Cyclists, well triathletes...LOOOONG RANT.

shadowboy

Visit site
To be fair when there is a fun ride on organisers rarely put notices up in advance despite the fact that dog walkers/walkers may be crossing fields and some fun rides use small section of roads- I recently went on one where there were about 250 horses going down a half mile stretch of country road. As much as I feel for you, I also see the other side of the story- my husband does triathlons (he's also a horse rider) and some of the races are qualifiers and if they don't make the time that's their season out- and unfortunately there is 'no excuse' for hold ups before crossing the line. It's a shame none of them stopped I agree that it would have helped! I hope your head is ok!

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I think that weekend will be a washout as far as doing anything horsey is concerned. I would plan to go on a shopping spree to Robinson's in Warrington if I dared to leave the horses with all those walkers and cyclists 'exploring' the area.
I should think that hunkering down for the duration will be the best bet. Get supplies in and pretend you're snowed in :).

teapot

Visit site
Awful situation - trust you've posted a succinct account of the event on their various social media outlets? :wink3:

Mince Pie

Visit site
I've said this on these threads before. I cycle, walk, ride and drive a car. By far the worst road users I come across are other horse riders. They rarely even acknowledge a driver, never mind saying thank you, think they can ride wherever they like, never wait, just barge on through people and traffic. I have had one bad experience with a cyclist in all the years I've been riding, and I have encountered a lot of them. However horse riders are a bl00dy nuisance generally, whether you are in the car or riding yourself. If you're on a bike then despite slowing down and giving them plenty of warning, they usually give you an earful about manners, how nervous their (half dead, head on the floor, fat old nag) horse is. IME cyclists always slow down, say hello or ring a bell, try to be considerate. My horse isn't great with bikes and I often see mountain bikers on the roads on their way up to the hills by us - if he starts to get upset, they usually get off and walk, despite me saying there is no need!

I think it depends on your area, where I am the riders are courteous, the drivers are really really good and the cyclists are complete RSoles! In other areas I've found pig ignorant drivers, riders or cyclists - in one memorable area all three.

pip6

Visit site
Write a formal complaint to the highways dept of your council, as they would have authorised the road closure, also ask for a copy of the Order so you can check it was accurate. BTW it costs about 3k to do a road closure, council leisure centre or not as they have to post notices for 3 consecutive weeks in local papers (ask which ones they used) & must display copies of the Order in the affected road at least 2 weeks before the event. Any complaints should make sure they do things propoerly in the future, so you would at least know about it. Ask the council to make it a condition of granting any futures Orders that notices are displayed along the route where members of the public will potentially conflict with entrants as part of their risk assessment. I run an endurance ride, no road closures, no racing & I have to put up notices in area so people can choose not to go there that day if they don't want to meet loads of horses.

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
Unfortunate situation, but a bit of a one off I'd like to think.

I have no issue with bikes coming past quickly (although we don't tend to get big groups if them in our area) if I feel fine with a car coming past at 30mph, then a bike should be able to do the same, realistically they go a lot slower, my OHs average bike speed is 17mph, and he's no slouch!

As a triathlete (well, I've done two :p ) I can't tell you the hours of training I put in, and on the day was completely focused, well as focused as I get, for the competitive people they train like nobody's business and I'm sure they'd prefer to not be on live roads too. I think it's bad you weren't aware anything was happening, but I wouldn't like to blame the inviduals themselves, horse riders get incredibly stroppy if you get in their way, ESP on an Xc course ;) . I know it's a bit different being public roads etc but they are out there trying to do a pb and have fun (if you can call it that, masochists!) :)

ihatework

Visit site
I have absolutely no problem with races taking place on the road. I fully support any sport within reason. This however comes with a BUT ..... They should be well signed in advanced and well marshalled, with roads closed if required. This should also apply to club racing/trials.

cptrayes

Visit site
Most cyclists are happy if they can average 16mph on a ride so if you're routinely seeing people going over 30mph, or even more, then you've probably encountered the GB team!! I've seen a few going a fair whack on a straight national speed limit road, in a time trial or race, but you would just never see someone doing over 30mph in a built up area. You can't get up that sort of speed when there are cars, buses, people etc around. I'm impressed if you've seen any cyclist going over 30mph...

