Cyclists, well triathletes...LOOOONG RANT.

Sophstar

Visit site
There's always a lot of cyclists round our yard, we are in amongst little villages where the roads are popular routes for them. Half of them are polite and decent, slow down, give you room and pop in a hello when out riding and the other half are typical, self centered, 'I'm almost an olympic cyclist' kind of ****. RANT AHEAD.

Today, my respect of all cyclists in particular the ones who were competing in a local triathlon was completely diminished and replaced with disgust. Out riding my new horse whose been hacked out both weekend days and is proving to be a star with a bit of work and confidence building and considering it's all been new to him, has had a snort and small spook but nothing that I wouldn't expect settling into a new home/new rider/coming back into work.

A triathlon was on today *N.B there were no warnings, no posters, no nothing to say this was on, our only knowledge was a road was shut further up from us. Again no reason as to why* We were a third of the way round a short route round the block and cyclists had past us and we only twigged when we saw numbers on their vests and they were proving to be the arrogant, I'm coming full speed at you and will happily cut you up kind. New horse behaving, little wary but coping well.

Out of the blue something spooked horse who shot forward, braked, and threw a rather spectacular OMG twisty kind of shape in the road. I managed to stay on for most and almost perfectly timed a dismount, landing on my feet but he pulled me and I spectacularly fell flying backwards cracking head full whack on the road. THANK GOD FOR HATS. Horse walked in direction of home and friend stood still on horse in the hope of him not legging it further. I was within a foot of grabbing him, after I somehow sprung myself back onto my feet and he decided he was having none of it and headed trotting to home. Now this isn't the bit that has genuinely upset me. Horses are unpredictable and accidents happen. I started running to catch up and friend moved swiftly to catch him up BUT the arrogant inconsiderate ****, I mean cyclists just keep on competing. I shouted at a cyclist to warn people ahead and he blanked me. So horse trotting loose down road and every single cyclist kept going full speed at him to go past and then one had a cheek to shout at my friend who was trotting to catch up as he 'was in the way'. By luck, one of the mechanics at the garage could hear him approaching and waved him to a stop and the next car in the road was a horse trailer so woman blocked road and got out to hold him, whilst the cyclists zoom on past and me legging it down the road minus a horse.

Cyclists get on their high and mighty and demand respect on the road but it would help if they gave it to other road users. Horse would have probably stopped earlier if he didn't have ignorant idiots zooming past him with not one cyclist slowing down to help calm the situation. Apparently getting a certain race time is way more important than a loose horse potentially flatttening them. Rant over. My head hurts way too much to continue and I'm already planning a very curt complaint to the organiser who put NO WARNINGS out. GRRR. :mad:

Luci07

Visit site
Just a small thing but have you checked with your council? Because if it is a genuine race, they would have had to tell and "book" it with the council. I would then put an alrighty complaint into the council and organisers. Point out the lack if warning and signage was also really dangerous. Might make someone think another time.

littleshetland

Visit site
I'm very glad that you and the horse are ok.

I wonder how people would feel if we 'raced' or rode our horses competitively up the road, a public highway?
Or raced cars, or motorbikes?
How do cyclists get away with it......?

I live in a similar type of area to you - LOTS of cyclists - I know how you feel - glad you're OK.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
OP you've had a nasty bang on the head so PLEASE please get yourself checked out ASAP. Then get rid of the riding hat you were wearing at the time and buy a new one. Sorry, you probably know to do this anyway.

THEN please report this incident to your local police as it was an accident on the public highway in which you were hurt. Unfortunately, the law does not require cyclists to be recognisable by registration plate or anything, but you should still report it as an accident in which you were injured basically.

Also report it to the BHS who are collating information on incidents of this nature.

Then.......... you could contact your local parish council, parish councillors, local press, the whole blimmin show - local TV and radio even, and tell them of your experience on this occasion.

The sheer stupidity, callousness and selfishness of some cyclists is just beyond belief. Words fail me basically.

