the family I loaned him from aged seven, but then passed around from child to child as they outgrew him, never staying for more than a year or two with each (the same as lots of small ponies). I got him on loan for my little sister almost seven years ago, was recently gifted him, and will let him live out the rest of his days here.

Tudor is something of a mystery. I don't know what happened between his breeder and then, but by two he was in a very sorry state. He was rescued by an amazing family-run concern in Bantry, after finding himself with a dealer who starved him, abused him, and left him with the worst worm burden of any horse they or their very experienced vet had seen. That means he's had at least four homes (breeder, dealer, rescue, and then me), but who knows if there were any others in-between the first and second.

Mary has also had four that I know of. She was left to her own devices - completely untouched and unhandled - until four, when she wound up with a dealer. Said dealer sold her newly broken to the person I got her from, who got her with the intention of bringing on and selling on. That meant that by the time I bought her, she'd gone from one home to four in the space of about 10 weeks. Luckily for her, that was the last upheaval she'll ever have to go through.

Baby Flower has just had the one home - with me - and that's unlikely ever to change. She's with me for life, as they all are.

SEL

Visit site
^^^ lovely for baby Flower to be in that situation. Given how horses are creatures of habit and routine it must be very disruptive for them to be moving owners / homes regularly.