We see them all the time here. Hills.

In the seventies my then boyfriend was stopped by the police for exceeding the speed limit on his bike going down a hill in a suburban area.

majors

Visit site
hang on how can they run competitive races on open roads? What about other traffic/emergency vehicles?? We pay money to hire venues for xc and showjumping. Let them do that it they want uninterrupted races.

twobearsarthur

Visit site
What an amazing opportunity for your son! Hope he has a fantastic time! I am going to try to get up there for the first or second stage. I love cycling, often prefer it to watch than equestrian sports. I understand why there are posters complaining about not being able to get to their horse but the stages should finish around 2/3pm, judging by what usually happens in the TDF, so just do your horse later on. Take the chance to give your horse a day off and enjoy the fact that a legendary race is coming to Yorkshire!

I've said this on these threads before. I cycle, walk, ride and drive a car. By far the worst road users I come across are other horse riders. They rarely even acknowledge a driver, never mind saying thank you, think they can ride wherever they like, never wait, just barge on through people and traffic. I have had one bad experience with a cyclist in all the years I've been riding, and I have encountered a lot of them. However horse riders are a bl00dy nuisance generally, whether you are in the car or riding yourself. If you're on a bike then despite slowing down and giving them plenty of warning, they usually give you an earful about manners, how nervous their (half dead, head on the floor, fat old nag) horse is. IME cyclists always slow down, say hello or ring a bell, try to be considerate. My horse isn't great with bikes and I often see mountain bikers on the roads on their way up to the hills by us - if he starts to get upset, they usually get off and walk, despite me saying there is no need!

Unfortunately they are shutting all roads in and around our village the night before through to the evening after when they have cleared up and I have to do my horses in the morning as well as the afternoon as well as visit my terminally ill father.
Sorry if I sound like a killjoy but to be told that if your car is left outside your own house it will be towed and impounded has rubbed me up the wrong way.
As well as the 2-3 mile walk from where I will have to leave my car to get to my house (with my walking stick) if I don't get home the night before in time.
I am the grinch. I hated cycles to start with lol.
Sorry OP for hijacking thread
Rant over now (sorry again).

Sophstar

Visit site
I have no issue with holding these events, the Fleet half marathon shuts off all the roads by our yard but there are signs up warning this weeks in advance. I can live not hacking out if the roads are shut or waiting until they reopen.

I cannot see holding such cycle events is safe when the one road shut off for it (the one where the leisure centre is) then diverts all the traffic onto the other main road where the cyclists are coming. Cyclists were squeezing in between walkers (where there were no pavements) and oncoming cars and many missed cars by inches but none hesitated to patiently wait to get past a car. Nor is it safe for drivers to.be guessing where competing cyclists are going to pop out from.

As i say, half the cyclists in our area are polite and give plenty of space but half will literally get so close they knock your stirrup or like the other day whilst walking out the retired one, my pony looked to the right and nearly knocked a cyclist over he was that close. On horseback or walking in hand i say thank you to every single road user who has the common courtesy to give a horse space. In this area, our motorbike riders are the most polite people on the road and will cut their engines and roll past if necessary.i don't think i've ever had 1 cyclist thank me as a driver for patiently waiting and giving them adequate space.

Brochdoll

Visit site
I'm not sure but I would imagine that it's due to cost that local smaller events don't close the roads. As someone mentioned it costs quite a bit to close them. I'm sure that most of the triathletes would prefer that the roads were closed.
It's pretty irresponsible for the council to have no signs up both as a courtesy to other road users and for the safety of the people taking part in the race.
I took part in my first sprint triathlon last year (I'm not fast but they're shorter ;) ) and it was a well organised event. The slower swimmers went in the pool first so that there were people out on the roads (which weren't closed) for the shortest length of time possible. There were also plenty signs up to warn that there would be cyclists and runners on the road.
Taking part in the same event on Sunday and looking forward to it again! Hoping to beat my time from last year but that doesn't mean I'll leave my manners at home! There's no excuse for rudeness regardless of whether you're on a horse, bike, running or driving!
I hope your head is better soon OP and your horse doesn't have any ill effects either

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
When in the car I have never seen a cyclist show any form of recognition /appreciation / thanks that I as a car driver have gone out of my way to wait behind them until it is obviously safe and clear to overtake. Can cyclists on this thread comment as to why this is?