But thank god you and horse are OK. That, at least, is something to be thankful for on this occasion. Your poor horse, I bet he was as shaken up as you :(

tankgirl1

Visit site
Thats awful OP I would be fuming too! I hate cyclists, we have loads round here and they think nothing of causing tailbacks on busy roads when they are competing, drives me insane! Second what Tiddlypom said about getting your bonce checked out btw

pottamus

Visit site
Thats awful OP I would be fuming too! I hate cyclists, we have loads round here and they think nothing of causing tailbacks on busy roads when they are competing, drives me insane! Second what Tiddlypom said about getting your bonce checked out btw

Well I would just like to say that we are NOT all the same, so please do not make sweeping statements like that. I am a horse rider (hacker) and cyclist...so I am considerate with horse riders and I know a lot of other cyclists that are too...male and female alike!

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
Many years ago we bought and hacked home a horse, we ended up in the middle of a cycle race, there had been no warnings the week before, or on the day. Just 50+ idiots screaming and swearing at us, nearly touching the mares legs, fortunately she was as bomb proof as we had been told. More recently we had two races locally on the same day, one advertised one not. My mare was nearly taken of the road by the 'support car', so determined were they to clear the road for the cyclists!

dreamcometrue

Visit site
We have the Tour de France coming to us shortly. A lovely sporting event but it will effectively cut me off from my horse for the weekend as the route goes between me and the stables! Not to mention all the wannabes that will be swooping around the lanes in packs of 20.

Like OP I find that 50% are lovely and courteous and the other 50% are maniacs who, despite being on a bike, do not know what hand signals mean.

MagicMelon

Visit site
Just a small thing but have you checked with your council? Because if it is a genuine race, they would have had to tell and "book" it with the council. I would then put an alrighty complaint into the council and organisers. Point out the lack if warning and signage was also really dangerous. Might make someone think another time.

This. I'd be extremely annoyed like you OP! That's so dangerous, I'm so glad your horse is ok though as it could have been much worse. Some cyclists are in a bubble of their own, all sense goes out of the window when they're on a bike. I even had one cyclist (all dressed up in the usual lycra) turn up at my door a few months ago basically telling me that he'd got lost and was now late to pick up his children from school so would I take him home!! But he said it in such an arrogant, assuming way as if I was expected to take him, no please or anything - absolutely crazy! He was also a good 20 minute drive from where he wanted to be, he wanted me to load up my toddler (I was on my own) and drive a sweaty strange man in my car with his filthy muddy bike in my boot?! I told him to get cycling...

Echo24

Visit site
I sympathise with you OP. I used to ride an. ISH who was good as gold with cyclists coming TOWARDS him but often spooked when they come from behind as he can't hear or see them. The number of times I used to hack out and was caught off guard by a hoard of cyclists whizzing past us from behind with no warning was unreal! I now hate hacking on roads for this reason!

turnbuckle

Visit site
Huge sympathy. Most cyclists are charming, make a real effort to slow and give warning and I make a real effort to thank and smile.

But a good percentage are vile, utterly inconsiderate and have NO idea about horses.

Totally agree with the poster who suggested you go to town. At the very least insist on a meeting with the organising committee to seriously rocket them.

Perhaps worth speaking to your local police. One wonders if that sort of behaviour isn't "due care and attention" at the very least. I would be tempted to think it might be seen as rather more serious than that.

Good luck.

And get your head checked out!

Sophstar

Visit site
After researching what the event was, I discovered it was the Leisure Centre's sprint triathlon. You guessed it...the council owned leisure centre.

Sent an email to our Horse Watch Police officer for advice (i work for Hampshire Police) so hopefully can get a complaint in with Police backing and improve communication when events pike these take place especially in a very horse populated area.

The Nhs tell me to rest, pop paracetamol and go to a and e should symptoms get worse. Helpful folk. Sergeant is letting me work half day so will swing in to the hospital if the head still aches. Getting better but body just aches and holes from gravel in my elbow are tender! Good old bank holiday fun.

