Daft passport names

SEL

Visit site
Had Bucephalus many years ago. Apparently Alexander the Great's warhorse, but I thought it sounded like an embarrassing disease.

The Ardennes is 'Mirliton de Chincha' on his passport, with 2 generations recorded - sadly not been able to track anything down online. The other one got re-named after she was moved on as a yearling and is the very posh sounding "Idaho Cheyenne Snow Sprinkle". Bit over the top for a meat market rescue bless her!!

Bernster

Visit site
Had a couple with fairly lofty names but who didn't quite live up to them whilst in my care - Watermark IV which I never looked up but presumably means he was the fourth with that rather dull name - and Quezac du Haut Bois who had some pretty good breeding. As it's an unusual name I occasionally google him and he's done pretty well over his career.

Tinky Time I always assumed came from the kids to show but I don't know for sure.

gingernut81

Visit site
My current boys' passport names include Atlantic Highway (a connie) and Flash Gordon (shetland). The Shetland's name suits him but the Connie sounds like a QH name to me! I just call him Tub.

Visit site
All of mine have relatively normal names! All of our homebreds have names beginning with their respective parents name based on gender and they are all to do with the sky. The longest one we have is Mirkwood Song Of The Stars - SOS for short. My dartmoor is Shilstone Rocks Fancy Free - Freebie for short.

We have had a few at work but one that I always remember is - NamedAtDinner. His stable name is Lobster.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
She should be Fran-chess-key-ella if that's Italian, I think. With the emphasis on the chess. It's a very pretty name.

see I was Frances chi ella

so yes.. I can see the issue.

Frank's is mostly consonants so no one has a hope of getting it anywhere near right including me as my mouth doesn't make those noises ;) :D. It was only ever used for BD (at least no one has to announce it) and RC (sorry to our area rep when SJ!)

alwaysbroke

Visit site
Our lively Irish TB came with the passport name of Goodinuff, which I hated, needles to say there were some interesting comments when he wasmout eventing
It has led to us using the inuff for two others though, Duninuff and Coolinuff

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
In a previous lifetime I've had a hand in far to many awful name choices to feel like I should comment on this thread :eek: I think my fave though, was Bob le Cob

One of mine has an unpronounceable prefix (Ashsudi), but it's an amalgamation of the names of the three people who bred her, so could never ever change that. It also gives alliteration like my older horse, which almost looks like I have a pattern going....but then I ruined it with the little one. Her name is very nice, almost too nice, in fact if I'm honest it's a bit twee.

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
Loving these crazy names. Amber was still just a number when I got her so I got to choose her name - what now seems a very boring and ordinary Ambers Echo. I'd hate it if anyone changed it in the future, though. Not that she is going anywhere.

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
Frankie is really Saint Francois and commentators never got the pronunciation right, added that I have a difficult surname, we were usually leaving the ring by the time they got their tongue round it. Plus he is far from a Saint.
Then Tigger is Pro Valour and he is one of the biggest wimps I have ever come across being terrified of everything.

Anyway I usually refer to them as Dumb and Dumber or Kevin and Perry.

Fools Motto

Visit site
Daftest name I've known is Ruff Shod, TB mare. Weatherbys allow some really weird ones!
One of the best names I've heard, is Edna Bucket...

Once had a young Mayhill horse in, called 'Maybe'. Napped for England one minute, went nicely the next... it suited him!
Also had a Mole, a Moose and a Frog to name a few more...

ZondaR

Visit site
My boy is Starry Eyed Surprise. This was a hit in 2002 when I got him and the song was on the radio and I thought that is the perfect description of the look on his face when he saw a jump. We had only started competing and he was always looking around at what was going on around him and not paying any attention to the course and then suddenly there would be a jump in front of him and he would have a look of surprise on his face. I have many photos of his "where-the-****-did-that-come-from" look. His stable name is Pablo, changed from Conor.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
The last one we bred is (Prefix) Broke The Bank.

The cost involved to get him on the ground plus all the extra costs then incurred because I was too ill to care for him from foaling to yearling was immense. He could have been bought in 6 times over. Never mind he is lovely and did really well at his second dressage show today. None of us would keep horses if we did the maths !

Denbob

Visit site
My 4yo IDxISH is Langson Mason Mayhem in his passport, having had him for 4 months I can totally understand the Mayhem part! Although where his stable name of Denzel came from I haven't the foggiest...

Last edited:

Ladyinred

Visit site
My Dartmoor is registered as Jolly Josh. Fine, but she's a mare! No wonder she gets confused, although we call her Millie as she was born in 2000.

Pumpkinbum

Visit site
Used to have a little bay lad we all called Tom, I did anything to avoid using his registered name. (Remarto the Tomato)

Current lass is named after a bottle of wine 😎

Snowfilly

Visit site
There was a horse called "the village bike" that I used to see out competing occasionally about 15 years ago :D

Two friends entered the RC Christmas dressage last year as a pair and put down horses' names as Naked and Starkers. Cue 'here comes Jane, riding Naked.'

swilliam

Visit site
We have a pony called Razzle Dazzle - not particularly odd or contentious. However at one show, the commentator announced my daughter on Sizzle Sausage. I know my handwriting isn't good but.....

Annagain

Visit site
Is anybody else tickled by Tony the Pony (mare) on the for sale section over there>>>>>>? Normally I'm not a fan of using names in adverts but Tony the Pony is a definite selling point.