I'm a pretty consistent thanker as a rider. On a bike if someone has had to wait behind me for a bit I will try to thank with a half hand or a nod - but if going up/down hill this becomes a bit more complicated and am not sure anyone actually notices - in part because drivers past cyclists much faster than they do horses so there is much less time (I am inclined to get stroppy with people not passing me slowly then remember I am on the bike not the horse...) and in part because most cyclists don't - but is definitely more complicated to manage it/get the timing right on a bike!

tankgirl1

Visit site

I'm not sure if you were the person who quoted me earlier in the thread when I had a mini rant about cyclists - I was planning to read to the end and then go back and reply, but just wanted to add my personal experience.

I Ride, walk and drive, and have found personally that cyclists around here rarely acknowledge other road users at all, I can count on one hand the number of times I have had a cyclist pull over if causing a tail back, or nod their thanks as I trail behind them on the windy single track roads waiting until it is safe to pass. We do have arrogant riders too, but I think it is 50/50 those that pull in and nod, and those that plod along oblivious or take up the whole road whilst on their phone, no high viz or hat!!

As a rider I am paranoid about safety and politeness on the roads, and go out of my way to thank anyone who has slowed down, to pull in and get out the flipping way asap when possible, and generally try and be as considerate as possible when on the roads... this is probably why cyclists annoy me so much as most make no effort, around here at least :(

HashRouge

Visit site
Unfortunately they are shutting all roads in and around our village the night before through to the evening after when they have cleared up and I have to do my horses in the morning as well as the afternoon as well as visit my terminally ill father.
Sorry if I sound like a killjoy but to be told that if your car is left outside your own house it will be towed and impounded has rubbed me up the wrong way.
As well as the 2-3 mile walk from where I will have to leave my car to get to my house (with my walking stick) if I don't get home the night before in time.
I am the grinch. I hated cycles to start with lol.
Sorry OP for hijacking thread
Rant over now (sorry again).
I get that it's inconvenient, but it is only for a day and come on, it's the Tour de France, it's a once in a lifetime experience to see it go through your village!!! I'd be renting out my frontroom if I were you :D

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
oh another thing re cycling - if going uphill on a bendy road pulling over is more of an issue than when on pony as the loss of momentum is more galling (and I figure car drivers have to make less effort and will still get there before me ;) )

tankgirl1

Visit site
Most cyclists are happy if they can average 16mph on a ride so if you're routinely seeing people going over 30mph, or even more, then you've probably encountered the GB team!! I've seen a few going a fair whack on a straight national speed limit road, in a time trial or race, but you would just never see someone doing over 30mph in a built up area. You can't get up that sort of speed when there are cars, buses, people etc around. I'm impressed if you've seen any cyclist going over 30mph...

I regularly see someone to do with the GB team out and about in their car (its all stickered up), so presume at least one of them lives round here... and yes have had bikers keep pace in a 30mph zone!

Sorry chestnut cob keep quoting you, not meaning to single you out!!

Annagain

Visit site
I had an interesting incident with a cyclist a while back. I was driving up to the yard one morning in my land rover up a steep hill in a 20 zone which had a few cars parked on the opposite side if the road. I hadn't long turned onto the hill and wasn't even out of 1st gear so was probably doing about 10mph. A cyclist then appeared, coming down the hill incredibly fast. I had nowhere to go but could see he wasn't stopping so just pulled over as far as I could and waited for the impact. Instead of hitting my car he hit the parked car, hard enough to smash the lights. He somehow managed not to fall off, but I still got out of the car to check he was alright. Instead of a yes I'm ok, I got a mouthful of abuse from him telling me I should have given way to him (the only possible passing place was 30m behind him, where he could have stopped had he not been doing about 40mph) as he was a vulnerable road user!