AnotherNewbie

Visit site
We have many cyclist groups that use the lanes around our house. I don't ride on the lanes here so can't comment about what they are like with horses, but they are bad enough with cars! They seem to think they are invincible! Mum nearly had a nasty collision once at a cross roads where they all piled out in front of her (the WRONG way across the cross roads!) She stopped them further down the road to find out where they were from so could send them an email. She sent a polite message reminding them they weren't the only people on the roads and how close they had come to what could have been a fatal accident had she not known the roads....she got a grotty message back saying they knew the rules of the road, but just misjudged her speed! She had slowed to about 30mph on a 60mph road, as had seen them coming....now if she hadn't slowed then she could have hit them all side on! Load of *insert suitable word here* haha. Now I just enjoy clearing all the black smoke out of my exhaust if they are of the 'ride in a pack and not let people past' sort. I have no choice as have to accelerate that much to get past them....ahem....

PS I'm not a nasty person really!

OWLIE185

Visit site
Some years ago the NFU Countryside magazine reported on a court case which was as a result of a cycle race failing to stop for some horse riders and causing an accident in which the horse riders were seriously injured. The injured riders were awarded substantial compensation in this case.
He warned all organisers of road races that they must have a car at the front and back and that in the event of meeting horse riders they must stop the race and allow the horse riders to get to a place of safety off the road before re-starting the race.
As regards cyclists like in all walks of life there are good and bad. Some of the racing cyclists seem to refuse to stop for anything because it will increase their road time.

Landcruiser

Visit site
Can't count the times cyclists have zoomed up behind and passed close, only to be heard and seen at the last second. Luckily my horse is used to it and rarely does more than a little startle - but the first time it happened, when I'd not long had him, he "bolted" without warning ,cause I hadn't seen or heard the bikes either. Not fun, and could have been much worse than it was. It's sheer ignorance of horses and what they are like, shared by so many people, cyclists and car drivers alike. I have to say that in my experience the best of the lot are motorcyclists, who almost invariably slow down and pass wide, and I've even known the off-roaders we get round here to pull over and turn off their engines. If only the majority of cyclists were as polite and sensible.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
OP, glad you're ok today, albeit battered and bruised.

You seem to have the right connections to get something done about this, but how bleddy stupid of the council not to publicise the triathlon to those who might be affected, in advance.

Equi

Visit site
They have a right to be on the road also, i have no problem with them. Other road users rant about us in the same way. However they need to respect and be careful of us too! It is unacceptable to just ignore us because they are on a time trial. But i generally advise people to avoid hacking if there are bike races to be on.

Woolly Hat n Wellies

Visit site
We have the Tour de France coming to us shortly. A lovely sporting event but it will effectively cut me off from my horse for the weekend as the route goes between me and the stables! Not to mention all the wannabes that will be swooping around the lanes in packs of 20.

I am in the same situation. The Tour de France will go between my house and the farm where my share horses live. we already have the wannabes swooping round the lanes in packs of 20. The regular cyclists who go out in ones and twos tend to be pretty good on the whole, and will generally ring their bell or shout "bike!" as they approach the horses, and we can mostly exchange a 'good morning' with them, but lately there have been a lot of big groups, pulling out to pass each other without looking and causing huge hold-ups to the extent that we have decided to forgo a number of weekend hacks because we know that the drivers will be so frustrated with packs of cyclists that they won't want to slow down for horses if they can possibly squeeze past!

On one occasion I saw a group of these boy racers on bikes (I was behind them in the car) come up behind an old man cycling alone. They swept past him on both sides, so close they were almost touching him, and how he stayed on board I have no idea. I actually came to a stop because I was so sure he was going to end up on the floor at any moment. God knows what they would have done if they'd come up behind a horse. I suspect that these people are the same sort who find it acceptable to bully people on the road when they're in their cars as well.

Not all cyclists are pig-headed ********s, but when you put a pig-headed ******** on a bike it's an infuriating combination for every other road user!

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Student son is one of the volunteer marshals for Day 2 of the TdF, the York to Sheffield stage! He had to apply online and give a 100 word statement as to why he felt was up to the job. He was very excited to be accepted, and he will get training prior to the event. We'll probably be there too at the Sheffield end, getting a glimpse of the peloton as they race past. I apologise in advance if we are some of those spectators who will be blocking your usual roads!

He is one of the 'good' cyclists, who always slows down for horses (he has that drummed into him ;)). He tends to cycle on his own. However, he recently had a major rant on Facebook about the appalling rudeness shown to him by most horse riders, who totally blank him when he slows right down or even stops for them! He got a lot of support for his displeasure.

Courtesy goes both ways.

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
Student son is one of the volunteer marshals for Day 2 of the TdF, the York to Sheffield stage! He had to apply online and give a 100 word statement as to why he felt was up to the job. He was very excited to be accepted, and he will get training prior to the event. We'll probably be there too at the Sheffield end, getting a glimpse of the peloton as they race past. I apologise in advance if we are some of those spectators who will be blocking your usual roads!

What an amazing opportunity for your son! Hope he has a fantastic time! I am going to try to get up there for the first or second stage. I love cycling, often prefer it to watch than equestrian sports. I understand why there are posters complaining about not being able to get to their horse but the stages should finish around 2/3pm, judging by what usually happens in the TDF, so just do your horse later on. Take the chance to give your horse a day off and enjoy the fact that a legendary race is coming to Yorkshire!

He is one of the 'good' cyclists, who always slows down for horses (he has that drummed into him ;)). He tends to cycle on his own. However, he recently had a major rant on Facebook about the appalling rudeness shown to him by most horse riders, who totally blank him when he slows right down or even stops for them! He got a lot of support for his displeasure.

Courtesy goes both ways.

I've said this on these threads before. I cycle, walk, ride and drive a car. By far the worst road users I come across are other horse riders. They rarely even acknowledge a driver, never mind saying thank you, think they can ride wherever they like, never wait, just barge on through people and traffic. I have had one bad experience with a cyclist in all the years I've been riding, and I have encountered a lot of them. However horse riders are a bl00dy nuisance generally, whether you are in the car or riding yourself. If you're on a bike then despite slowing down and giving them plenty of warning, they usually give you an earful about manners, how nervous their (half dead, head on the floor, fat old nag) horse is. IME cyclists always slow down, say hello or ring a bell, try to be considerate. My horse isn't great with bikes and I often see mountain bikers on the roads on their way up to the hills by us - if he starts to get upset, they usually get off and walk, despite me saying there is no need!

twobearsarthur

Visit site
I am in the same situation. The Tour de France will go between my house and the farm where my share horses live. we already have the wannabes swooping round the lanes in packs of 20. The regular cyclists who go out in ones and twos tend to be pretty good on the whole, and will generally ring their bell or shout "bike!" as they approach the horses, and we can mostly exchange a 'good morning' with them, but lately there have been a lot of big groups, pulling out to pass each other without looking and causing huge hold-ups to the extent that we have decided to forgo a number of weekend hacks because we know that the drivers will be so frustrated with packs of cyclists that they won't want to slow down for horses if they can possibly squeeze past!

On one occasion I saw a group of these boy racers on bikes (I was behind them in the car) come up behind an old man cycling alone. They swept past him on both sides, so close they were almost touching him, and how he stayed on board I have no idea. I actually came to a stop because I was so sure he was going to end up on the floor at any moment. God knows what they would have done if they'd come up behind a horse. I suspect that these people are the same sort who find it acceptable to bully people on the road when they're in their cars as well.

Not all cyclists are pig-headed ********s, but when you put a pig-headed ******** on a bike it's an infuriating combination for every other road user!