He didn't like it when I pointed out, perfectly politely, the obstruction was on his side of the road and it was therefore his place to stop and regardless of that I had nowhere else to go and was stationary at the time of the incident so I got more abuse again. He then started to cycle off without leaving his details for the owner of the damaged car and only stopped when I said I would follow him to wherever he was going to report his location to the police. I have no idea if the details he left were the correct ones but I left my details too and the owner never got in touch so I assume he did and it was sorted.

I couldn't believe his attitude though, he immediately went on the offensive even when it was clear he was in the wrong. If it was in the Highway Code that drivers had to give way to vulnerable road users regardless of the rules of the road us riders would create miles of traffic queues everywhere we go.

ETA: in light of Chestnut Cob's comments about speed, just want to say I'm not exaggerating about speed. He was 3/4 of the way down a very steep hill at about 6.45am and clearly wasn't expecting to meet anyone on it so was absolutely flying.

Last edited:

lhotse

Visit site
I got told to F off the other week by a group of cyclists who came flying around a blind bend down a hill, 3 abreast, towards me. I asked them to steady up a bit and received verbal abuse. They were on the white line.

In contrast, I was passed by a large group of cyclists last week who all slowed right down to pass me, asked if I was ok when the horse became a little inpatient and were very polite.

Woolly Hat n Wellies

Visit site
I had an interesting incident with a cyclist a while back. I was driving up to the yard one morning in my land rover up a steep hill in a 20 zone which had a few cars parked on the opposite side if the road. I hadn't long turned onto the hill and wasn't even out of 1st gear so was probably doing about 10mph. A cyclist then appeared, coming down the hill incredibly fast. I had nowhere to go but could see he wasn't stopping so just pulled over as far as I could and waited for the impact. Instead of hitting my car he hit the parked car, hard enough to smash the lights. He somehow managed not to fall off, but I still got out of the car to check he was alright. Instead of a yes I'm ok, I got a mouthful of abuse from him telling me I should have given way to him (the only possible passing place was 30m behind him, where he could have stopped had he not been doing about 40mph) as he was a vulnerable road user!

This reminded me of a similar incident, but with a much worse outcome. My dad's friend bought his hedgecutter tractor after the previous owner gave up hedgecutting. He gave up because as he was cutting on a narrow and rather twisty lane one day, with warning signs set up, and flashing lights going, a cyclist came flying down the hill and went straight into the tractor. He didn't stand a chance. The poor tractor driver was absolutely traumatised, and then had to go through an extensive investigation where various parties tried to pin the blame on him. He sold the tractor because he simply couldn't face getting in it again. High speed on country lanes is totally inappropriate, no matter what sort of vehicle you're operating.

Billabongchick

Visit site
Sorry to hear about your incident; can I ask what tri this was? Having done a lot of these in the past I know some of the more elite athletes get speed blinkers on once the adrenalin is pumping.

I would send a complaint to the BTF as well as the organisers as perhaps more emphasis needs to be placed on pre race safety briefings (and out to clubs in general) about safely passing livestock. People can get banned from racing with certain organisers if they show inconsiderate behaviour as these companies make big money now and they don't want to risk annoying local councils etc (although obviously in your case it is council run anyway).

You will always get idiots in any sport but sometimes it is just lack of knowledge and often people doing these events (especially sprint distance races) are beginners or weekend warriors away from the town for their race weekend somewhere scenic and new and hence have no idea about the dangers concerning horses as probably don't encounter many on training rides.

pip6

Visit site
Met a very considerate father & son whilst hacking last weekend. Brilliant that a young man is being taught to ride with thought for others.

WRT speed limits, they apply to everyone, 20 means no more than 20. Even on a 60 country road, say the cyclist is doing 30 & causes an accident. Okay they wont be done for speeding, but can be done for riding without due care/attention or dangerous riding, same applies to cars. Might not be breaking speed limit driving at 60, but if the speed is not appropriate they can be done for d/a & dangerous driving, something many forget. Speed limits are not set according to what the powers that be deem to be safe. So a 60 limit on a country road does not mean its safe to do 60, just that you wont be prosecuted for speeding doing it. BTW, I'm a highway engineer who works for a design consultancy used by the highways agency & councils to design roads.