We live on the route of the second day and I am already dreading it.
We re a very small village we are not going to be able to leave our vehicles outside our homes (god knows where we will put them) nobody has come up with a solution.
We will either be trapped in our home or away from it for the weekend.
And absolutely no provisions have been made as to what they are going to do with or where they are going to put the spectators/volunteers etc....
Never mind how all of a sudden dozens of wannabe Wiggins have taken over the roads. I am sure there are polite considerate cyclists but I am yet to see one around our village as they all seem to think they are in the Olympics and can't slow down stop or move to the side of the road for horses cars or anyone else.
OP I would report to police council and the BHS. Get your head checked and treat yourself to a new hat.

blitznbobs

Visit site
My beef with cyclists is that I am not allowed to race my car on the road. I am not allowed to race my horse on the road but they feel it's their God given right to race down our roads every single Saturday and Sunday...

Nuff said.

Blitz

twobearsarthur

Visit site
My beef with cyclists is that I am not allowed to race my car on the road. I am not allowed to race my horse on the road but they feel it's their God given right to race down our roads every single Saturday and Sunday...

Nuff said.

Blitz

I had never thought of it like this but you have hit the nail on the head!!!

AshTay

Visit site
I don't get why horseriders are expected to physically thank drivers and others who take evasive action around them and get called all-sorts if they don't (or do but it isn't seen) but cyclists aren't expected to so much as nod or smile at cars that have to take evasive action around them (and I reckon that cyclists result in more delay to car journeys than horses do...).

Last edited:

Fides

Visit site

Nuff said.

Blitz

Agreed. And sometimes exceeding the speed limit in built up areas. Although in these cases they aren't holding the cars up, it is dangerous when you are turning left (and indicating to do so) and a cyclist speeds past on the left hand side :( death wish?

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
Agreed. And sometimes exceeding the speed limit in built up areas. Although in these cases they aren't holding the cars up, it is dangerous when you are turning left (and indicating to do so) and a cyclist speeds past on the left hand side :( death wish?

Most cyclists are happy if they can average 16mph on a ride so if you're routinely seeing people going over 30mph, or even more, then you've probably encountered the GB team!! I've seen a few going a fair whack on a straight national speed limit road, in a time trial or race, but you would just never see someone doing over 30mph in a built up area. You can't get up that sort of speed when there are cars, buses, people etc around. I'm impressed if you've seen any cyclist going over 30mph...

ihatework

Visit site
In a normal day to day setting the cyclists around my way are fantastic when they encounter horses. Be that individual hobby cyclists or small groups that are obviously out training/taking it more seriously. I always say thanks to cyclists who show consideration.

When in the car I have never seen a cyclist show any form of recognition /appreciation / thanks that I as a car driver have gone out of my way to wait behind them until it is obviously safe and clear to overtake. Can cyclists on this thread comment as to why this is?

Round here it is generally 50/50 if a horse rider thanks a car.

I think the major problem I have encountered with cyclists was meeting them in the middle of a planned race that had not been signposted (otherwise I would have avoided). Was going down a narrow bridle way when I was met by a stream of mountain bikers, probs 50 in total.

Some screached to a halt, some slowed down, others ploughed on past at full speed. I was riding a 4yo at the time who prior to then did not have an issue with bikes. He was petrified and it took me 6 months of careful confidence building to stop him spinning in panic at the sight of a bike :(

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Round here the individual cyclists we meet are fine and I have even been thanked for slowing/avoiding them whilst driving my car but when they are in groups they take on a different personality altogether and don't seem to notice any other road users at all. I agree with other posters about rude hrse-riders as well, they drive me mad.
We are scheduled to have campsites all around us for TdF, as well as some roads being closed. Fortunately the horses are at home, so we shall have no problem getting to them but getting out whether on the horses or by car may well be another matter, it is to be hoped that there is no emergency, either human or equine while the roads are closed.
The worst aspect, I think, will be all the spectators who will only get to see a few minutes of the race but will be marauding around the district before and after the main event, getting 'their money's worth' from their camping weekend. I think that weekend will be a washout as far as doing anything horsey is concerned. I would plan to go on a shopping spree to Robinson's in Warrington if I dared to leave the horses with all those walkers and cyclists 'exploring' the area.