conkers

Visit site
I get that it's inconvenient, but it is only for a day and come on, it's the Tour de France, it's a once in a lifetime experience to see it go through your village!!! I'd be renting out my frontroom if I were you :D[/QUOTE

I'm sorry, but I don't give a monkeys that it is the Tour de France. I do care that it is already disrupting life for anyone who lives on the route, myself included, and it will continue to do so long after the blooming thing has been and gone. Believe it or not, there are quite a few of us who are sick to the back teeth of the it. And it isn't just because we will be marooned for the few days that the actual competition takes place. We could live with that. It is because of the attitude of the ignorant cyclists that are swarming to the area, who don't care about anyone else as long as they can say they have ridden the route.

happyhack

Visit site
I have never had an incident with cyclist when out hacking, they are all very polite and considerate around horses, but they are incredibly arrogant towards drivers. Cycling 2 or 3 abreast, with gaps between the packs makes it almost impossible to overtake them.

Hope the council apologise at the very least OP, such an avoidable situation!

RunToEarth

Visit site
I'm sorry, but I don't give a monkeys that it is the Tour de France. I do care that it is already disrupting life for anyone who lives on the route, myself included, and it will continue to do so long after the blooming thing has been and gone. Believe it or not, there are quite a few of us who are sick to the back teeth of the it. And it isn't just because we will be marooned for the few days that the actual competition takes place. We could live with that. It is because of the attitude of the ignorant cyclists that are swarming to the area, who don't care about anyone else as long as they can say they have ridden the route.

Wow, what an unfortunate area you must live in. The TDF is coming through home - we are all so excited (I am not remotely a cycle fan). The tourism it has given our local rural economy is fantastic - all the local pubs, B&Bs, camp sites and holiday cottages are full to the brim - the local youth club are organising a big fundraising party for locals and foreigners alike - it is revenue which the local area wouldn't get, and people are flocking to spend money in local businesses which is absolutely not a bad thing.

I suppose our attitude is that the TDF is coming - so you can either embrace it and make the most out of something which doesn't happen very often, or you can winge and complain like a miserable old bat...and it will still happen. I personally can't remember the last time I met a rude or annoying cyclist - they're all normal around us.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
goddam Olympics, Commonwealth Games and TdF coming over here and ruining our calm..

husband is doing the TdF stage, he's very excited-I wish I could go and watch but logistically its a bit of a nightmare.

micramadam

Visit site
Welcome to my world. Holland - a land of bikes. We even having parking garages for them!
Never fail to meet a pelathon (? sp) when out riding on a weekend and we are not talking about organised events here but just local enthusiasts out for a ride with their group. Luckily we have cycle paths and the pelathon's tend to use the road but then 50% of them still don't slow down when they can see a horse, which is annoying and dangerous when you have a young, nervous animal whose confidence you are trying to boost and they can see it jumping around! What's even worse is that they think they own the rights to the road and ignore the rules, going round roundabouts the wrong way, not stopping at junctions, even pulling out in front of cars and expecting the drivers to stop.
The TDF came through our area a couple of years ago but as we were all aware of this, the horsey community stayed away from the roads concerned and it was great!
The majority of the riders over here who hack out have all completed a compulsory training course which basically gives you a license to hack. Children and teens are not allowed to hack without this license if not accompanied by an adult.
The area I live in is known for the large amount of horses, livery stables and riding schools and through experience I would say that 99% of all riders routinely thank drivers, cyclists, skaters (rollerblading is very popular over here too!) for taking care when passing a horse. I have met very few cyclists who even acknowledge you exist! That is not just the racing enthusiasts but the general population.
I have asked a few cyclists not to ring their bells when approaching but to shout 'Hello' and have explained why and they have all been very nice about it and didn't realise the effect it could have on a horse. Most of the time it's because people are ignorant of the havoc a 600KG animal can cause and how dangerous they actually are.
I believe that ALL road users need to be educated on what to do approaching a horse and rider or horse and carriage. Of course you will still have the minority who are total a***holes but these people will be the same in their day to day life.

Sophstar

Visit site
Finally saw a doctor..mild concussion, whiplash and a bruised but not broken elbow. No riding until next week (need to go buy new hat first!) so if anyone would like to exercise a 17hh very babyish 6 year old offers are open!